As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantasy Signups Now Open [BASKETBALL]

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    simo wrote: »
    i'm the opposite, basketball is my favorite sport and i watch every celtics game and mostly every nationally televised game, but i've never been able to get much into fantasy basketball

partly i think because there are few players who come out of nowhere to have big seasons, so it's harder to find "steals", and partly because more than any other sport you have to keep on top of your roster pretty much every day

Same, and the bolded is precisely why I just can't get into fantasy basketball.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It's nothing compared to baseball, fantasy baseball is the most demanding fantasy game I've ever played. I enjoy fantasy basketball because it can be so stat driven; the guys I played with before would get super caught up in who was actually good on the court when none of that matters, it's all numbers.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Yeah, I heard that last night. Dude played there for a month and they retire his number.

Ridiculous.

Allen Iverson must be pissed.

• simosimo Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    It's nothing compared to baseball, fantasy baseball is the most demanding fantasy game I've ever played. I enjoy fantasy basketball because it can be so stat driven; the guys I played with before would get super caught up in who was actually good on the court when none of that matters, it's all numbers.

i haven't played baseball in a while either but that never seemed as demanding to me as basketball

teams usually get at most one day off a week so if you forget to update your lineups your position players and closers are usually fine

obviously you have to keep up on starting pitchers more, but even then in the leagues i played wins and ks were the only non-rate stats for starting pitchers so you could get away with that as well

in basketball (and hockey too i guess though i've never played) the schedule has many more off days so you have to swap guys in and out constantly

though this problem shouldn't be as bad this season with the condensed season meaning fewer days off

bugss2.jpg
    I think there's always the option of only allowing roster changes on Mondays.

This being my first rodeo I'm apt to just keep everything standard unless a bunch of people would like some non standard settings.

I really don't know any better so any input would be appreciated.

• nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    oh yeah bitches
    who won the acc/big ten challenge?
    big ten, baby
    gophers won, badgers lost, big ten wins

good day for basketball

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    natek wrote:
    oh yeah bitches
    who won the acc/big ten challenge?
    big ten, baby
    gophers won, badgers lost, big ten wins

good day for basketball

I read about Trevor Mbakwe yesterday, I think. That sucks. I still hope Minnesota does well without him.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    yeah, mbakwe out for the season and sampson out for however long
    basically our entire post presence gone for the game
    good win and it at least looks good for next year if they can win without those two

still upset about mbakwe though. he was nearly a double double every game

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    I think the Pacers are involved with every trade rumor currently circulating the NBA. Looks like they're in the running for David West, who would be a great firt for them. I just hope the dude stays healthy.

mrsatansig.png
    edited December 2011
    Chris Paul has requested a trade to the Knicks

e: from the same article
    Paul has reached out to Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard(notes) recently, encouraging Howard to find a way for the two to play together, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Oh, awesome. Just what the NBA needs. More stacked teams.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited December 2011
    there is no possible way for the latter to happen if the former does

unless the knicks were to save their amnesty and use it on amare or something

or unless either amare or anthony were part of trades for paul and howard

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
    True. Thankfully the Knicks can barely afford Paul, so Howard is totally out of the question. Still, I hate it when superstar players collude to make super teams in the hopes of an easy championship win.

mrsatansig.png
    edited December 2011
    the former is probably not going to happen either, to be honest

the centerpiece of any deal not involving amare or melo would have to be landry fields (who is even less desirable than he was last year during melo trade rumors, as he had a pretty mediocre end to the year and an awful, awful series against the celtics)

even if paul asserts that he won't sign an extension with anybody but the knicks, i'm sure there are teams who are willing and able to put together a better package than the knicks even for just one year of paul and the slim hope he'll change his mind and take the 5 year max to resign

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    I really don't want the Celtics to trade for Paul. I know Rondo's shooting from the outside is weak, but Rondo hasn't blown out his knee 4 times or whatever it is that Paul has done. I'd rather have a great passer / weak shooter on the court than a great shooter / great passer on the bench in a suit.

edited December 2011
    I agree. I don't think Paul is much of an upgrade over Rondo, if at all. At least they know Rondo can work with their current team (discounting last season's slump). It makes me wonder if Rondo is a locker room problem for them or what?

e: Simo, you know yourself some NBA.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I want to ignore the Paul talk because its been going on almost as long as Melo talk did (and I really didn't want Melo). This whole superteam era is shite.

Landry has potential, even if he did fizzle at the end of the year, its not like he lost any skill, just got lost in the shuffle of Melo, Chauncey, and Amar'e. If Paul were to come, I expect Landry would be gone, but Chauncey would also have to go to make the cap room possible (I think).

A Landry/Douglas/Chauncey for Paul trade is possible according to the Trade Machine.

But I'd rather just react to the Deron Williams news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwdFLD7BCuY

Goose! on
    edited December 2011
    Goose! wrote:
    I want to ignore the Paul talk because its been going on almost as long as Melo talk did (and I really didn't want Melo). This whole superteam era is shite.

Landry has potential, even if he did fizzle at the end of the year, its not like he lost any skill, just got lost in the shuffle of Melo, Chauncey, and Amar'e. If Paul were to come, I expect Landry would be gone, but Chauncey would also have to go to make the cap room possible (I think).

A Landry/Douglas/Chauncey for Paul trade is possible according to the Trade Machine.

But I'd rather just react to the Deron Williams news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwdFLD7BCuY

the problem with billups is that his only real value for a team unable to compete this year is as an expiring contract

but new orleans is not in a situation where they want or need expiring contracts, they have plenty of cap space

add in the higher salary floor and he becomes even less desirable

new orleans is going to want somebody good already locked in to a deal (like rondo, though those rumors seem pretty dead), one or more young potential players they can build around (fields is potentially one of those guys, but certainly not by himself, and almost certainly not with just toney douglas) and/or one or more draft picks (knicks have no 1st rounder in 2012 or 2014)

simo on
    bugss2.jpg
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said Thursday that he has no intentions of trading point guard Rajon Rondo and suggested he's unsure where the rumors that insinuated that he was lusting over New Orleans star Chris Paul originated this week.

I wouldn't trade Rondo either. It's already nearly impossible to guard him, and he barely has a jump shot.

Xehalus on
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I can't wait for Howard to show up with the Lakers, because that is where all big men who start out in Orlando end up.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The Knicks first round pick from this year, Imam Shupert I believe is the spelling, could also be part of a deal. But in reality, the Knicks would probably have to get a 3rd team involved.

You know, as much as I hated Rose and the Bulls last post-season, I have to respect his attitude on all this "Super Team" horseshit.
    “I’m not going to do that. If you want to come here, come here, but it’s not up to me to make that decision,” Rose said Thursday afternoon during his first visit to the Bulls’ practice facility since the NBA lockout unofficially ended. “I’m not paying them. I’m on my rookie contract.”

mrsatansig.png
    I can appreciate that. Most of the top guys in the league seem so buddy buddy to me now it’s disgusting.

Really need some good old fashioned hatred between superstars.

Adding to the already announced opening day schedule - Clippers at Warriors, OKC at Orlando

mrsatansig.png
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    First Jazz at Blazers preseason game announced for December 19th, but they won't start selling tickets for almost another week. Might pick up one of those if it's cheap. Last preseason's Jazz at Blazers was in the Memorial Coliseum for a change of venue, and that's a cool building to watch from inside at sunset time.

But for the regular-season visits, I think instead of flying down to SLC and back to see a game, I might just take the money I'd spend on airfare and get a really really close seat here in town. 100-level at least. But I wonder if any of the up-close seats can be bought at the box office or if they're all reserved by season ticket holders and you have to buy one off them.

SabreMau on
    How much do lower level tix cost there, Sabre?

mrsatansig.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Those really close seats are awesome. I don't know how but my dad managed to get seats in the third row back to a few T-wolves games back when KG was just a rookie. Being that close to the action rules

edited December 2011
    Not entirely sure, as they haven't set up any place to buy single-game tickets for this season yet, only season tickets. But they set up this page pre-lockout when it was assumed there'd be a full schedule, and I'm assuming the non-season-ticket holders' price is the right-hand column.

Uro34.jpg

But the next-to-the-court Spike Lee Jack Nicholson style seats there are in black, not white, and I guess those are all reserved for long-term season ticket holders or VIPs or whatnot. No idea if any of those are for resale by the original purchaser(s).

SabreMau on
    Adding to the already announced opening day schedule - Clippers at Warriors, OKC at Orlando

They do know there's an NFL game that night, right? I thought that was why there were only 3 games this year.

edited December 2011
    Marth wrote:

They do know there's an NFL game that night, right? I thought that was why there were only 3 games this year.

Its Sunday, there are NFL games all day.

Goose! on
    edited December 2011
    SabreMau on
    I take it they scheduled it that way because of Christmas? I can't ever remember there being so many Saturday games.

You are correct, sire.

mrsatansig.png
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that's interesting. I figured they would have just had a regular Sunday.

But it works out perfectly to me, because Christmas Eve always felt like the longest day.

Goose! on
    Related: I have to go to from Manhattan to Newark to fly home on Christmas Eve, which is also the day of the Giants-Jets game in New Jersey! How screwed am I?

What time is your flight? Why would you fly out of Newark as opposed to JFK? Hell even LaGuardia would be better.

If it's a clear night out, it might be cool to see the stadium from that high up

mrsatansig.png
    Goose! wrote:
    What time is your flight? Why would you fly out of Newark as opposed to JFK? Hell even LaGuardia would be better.

Flyin' Southwest. Cheapest option.

The flight is at 2:50 so I may be able to avoid most of the traffic.

Oh yeah, you definitely should be fine. Its a 1 o'clock game. And you're supposed to be to the airport by 2, right? Shouldn't be an issue.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Hearing reports about 5 games in 6 nights type playing. I don't think the elder players on the Spurs would enjoy that kind of matchup if they're some of the ones who get it :P.

Also Spurs get Rockets for preseason. Makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.