As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA comic: Friday Dec. 2, 2011 - The Conflux, Part Five

2»

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Tycho wrote:
    There is a Typo (which Gabriel calls a “Tychpo”) in the strip, which Gabriel is refusing to fix because I must “learn.” It is philosophically of a piece with grinding a pet’s nose into the fibers of a fouled carpet. I will see what kind of genuflections are required to make the comic whole.

EyQGd.jpg
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Tycho wrote:
    Tychpo Resolved!

Friday, December 2 2011 - 12:04 PM

He’s working from home today, so I just went over to his computer and commenced with the textual healing. I wasn’t made to debase myself! What an incredible change of pace.

So the actual comic on the site is now fixed. But the copy in the OP still reminds us.

Reminds us of the Tychpo.

SabreMau on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    TO SAAAAAAAAAAND

• TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Saved the original for posterity/blackmail.
    Enlong wrote:
    That face.

With that post.

Perfection.

All I could think of when I saw that face was the 404 page.

ggDpU.jpg

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • jsoftcheckjsoftcheck Registered User regular
    Ah, thank goodness. The comic looks so much better now!
    Still, I'm in agreement with Gabe pedagogy. Penance must be served for the student to learn.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    TO SAAAAAAAAAAND

I don't know if they grade it, but....

coarse.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Tycho wrote:
    Tychpo Resolved!

He’s working from home today, so I just went over to his computer and commenced with the textual healing. I wasn’t made to debase myself! What an incredible change of pace.

I can almost picture Jerry's hand trembling a little on the mouse, his brow furrowed, his jaw set, as he ventured into the mysterious and unforgiving realm of teh photoshops to confront this wrong which had to be made right.

Gaslight on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    This story line isn't doing anything for me.

Probably because of my dislike of D&D.

• TriniteTrinite Registered User new member
    There's a much worse problem in this strip than the typo.

Yes, Tycho is misusing the word "comprise".

A living body is not "comprised of liquid". It is "composed of liquid," or else it "comprises liquid" and a number of other things.

"Comprise" means to include various things together within something. As in "The United States comprises fifty states."

See an explanation here: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/comprise-versus-compose.aspx

I say this not out of hate or any trollishness, but out of my love my admiration for Tycho's his splendid style. He seems like the sort who would appreciate this distinction.

And yes, I confess to creating an account just to make this post.

• MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    Didn't notice the typo until I came to the thread.

IT STAYS.

i saw the newspost, scoured the comic, and still didn't see the typo til it was pointed out in this thread (in the second post, of course)

you PEDANTIC NITPICKY MOTHERFUCKERS

ducklett.gif
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Tycho wrote:
    Tychpo Resolved!

So the actual comic on the site is now fixed. But the copy in the OP still reminds us.

Reminds us of the Tychpo.

well this would explain why i didnt notice

ducklett.gif
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Trinite wrote:

A living body is not "comprised of liquid". It is "composed of liquid," or else it "comprises liquid" and a number of other things.

"Comprise" means to include various things together within something. As in "The United States comprises fifty states."

See an explanation here: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/comprise-versus-compose.aspx

I say this not out of hate or any trollishness, but out of my love my admiration for Tycho's his splendid style. He seems like the sort who would appreciate this distinction.

Neat! I didn't know that.
    Though it looks like comprise is gradually losing it's meaning anyway. Always sad when two similar--yet distinct--words' meanings are smashed together.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    SabreMau wrote:
    AWbw9.jpg

This twitter post with that face is by far the greatest thing. Tycho will be more careful in future I would bet :O

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    This story line isn't doing anything for me.

Probably because of my dislike of D&D.

I find it really immeasurably more enjoyable if you edit the entire forum out of the conversation. I mean, who asked them, amirite?

• ofofliquidofofliquid Times SquareRegistered User new member
    The typo made me join. I instantly imagined a bottled PA soft drink called "of of liquid" which contained nothing but sand.

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    How much of the human body is made of silicon?

• jrrjrr Registered User new member
    Meanwhile, I had to join just to make sure TimeSplitters 2 gets a shout out for having done the exact match type as Kill Confirmed already, by the name of Thief. Though I wouldn't be surprised if other games have done it since then (before even?) too.

Oh how I miss TimeSplitters and its multiplayer excellence.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    jrr wrote:
    Meanwhile, I had to join just to make sure TimeSplitters 2 gets a shout out for having done the exact match type as Kill Confirmed already, by the name of Thief. Though I wouldn't be surprised if other games have done it since then (before even?) too.

Are you sure you're in the right thread?

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    jrr wrote:

Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Tycho talked about Kill Confirmed in the newspost.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • metaphistmetaphist FLRegistered User regular
    ofofliquid wrote:
    The typo made me join. I instantly imagined a bottled PA soft drink called "of of liquid" which contained nothing but sand.

Oh Internet :/

as-siggy-blank-left.jpg
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Trinite wrote:

I noticed it too, but considering my own poor vocabulary and Tycho's masterful mastery of the English language I assumed that perhaps I was misinformed as to the proper use of the word.

Kreutz on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Trinite wrote:

If we were 50 years ago you'd be unambiguously right.* As it stands, Dictionary.com, Merriam-Webster, Google's dictionary, and plenty of others disagree. These days, using comprise like Tycho uses comprise is acceptable to lots of people. So, really, when you say there's a problem in the strip, you're really saying that you have a problem with the strip. Plenty of people don't. The distinction that Grammar Girl makes in your link is one that many people don't make. It's like calling someone out for saying that there are multiple gods by pointing to the Bible and saying "look, just 1 god!" There are multiple valid interpretations.

*Actually it looks like this thing has been going on for about 300 years but whatever. Old people will be more likely to agree with you.

TychoCelchuuu on
    Trinite wrote:

If we were 50 years ago you'd be unambiguously right.* As it stands, Dictionary.com, Merriam-Webster, Google's dictionary, and plenty of others disagree. These days, using comprise like Tycho uses comprise is acceptable to lots of people. So, really, when you say there's a problem in the strip, you're really saying that you have a problem with the strip. Plenty of people don't. The distinction that Grammar Girl makes in your link is one that many people don't make. It's like calling someone out for saying that there are multiple gods by pointing to the Bible and saying "look, just 1 god!" There are multiple valid interpretations.

*Actually it looks like this thing has been going on for about 300 years but whatever. Old people will be more likely to agree with you.

That metaphor isn't really fair. Whats right and wrong in theism is pretty much entirely up to each individual without limit, while arguments about colloquial definitions are much more solid. I mean, they're still soft, but there is more much demonstrable rightness and wrongness. Most people who use the more modern definition are probably ignorant of the distinction rather than having made a choice. It could still be "taken back."

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    There's no "demonstrable rightness" for what a word means other than what people think it means, and lots of people think comprise means what Tycho says it means.

• Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    piL wrote:
    How much of the human body is made of silicon?

.026% Or presumably something like 60% after the spell. Wolfram Alpha is the closest thing in existence to the Enterprise/Bat- computer, woo.

EDIT: Or I guess ~30% after, since sand is mostly silicon dioxide with the Si and O masses being roughly equal. SCIENCE.

Wandering Idiot on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    it almost looks like they are playing Pathfinder

There's no "demonstrable rightness" for what a word means other than what people think it means, and lots of people think comprise means what Tycho says it means.

Naw, if it were that simple 'literally' would now mean 'figuratively' and we would just have one 'there' for all purposes.

• Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    Now I'm picturing peeing sand.

I know, if all my liquids were turned to sand, that would be the least of my worries. BUT STILL.

• MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote:

Naw, if it were that simple 'literally' would now mean 'figuratively' and we would just have one 'there' for all purposes.

This discussion and how much normative declarations one can make about words and meanings is basically the descriptivist/prescriptivist linguistic debate. Also I'd point out that when most people use 'literally' like that, they are using it figuratively. 'He was 'literally' on fire' means that he was so metaphorically on fire, he burst into actual flames. There is no normative problem with this sentence.

All that out of the way, I have always enjoyed the idea of Tycho as a dark vizier or Wormtongue behind the scenes, whispering in Gabe's ear.