As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me something I DON'T know

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
No really!

They say you learn something new every day. Fuck that! There are a shitload of days where I don't learn squat. I bet you're the same way. So let's learn a bunch of new things at once to make up for all the days where we sit on our lazy asses and play Skyrim.

So I'm going to kick this off with one of the few areas I have any expertise in: the harmonica. Something a lot of musicians (especially guitar players) get really confused about is the key we harp players choose. I will now make it really easy!

Anytime a song is in a major key and wouldn't sound good with a bluesy harmonica, the key of harmonica to use is the same as the key the guitar player is in. If the song is in G, you need a G harp for this sort of thing. Folk music does this a lot. If you play Dixie on a harmonica, you're playing straight harp. Also you're likely in the Confederate army at a Civil War reenactment, unless you're reenacting the time Lincoln said it was one of his favorite songs. See! You're learning all kinds of things.

Blues is what the harmonica is famous for. So when you're playing the blues (most of the time) you're going to play the harmonica very differently. This is where cross harp comes in. You accent the draw notes instead of the blow notes, and you start doing a lot more bending (you can bend the first 7 draw notes of a harmonica, and the last 3 blow notes). This gives you that famous rock and blues harmonica sound, and it also changes the key you're playing in. In fact, the harmonica was not initially designed to be played this way at all, but nowadays we have specially designed harmonicas to make this easy (like the Hohner Special 20, which is actually my personal favorite harp). You'll need to play the harmonica where the song key is a fifth above the harp key. So if your guitar player says, "Blues in E!" you'll need an A harmonica. C harps play in G, D plays in A, G plays in D... etc.

Finally, there's a very little-known style called slant harp. This is for minor keys and special minor blues tunes. An example a lot of you have undoubtedly heard is the well-known opening song to The Wire, Way Down in the Hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzIuUW9VUr0

This has a very special scale arrangement, and you can't be as loosey-goosey as you can on straight or cross harp. You'll have to look it up if you're interested in playing this sorta difficult style. But the trick to finding your key in slant harp is to play a whole note key below the song's minor key. So, if your guitarist says he's in E minor, you need a D harp. If he says he's in D minor, you need a C harp. Easy!

Now it's your turn. Teach me some things!

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Only coins are legal tender in Scotland

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Brb moving to Holland

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    in Georgia (Europe Georgia, not America Georgia) their most common greeting, their form of "hello", is the word "Victory!"

the only culturally acceptable reply is "Victory to you!"

they actually have a myth of a certain kind of demon that waits on the road, and it is vital that if you are travelling you greet it first, because then it has to reply "Victory to you!" and loses all power to harm you.

(because you are victorious)

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    in Georgia (Europe Georgia, not America Georgia) their most common greeting, their form of "hello", is the word "Victory!"

the only culturally acceptable reply is "Victory to you!"

they actually have a myth of a certain kind of demon that waits on the road, and it is vital that if you are travelling you greet it first, because then it has to reply "Victory to you!" and loses all power to harm you.

(because you are victorious)

This sounds like something from The Witcher

Pretty neat!

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Did you know that:
      A cricket's ears are located just behind their front legs Turtles can breath through their butts The crack of a bullwhip is actually a tiny sonic boom The longest one syllable word in the English language is Screeched In Detroit, Michigan it is against the law to tie Alligators to fire hydrants

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    The former mayor of Nowata, OK was sold to gypsies as an infant during the great depression. He was not reunited with his biologic family for 60 years, until a chance meeting with a retired machinist from Illinois in a shopping mall in Arkansas.

That machinist was my grandfather and the mayor was his long lost brother, my great-uncle.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Did you know that female marsupials have two uteri, and two vaginas and another dedicated birth canal? The males have a forked penis capable of penetrating both at once.

When I read that, I was all :shock:

They only gestate babies for 4-5 weeks, after which time the fetal infants are born into the world, and must crawl up their mother's fur to the teats and pouch. Because of this their face and forelimb development are accelerated, but otherwise the newborn is very undeveloped (by mammalian standards).
    The infants live in the pouch into childhood, eventually emerging for longer and longer periods of time, but still returning to the pouch to sleep or when threatened.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    God dammit Stale

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    The common barnacle has the largest penis-to-body-size ratio of any animal.

• Options
    Almost every time we dive to the depth zone of The Abyss or lower in a submersible, we discover at least one new species of animal

• Options
    I feel like the deep ocean is pretty much where, if evolution was sentient, it started doing acid

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    moving the holland

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    If 4 or more Native Americans are on your property in North Dakota, it is considered a warband by law and you may kill them without prosecution.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    To induce general anesthesia safely in a patient with severe muscle weakness (ALS / MS / Myasthenia Gravis / Burn Injuries / etc.) you should avoid the use of depolarizing muscle blocking agents (Succinylcholine) as it will create a fatal cardiac-arrest level potassium concentration within the plasma.

Utilize high dose Propofol / Etomidate / Fentanyl instead.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    If 4 or more Native Americans are on your property in North Dakota, it is considered a warband by law and you may kill them without prosecution.

What

WHAT?

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    before deeds came into usage, to transfer land both parties went to the land and the seller picked up a twig or clump of land and handed it to the buyer to symbolically transfer the title, this was called livery of seisen

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    But... Way Down in the Hole is a Tom Waits song!

• Options
    One of the reasons Puerto Rico has refused to apply for statehood in the United States is that while it is the richest country in the Caribbean, it would be the poorest state in the union.

Yes, even poorer than Michigan.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2011
    Along the lines of the Scotland thing, Bermuda is a British colony where they drive on the right, drive European cars (Peugot, Opel, Renault, etc) and conduct themselves in a British manner.

Yet they take American currency and have artificially levied a 1:1 exchange rate.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    According to the Bible, the reason black people exist is because Noah's son saw his dad's penis and refused to cover his modesty.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »

What

WHAT?

There's also

http://www.idiotlaws.com/shooting-indians-on-horseback-is-legal/

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peugeot and Renault are French cars, Opel is German.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Peugeot and Renault are French cars, Opel is German.

Oh right.

Fixed it.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    People with brazil nut allergies can have a reaction if their lover eats brazil nuts and then ejaculates inside of them.

• Options
    Hullis wrote:

Massachusetts has no entries on that site.

Victory for us.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Moving to port.

• Options
    Are you an American who loves Mack trucks?

Whoops, they're Volvos.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I have always wanted to learn the harmonica.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    All swans that are not specifically marked for ownership (leg bands or bill stamps) in the United Kingdom (barring the Orkney Islands) are property of the current reigning monarch and it is indeed illegal to kill and/or eat these swans without prior consent of said monarch. The law establishing this was proposed and accepted in 1592 by the court of Henry VIII.

In May 2010 the chef at my local curry house in Bedford, killed and bagged a swan on the river, but was lucky to receive a 12 week suspended sentence due to admission of guilt : b

• Options
  • Options
    Y'all needa post some more myth related stuff.

Fucking love mythology.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Left handed people have a shorter lifespan, but can see better underwater

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    The last episode of Ren and Stimpy made me cry.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular