As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Priest] (Patch 4.2) Something something complete...

1495051525355»

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    As far as I recall from limited tests, spellpower is recalculated per tick now, so you don't have to recast the DoTs during trinket procs or shadow power or anything else for that matter. I suppose I could be wrong about that, but like I said, limited tests.

Dranyth on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dranyth wrote: »
    As far as I recall from limited tests, spellpower is recalculated per tick now, so you don't have to recast the DoTs during trinket procs or shadow power or anything else for that matter. I suppose I could be wrong about that, but like I said, limited tests.

For SWP this is the case since MF refreshes it nearly constantly during a regular rotation. But I have never seen anything to say VT or DP "auto" refreshes anything while ticking. All coefficients are determind at the point of cast.

For reference: http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=30989

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sooo my issues with Disc healing that I was having a while ago are mostly gone. Switching back to Healbot helped me a bit (I don't know why, but Grid just doesn't work for me), gear was a huge help, as well as learning to never use Heal, because with Inner Focus, Greater Heal is just as efficient. Now I really want to play it in raids!

I'm really struck by how different my healers play. Going back to my Resto Shaman after playing on my Disc Priest for a week, things jump out at you. Resto is lots of small+med heals and Hots, and reactionary in the direct healing it does do. Disc - lots of big heals, very mana intensive until you learn how to juggle your mana return effects, and benefits enormously from anticipation of damage.

My Holy Paladin is just boring by comparison.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I refresh DP and VT when I get my Volcano card and Power Torrent proc and have Empowered shadows. It's even more fun when a bloodlust goes off at the beginning as well.

Aeyther on
    edited May 2011
    Neyla wrote: »
    Dranyth wrote: »

For SWP this is the case since MF refreshes it nearly constantly during a regular rotation. But I have never seen anything to say VT or DP "auto" refreshes anything while ticking. All coefficients are determind at the point of cast.

For reference: http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=30989

Ahhh, the refresh, that must've been what I was seeing. I thought it was more than just SW:Pain but it would've been the one I was glancing at the most really when Empowered Shadows went up.

Dranyth on
    edited July 2011
    Updated for 4.2.

Anything i miss or need to add, PM me.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    Random note, but sweet god, after 25 kills, I finally got the Tear of Blood from the last boss in Heroic Stonecore for my healing set. My healing set is pretty much done now, though I do still need a few pieces for my shadow set, I'll work on it when I can.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dac wrote:
    Sooo my issues with Disc healing that I was having a while ago are mostly gone. Switching back to Healbot helped me a bit (I don't know why, but Grid just doesn't work for me), gear was a huge help, as well as learning to never use Heal, because with Inner Focus, Greater Heal is just as efficient. Now I really want to play it in raids!

I'm really struck by how different my healers play. Going back to my Resto Shaman after playing on my Disc Priest for a week, things jump out at you. Resto is lots of small+med heals and Hots, and reactionary in the direct healing it does do. Disc - lots of big heals, very mana intensive until you learn how to juggle your mana return effects, and benefits enormously from anticipation of damage.

My Holy Paladin is just boring by comparison.

I have two priests and a holy paladin I really like playing holy as it's fun with chakra, and I do enjoy playing as a holy paladin as long as people don't get stupid and sucidial thorw bacon on the idiot and hope they don't do anything really dumb

I really have no idea how shamans work since I know how enhansment works but resto? I really have not played as a resto druid since they put the tree as a cooldown

And the auto save feature is kind of annoying as you write {flicker} saved

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So yesterday my gf hit 85 on her warrior and wondered out loud what Thrall wanted her for in Hyjal. I logged on my Shadow Priest to do that quest chain with her, I hadn't touched the char for some time. So now I remember how much fun a Shadow priest is and will probably play her some more.

This is the char: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/zirkel-des-cenarius/Zerga/simple

I got into a BH10 later and while I wasn't last on damage, I had severe mana problems. Argaloth was ok, I could just pop Dispersion during Fel Firestorm, but Occuthar was a chore. I flat ran out of mana at one time, with every single mana reg ability on CD.

Anything I can do about that, or some general advice RE: my armory? (I know I have to enchant my chest and boots, I just got them yesterday and didn't get a chance to log onto my enchanter yet). DMC:Volcano is still good, right? Maybe I'll grab that off the AH.

Grobian on
  • emma69yoemma69yo Registered User new member
    Whats the best compo for a Disc priest for a 3v3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMmGtYTnIkA

• tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote:
    I got into a BH10 later and while I wasn't last on damage, I had severe mana problems. Argaloth was ok, I could just pop Dispersion during Fel Firestorm, but Occuthar was a chore. I flat ran out of mana at one time, with every single mana reg ability on CD.

Anything I can do about that, or some general advice RE: my armory? (I know I have to enchant my chest and boots, I just got them yesterday and didn't get a chance to log onto my enchanter yet). DMC:Volcano is still good, right? Maybe I'll grab that off the AH.

My main is disc but I have a shadow off-spec. Are you using shadow word: Death every time it's off cooldown? That's a huge source of regen for me and it seems like the only times my mana drops below about 75% are when I'm in my aoe rotation and not using SW:D much. Strategic use of shadow fiend might be called for. Instead of popping it right off for the damage, if you know your mana isn't going to last hold on to it till you can get the full benefit of the mana returned. If mana is _still_ an issue, pop dispersion every time it's off cd and run back and forth while you're waiting for it to finish. Moving will give you a better chance to spawn the shadow clones for a bit of damage so the time's not entirely wasted and dispersion has a fairly short cooldown so you should be able to use it two or three times in a boss fight.

Also, it doesn't look like you have glyph of spirit tap. It won't help much on raid bosses but that's some serious regen in five mans.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    I did pop Dispersion. I didn't think of SW:D, that was probably stupid, I'm gonna fix that. 5mans are not an issue, I think, so I opted out of the Spirit Tap glyph.

Grobian wrote:
    So yesterday my gf hit 85 on her warrior and wondered out loud what Thrall wanted her for in Hyjal. I logged on my Shadow Priest to do that quest chain with her, I hadn't touched the char for some time. So now I remember how much fun a Shadow priest is and will probably play her some more.

This is the char: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/zirkel-des-cenarius/Zerga/simple

The reason why you do fine in 5mans and have a hard time with mana in 10mans is your hit cap is incredibly lowu][/u]. According to you armory, your only at 6% hit. Therefore I am assuming the reason why your having troubles with mana is because your replenishing spells (SWD & Vamperic + MB) are missing. The only way your really gaining mana is thru shadow muppet and dispersion.

To be mana efficient in a raid group, you should be at ~15% hit (17% is cap). Reforge what you can for spirit/hit and change some of those blue gems to pure spirit gems.

Get that Hit rating up and you should also notice a DPS boost and less mana issues VS raid bosses.

13142111181576.png
    Yeah, I'm kinda torn on hit. I really hate to gear for that one raid a week that char will do at most (BH) and therefore gimping me for everything else. If that's the issue, then I'll just live with it.

• AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    I have a question about my DPS, well I've gotten the 2pc shadow T12 since I last did a raid boss but anyway, for my current gear situation is pulling 16-18k alright or should I be hitting 20k?

I'm also at work now so no armory link for now, but it's Aeyther on Cho'gall.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would switch your legs for dps version of tier 11, which has haste. You will drop slightly below the hit cap, but I've had no problems with my dps staying in 16%+ range.

and, I'd reforge the mastery on your volcano deck into haste

haste >>> mastery > crit

Xehalus on
    I played around as Shadow in BGs last night... PvP spec and glyphs, but really no PvP gear yet. I was tearing things up and it seemed kinda fun. I even popped out to throw some clutch heals on a feral druid friend of mine here and there. I may continue messing around with it.

I'm slightly torn only because I wouldn't mind trying Disc in PvP as well (there is still *such* a lack of healers). I mean, I use Holy to heal 5 man heroics and I pretty much never use Shadow at all, what's the point in DPSing when healing is so much faster? So initially I thought about just changing my off to Disc, then I wondered about a Disc able to PvP and then I ran across Shadow PvP and that's what I decided to try.

Did about 5 BGs and on AB did great, on WSG we had no actual healers and thus we were fucked from the get go. The burst potential from just Mind Spiking and Mind Blasting people was pretty insane, especially with SW:Death double taps to help finish people off.

So I don't know, anyone doing priest PvP in battlegrounds and have tried shadow, disc or both?

I only did Disc PvP back in BC/WotLK, so I can't really comment on that. I did Shadow PvP in WotLK and dabbled a bit at the start of Cata. My Shadow Priest still has a PvP dual spec. From being on the receiving end of some Mind Blasts, I can tell you that Shadow is in a pretty good spot right now and do insane damage if they can freecast.

While priest healers are below at least Paladin and Shaman and possibly even druid, I think for random BGs they're good enough. Life Grip is a great tool, especially for WSG/Twin Peaks.

If you go for PvP gear, remember that the Mooncloth 4piece is great for both specs, while the Satin 4piece is only good for nuking. It basically boils down to a decision between survival and burst and that depends on your play style / preferred group size.

edited August 2011
    ugh, triple post, sorry :(

Grobian on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    There's really no reason not to gear for hit, especially since so much of the cloth you'll run across has spirit on it anyway.

You can solve most of your problems by swapping in 2-3 pieces of spirit/hit gear for whatever you're wearing anyway. You don't need to cap out your hit per se, just get up to a healthy double digit percentage.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Grobian wrote:
    I only did Disc PvP back in BC/WotLK, so I can't really comment on that. I did Shadow PvP in WotLK and dabbled a bit at the start of Cata. My Shadow Priest still has a PvP dual spec. From being on the receiving end of some Mind Blasts, I can tell you that Shadow is in a pretty good spot right now and do insane damage if they can freecast.

While priest healers are below at least Paladin and Shaman and possibly even druid, I think for random BGs they're good enough. Life Grip is a great tool, especially for WSG/Twin Peaks.

If you go for PvP gear, remember that the Mooncloth 4piece is great for both specs, while the Satin 4piece is only good for nuking. It basically boils down to a decision between survival and burst and that depends on your play style / preferred group size.

Yeah, I'm still fairly tempted to try Disc at some point, purely for lack of healers on the horde in general it seems. Last night in Twin Peaks, the alliance had a boomkin holding the flag in their flag room with THREE fucking healers with him. Even with 10 stacks of the debuff it was *nearly* impossible to kill him, we eventually did, and you know what I was doing on that final kill? I was running laps around the room spamming Dispel Magic as fast as I could to rip HoTs and bubbles from him (Priest (don't remember the spec), Resto Druid and Resto Shaman were the three healers). There were only a few minutes left in the match after that and we had the only cap, they rushed our flag room a couple times, eventually got it outside and were on the way to their ramp when the match ended, but ugh.

I have been using my DoTs a lot more though, rather than straight nuking. It's a little hard to 'pressure' healers in BGs a lot of the time though. Hell, in EotS I had a holy pally and shadow priest come to Fel Reaver right at the beginning of the match, there were 3 or 4 of us at Fel Reaver and we could not kill either one. It was obnoxious.

Eh, I'll continue to mess around some... though I can't exactly use the gear interchangeably, Disc gears for Mastery and Shadow gears for Haste, but ah well.

edited August 2011
    Bah, double post...

Dranyth on
    edited August 2011
    Disc priest guide been updated (finally). If there is anything i shoudl add or miss let me know :)

Also had to trim the OP majorly. The new forums said i was 5,000 characters over :O So i had trim alot. :(

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • ThisIsOliThisIsOli Registered User new member
    Some of that kinda makes me wish I didn't quit WoW lol >.<

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hello fellow priests, long time no see

How have the Firelands been treating you?

As for the actual content of this post - has anyone been playing around with reforging haste away from the plateau's after the second extra tick of VT, assuming they can reliably get Dark Intent? I picked up my tier hat and the 384 Rag mace last night, and I'm shuffling some gear around (swapped out the 391 random stat hat that had mastery/spirit and 378 tier gloves for 378 tier hat and 384 rag gloves) but I lost a nice chunk of mastery from my previous set up (gained minimal spell power, haste, about 0.7% crit and lost about 1.5% mastery). I'm tempted to reforge some haste so that I'll still be over the plateau but gain some mastery back, but I didn't want to do it unless anybody else has seen empirical success from attempting it.

I suppose I should just try to set up simcraft again =p

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    I'll be the first to admit that I have long given up on simcrafting. I been tired of number crunching all these years. In order to make sure I am still "good" without having to worry about stat balancing I been using http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow. I have remained competitive on the charts thus far without having to over think every stat.

I dunno if it will work for you, but I thought I would throw it out there.

13142111181576.png
    Supposedly if you can always get DI and are already over the haste plateaus, then forever always haste above and beyond fuck reforging in some other stats. But I was just curious if anybody was at that point and had been actually testing that outside siming.

I had heard bad things about AskMrRobot for shadow priests stats, I have been using wowreforge just to find the easiest path to hit cap without losing the most stats.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Question.

I'm looking at my gear wishlist for the new 4.3 dungeons for my priest and i'm curious about something.

The stat weights for holy and for shadow are effectively the same it looks like. I.E. Haste > Mastery > Crit.

That being the case and since shadow gets hit from spirit, is there really any reason to have seperate armor sets? I'm going to be gemming Int, and enchanting effectively the same. I guess the only real conflict would come in if the spirit puts me over the 17% hit cap ReforgeLite is going to try to reforge out of spirit.

Should I bother having two seperate sets? At the 378 gear level am I going to go far enough over the hit cap with spirit that the spirit will be wasted? Is there something I'm missing?

I mean, whatever, if I'm the only clothy I'm going to need whatever drops; I guess I just don't want to spend the money gemming/enchanting two seperate sets for a character that won't raid anyway.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

if you're not going to raid, you don't have to worry about the raid hit cap so just keep that in mind

you probably don't need to worry about managing two sets if you really didn't want to if all you're doing is heroics

• StrikaStrika Registered User regular
    From when I healed, mastery is on par with haste for holy, whereas shadow(which I do now) haste is far and away better than mastery.

This discussion has been closed.