As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FF] The Heroes formerly known as the Fantastic Four

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Fantastic Four 600 was everything I wanted it to be. Really glad to see the turn it took. Despite what was said to the contrary for months now.

It was a ton of pages for that price, too. At Marvel's current page rate it was like getting almost 5 books for less than half the price.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Bobillo's art is simultaneously terrible and good (the scene with Valeria and Nathaniel especially.) It still disappoints me that he'll be drawing FF going forward.

That said, an issue focusing on just the kids was great.

huntresssig.jpg
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    Bobillo's art is simultaneously terrible and good (the scene with Valeria and Nathaniel especially.) It still disappoints me that he'll be drawing FF going forward.

That said, an issue focusing on just the kids was great.

It's weird because when his art is on, it's perfect. Just gets a bit weird at times and I have a little trouble telling who is who. But it's overall good enough of a book to not be a huge concern.

Definitely love the kids.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Is there a connection between FF and Thunderbolts? Since Valeria's mysterious timeline has 1888 in it, and the Thunderbolts are currently in 1888...

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    I doubt it, considering the 1888 stuff going down in Thunderbolts is particularly thunderbolt-y in its own way.

I have to ask, though: Valeria's mysterious timeline?

huntresssig.jpg
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    ff12d+future+man.jpg

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Oh look, Leonardo Da Vinci

I love you Jonathan Hickman

oh fuck

guess I should have been reading SHIELD all along

fffffuck Hickman

huntresssig.jpg
    edited December 2011
    Arivia

Even if it was not referenced at all in Hickman's FF and F4

Read SHIELD it's fucking amazing

Also read Secret Warriors as well because that ties into SHIELD too (and is awesome). They are all related in a way which isn't entirely necessary to know what is going on but makes you go "holy shit" every now and then.

You can get the first volume of SHIELD on Amazon right now, it's only one book and it rules. Every Marvel fan should buy it.

Solar on
    I just

random historical figures and steampunk doesn't really interest me

huntresssig.jpg
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    SHIELD is so much more than that, though. The novelty of the historical figures and crazy Marvel-tech is there, but there's so much more going on. It is well worth a read by anyone that likes Hickman's stuff.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    Arivia wrote:
    I just

random historical figures and steampunk doesn't really interest me

Arivia, I loathe Steampunk. I truly do. And I am a history student who hates random use of historical characters.

Trust me, read SHIELD.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bobillo really needs to work on drawing kids as kids, not just little people. I love his art, and thought his Doom design was really nice making the armor look like armor, but some of his designs just don't work sometimes.

Yeah Valyria's eyes look really weird in that scan. And not just once, in every panel.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I've read the first 6 issues of SHIELD. That appearance really makes me want to read all the FF stuff now.

steam_sig-400.png
    Oh man, read it all

It's so good

I am so entirely sure that Hickman is going to bright it all together in some sort of majestic finale which is a true example of the wonder and scope of superhero comics and I am going to wet myself when I read it.

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Oh man, read it all

It's so good

I am so entirely sure that Hickman is going to bright it all together in some sort of majestic finale which is a true example of the wonder and scope of superhero comics and I am going to wet myself when I read it.

Yo, exactly. Hickman has an immense talent for just building and building and building this stuff. I think people from time to time feel like it's giving them blue balls (I've read a lot of criticism about FF that essentially boils down to "when is something going to happen?!" which is just, you know, completely stupid), but I love every minute of it and know that there's gotta be a tremendous payoff waiting.

pygsig.png
    Zeromus wrote:
    Oh man, read it all

It's so good

Yo, exactly. Hickman has an immense talent for just building and building and building this stuff. I think people from time to time feel like it's giving them blue balls (I've read a lot of criticism about FF that essentially boils down to "when is something going to happen?!" which is just, you know, completely stupid), but I love every minute of it and know that there's gotta be a tremendous payoff waiting.

The thing is, there's been a huge amount of set-up so far but not much pay-off. Usually that would irritate me, but Hickman is weaving it all together really well to make the council of Reed's, the Five Cities, the Supreme Intelligence, Franklin Richard's powers and more all come to a head at the same time, so it gets a real Doomsday feel where everything is coming together in one, big, wonderful adventure.

There are a few things that I'd like Hickman to look at, the Eternals and Deviants for one, since I always liked them and I think Hickman could do a lot with them, but apart from that he's really taking all the different aspects of the Fantastic Four's gallery of rogues and allies and so on and bringing them all together, and it works.

Marvel's best current writer, in my opinion.

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    Zeromus wrote:
    Oh man, read it all

It's so good

The thing is, there's been a huge amount of set-up so far but not much pay-off. Usually that would irritate me, but Hickman is weaving it all together really well to make the council of Reed's, the Five Cities, the Supreme Intelligence, Franklin Richard's powers and more all come to a head at the same time, so it gets a real Doomsday feel where everything is coming together in one, big, wonderful adventure.

There are a few things that I'd like Hickman to look at, the Eternals and Deviants for one, since I always liked them and I think Hickman could do a lot with them, but apart from that he's really taking all the different aspects of the Fantastic Four's gallery of rogues and allies and so on and bringing them all together, and it works.

Marvel's best current writer, in my opinion.

Agreed. The setup in itself is exciting, really.

pygsig.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    prv10808_pg6.jpg
    yes yes yes yes yes this is what I want

CYpGAPn.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Here, Hold my Annhihilus"
    :)

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Good God that page is great.

The last two panels killed me.

I want an Annhihilus.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I want an Annihilus now too, but mostly to tell people to hold it for sec. Hell, Hold My Annihilus should be the name of the next awesome moments thread heh.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    hickman

hiiiickmaaaaaan

huntresssig.jpg
    I wish that I could have Jonathan Hickman's children

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    When did Johnny Storm turn into Steve Rogers?

That's pretty much what I'm saying, Weaver.

Epting's Steve and Epting's Johnny are pretty much identical.

CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I've seen nothing about the FF Season One release like I did the Superman Earth One hardcover, both in terms of comic related news or outside press. Did anyone check it out?

TexiKen on
    TexiKen wrote:
    I've seen nothing about the FF Season One release like I did the Superman Earth One hardcover, both in terms of comic related news or outside press. Did anyone check it out?

Was actually pretty good for a simple origin rewrite, had some neat changes.
    Space Tourism!

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Dammit I might have to start getting Fantastic Four on comiXology. I want to read the first two volumes of FF first though.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    F4 606 cover

tdNpW.jpg

@Solar

CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2012
    Oh fuck yes

Solar on
    Also I wonder, does this mean that T'Challa will be back on the throne of Wakanda?

After all, his book has been cancelled so it's not like they need to keep him on the streets of New York any more, though that was a really cool comic, shame it was cancelled.

Also I hope Hickman incorporated what happened to Wakanda in Doomwar into his own story, since some pretty big changes happened, like all the Vibranium going *poof!* I am sure he will, Hickman tends to be pretty inclusive like that, after all he kept cool things like Ronan and Crystal being married, both referencing it and reinforcing it in his own work, which is good of him.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Argh I can't find a print copy of Fantastic Four 600 anywhere. I could just get it on comiXology but it's nearly 100 pages and I still don't like reading comics that long online. I've read all 4 of Hickman's previous Fantastic Four arcs but would it be wise to read his first two FF collections before I start with issue 600? And is FF worth sticking with after issue 11?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Well F4 600 is well worth it, because it kind of sets it all up

And yes, it would be wise to read both the FF collections, because 600 is kind of the "everything happens!" issue

I certainly think that FF is worth sticking with beyond #11, though I'm admittedly a huge fan of everything Hickman has done with the Fantastic Four and assorted hangers on.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Really FF and Fantastic Four after 600 are like getting half of a double sized book each month.

Once this arc ends, though, it might be easier to jump off one or the other.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37324

This has been posted elsewhere, but 611 and FF23 are it for Hickman.

I hope we get a really nice omnibus out of this, although given that there's somewhere between 60 and 70 issues worth of content (counting all of FF, F4, and all the oversized issues), there might have to be two volumes.

HadjiQuest wrote:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37324

This has been posted elsewhere, but 611 and FF23 are it for Hickman.

I hope we get a really nice omnibus out of this, although given that there's somewhere between 60 and 70 issues worth of content (counting all of FF, F4, and all the oversized issues), there might have to be two volumes.
    That is more like 3-4 volumes duder.

I mean the Immortal Iron Fist omnibus is pretty huge and it is only 20 or so issues.

CYpGAPn.png
    Ok, first off, that latest issue was Fan-balls-out-tastic. This thread deserves some loving for this epic finally coming to a close.

Now the question. Since I've been gushing to everyone with ears about this, especially to my main borrowing my comics buddy, what Trades of this ( going back to I think, Solve Everything , is when this all began?) exist, and when will the ones that don't exist come out,( Including Future Foundation)

I'm thinking of just buying him the whole run as a gift, or as much as I can, then complete it for him when I can.

There's also still an epilogue coming in Future Foundation right?