As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyward Sword (feedback welcome)

kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Artist's Corner
At the risk of getting laughed out of here ...
Skyward_Sword_Text.jpg
Photoshop CS4, Wacom Graphire4 6x9
~8 hours?

kingworks on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I like the concept you came up with, the contrasting text. It looks like things are fairly well rendered, but the pose of the arm looks extremely uncomfortable. Also, I think your preview image is a bit too large. 1500px is too tall in my opinion.

Welcome to the forums!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    Thank you.

I erred on the side of making the text legible ... maybe it'd still be readable at 75%?

Do you think it'd be possible to reposition the arm slightly to make the pose feel less artificial? I can't do much with the sword, since the whole layout is based around it being vertically centered.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I think the sword is fine, but the arm just doesn't look natural. Try holding your arm like that, it hurts.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    The sword, background, font, are all fantastic. I love it.

The arm is off. Maybe try flipping it so the fingers are curled toward the viewer?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    It's the elbow bending the wrong way. You need to reverse the hand (so the fingers are coming together on the visible side) and it'll look fine.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had originally planned on having a glowing triforce super-imposed over the back of the hand (bottom-left would be glowing, the other two would be 'dark') - which is why you see the back. Personally, I was a fan of Twilight Princess' armored bracer, but oh well ...

I do agree that having the fingers towards the viewer would be more interesting (sans-triforce). I'd just have to make sure the sword was still being held in his left hand.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the feedback!

kingworks on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Light source wise it's pretty inconsistent. Also other things that popped into my head were, not many of the materials present resemble the real life textures, cloth/metal.

The text starts and ends kind of abruptly. Maybe integrate it into the clouds as it moves further down the image? And the clouds seem kinda oddly placed around the main image. Awkward areas just to the left of the base of the blade where the Triforce is, stick out the most.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Did you write the text?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you write the text?
    Yes.

When I read about Skyward Sword, there was something about it that made me think of Michael Morcock's Eternal Champion and how living out the life of a hero over and over again - same people, (somewhat) different settings - could be both a positive and negative thing.

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a good tutorial or tips on digitally painting leather texture by hand?

kingworks on