As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Give me [Snow] or give me death

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    does anybody else feel terribly cooked in a coat no matter what the weather is? I went out with a short sleeved shirt today and everyone accused me of being from Norway

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Sassy was certainly not the intent and I'm not sure where you're seeing it.

Tentacle on hip, all sassy like.
    Hmm, I guess I can see that. That was more a limitation of working with snow as complete amateurs.

steam_sig.png
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote:
    does anybody else feel terribly cooked in a coat no matter what the weather is? I went out with a short sleeved shirt today and everyone accused me of being from Norway

Skiing/Snowboarding in Norway is not something you do in a shirt during proper winter. In fact, even going without something over your face is way too damn cold.

But yeah I usually feel cooked in a coat. But when you get stuck in a broken lift for an hour or two on a cloudy windy day you will thank the lord that they invented these things. I rather feel a bit too warm most of the day than freeze for some part of the day. At least you can unzip a coat to cool off.

fuck, winter makes me really wish I could still go snowboarding. it is the greatest thing ever.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    As a longtime resident of Wisconsin, I know quite a fucking lot about snow.

And there are some wonderful things about snow, let me tell you. Like all the bugs that die.

Just beware of the ice. And the wind chill. And try not to drive or shovel if you can.

Its amazing how helpful a proper Winter is for helping with bug problems. I hate the South.

• zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Oh god. I just moved up to Spokane a few months ago from Southern California. Today was the first snow.

I just wanna say, fuck you, fuck you all. I hope you freeze to death in your terrible wintery graves.

BRB, going to check what the penalty for breaking my lease agreement is.

• AimAim Registered User regular
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear.

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    I like snow. I don't like skiing, and I've never snowboarded--given that I've torn up the ligaments in one of my knees, I don't feel inclined to change either of those things. Snowshoeing is pretty great, though.

I think I only like snow cause I pay a guy to do my yard-work. Hated the chore of shoveling so damned much as a kid, though. But cold weather? Love it. I even love winter camping. -30 to +20 is about where I like my temperatures as an ideal.

Erik
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    So now I need to get boots. What boots ya'll using out there in snow board land.

• KistraKistra Registered User regular
    There are easy ways to avoid snowboarders while skiing - stick to 2 foot deep powder and double black diamonds and you wont see them.

I once went on a "ski trip" where only one other person had been skiing ever before and everyone else was noobs. I wanted to hang out with them but not ski on the bunny slopes so we decided to take a group snowboarding lesson together one morning. It was horrible and painful and gave me whiplash severe enough that I couldn't ski for the rest of the trip.

I thoroughly enjoy snow but I have been able to walk everywhere I needed to go for the last 6 years. We'll see how this year goes.

Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Crystal mountain is lovely, despite the fact that it broke my arm once. But Steinplatte>Crystal Mountain.

Best part of being an army brat is getting years of winter vacations to the Austrian Alps when your dad is stationed in Germany. Worst part is eventually moving to Pennsylvania, and having to explain to people that if your ski slope is on a mountain you call 'Roundtop' it's not really a mountain, it's a large hill with snow machines.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Snow makes my 151.2km one-way daily commute pretty shitty. Nothing's quite like a 2.5 hour drive to work through moose's backyards in the pitch black early morning.

Other than that, I think snow is a pretty cool.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Once I got caught outside for too long in Red Deer, without a decent pair of gloves, and it was minus 30-35 (Celsius). I slipped on the sidewalk and grabbed a metal fence pole to catch myself.

Never felt anything more painful in my life before or since, other than after I then sprinted inside a Superstore, ran to the bathroom and immediately applied hot water to my frozen hand. Holy fucking hell, I thought the damn thing was going to just explode.

Winter is the enemy.

With Love and Courage
  • LindLind Registered User regular
    Winter is great, bring on the snow!
    Been skiing since forever but decided to also learn snowboarding last winter and it was super fun. Got a pretty good ski resort just over an hour away and spent most weekends there.
    Final ride last year, pretty happy with how I'm at least semi decent on the board at this point (I'm the one in yellow pants)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsGz_wU8xMY

Got a trip to the alps scheduled in februari with some friends, its going to be awesome.

Nice! Man, I am so goddamn pumped!!! Fall snow, fall!

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I do no winter sports, but I love the snow. Except city snow comes in colors I've never seen before, and it is gross. Good thing I'm spending ten days in New Hampshire this winter.

Nothing like a day spent reading, writing, playing video games, or painting while lots of yummy snow covers everything.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote:
    Once I got caught outside for too long in Red Deer, without a decent pair of gloves, and it was minus 30-35 (Celsius). I slipped on the sidewalk and grabbed a metal fence pole to catch myself.

Never felt anything more painful in my life before or since, other than after I then sprinted inside a Superstore, ran to the bathroom and immediately applied hot water to my frozen hand. Holy fucking hell, I thought the damn thing was going to just explode.

Winter is the enemy.

If any of your body parts start to get frostbite like that, always apply cold water first, and then slowly increase the temperature. If you stick it in hot water immediately you have a very high chance of destroying the nerves.

• Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    So now I need to get boots. What boots ya'll using out there in snow board land.

Get something with quick lace. Tying laces is for gooses. I prefer Burton brand snowboard gear.

steam_sig.png
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Snow makes my 151.2km one-way daily commute pretty shitty. Nothing's quite like a 2.5 hour drive to work through moose's backyards in the pitch black early morning.

Other than that, I think snow is a pretty cool.
    That is a long fucking drive to work. Like, goddamn.

Fuck off and die.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Feels Like 85F around here, according to weather.com

Man fuck you mother nature.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Julius wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

Skiing/Snowboarding in Norway is not something you do in a shirt during proper winter. In fact, even going without something over your face is way too damn cold.

But yeah I usually feel cooked in a coat. But when you get stuck in a broken lift for an hour or two on a cloudy windy day you will thank the lord that they invented these things. I rather feel a bit too warm most of the day than freeze for some part of the day. At least you can unzip a coat to cool off.

fuck, winter makes me really wish I could still go snowboarding. it is the greatest thing ever.

But I used to nordic ski in a t-shirt all the time.

• DrukDruk Registered User regular
    Got first snow today...damn 10 inches by tomorrow, supposedly. So glad it's a weekend.

Got my boots. Salomon Dialogue. Very comfy.

So PA people, especially Seattle people, LETS GO FALL DOWN A MOUNTAIN!

edited December 2011
    Looks like Baker is going to get some snow on Friday night and Saturday!

mrt144 on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We usually have a few inches on the ground by now, but it's 50 and raining out. We did get a foot at the beginning of November, though.

All of this is ok, though. I mean, as much as people talk about the folks not used to snow driving like maniacs when it comes? There are just as many fucking idiots here in Vermont who lose their minds on the road.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited December 2011
    Shadowfire wrote:
    We usually have a few inches on the ground by now, but it's 50 and raining out. We did get a foot at the beginning of November, though.

All of this is ok, though. I mean, as much as people talk about the folks not used to snow driving like maniacs when it comes? There are just as many fucking idiots here in Vermont who lose their minds on the road.

Yeah, I don't get it. Every single year it's the same thing. It's like people get surprised that it snows in Canada. A solitary white flake hits the ground and people lose their minds.

We had a three minute flurry here in Toronto a couple weeks ago. I went outside shortly afterwards for lunch and was hearing sirens non-stop. The snow didn't even stay on the ground and yet there were still a crap ton of accidents that day. It took me a half hour longer to get home that day because traffic was fucked.

Honestly, winter tires should be MANDATORY.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I drive in all seasons even knowing what I do know about snow. I know snow tires are better, but I also drive extremely slow in the snow. I've never lost control because I'm not incredibly stupid. I'd be worried about making them mandatory because of the false sense of security a lot of people would get... they're already bad with four wheel drive vehicles.

"I'm invincible!" *into ditch*

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote:
    I drive in all seasons even knowing what I do know about snow. I know snow tires are better, but I also drive extremely slow in the snow. I've never lost control because I'm not incredibly stupid. I'd be worried about making them mandatory because of the false sense of security a lot of people would get... they're already bad with four wheel drive vehicles.

"I'm invincible!" *into ditch*

I've seen people get stuck in the middle of the major highway (401) here when there was barely an inch of snow on the ground. It was so cold and their tires so bald that they simply couldn't push the car forward. I always get a good laugh when I see that every year.

steam_sig.png
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    It's December and here in Southern CT, it's 55 degrees and pouring outside. This is usually 35 degrees with a chance of snow season.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    Its finaly started to get cold in my neck of the woods here in Sweden and we even have a little snow on the ground.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Scotland's getting hurricane force winds today and some kind of rain/snow mixture depending on where you're at. You've not lived until you're sitting in a double decker getting knocked about by gusts of >70mph.

Lh96QHG.png
    Went to stevens today and smowboarded. Had a blast despited being hella bruised and battered. Love my boots and binds amd board.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    mannnnnn

I wanna go skiing and boarding again

why oh why do I live in florida?

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Once I forget how warm the rest of the year can be, winter is fine. Can sit around in the cold without socks all day and it's groovy.

But the first couple weeks of coldish temperatures is a :bz

gotta work on turns and using the fall line properly.

Will be spending Christmas day riding with some friends, the only question is where.

edited December 2011
    And the answer was Sälen. Spent 8 hours in total in the car yesturday to get a day in the slopes but it was sooo worth it.
    salen.jpg

Lind on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    I grew up in Illinois. Snow in a flat place isn't fun, it's a pain in the ass. You can't sled or ski or do fun things. You can shovel.

Now I live in Connecticut and I have a bunch of students who love skiing. I still don't get it.

Snow is great when it's falling, a nice light fall, when everything is hushed and peaceful. Around here we get more Noreasters, though.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Mother fuck, middle of the eastern snowboard has no snow anywhere. It's getting ridiculously late in the season for nothing to have more than a couple trails open.

What is this I don't even.
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote:
    It's December and here in Southern CT, it's 55 degrees and pouring outside. This is usually 35 degrees with a chance of snow season.

As someone who has been going back and forth between CT and VT (with pit stops in MA) the past few years, I personally don't mind the delay with heavy snow. It is kind of disconcerting though given recent climate trends and the fact that you can step outside in December/January and it feels like spring mud season.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Just visited my parents in Denver. They have quite a bit of snow, though a lot of it is starting to melt.

Let me just say, as someone who is acclimated to: 1) Sea Level elevations, 2) Generally flat land, and 3) mild weather in the winter....well it really is hard to keep up with my marathon training while visiting them. I ran 14 miles on Saturday. Between the elevation and the hills, I wanted to die by mile 2. The sidewalks weren't completely cleared either, so half the time I was high stepping through a snow drift.

However, I love the snow and cold weather. I spent most of my childhood in Wisconsin/Iowa before moving to Texas in high school. Even after 17 years I still hate the heat here, and still miss the cold weather. I should look at getting a job in Denver...

camo_sig2.png