As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPhone

IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Social Entropy++
I'll probably get all kinds of shit for this thread, but it's totally worth it! Fuck yes, techno is the shit.

I'm totally aware that Knob hates to attempt to label music, but I'll try to adhere to some standards that I feel most electronica fans would agree with:

Trance: This is the shit I got started on. It's probably a bit cheesier to the indoctrined, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Tiesto - This is as good of a place to start as any. This was the first live show I attended, and I had a sunflower in my system, so I can't speak any ill of it at all. He's a good starter but not a great long term investment, in my opinion.
dj-tiesto-live.jpg

Armin Van Buuren - I've seen him live twice, and he never fails to disappoint, but once again, he's going to be more of the standard, anthemic trance; for beginners this is great, but for more experienced listeners, this might not be for you.
avb_asot.jpg

Progressive: This shit is the next step. Once you get sick of the same old vocals and beats that a trance producer puts out, try to listen to some good progressive shit. Sasha and John Digweed are both excellent DJ's, and when you put them together, well fuck me, it doesn't get much better. PLEASE, DOWNLOAD THE TRACK I HAVE LINKED! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.
200706_sasha_digweed_bonnaroo.jpg
http://www.filter27.com/archives/2007/06/sasha_digweed_bonnaroo.php

Electro: In my opinion, this is the future of electronica. There are many different artists that make up this genre, but James Zabiela is by far my favorite. Give him a listen and you might never turn back.
26.james_zabiela.jpg
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B9AD7SWF

Who else do you listen to? Any favorite artists, or good sets to share? I've got more than 15 GB of sets that I have no problem sending to anyone... let me know!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IHasABucket on

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's really inaccessible to me. All I hear is beep beep boop bop beep when it comes to a lot of this sort of thing.

There are exceptions, sure. I enjoy Ben Benassi's stuff.

Edit: BT is good too.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't we already have a music thread? Give it some love, it's boring when all it's comprised of is random people posting their current track.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IHasABucketIHasABucket Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Holy fuck, Ankjin, I'm listening to some Benassi right now!

Also, jmillikin, the music thread is alright; however, there's a lot more to talk about regarding electronica than fits in the music thread; for any enthusiasts, this is the place to be :D

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    boop beep boop

beep beeb boop

i don't like straight techno, i like the stuff that dj shadow does where he samples motown etc. so it actually sounds like music

i also like boards of canada

NEITHER OF WHICH ARE HERE

YOUR THREAD SUCKS

Orikaeshigitae on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pretty much the only techno I regularly listen to now is Infected Mushroom, especially their first albums.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DO DO DO

Abracadaniel on
  • TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Techno is an annoying genre. Not because there isn't great stuff, but there is also ten times as much shit to wade through, compared to a lot of other genres.

As far as what I enjoy, the DJ Doboy mixes and Lisa Lashes' early stuff, specifically:

B0000DESKQ.jpg

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
    edited June 2007
    boop beep boop

beep beeb boop

i don't like straight techno, i like the stuff that dj shadow does where he samples motown etc. so it actually sounds like music

i also like boards of canada

NEITHER OF WHICH ARE HERE

YOUR THREAD SUCKS

I dare you to say that after watching this:

http://www.bennybenassi.com/whos_your_daddy_uncut.htm?day=1&month=1&year=1977&_send_date_=Go NSFW NSFW NSFW

Yeah yeah. Fucking techno is the shit.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    benny benassi sucks shit

Orikaeshigitae on
  • GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I saw Armin van Buuren live a couple of weeks ago. Played a 5 hour set, pretty fucking awesome.

I also bought the one+one compilation put together by Zabiela and Fanciulli. I have been listening to these guys from Melbourne lately, Infinity Sound System. Their live sets are decent, they throw some good stuff in there.

Also, Zabiela is unbelievable at scatching, I would definately love to see him live. Gabriel & Dresden are also, quite frankly, awesome. As are Trentemoller's remixes.

At the moment, I'm listening to Neo Dance/Body Jack (Acapella) by Roman Salzger/Marc Romboy Vs Tommie Sunshine.

Glorfindel on
    edited June 2007
    the system is down

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2007
    TxdoHawk wrote: »
    Techno is an annoying genre. Not because there isn't great stuff, but there is also ten times as much shit to wade through, compared to a lot of other genres.

As far as what I enjoy, the DJ Doboy mixes and Lisa Lashes' early stuff, specifically:

clipped image

Lashes is some great hard house; c'mon, though, man, branch out! Try some Scot Project or something!

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I listen to DJ Shadow.

He has DJ in his name.

He is cool right?

<3 on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Plastic Compilations are pretty rad.

I also like BT and Underworld.

Shut up.

Meiz on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've got nothing against good electronic music.
    In fact I'm listening to the new BT record right now and it is very good indeed.

I just can't understand people who listen exclusively to techno or what have you.

people who are like "I only like music with a kickin' beat :3"
    God I want to punch them so hard

#pipe on
    edited June 2007
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    I saw Armin van Buuren live a couple of weeks ago. Played a 5 hour set, pretty fucking awesome.

I also bought the one+one compilation put together by Zabiela and Fanciulli. I have been listening to these guys from Melbourne lately, Infinity Sound System. Their live sets are decent, they throw some good stuff in there.

Also, Zabiela is unbelievable at scatching, I would definately love to see him live. Gabriel & Dresden are also, quite frankly, awesome. As are Trentemoller's remixes.

At the moment, I'm listening to Neo Dance/Body Jack (Acapella) by Roman Salzger/Marc Romboy Vs Tommie Sunshine.

DUDE I AM GOING TO TYPE THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I SAW ZABIELA LIVE IN CHICAGO

AND GOD DAMN HE MADE ME ORGASM IN MY PANTS

he was the last DJ i was able to take X at his shows, 3 dolphins, and Jesus I almost came in my pants.

Zabiela is the shit!

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    <3 wrote: »
    I listen to DJ Shadow.

He has DJ in his name.

He is cool right?

way cool

how is that new album of his

outsider?

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    I've got nothing against good electronic music.
    In fact I'm listening to the new BT record right now and it is very good indeed.

I just can't understand people who listen exclusively to techno or what have you.

people who are like "I only like music with a kickin' beat :3"
    God I want to punch them so hard

his newest was the one that came with the dvd and whatnot, right?

he did a show down here a few months back, didn't get to make it, unfortunately.

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2007
    i was able to take X at his shows, 3 dolphins, and Jesus I almost came in my pants.!
    i was able to take X at his shows, 3 dolphins, and Jesus
    i was able to take X at his shows,

this is the only reason people like techno

Orikaeshigitae on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does Technotronic count?
    Cause I loves me the Ninja Turtles theme
    T-U-R-T-L-E TURTLES!

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited June 2007
    I listen to DJ Shadow.

He has DJ in his name.

He is cool right?

way cool

how is that new album of his

outsider?

It's definitely different from his older albums.

<3 on
    edited June 2007
    in

in a good way, right

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2007
    BusterK wrote: »
    Does Technotronic count?
    Cause I loves me the Ninja Turtles theme
    T-U-R-T-L-E TURTLES!

cue jordyn or seattlites in t-minus 5

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2007
    i was able to take X at his shows, 3 dolphins, and Jesus I almost came in my pants.!

I've got one of his sets on right now (Live @ Dance Tuning Disco) and it's been more than 10 months since I've ingested illegal drugs. And I still love it as much or more than the last time I ate pills and saw him in person. Plenty of people just love the music, my friend. Don't hate, appreciate! :)

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007

he was the last DJ i was able to take X at his shows, 3 dolphins, and Jesus I almost came in my pants.

Zabiela is the shit!

bad electro-house is all the rage in Australia at the moment

god i hate TV Rock

the one+one tour came through earlier this month, but i couldn't go D:

Glorfindel on
    edited June 2007
    don't hate brah

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2007
    BRAH

DON'T HAET THE PLAYER

HATE THA GAMEEEEEEE BOYYYYYYYYY

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2007

Zabiela is the shit!

bad electro-house is all the rage in Australia at the moment

god i hate TV Rock

the one+one tour came through earlier this month, but i couldn't go D:

Neither could I man, neither could I. He was playing three times around me, but because of wedding and school commitments, I couldn't make it.

Do you want the WMC sessions 1+1 did? It's pretty fucking tight, and I would have no problem sending it over AIM if you really wanna hear it. Seriously, it makes me so happy in the pants.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    but i love my gameboy

Abracadaniel on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BRAH

DON'T HAET THE PLAYER

HATE THA GAMEEEEEEE BOYYYYYYYYY

but the game boy made tetris a household name

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited June 2007

nah

also IHasABucket, i don't have AIM

Glorfindel on
    edited June 2007
    Seriously, even if none of you fucks give a shit about techno, if you want a good song, go here and use the direct download link: http://www.filter27.com/archives/2007/06/sasha_digweed_bonnaroo.php

Sasha and Digweed are the fathers of this shit.

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Actually, the folks at pandora have a pretty good set of podcasts about music. There's a discussion about electronic dance music at their podcast site: http://blog.pandora.com/podcast/

Electronica's a weird genre that creeps into pop culture every once in a while. Usually because there's a high profile movie attached to a set of artists (Mortal Kombat and Matrix come to mind).

There's the standard fare, like Chemical Brothers, Lords of Acid, Fluke, and The Crystal Method.

I've been listening to a bit of Single Cell Orchestra, Climber, and Air.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
    edited June 2007
    in

in a good way, right

It's ok.

But nothing comparable to, say, Entroducing...

<3 on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hahahahaha

techno

hahahahahahhahahahaha

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited June 2007
    hahahahaha

techno

hahahahahahhahahahaha

Ahahahahahha

you're a cunt.

ahahahahaha

IHasABucket on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RpegRpeg bear at picnic table SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've been to, like, a dozen trance/techno shows, and I don't do E. not interested.

I used to be really big on this shit, but these days all I listen to (as far as electronic music) is Underworld and some IDM. I'm catching Underworld in NYC this September, which will be awesome.

Rpeg on
    Steam: FairyDick
    edited June 2007
    shoe, no more light switch raves for you

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2007
    in

in a good way, right

It's ok.

But nothing comparable to, say, Entroducing...

bah

bah!

have you heard him and cut chemist on brainfreeze and product placement

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like some aspects of this stuff, when it's done right. I mean, the shit that Aphex Twin guy is doing seems hyper-complicated as fuck.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD