As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Straight out of a Lovecraftian horror novel

NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum

Greetings people of the interwebs.

I've just moved into a new housing establishment for half a year and recently I've noticed there's lots of worms on the newly paved driveway. It only shows up when it rains and they al end up trying to crawl into the garage. I've check the neighbour's driveway and they don't seem to have this problem.

I'll show you a pic here:
Worms.jpg

What kind of worms are these?

Are they harmful?

What can be done about these wiggling menace?

714353-1.png
Nylonathetep on

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    They look like some type of grub(beetle larvae).

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    How recently was your driveway paved? Is it possible that you have a gap beneath it for something to have crawled into and died (like a squirrel or other burrowing rodent?

• Options
    edited November 2011
    It was paved 2 months ago. The stuff beneath the payment is bits of small rocks and we never noticed any problems before the pavement.

However we have been using green bins to store organic waste. The bag always leaks leaving some pinkish liquid at the bottom. We've been throwing those pink water on the driveway when we tried to clean the green bin.

That may have been the cause of this infestation, but I still want to know what kinda worms are they. I'm sure once it snows the whole colony will freeze to death and die. (or at least I hope)

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    You've got Chthonians!

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Do you have a clearer picture? How big are these worms?
    You could try sending it into http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ and see if they can offer any information.

Personally, I agree with Coyote that they look more like some kind of grub then real worms. Mostly because they all look close to the same size, where as earthworms (at least around me) tend to be a wide variety of sizes.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Madpanda wrote:
    You've got Chthonians!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh MadPanda R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

see317 wrote:
    Do you have a clearer picture? How big are these worms?
    You could try sending it into http://www.whatsthatbug.com/ and see if they can offer any information.

Personally, I agree with Coyote that they look more like some kind of grub then real worms. Mostly because they all look close to the same size, where as earthworms (at least around me) tend to be a wide variety of sizes.

Here's another picture. I've been taking these pic from my phone's camera so they aren't as clear. They are about 1 Inch long.

Thanks for your advice thou and I've just send the info to Whatsthatbug. Hopefully they'll get back to me with before they invade the house, seep into the basement, and crawl into my bed and into my mouth when I go to sleep.

I'll get back to you guys in two weeks at the most. Assume the worst if I didn't update this thread then.

th_Worms2.jpg

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    Update:

I ended up not caring so much about trying to understand this uncanny occurrence and decided that I just want to end it once and for all. So I decided to go Bankai on that ^&*^^*( and just pour Bleach on the edges and the cracks on my driveway.

To my horror more of those worms wiggly out of the cracks like zits pooping out from your face. It's almost unfathomable to see pinkish stuff squeezing it's way out of solid asphalt! The unimaginable is happening however as they started to come to the surface and curl onto itself in agony, twisting and screaming without a voice.

That was in the afternoon and I had more errants to run. On my way home I went to the groceries store and bought another bottle of bleach. I just pour more bleach onto the driveway but nothing is coming out. I can only hope that's the end of this infested nightmare.

714353-1.png
  • Options
    SloSlo Registered User regular
    We can only hope you haven't angered the Deep Ones in your callus display of acidic murder.

(Grubs crawling right through asphalt is a delicious image, so thanks for that!)

• Options
    Stravinsky0Stravinsky0 Registered User regular
    I gotta say, I'm no expert, but those look less like worms and more like maggots. If so, then one would expect that some form of decaying organic matter is serving as a food source there. It could be from your bins. Or of course, they could have repaved the driveway to cover up the bodies of the previous tenants...

fc1dd9174a9dd419.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I gotta say, I'm no expert, but those look less like worms and more like maggots. If so, then one would expect that some form of decaying organic matter is serving as a food source there. It could be from your bins. Or of course, they could have repaved the driveway to cover up the bodies of the previous tenants...

Undoubtedly the most likely explanation.

• Options
    spool32 wrote:

Dead body nonsense aside, the first thing I thought of, and given the info posted, is maggots. Something may have burrowed under your driveway and died, or was under there at some point during he pouring of the concrete. But it seems likely that there is some decaying organic matter down there for the little buggers to feast upon, especially given the amount of them you seem to have.

A bit of trash water now and then isn't likely to be enough for a big infestation. You probably have a dead rodent of whatever your local variety is, under there. Is there a notable smell, outside of the bleach, in the area?

• Options
    Enc wrote:
    spool32 wrote:

Dead body nonsense aside, the first thing I thought of, and given the info posted, is maggots. Something may have burrowed under your driveway and died, or was under there at some point during he pouring of the concrete. But it seems likely that there is some decaying organic matter down there for the little buggers to feast upon, especially given the amount of them you seem to have.

A bit of trash water now and then isn't likely to be enough for a big infestation. You probably have a dead rodent of whatever your local variety is, under there. Is there a notable smell, outside of the bleach, in the area?

I haven't noticed any smell. My sense of smell is really bad but I'm sure my family didn't notice any strange smell or they would have spoken up... and this is a new house.

Maybe the new house is build on the site of some mass burial ground/The company that paves the driveway is also a front for an organization that gets rid of unwanted dead bodies.

I should expect a garage haunting soon, I guess?

714353-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Squirrel haunting 2: The chitterlings.

Seriously, though. Just keep an eye on it. If they come back in masse again, or if you get that rotting smell all over your front yard, you may want to look into digging out whatever is down there. Else, it should go decompose in a week or two at most if its some little thing.

Enc on