As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should games feature characters that are bisexual/homosexual?

Final_Assassin_42Final_Assassin_42 Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I think so-mostly because it's a fact of life, partially for the sake of realism.

In memoriam; Douglas Adams-1952-2001.
I frag, therefore I am.
Just once, I'd like to be able to go on XBL, and NOT be called a mother-fucker.
Final_Assassin_42 on

• KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They shouldn't be forced to. It's all up to the writers.

Just going to have to get more gay game makers. Then when people refer to a game as "gay" they may at least be accurate.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think so-mostly because it's a fact of life, partially for the sake of realism.

Are you saying that we should somehow be able to recognize them?
    You apparently think that all gays and bisexuals are eminently noticeable by their appearance.
    I want to go on a rant here but I think that I should let you clear up your thesis.

Picardathon on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I think it's high time I was finally able to use the "pound a dude" button on my 360 controller. It's like no developer even supports this feature.

Really, though, I don't have a problem with it. It would probably be market suicide considering how many parents regard even casual exposure to homosexual themes as a horrible thing for their kids.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've got no problem with the presence of bisexual or homosexual characters, but don't force it. I don't need to see Dante wearing an absolutely fabulous pink trenchcoat just to appease people, but if you can make it suitably realistic that a character likes, or prefers their own gender, go for it.

yalborap on
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    sure, why not? it's high tim

tingle.jpg

aw too late

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm really not sure what there is to discuss here.

You might as well ask if games should feature Black characters.
    yalborap wrote: »
    I've got no problem with the presence of bisexual or homosexual characters, but don't force it. I don't need to see Dante wearing an absolutely fabulous pink trenchcoat just to appease people, but if you can make it suitably realistic that a character likes, or prefers their own gender, go for it.

Because clearly one's choice in clothing is an indicator of sexuality.

How old are you, again?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Are you saying that we should somehow be able to recognize them?
    You apparently think that all gays and bisexuals are eminently noticeable by their appearance.
    I want to go on a rant here but I think that I should let you clear up your thesis.

I'm as confused as picard. Is the OP talking about dating sims or something?
    Though I do think we need a platformer starring Rip Taylor

180px-Rip2.jpg

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have nothing against homo/bisexuals in games. But it shouldn't really matter unless their sexuality is important to the story, but game writing needs to take a step up before we can really start worrying about that.

I mean we don't know the sexuality of the vast majority of video game characters anyway.

YodaTuna on
    edited June 2007

How old are you, again?

I was making a joke. The joke being that they would not only take a normally-straight character and make them gay for no reason, but would do it very flamboyantly.

I obviously can't joke. Sor-fucking-ry, you dick.

yalborap on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really think, and sadly, that making a main character homosexual would be market suicide.
    I remember when they announced GTA:SA, people actually complaining about not wanting to play as a black guy. Now imagine how many people would complain or ignore a game starring a gay character.

Kyougu on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

How old are you, again?

I was making a joke. The joke being that they would not only take a normally-straight character and make them gay for no reason, but would do it very flamboyantly.

I obviously can't joke. Sor-fucking-ry, you dick.

YOU SHOULD BE SORRY.

serious.jpg

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited June 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I remember when they announced GTA:SA, people actually complaining about not wanting to play as a black guy. Now imagine how many people would complain or ignore a game starring a gay character.

And exactly how many copies did San Andreas sell?

YodaTuna on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't get it. Do people ask, "Should video games have black characters?" Or "Should video games have women characters?"

Asking it about gays makes about as much sense to me as either of those.

And after I post, I realize that apparently people do ask the question "Should this game have a black character?"

*shakes his head with mild contempt*

Shadowen on
    edited June 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

And exactly how many copies did San Andreas sell?

One zillion.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Really, television just got to the point where gay characters were more than just stereotypical flamers. Billy Crystal on Soap may have been one of the first to decently portray a homosexual, but it hasn't picked up much since then.

I don't see a decent narrative starring or otherwise featuring a homosexual character or relationship with any level of decency or seriousness in this decade. I mean, fuck, look at God Hand. Great game, featured a pair of gay characters that were villains. After beating them, the hero looks down and makes a snide comment about their anii.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited June 2007
    Really, television just got to the point where gay characters were more than just stereotypical flamers. Billy Crystal on Soap may have been one of the first to decently portray a homosexual, but it hasn't picked up much since then.

I don't see a decent narrative starring or otherwise featuring a homosexual character or relationship with any level of decency or seriousness in this decade. I mean, fuck, look at God Hand. Great game, featured a pair of gay characters that were villains. After beating them, the hero looks down and makes a snide comment about their anii.

Issue: God Hand also had you fighting a GORILLA. And had poisonous chihuahuas. That game handled NOTHING with any level of decency or seriousness. Great game, but it is ridiculous and over the top, and on purpose.

yalborap on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    What, draping him in red leather was too straight for you?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2007
    I have nothing against homo/bisexuals in games. But it shouldn't really matter unless their sexuality is important to the story, but game writing needs to take a step up before we can really start worrying about that.

I mean we don't know the sexuality of the vast majority of video game characters anyway.
    Enchanted Arms had a central flamboyant yaoi-type character as part of the story.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

It. Was. A. JOKE!

yalborap on
    edited June 2007
    Well, there was Will & Grace. I guess.

Though I remember hearing about some bizarre plot twist where Will winds up deciding he's straight and fucks Grace.

So... maybe not so much.

Also, there was that DS9 episode with Jadzia and that other Trill chick, although they qualify that with the premise that they were husband and wife in previous hosts.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    It. Was. A. JOKE!
    mine too

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2007
    It. Was. A. JOKE!
    mine too

...Dammit.

yalborap on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    partially for the sake of realism

Not many games really shoot for realism.

I mean, I'd like to see some main characters in JRPGs be older than 16 (and not be whiny little bitches all the time who just happen to be the world's last hope), but it's not going to happen.

Marty81 on
    edited June 2007

Enchanted Arms had a central flamboyant yaoi-type character as part of the story.

The merchants from Shadow Hearts 2 were pretty flamboyant, what with their naked man card collecting.

YodaTuna on
    edited June 2007

Issue: God Hand also had you fighting a GORILLA. And had poisonous chihuahuas. That game handled NOTHING with any level of decency or seriousness. Great game, but it is ridiculous and over the top, and on purpose.

I mean, that's true, but my point was that I couldn't readily recall another instance of homosexuality in a video game. 'Cept maybe Tingle, but you know.

Wonder_Hippie on
    edited June 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    partially for the sake of realism
    Not many games really shoot for realism.

I mean, I'd like to see some main characters in JRPGs be older than 16 (and not be whiny little bitches all the time who just happen to be the world's last hope), but it's not going to happen.
    Androgynous teenagers are our ultimate saviors, Marty.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    if i recall correctly.

some rpg had a gay character
    metal gear solid 2 had vamp, the creepy as bisexual vampire, and MGS3 had Volgin, the creepy ass bisexual evil russian general
    bully lets you smooch dudes along with girls

but yeah, no one would want to play as a gay dude. video games are marketed to youngish men, and who do they want to bang in the virtual world, busty prostitutes or toned twinks?

Casual Eddy on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How many realistic heterosexual relationships are there in video-games? I'm not optimistic.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited June 2007
    How many realistic heterosexual relationships are there in video-games? I'm not optimistic.

I wish I could lime this even harder. I don't like silly romantic plots getting ham handed by a shitty team of emo video game writers, I definitely won't like one if it feels like the relationship is homosexual just to be "interesting" or "different" or "edgy."

Wonder_Hippie on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You shouldn't make a gay character just because there hasn't been one before, you should make one because somehow his sexual preference impacts on the game in a somewhat entertaining or critical way.

Oh and umm, everyone is gay for bridget.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited June 2007
    It's always going to happen in an industry dominated by men and aimed largely at adolescent boys. One of the reasons we need more women in the creative process.

plus gays because they're like women right

Æthelred on
    edited June 2007
    You shouldn't make a gay character just because there hasn't been one before, you should make one because somehow his sexual preference impacts on the game in a somewhat entertaining or critical way.

I want a game where the lead character comes on to the player through the fourth wall.

Æthelred on
    edited June 2007

I want a game where the lead character comes on to the player through the fourth wall.

Really put that rumble feature to use, huh?

winkywilly2bp1.gif

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm all for it so long as it's a natural thing and not, "Oh and look here, we have butt sex in level five!"

I really don't have an issue with Luigi questing to save his boyfriend from Donkey Kong.

Incenjucar on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Characters in games, movies, books or whatever else should be no more or no less than what the creators behind them decide they should be.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited June 2007
    RPGs are probably the best place to introduce this.

That way, when homophobic parents get all uppity, you can point out that junior CHOSE the butt sex option.

Incenjucar on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    A NEVER-ENDING quest to save his boyfriend?

Its about time a xander (from drawn together) got a freaking game.

I don't have a problem with a gay dude being in game. I do have a problem with a gay dude's sexuality being crammed down my throat with a "SEE - HES GAY! HEY GUESS WHAT? HES GAY!!!"

I also didn't like san andreas, not cos of a black dude, but I hate that gangster/hood crap so much.

MrIamMe on
    edited June 2007
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    I also didn't like san andreas, not cos of a black dude, but I hate that gangster/hood crap so much.

I know; it was a bit like "hey cool, a black lead character for once. Wait, he's a gangster.. yay?"

Æthelred on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If it affects the game I would love to see it.

Enchanted Arms handled it so badly though. So sick of the stereotype.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited June 2007
    How often HAVE they had an "ethnic" protagonist who wasn't a stereotype reference...?

Incenjucar on