As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Motorcyclin' the country side

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Some say that wearing three layers of gloves goes too far.

I say that wearing three layers of gloves does not go far enough!

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:
    Some say that wearing three layers of gloves goes too far.

I say that wearing three layers of gloves does not go too far enough!

/futuramafixed

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    For some reason I find motorcycling when it's really ridiculously cold out to be even more fun.

• musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    Daedalus wrote:
    For some reason I find motorcycling when it's really ridiculously cold out to be even more fun.

there is a certain game to defeating the weather to ride anyway. You're partly miserable and cold but the adrenaline is all like WOOOO THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME

sic2sig.jpg
    It's only freezing until everything goes numb, and then you're fine.

On a serious note, though, it reminds me of skiing, only with even less body heat. You've got your helmet liner, your layers of fleece sweatshirts, and you're going fast, so you have the parts that are insulated nice and warm and the parts you didn't quite insulate properly going cold and numb.

The hard part is the hands. They start getting numb enough, and you have trouble with the clutch/brake.

• musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    The hard part is the hands. They start getting numb enough, and you have trouble with the clutch/brake.

heated grips make me invincible, it seriously added 20 degrees to my potential riding temperatures

sic2sig.jpg
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    How cold is it where you guys are riding? Here I can ride until it gets slightly below 0C but then ice becomes an issue on the road. So then I ride a bicycle all winter.

BlazeFire wrote:
    How cold is it where you guys are riding? Here I can ride until it gets slightly below 0C but then ice becomes an issue on the road. So then I ride a bicycle all winter.

Yeah, I generally stop riding once it gets down to freezing; I could probably get heated gear that would let me stand lower temperatures but snow and ice aren't friends with motorcycles.

Eventually I'll get a Ural and ride all winter. :D

• zilozilo Registered User regular
    You guys are polar bears. If it gets below 50F I'm like LOL NOPE

But I live in LA so it only gets that cold at night during the winter.

• Flying CouchFlying Couch Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    zilo wrote:
    Very nice. I didn't realize it had clear signals, I like it. I think my next bike, whatever it is, is going to have to have ABS. The brakes on my dinosaur aren't exactly top-notch but one front-wheel skid per lifetime is plenty for me.

What happened to that poor smashed-up Chrysler in your garage? ;)
    During our days as teenage idiots my elder brother and I had a damn good time smashing that car. The engine finally gave up a while ago. I don't know that our smashing it had anything to do with that though; everywhere I've read anything about it says that ours lasted about as long as that engine can be expected to.

And it's getting down to 60-40 here and still declining. Still perfectly tolerable.

Flying Couch on
    edited November 2011
    We're dropping below freezing here on the regular- though today it's in the 60's. I was stuck in two hours of below-freezing weather on Friday because of traffic. Which wasn't too bad, as it's not being stopped that makes one cold..

Also, the 6n's engine is partially obscured, which is a bit annoying. On my old bike it was easier to rest my hands on the engine block at stop lights for insta-warmth.

adytum on
    edited December 2011
    adytum wrote:
    California probably has the smartest MC laws in the US.

@Houn, get a pair of these. They go on the 6n without much trouble and they're a lifesaver in winter.

I just got a pair of Acerbis MX Uniko hand guards on recommendation from the guys at the dealership, said they fit on the ER6N. However, question that you may be able to answer...

Where the hell did you find the room to mount anything on the handlebars?

*edit* Nevermind, I'm taking them back, and just ordered these instead:
    http://www.barkbusters.net/products/155.html

Houn on
    edited December 2011
    The Barkbusters are nice but much more pricey. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the extra dosh on them.

FWIW to mount the Powermadd brackets you have to move the attachment point for the handlebars / mirrors by about 1/2 inch. It's pretty easy and all you need is a hex wrench set.

adytum on
    It's just above freezing and pitch black. Time to riiiiiide.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Soo.. this morning my little ninja 250 decided to not start, apparently because of the cold. (I hope.)

Was maybe 34-40 this morning when I went out to go to work. Bike was just like "nuhnuhnuhnuh---fuckyou."

Kind of frustrating, because it was otherwise perfect outside, and it also means that, for the next couple months, I'm screwed. Kind of considering selling it to put towards a bike with FI.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    ...choke?

Houn wrote:
    ...choke?

Choke was totally open. This was definitely different than on a cool day where it takes a shot or two--this was just flat out not going to start.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    The last gen Ninja 250 is a cold-blooded beast. Its only flaw is lack of fuel injection. Really cold weather will prevent it from starting up at all.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, I didn't know there was a Ninja 250. Think I'll look at getting one of those, they look awesome. No cold weather here, really, so the lack of fuel injection isn't a problem. Only getting down to about 10 degrees centigrade here, even at night. Gets up to 25 most days, so hey.

InkSplat wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    ...choke?

Choke was totally open. This was definitely different than on a cool day where it takes a shot or two--this was just flat out not going to start.

Did you try gunning the throttle too? I used to have to do that in particularly cold weather.

adytum wrote:
    InkSplat wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    ...choke?

Did you try gunning the throttle too? I used to have to do that in particularly cold weather.

I tried it once, but that was after a few tries, and it then proceeded to do a "click click click" thing (I know, super technical) where it didn't sound like it was even attempting to start. But I'll give it a try from the start today.

edited December 2011
    Do you garage your bike? I believe you can ghetto rig a block heater with some incandescent shop lights.

adytum on
    So, yeah, doing anything to the throttle didn't seem to do anything. Didn't even change the sound the bike was making or anything.

And no, don't garage my bike, unfortunately. I live in a condo, so its out in the parking lot, which is pretty much the issue.

Going to try again tomorrow in the middle of the afternoon after its had a bit of time in the sun. Crossing my fingers, because otherwise this is going to be a shitty winter.

Also, am I correct that at the point that the starter is just "click-click-clicking" that the issue is that the engine is flooded so its not even trying to light and turn over?

Have you charged your battery between all these attempts to start it? It might be too drained.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Oh wow, I didn't know there was a Ninja 250.

I find this hard to believe. It's only the most popular Kawasaki motorcycle and one of the most popular sport bikes ever.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited December 2011
    "click-click-click" is your starter solenoid activating, if your starter motor was firing (the thing that actually turns the motor) it'd make a "trying to start chugga chugga chugga" sound. Sounds like a dead battery.

Batteries are quite sensitive to temperature, motorcycle batteries especially. Toss it on a trickle charger overnight if you have one, or just get a new one. Decent bike batteries aren't all that pricey.

edit: also, the way to start a carbed bike in the cold is to give it full choke, 1/8 throttle, thumb the starter, hold the throttle open a bit, turn off the choke. Some people swear by their particular bike's secret handshake but this method works brilliantly almost all of the time.

zilo on
    edited December 2011
    InkSplat, WalMart has brilliant bike batteries. I refuse to shop there normally, but they have these fantastic easy-mode kits that have pre-mixed electrolyte and a spill-free one-step applicator. And they're quite cheap. Much better than what you can get (or could, last time I bought a battery elsewhere) from other places.

And yeah, what Zilo said. Chugga chugga chugga.

adytum on
    The problem is it does "Chugga chugga chugga" and only after a few attempts and lack of starts does it eventually "click click click".

Actually, maybe "chugga chugga chugga" isn't the right way to describe it. It isn't like when I'd normally go to start the bike and have it die, which I've had before--where it sounds like the engine is firing, but then sputters out. It never gets to that rumbly, chilly engine sound. It just gives the "struggling to turn over" sound for a bit, then starts clicking.

If that's the case, then its pretty much definitely a weak battery?

And like I said, when I held the throttle earlier, the bike made the exact same sound as when I didn't open it up--not a bit of difference. Which with the battery mention above, seems to make sense, because the starter is just too weak to fully fire, so doesn't matter how much gas I'm giving it.

Guess I've gotta run to Walmart tomorrow.

Do you have a battery charger? You need to charge a bike battery before you use it. Pick up a Battery Tender Jr. if you can, they're great to have around.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Oh wow, I didn't know there was a Ninja 250.

I find this hard to believe. It's only the most popular Kawasaki motorcycle and one of the most popular sport bikes ever.

Never sold in the UK or some Euro markets until a couple of years ago, though. In the UK there are some variously named odd grey imports floating around, but that's it. The way the licensing scheme is set up there hasn't been much of a market for anything that fit into what's called class A2 (basically bigger than a 125 but sub 33bhp) because most people who are restricted to that (anyone that passes their full bike test at under 25 is restricted for two years) would buy a restricted bigger bike instead.

Now that fuel economy is becoming more of a priority we're starting to see some 250s that aren't Chinese.

adytum wrote:
    Do you have a battery charger? You need to charge a bike battery before you use it. Pick up a Battery Tender Jr. if you can, they're great to have around.

+1 for the Battery Tender Jr. It is the greatest.

And yeah, InkSplat, that's definitely a weak battery. If you have a multimeter you can test it to be absolutely sure but I can't imagine what else it could be.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Okay winter riders... what do you use to keep your neck warm? I've got a neck gaiter, but there's always a spot right below my adam's apple that gets full wind, and I can't find a comfortable solution.
    Also, how do you keep your face from fogging over? I'm in Portland, and I'm okay in cold, but once the rain starts, I have to lift my visor to see half the time.

My gear is:

Zip-up sweater with a high neck, like so:

giftsWAP75900S16-lg.jpg

Then a full-face balaclava like Houn posted

Tuck the balaclava into the sweater, zip the sweater up to the top, then wrap a scarf around both to seal it up.

edited December 2011
    I wear the following when riding late into the fall on my motorcycle and through the winter on my bicycle. It sits pretty low so I tuck it into my coat and zip the coat up. I also bunch it up into the helmet to keep the wind out. Keeps me nice and warm.

I tried a balaclava but I couldn't find one that was thin enough to not be a bother but thick enough to cut the wind around my neck.

(Just a link, sorry. The picture is way huge.)
    http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-windstopper-neck-gaiter

BlazeFire on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh god. I was having some trouble getting my Ninja 250 to start last night, the battery was pretty close to dead from sitting for a while, and I accidentally dropped the bike on its side because I thought I had pushed out the kickstand when I didn't. I left it at my friend's place last night and got a ride home, figuring I had flooded the carbs and it was just taking a while to try to jump it.

Tonight I went over to pick it up, and somehow the bike started up on the first press of the starter, even though the night before the battery was dead. I ran it for about a minute at about 6k RPM to try to warm it up a bit, when it died. I looked at the ground and there was oil everywhere. Tracing the leak, it was coming out of the airbox.

I'm going to take the bike apart tomorrow but what the fuck. Every last drop of oil in that bike leaked out of the airbox.

Lemming on
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Man that sucks, hope nothing expensive is broken.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    crossposted from my hangout in the starcraft 2 thread in G+T
    Dhalphir wrote:
    i think im going to learn to ride motorbikes

does anyone have any advice regarding how many lessons to get?

i want to buy a kawasaki ninja as my first bike because it gets great recommendations and a co-worker learned to ride recently and bought one

edited February 2012
    Step One: Find a Motorcycle Safety Foundation approved New Rider Course in your area. Many of these are even subsidized by your local and state governments, and run between $100 - $200 US Dollars for a two-day course. They typically provide a bike and helmet, but you'll need to wear a long-sleeve protective jacket, gloves, and boots that go over the ankle.
    http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

Step Two: Determine what kind of a bike you're interested in; street, crossover, cruiser, etc. Depending on your preferences and needs, someone in this thread will have a recommendation on some good starter models and engine sizes for your needs.

*edit* And you just mentioned in the SC thread you're in Australia. I'm sure they have something similar.

Houn on