As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Penny Arcade: The Series s.3 ep.3 - Enforcers

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited December 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
patv_hero_patsseason3episode3.png

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    great video once again but I wish they had used real names for the enforcers, or maybe both, and also that dude who quits his job every year to be an enforcer? I don't know if PA should really be encouraging that kind of thing :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    I wanna be an enforcer.

Half of my real life job is basically being an enforcer for conventions (sadly not PAX though)

EyQGd.jpg
  • GalacticGalactic Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping the guy that quits his job every year to be an enforcer is a college student, and the jobs he's quitting are fast food places to put him through college....

Other than that, great video. Much love to the enforcers.

^_-;

Too Galactic for you.
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    That video had some of my favorite enforcers in it! Arco was there in the ping pong scene and S7arbuck and Liger were featured with a speaking role!

Wooo! Go enforcers!

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Galactic wrote:
    I'm really hoping the guy that quits his job every year to be an enforcer is a college student, and the jobs he's quitting are fast food places to put him through college....
    nailed it.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    A lot of you guys have seen the Enforcers from a showgoer perspective, but they are incredible resource for those of us working long hours in the Expo Hall. I'm quite sad not to see Spyder mentioned at all. He's a miracle worker who is happy to help on Friday 2am before show start.

sig3.png
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Love the old-timey salesman with the hat.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • deathsquirreldeathsquirrel Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:
    great video once again but I wish they had used real names for the enforcers

As far as the enforcer community is concerned, those are our real names, even outside of PAX, I know most of my enforcer friends only by their handle.

• RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    To be fair, a job that wont let the guy take a week-long vacation once a year is probably a pretty terrible job, anyway.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Rather love Mike's PA version of Mike and Jerry. :D

The name Enforcer always made me think of these guys as the bouncers of PAX.

The reality is so much greater. These seem like rad guys. <3

Oh brilliant
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:

As far as the enforcer community is concerned, those are our real names, even outside of PAX, I know most of my enforcer friends only by their handle.

Firstly: The notion of a "real name" being defined as one's Christian/Given Name is ridiculous. The choice of one's handle is far more significant.

Secondly:
    Galactic wrote:

The division of labour is most effective when there is a large, diverse market for one's output. If one can freely leave their job to pursue something else, (e.g. leaving Washington Mutual to work at PAX) then it is a good indicator that your society is not practicing some form of indentured service.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    it got weird in here real quick

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    To bring it back to normal and emphasize a quote from Kristin Lindsay ("PRD", volunteer coordinator) in the video for Enforcer hopefuls out there: she talked about the community outside of PAX, and how most of us know each other. It's 100% true. We have over 1,000 Enforcers in total now, but I was able to recognize about 90% of the Enforcers in that video and name over half of them. If you're looking for a great group to get involved in and do some kickass work, you really can't go wrong with us!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'd love to do something like being an Enforcer, but I live at the furthest point in the country from both official PAXs, and I'm not sure if I could bring that much energy and passion to the table. That being said, one of my fondest memories was running games for Shadowrun at Gencon about 8 years ago, and I'd love to capture that on a grander scale.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:

Not sure that's the kind of thing you should ever admit to. At least not if you want to keep your self respect.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's considerably better to be outed as a nerd than as an arsehole, so maybe you should consider keeping comments like that to yourself.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Tleilaxu wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:

Firstly: The notion of a "real name" being defined as one's Christian/Given Name is ridiculous. The choice of one's handle is far more significant.
    my eyes just rolled out of my head. I had to actually get somebody else to write and then post this since I can no longer see

Sure Gabe and Tychos are handles that Mike and Jerry use, for an example, but we still know they are named Mike and Jerry!

edit - another example, you think the term "hardtarget" says anything about me as a person? Newsflash, it doesn't. It was a handle I picked at a lasertag place when I was 7, more than 20 years ago!, because we were given the option to not use real names and it was 'cool'. I wanted to be a Hard Target so i put them together.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeeeah, my handle is a parody of DeviantArt account names. It's about as personal and connected to me as my choice of socks.

...having said that, it has grown on me. I like snagging DarkRavenX, DRX or some variant whenever I sign up to a thing now.

Oh brilliant
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I chose my handle in highschool. Now I'm stuck with it.

go go formulaic epic fantasy novels

Hardtarget wrote:
    Tleilaxu wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:

my eyes just rolled out of my head. I had to actually get somebody else to write and then post this since I can no longer see

Sure Gabe and Tychos are handles that Mike and Jerry use, for an example, but we still know they are named Mike and Jerry!

edit - another example, you think the term "hardtarget" says anything about me as a person? Newsflash, it doesn't. It was a handle I picked at a lasertag place when I was 7, more than 20 years ago!, because we were given the option to not use real names and it was 'cool'. I wanted to be a Hard Target so i put them together.
    For me, being referred to by my handle in this and the Enforcer circle helps me differentiate the multiple "lives" i lead. People from my academic or professional life will call me Matt, and I will respond properly to them. Anyone who calls me dya or dyaballikl, I know to be someone from this or a related group. I think it helps me maintain almost two sets of personalities so that my geek culture doesn't bleed through into areas where it shouldn't.

There is also the aforementioned point that this is the name I chose, so I have a closer emotional connection to it.

a.k.a. dya
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I went by "Commie" with Most of my highschool friends, for most of my highschool life. People that I knew outside of gaming called me AJ, and the wrestling team called me by my last name, and employers/Teachers in college usually call me Andrew... Oddly enough I like Commie more than AJ... Though I go by Rhodon or Lanthaneia now...

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    This episode didn't really capture how strong the enforcer community is.
    And I don't think any other enforcer knows my real name.

• colekicoleki Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    One thing that is helpful about referring to each other by our handles is that it eliminates all the confusion over which of the 100 Michaels you are talking about, and etc.

Also, the name one chooses definitely says something about one's character. What that is, I have no idea... :P

coleki on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    coleki wrote:
    One thing that is helpful about referring to each other by our handles is that it eliminates all the confusion over which of the 100 Michaels you are talking about,

I'm doing this wrong, aren't I?

MichaelLC on
  • colekicoleki Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote:
    Wait, who are you?!? ;)

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    coleki wrote:
    MichaelLC wrote:
    Wait, who are you?!? ;)

Michael, have we met? How would you know?!

It's cool that they gave an episode to the Enforcers, looks like they do a lot of work and are really excited to be part of it.