As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

1939495969799»

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hamurabi wrote:
    TheStig wrote:
    Hamurabi wrote:
    While we're on the CrossFit-bashing tangent...

There's this guy who comes into our gym and does those crazy-ass exaggerated kipped pullups. It looks like he basically uses just the momentum from his lower body to bounce himself up with each rep; I have to imagine he couldn't do more than 3-4 strict pullups. I'm not deriding him -- if that's his thing, that's his thing, and as precedent has shown, I'm certainly not in a position to judge other dude's workout habits.

But at some point that dude's gotta look at his lats after months of doing these things and wonder what's going on.

kipping pullups work the lats too they're just easier

Maybe this guy was doing them really wrong, or something, but from what I saw, his lower-body momentum got him like 75% of the way up on a rep. Sure, his lats were doing some work, but it's my understanding that the idea behind pullups is to build up strength in the lats and upper body overall -- doing most of the work with your lower body would seem counterintuitive, then.

Cheating motions have their place in development. They let you do a higher amount of negative work than you would normally do, and if you push beyond where you would with normal form you can get in just as much work. You just have to do it purposefully and with full knowledge of how you have to adapt your routine.

• Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I like how that guy can deadlift like 3 of me like nothing.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Holy fucking fuck. I just came back to this thread and saw that crossfit video. WHY IS THAT A THING!?!?

I squatted for the first time in a long time the other day. Very frustrating, I had left off with a PR of 220X9, first day back and I managed 135X9 and 155X6 before I was feeling pretty fried. I'm guessing the number will jump up pretty quickly when I get used to squatting again though. I've been having HUGE problems balancing lifting with MMA, plus I've been sidelined with injuries a good bit.

But I'm back moving heavy things.
    Also, a buddy of mine I started coaching about 6 months ago pulled 310X2 on deadlifts. When he started with me he had trouble doing bodyweight squats and couldn't do one push up. I'm very very proud.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote:
    Hamurabi wrote:
    TheStig wrote:
    Hamurabi wrote:
    While we're on the CrossFit-bashing tangent...

There's this guy who comes into our gym and does those crazy-ass exaggerated kipped pullups. It looks like he basically uses just the momentum from his lower body to bounce himself up with each rep; I have to imagine he couldn't do more than 3-4 strict pullups. I'm not deriding him -- if that's his thing, that's his thing, and as precedent has shown, I'm certainly not in a position to judge other dude's workout habits.

But at some point that dude's gotta look at his lats after months of doing these things and wonder what's going on.

kipping pullups work the lats too they're just easier

Maybe this guy was doing them really wrong, or something, but from what I saw, his lower-body momentum got him like 75% of the way up on a rep. Sure, his lats were doing some work, but it's my understanding that the idea behind pullups is to build up strength in the lats and upper body overall -- doing most of the work with your lower body would seem counterintuitive, then.

Cheating motions have their place in development. They let you do a higher amount of negative work than you would normally do, and if you push beyond where you would with normal form you can get in just as much work. You just have to do it purposefully and with full knowledge of how you have to adapt your routine.

too slow and too technical an explanation duck

i got this shit

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Slider wrote:
    Where is his chest?

You were this close to going a week without saying anything totally fucking cretinous

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Oh, I know this. We did human body in last semester's science unit.

3ldBD.jpg

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Crap. I'm gonna lose points, 'cause I forgot to label 'ear' huh?

I hope we get bonus points for the chest.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's been a while since I reported something for awesome.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Oh, I know this. We did human body in last semester's science unit.

3ldBD.jpg

riker.gif

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I think he was looking for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78mrsdb0w1k

**They're called tits. Not chest. Tits.**

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    I finished taking the LSAT yesterday. I then learned how to do a thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFnkP82D4Io

edited December 2011
    I got all pumped after benching 180x5 that felt pretty light so I thought I'd take a run at that 225 single. Yeah, turns out you can strain the shit out of your back doing too heavy bench. I don't think it'll last but hoo boy was I clenched up for a minute there.

Oh and no I didn't get it but I had a spotter so I didn't die. I think I spit on him though, I felt a little bad but he didn't notice so it was cool.

Peen on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Haha.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    I got all pumped after benching 180x5 that felt pretty light so I thought I'd take a run at that 225 single. Yeah, turns out you can strain the shit out of your back doing too heavy bench. I don't think it'll last but hoo boy was I clenched up for a minute there.

Oh and no I didn't get it but I had a spotter so I didn't die. I think I spit on him though, I felt a little bad but he didn't notice so it was cool.

The spotter lifter relationship is two way peen. For every time you accidentally spit on a guy, there will be a time when you're forced to rep while staring at your spotter's scrotum. The inevitable balance between these two events is one of the beautiful mysteries of our universe.

One of the guys I played football with a year younger than I, is coming up to school here. He is into powerlifting and such. He's gonna introduce me to this shit. Damn you all.

Do it DL. Get mad strong and start competing.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    CARBS!

I was missing simple, stupid carbs. A couple days eating some sammiches on grainy-ass whole wheat, and I feel like a million dollars. Ridiculous.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    I'm going to eat some oatmeal tomorrow morning to express my solidarity, brother.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I stopped buying bread because it's too easy to make unhealthy snacks with it :(

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    My lunch of choice lately has been a can of bean salad with a can of tuna. 56g protein, high in fibre, simple, quick and hells of cheap.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    im eating a sweet potato and half a lb of roast beef

its a good combo

poo
    Peen wrote:

The spotter lifter relationship is two way peen. For every time you accidentally spit on a guy, there will be a time when you're forced to rep while staring at your spotter's scrotum. The inevitable balance between these two events is one of the beautiful mysteries of our universe.

So do people teabag you while you're trying to bench or what? How on earth are you seeing sack whilst benching?

Do it DL. Get mad strong and start competing.

that's the plan, possibly get into it in february

Peen wrote:
    Peen wrote:

So do people teabag you while you're trying to bench or what? How on earth are you seeing sack whilst benching?

As a user of strangers for spotters, I am surprised you haven't encountered this yet. It's the spotter wearing shorts and no underwear who gets close to the bar to follow it down with you. The line of sight often aligns so uncannily well that you could almost believe that the bench press was designed as an exercise to perv on other guys' berries.

I hope you don't experience this, I really do. But I'm just saying - it happens.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    This is why I bench with my eyes shut tight. This way if someone has to spot me I don't accidentally see their balls.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Squat day at the new gym, so stoked.

"Be excellent to each other."
    im glad that my cripple leg doesnt stop me from deadlifting at least

i did 275 x 4 today, which is good, i still weigh 150 (though my gut has gotten larger lately with my bad eating habits)

poo
    oh hey 3rd edition starting strength came in the mail

i couldnt find my old one

poo
  • big lbig l Registered User regular

i did 275 x 4 today, which is good, i still weigh 150 (though my gut has gotten larger lately with my bad eating habits)

Speaking of cripple legs - y'all remember the one-legged deadlifting girl? Yeah, she squats too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp-gZY0U2sI

If she can do it, you can.

Peen wrote:
    Peen wrote:

As a user of strangers for spotters, I am surprised you haven't encountered this yet. It's the spotter wearing shorts and no underwear who gets close to the bar to follow it down with you. The line of sight often aligns so uncannily well that you could almost believe that the bench press was designed as an exercise to perv on other guys' berries.

I hope you don't experience this, I really do. But I'm just saying - it happens.

I almost never have a spotter, I just don't lift outside my means. Last night was a special occasion because I knew there was a high probability that I'd get stuck and die. I also said to him to back the fuck off and don't touch anything unless I asked him to (nicer than that but that was the message). I think a key there is pick a dude who's way smaller than you. He was so giddy about being asked to spot someone and laughing with his friends about it that he was hardly paying attention.

big l wrote:

Speaking of cripple legs - y'all remember the one-legged deadlifting girl? Yeah, she squats too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp-gZY0U2sI

If she can do it, you can.

but she's clearly a better human being than me and not a big whiner

though right now, no, i can't squat, and it makes me sad

poo
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    Office secret santa got me a bodytape...I don't like what that says about what my coworkers think of me.

But, I did crush everyone else's bicep size. I think that earns me an early dismissal.

So I can go the gym.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    In my opinion, being spotted while doing squats is much worse than bench press.

• CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    For a while there it was seeming like it would be moronic mondays pt. 2 but then he started responding and it's actually worth reading.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Took an epic poop before squatting today (thanks fibre supplement!), and then annihilated 5x5x255lbs.

Well, it was mutual annihilation because I'd never squatted that hard and after I felt like puking and didn't want to finish my workout, but I persevered. Good times.

"Be excellent to each other."
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    The lonely possibly-retarded guy was at the gym today.

Thankfully he was already talking to someone else, so he didn't latch on to me until my last lift of the day.

But today he was talking about what he should do about this girl. He seriously talked to the other guy for 40 minutes about this shit. After he talked to her at a bus stop, where she recognized him from when they were in high school, 5 boys and 5 girls came from another bus and told him that she was a freak and kind of a ho and has the clap, and he told me that she got kicked out of high school for having sex on school grounds and bringing drugs to school. She never graduated or got a GED. Also, the last time he talked to her was May/April 2010. Never called her after that. But apparently he ran into her somewhere and "made history with her" on 3 separate occasions. I think that meant they banged, but god only knows what this kid says. I think he's on parole, but he said he couldn't mess with her because he was on "PL." I asked what PL meant, and he was incredulous that I didn't know, and said it was an abbreviation, but then never told me what it meant.

Then he told me that "whenever something happens to her on the street (rape, assault, who the fuck knows?), she tells the cops that he did it.

I don't even what the fuck

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    dropped the bar when reracking after squats and somehow split my pinky open in the process

owwwwww

pro tip: visually confirm bar is racked before letting go

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    maybe PL means parole

JKKaAGp.png
This discussion has been closed.