As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

1929394959698»

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    After my stealth character, who was my first (his save file died a tragic death) my Orc 2-handerer and my destromage just seem ridiculously powerful/easymode. Granted I had less idea what I was doing at the time, but still. I screw up a sneak attack and would get wasted. My new dudes mostly just steamroll everything. Even the parts where I die several times still end up being many fewer than on my other dude.

Also I flamespamming makes for hilarious suicides when you forget to check for giant oil rivers in the room you're in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Olorin wrote:
    Has anyone else had the water bug in blackreach? The entire time I was there everywhere I walked, the screen would flash constantly and make noise. It took me a bit before I realized that the flashing was the screen effect associated with going under water and the noise was the audio that plays when you jump into water. Any spells I had readied would reset whenever the flicker happened (as if I was swimming), and I realized both my hands would disappear from the screen in time with the flicker (again as if I was jumping into water). I had to leave, it was almost seizure inducing.

It could be due to my attempt to roll back the patch. I downloaded the previous versions of the three files that were updated and just overwrote the patched files. Now my mouse sensitivity is completely borked. The y-axis sensitivity alternates between being way more and way less sensitive than the x-axis. I even tried getting rid of the xscale and yscale sensitivity settings in the ini file that I have been using since the game came out, but to no avail.

Not sure if you've solved this or not yet.

I had the exact same problem but in different locations. I thought it was to do with the various post processing injectors I'd been tooling around with so I uninstalled them and reloaded. No dice, after a few seconds weird screen effect and 'water surfacing' sound. Next I tried replacing my SkyrimPrefs.ini and Skyrim.ini files with back ups. Loaded the game up and no more bizzaro water choppiness. Re-tweaked my SkyrimPrefs.ini to disable vsync and mouse smoothing, make shadows not look like lego, and have trees and rocks cast shows, saved, booted up and it's still fine. Problem has not occurred again since.

I don't know what caused it. I can only imagine a rogue keystroke altered something in one of the .ini files that caused the weirdness.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Just a question for you guys. Which cities can you buy houses in?

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:

Whiterun, Solitude, Markath, Riften and Windhelm, as far as I know.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/House_%28Skyrim%29
    Whiterun - Breezehome - 5,000 - 6,800 (full upgrade)
    Markarth - Vlindrel Hall - 8,000 - 12,200 (full upgrade)
    Riften - Honeyside - 8,000 - 12,300 (full upgrade)
    Windhelm - Hjerim - 12,000 - 21,000 (full upgrade)
    Solitude - Proudspire Manor - 25,000 - 36,000 (full upgrade)

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Thanks, I need a new place to store my awesome weapons and books.

• Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Thanks, I need a new place to store my awesome weapons and books.

I'm getting a bit antsy because I really want to play Skyrim but I don't want to screw up my save if this patch is causing people problems...

Edit: I'm using Steam. How do I find out what version I have?

RadioElectric on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Open the readme in the Skyrim folder if you don't want to launch the game (in the esc menu on the lower left).

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    So I havn't actually played the game since the brokepatch came out. Anyone know what the word is on when that's getting fixed up? I don't really feel like playing a game with 0 resistances as I'm playing a pure melee type character now and I'd get fucked over a lot.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    They said backwards flying dragons were being fixed next week, so hopefully they fix all the rest of the broke, too.

• Options
    PhurrehPhurreh Registered User regular
    made a backup of my saves before playing again, just in case.
    Works fine for me, but then again I tend not to get hit, so resistances don't matter much.
    Dragons seem to fly the right way, though with fast direction changes at times.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Quick question: I downloaded the 4gb mod. Now Skyrim wont start. How do I undo this?

Nevermind. I downloaded the patch, it works now.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Define 4GB mod. It should have been a seperate exe you run and to 'undo' it you just stop using the 4GB exe...if you aren't using it and Skyrim still doesn't work that's the first I've heard of it.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    I think he's talking about the large address aware patch.

Quick fix: Go into steam and have it check integrity of files, it will redownload the TESV.exe in about two seconds.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote:
    Alteration is cool, and its nice to have points in it so that weapons that paralyze have a lot more charges. But since you can get waterbreathing on enchantments and since you only need a second or two of paralyze on a weapon anyway (extending the charges) and since its a lot easier to just wear armor... Its probably the weakest of the magic schools

My mage character doesn't miss it, but I think combining atronach from alteration and the sign stone atronach would be pretty rad.

Overall though, my mage is an illusionist so alteration spells don't do much for me. I'm not getting hit, and I'd rather force people to kill each other than be paralyzed.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Alteration goes most naturally with a fighter imo. You can buff your defenses without spending too much magicka, get some really strong defensive perks, and paralyze if you need to retreat and heal.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Xagar wrote:
    Alteration goes most naturally with a fighter imo. You can buff your defenses without spending too much magicka, get some really strong defensive perks, and paralyze if you need to retreat and heal.

Yeah, I considered it on my orc sword and shield warrior, but went smithing instead. With smithing you get max armor anyway (+ extra damage) and you don't have to make the magicka investment.

For a spellblade that skips smithing, it would be pretty good though.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    After my stealth character, who was my first (his save file died a tragic death) my Orc 2-handerer and my destromage just seem ridiculously powerful/easymode. Granted I had less idea what I was doing at the time, but still. I screw up a sneak attack and would get wasted. My new dudes mostly just steamroll everything. Even the parts where I die several times still end up being many fewer than on my other dude.
    Also I flamespamming makes for hilarious suicides when you forget to check for giant oil rivers in the room you're in.
    Odd, my Destro mage is having a more difficult time than my stealth archer did. By midgame my archer was one-shotting non-bosses (including minibosses) and the glass set I crafted at level 25 only fell off when I hit 45 (and even then only against Ancient Dragons), at which point I made a new suit, enchanted it and turned into a small deity.
    The later dungeon boss encounters consisted of me crouched in the middle of a well lit room, unseen, stealth-shotting the waves of enemies emerging from coffins.

Glal on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    That is because melee and ranged weapons scale from their weapon skill level (.5% extra damage per point), perks, gear, smithing, potions, and enchantments while magic damage scales exclusively from perks and buying new spells.

I've gotten the impression they really don't much care for mages.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Chaining together alchemy and smithing can break the game so badly. I made an eleven hundred damage daedric dagger and was doing instakills on literally everything (nothing in the game that isn't immortal has anywhere close to 15,000 HP)

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Talith wrote:
    That is because melee and ranged weapons scale from their weapon skill level (.5% extra damage per point), perks, gear, smithing, potions, and enchantments while magic damage scales exclusively from perks and buying new spells.

Yea I gotta agree that mages don't scale well into end game. I'm surprised anyone ever says destruction is good.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    sumwar wrote:
    Talith wrote:

Yea I gotta agree that mages don't scale well into end game. I'm surprised anyone ever says destruction is good.

Destruction DOES get infinite stunlock.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    That's the crutch that's holding it back.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Talith wrote:
    It's not that they don't care, it that's whoever was their systems designer for skills hasn't played an RPG for years.

We've got weight limits, mana users only able to increase their mana pool, perks for the mages don't improve damage by any significant amount, large numbers of potions for specific situations that very few players will use (but will probably want to keep on them for such a situation... weighing themselves down in the process), and a fair few other bits and pieces.

Maybe in TESVI they'll catch up to today's RPG design. :o

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote:
    Maybe in TESVI they'll catch up to today's RPG design. :o

So linear areas and one-button combat?

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I uh...

Don't know about you, but weight limit is certainly better than the other option in a single player RPG, that is, grid inventory.

EDIT: A lot of potions as well? Shit, don't play The Witcher anytime soon.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote:
    I uh...

Don't know about you, but weight limit is certainly better than the other option in a single player RPG, that is, grid inventory.

Grid inventories are <3
    4NgHv.jpg

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    korodullin wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    I uh...

Grid inventories are <3
    4NgHv.jpg

Is that a mod?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Can anyone explain exactly how favorite items & spells work? In Oblivion you held down a number key while you selected a spell or item, but when I try that in this game it just unequips whatever I click on. The manual is no help.

Kreutz on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dashui wrote:
    korodullin wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    I uh...

Grid inventories are <3
    4NgHv.jpg

Is that a mod?

Mockup for DarN's UI. Can't be made until the community comes out with some custom code that allows community stuff to place nice with the third-party flash addon Bethsoft uses for the interface. Good news is that once that code gets hashed out, the community can do pretty much whatever they please with the interface.

Kreutz wrote:
    Can anyone explain exactly how favorite items & spells work? In Oblivion you held down a number key while you selected a spell or item, but when I try that in this game it just unequips whatever I click on. The manual is no help.

Just hover your mouse over a thing and hit a number key.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    korodullin wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    I uh...

Grid inventories are <3
    4NgHv.jpg

Is that a mod?

Mockup for DarN's UI. Can't be made until the community comes out with some custom code that allows community stuff to place nice with the third-party flash addon Bethsoft uses for the interface. Good news is that once that code gets hashed out, the community can do pretty much whatever they please with the interface.

I want it now, although I hope they'd make it work with gamepads, too.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    I meant Diablo style grid.

Where you only have what you fit inside the grid.

Expanding grid based on weight limit=<3 though, I agree.

This discussion has been closed.