As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Tuesday Dec. 6, 2011 - Hermetic

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited December 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-sPswRkt.jpg
Don't you feel secure?

12/06/2011 - Anonymous

Years ago I worked for a small start up, and while running through a manual tests on the product installer. I discovered that if you set the user password to “a” (a single, lowercase a) then logged into the service, your password wasn’t actually “a” but something different. I couldn’t tell what the actual password was without access to the database, which was far beyond my pay grade.

This had the potential for all sorts of security problems. If the hashing algorithm for storing passwords was unpredictable, it could mean tons of misery for our users. Worst case it could mean that there is some sort of “master key” floating out there, waiting for some diligent hacker to discover.

I logged the bug and the dev it was assigned to told me to check out the new build of the installer and run my test again. I did as asked and got the same results. Then he came to my desk to see me reproduce the bug. I did as asked and got the same results. Then he checked out another build on his machine and tried to reproduce the bug. He got the same results as well.

In my mind, this was a show stopper. In his mind this could be fixed by requiring the installer to require a minimum of six characters for the password. There was no mention of possible flaws in the hashing algorithm in any of the architecture discussions that I was privy to.

Security vulnerabilities are basically just software bugs. Software bugs get out into the wild because they weren’t caught in QA. Sometimes QAs catch security flaws but they get shouted down by devs. Think about that next time you enter your credit card number for a subscription to a game.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    really? blu-ray? not illegally begotten torrents? what kind of fan does he think he is

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think the most staggering issue is Q owns a walk in humidor solely for Laser discs

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I think the most staggering issue is Q owns a walk in humidor solely for Laser discs
    I think the most staggering issue is that anyone could afford a place that has a humidor on a game tester salary. Even a lead.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Living with your parents frees up quite a bit of cash that would go to things like utilities and rent, etc.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    where'd you get the notion it's a walk-in humidor?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote:

I'm also wondering what made people think it was a walk-in. I assumed it was a regular humidor that had the sole purpose of housing those specific laser discs.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    If it's good enough for Jimmy Chamberlin...

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Would a humidor really be a good place to store laserdiscs?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's probably more for the sleeves.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm more amused by the idea that format affects canonicity of its contents.

Also laser discs are generally hilarious. Vinyl sized CDs! Truly a technology attempting to be ahead of its time and thus getting it very wrong.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Laser Discs wish they were giant CDs. Bitches were analog.

jackal on
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    I remember watching laserdics at my neighboor's house. He had all the best toys ... and never took care of any of it.

• Options
    jackal wrote:
    Laser Discs wish they were giant CDs. Bitches were analog.

The video was. The audio could be analog or digital.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I'm more amused by the idea that format affects canonicity of its contents.

They can do different color and sound mixes each different release, so it's definitely possible for purists to prefer certain versions. See: Star Wars

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Justice shot first

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    In the 20th anniversary Transformers DVD release, Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime was definitely more purpley-magenta than red. I don't know if there have ever been fan debates, but I can definitely say the original movie had the colors closer to the toy.

• Options
    I'm just going to assume that the original release of Lawstar had some pretty racist jokes that had to be removed for the Blu-ray release.

• Options
    Damn you, Wikipedia! Now I know about the existence of tobacco beetles.

I still can't figure out why the hell you would keep a laserdisc in a humidor, though.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I remember laser discs, I'm quite lucky I learned of Krillin's destructo disk well after we had lost them in Somalia or else....

• Options
    XevoXevo Registered User regular
    I am very disappointed that there was no story with this comic, it's the only reason I check the site on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The comic itself generally does not deliver, this week being no exception.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ivar wrote:
    Damn you, Wikipedia! Now I know about the existence of tobacco beetles.

I still can't figure out why the hell you would keep a laserdisc in a humidor, though.

It is a joke, goose.

• Options
    pyrojapyroja Registered User new member
    Also laser discs are generally hilarious. Vinyl sized CDs! Truly a technology attempting to be ahead of its time and thus getting it very wrong.

You do know that LaserDisc predates CD as a format by several years, right?

• Options
    That's what he's saying! LaserDisc was CD before CD was a thing.

Only it didn't get it right.

Also, I am with Troy; sexiest format name ever.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've actually met people who wanted me to watch / listen to stuff as a condition to being friends. It's a really bizarre process, people.

But that's why I like this particular strip a lot.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    He has been carrying the Lawstar Bluray on his person at least since the last strip.

• Options
    You don't carry a blu ray box set of your favorite 80s cartoon in your utilikilt? Welcome to the scrub tier.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Xevo wrote:
    I am very disappointed that there was no story with this comic, it's the only reason I check the site on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The comic itself generally does not deliver, this week being no exception.

I'm in the same boat. So far Trenches just hasn't clicked for me. I don't know if I'm still stuck on the artstyle (which I admittedly still don't like) but I read it just as a side effect of wanting to read the industry stories they post. Hopefully it's just late today?

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    This was my favorite story by far. I hate putting in my credit card number on websites! It's only been stolen and had to be changed 3 times in the last 2 years.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Fandeathis wrote:
    This was my favorite story by far. I hate putting in my credit card number on websites! It's only been stolen and had to be changed 3 times in the last 2 years.

Do you worry more or less when you use credit card at restaurants or gas station pumps?

• Options
    I have a phobia of using a debit card at a place I've never used it before.

Especially ATMs in the middle of nowhere in the dead of night. Maybe that's more rational though.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Xevo wrote:

I'm in the same boat. So far Trenches just hasn't clicked for me. I don't know if I'm still stuck on the artstyle (which I admittedly still don't like) but I read it just as a side effect of wanting to read the industry stories they post. Hopefully it's just late today?

It's the sort of thing that slowly builds.

At least half the point of this strip is buried in the previous ones. Isaac probably owns neither a Blu Ray player nor a TV, but doesn't want to admit that fact. He needs to watch the series to make up to his superior who dislikes him, but in doing so he'll have to throw himself on the mercy of someone else who dislikes him, while possibly trying to cover up the reason he doesn't have a TV.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    jothki wrote:
    Xevo wrote:

It's the sort of thing that slowly builds.

At least half the point of this strip is buried in the previous ones. Isaac probably owns neither a Blu Ray player nor a TV, but doesn't want to admit that fact. He needs to watch the series to make up to his superior who dislikes him, but in doing so he'll have to throw himself on the mercy of someone else who dislikes him, while possibly trying to cover up the reason he doesn't have a TV.

The problem is, that's probably like the next five comics :P It's taking a *really* long time to build up whatever it's building up to.

Edit: Yay, story is up finally at least

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    sonicbluesonicblue Registered User new member
    What's up with his hair color?

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Laserdiscs were ideal for cover art. Just a big square of high-res artwork that had to be scaled way down and cropped for VHS or DVD covers.

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Laserdiscs were ideal for cover art. Just a big square of high-res artwork that had to be scaled way down and cropped for VHS or DVD covers.

But VHS and DVD have a closer aspect ratio for movie posters

Also the humidor is probably to prevent laser rot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc#Laser_rot

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    bwanie wrote:

Well Laserdiscs are pretty big . Also I have no idea how large a humidor generally is

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    edit: fuck, how do you delete a post?

edit2: Oh, you can't? Well, then I guess this space is for rent

Ivar on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Bravestarr is actually on Netflix streaming right now.

I'm half-tempted to watch it.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ivar wrote:
    edit: fuck, how do you delete a post?

You can't anymore.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote:

Well Laserdiscs are pretty big . Also I have no idea how large a humidor generally is

Also, if the discs never leave the humidor then the laserdisc player would have to be in there with disks. So either it's a walk-in, or it's a jukebox.

Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.