As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go post in the new STEAM thread, plzkthnxbai

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Edit: Also so... Cave Story+ is literally just paying $10 for the free game Cave Story?

The + indicates new, redone hi-res graphics. Still pixel art, but it scales up nicely to 1080p. You know, for the modern, sophisticated gamer.

Hunh. I mean. Maybe, if... no, no probably not. I guess if it goes on sale? I don't know that the graphics used to be bad at all?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Corpekata wrote:
    Interesting Steam Inventory update. If you use the drop down tab in the Steam part of the tab, it has a new sorting method. "Coupons." Wonder what that'll end up being. Guessing it'll be the equal of sending Steam Wallet funds to each other (i.e. I buy a 5 dollar coupon and trade it for your Half Life 2) sort of thing.

How do I find these things you speak of?

Community, profile, my inventory, steam. There's a dropdown menu that has gifts selected, coupons is there. I can't see any way to get a coupon, so they mustn't have implemented it yet.

The Steam Support site has been updated with a little bit more information about the Steam coupons. Still no word on how to get them though.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4210-YIPC-0275

Tertiee on
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Edit: Also so... Cave Story+ is literally just paying $10 for the free game Cave Story?

The + indicates new, redone hi-res graphics. Still pixel art, but it scales up nicely to 1080p. You know, for the modern, sophisticated gamer.

Hunh. I mean. Maybe, if... no, no probably not. I guess if it goes on sale? I don't know that the graphics used to be bad at all?

It really does look so much better. And I've always felt guilty about such a great game being free. If @Chocobolicious hadn't been a classy lady-gent and gifted it to me, I would have undoubtedly bought it, on the off chance that Gaben doesn't award me my top 10 wish list items.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Killing Floor's holiday event is starting tommorow it appears. Couple that with the new Defense Grid DLC tommorow as well and I'm wondering if the meta event might start then.

New Defense Grid DLC tomorrow?? *GLEE!*

I doubt they'll start the full meta two weeks early, unless they intend to do some kind of Advent Calendar style thing, which would be fairly sensible.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Plus, aren't there a bunch of extra features as well? Boss rushes and such? I don't know. Do want to get it eventually, though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    I bought Orcs Must Die on the Thanksgiving sale. Tempted to buy the DLC now, but I beat the game and have shelved it and moved on. I'm making progress on my game bank and don't want to get pulled back in.

camo_sig2.png
  • PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Corpekata wrote:
    Killing Floor's holiday event is starting tommorow it appears. Couple that with the new Defense Grid DLC tommorow as well and I'm wondering if the meta event might start then.

New Defense Grid DLC tomorrow?? *GLEE!*

I doubt they'll start the full meta two weeks early, unless they intend to do some kind of Advent Calendar style thing, which would be fairly sensible.

I just want something on my profile to keep my golden potato company...

camo_sig2.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011

It really does look so much better. And I've always felt guilty about such a great game being free. If @Chocobolicious hadn't been a classy lady-gent and gifted it to me, I would have undoubtedly bought it, on the off chance that Gaben doesn't award me my top 10 wish list items.

I'm pretty sure Choco is of the male persuasion.

He can probably weigh in further. Maybe.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    If you're a fan of slowly enveloping your opponents base with massive armies and creeping defences, might I suggest Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance?

teriferin#1625
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Tertiee wrote:
    Corpekata wrote:
    Interesting Steam Inventory update. If you use the drop down tab in the Steam part of the tab, it has a new sorting method. "Coupons." Wonder what that'll end up being. Guessing it'll be the equal of sending Steam Wallet funds to each other (i.e. I buy a 5 dollar coupon and trade it for your Half Life 2) sort of thing.

How do I find these things you speak of?

Community, profile, my inventory, steam. There's a dropdown menu that has gifts selected, coupons is there. I can't see any way to get a coupon, so they mustn't have implemented it yet.

The Steam Support site has been updated with a little bit more information about the Steam coupons. Still no word on how to get them though.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4210-YIPC-0275

Huh. that's interesting. Maybe it's something they've set up to give retailers instead of straight up giving game codes. I.E. Buy the new EVGA GTX 580 and get a steam coupon worth $20 or something.

Or maybe it's related to the christmas sale.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

The original Cave Story graphics aren't bad, but they are really low resolution. Cave Story+ also has some sort of challenge levels and extra modes, but I haven't tried any of that myself.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote:
    If you're a fan of slowly enveloping your opponents base with massive armies and creeping defences, might I suggest Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance?
    Note that if you bought this digitally elsewhere, it's very possible that same key can register on Steam.

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote:

If that's the case, his/her email address has some serious 'splaining to do.

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    When will Steam allow me to buy multiple copies of the same game to gift in a single transaction? Why does Steam make my laziness compete against my classiness?

camo_sig2.png
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    My friend has never expressed any interest in starcraft 2, so I'm not sure if thats the game for him. A mutual friend plays it pretty competitively so there have been plenty of times for him to try it, but he hasnt wanted to. As far as AI War, I stay 10 yards away from any RTS so I can only judge based off videos..But it doesnt look like it is basebuilding?

My friend does the following in RTSs: Beats the campaign. Then he will set up random games against NPCs set on easier difficulties. He will spend hours building up his base and smothering the other sides. Then he will wipe them out in seconds. Then he will click "rematch".

A big part of AI War is building up massive defenses at strategic planets. There is a game mode in the latest expansion, Light of the Spire, which is purely defensive. You select how many and which planets you want to defend, build up defenses and then the AI cuts loose. As far as basebuilding goes, that's in there too. There is an insane wealth of static defenses for planets.

True, the game isn't your standard RTS, and it has some pretty interesting and unique mechanics. It doesn't really play much like a traditional RTS where you steamroll your way through the game. You have to fight an asymmetrical guerilla war. When you do attack though, you will usually be doing so with overwhelming forces or specially designed fleets for the task at hand. And every system is a new and different tactical and strategic nut to crack, due to the game's procedural generation there is a ton of emergent interactions. That said, it draws from some of the best traditional RTS games for inspiration, the economic model is almost straight out of Total Annihilation for example. The massive amount of units to play with is another nod towards Total Annihilation.

It'll probably get a daily deal during the Christmas sale, and will most likely be cheap enough to take a gamble on. Or not. You know your pal better than I do, after all. I just love the damn game and get enthusiastic about it. Even though I haven't played lately. Because when I play it, that's all I tend to do.

Look, guys, this part's important, so I want to reiterate it.

AI War is really good.

Buy it.

steam_sig.png
    DaringDirk wrote:
    When will Steam allow me to buy multiple copies of the same game to gift in a single transaction? Why does Steam make my laziness compete against my classiness?

This is the reason my debit card was frozen 4 times during the autumn sale. Banks apparently get suspicious about 40 $2 - $15 transactions occuring within minutes of one another.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Huh, Steam does not want me to launch Orcs Must Die. Demo ran just fine...

JKKaAGp.png
  • busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote:

This is the reason my debit card was frozen 4 times during the autumn sale. Banks apparently get suspicious about 40 $2 - $15 transactions occuring within minutes of one another.

Well Banks have apparently never heard of Steam

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Might be better off using steam wallet for that

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    busfahrer wrote:
    DaringDirk wrote:

Doesn't matter. They must serve the Newell as well.

Drake on
  • busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    busfahrer wrote:
    DaringDirk wrote:

Doesn't matter. They must serve the Newell as well.

Everybody serves the Newell in one way or the other. Some people just don't know it.

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote:

Probably a good reason to dump funds into the Steam Wallet. I've started doing that when I can afford to do some gifting after trying to gift out multiple copies of DX during the summer sale and having a block put on my payment info on Steam.

steam_sig.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Steam Wallet is probably your best bet. I set myself a personal limit, put that into the Steam Wallet before sales, and never go over it. It helps you when you want to Serve the Newell, but you also want to eat and pay rent.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Fucking banks. What are they good for anyway? Gonna go join Occupy Wall Street and wave signs about the Newell.

• TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote:

It's kinda funny that this has been brought up twice in this thread this week. Apparently a quick googling of his email 'splains things.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:

http://www.nndb.com/people/219/000062033/

steam_sig.png
    Bullio wrote:
    DaringDirk wrote:

Probably a good reason to dump funds into the Steam Wallet. I've started doing that when I can afford to do some gifting after trying to gift out multiple copies of DX during the summer sale and having a block put on my payment info on Steam.

Wait. Okay, so I see the option to add moneys to my Wallet. Obviously that's just one CC transaction. You then have the option to use your Wallet funds to buy stuffs? And, if you end up with, say, $2.50 and want to buy a $5 game, can you apply $2.50 to the single transaction from both your Wallet and CC? If so, the only downside I can see is that I'd be aware of how much I spent...

camo_sig2.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Question: does Steam drain your wallet first when you make purchases or is it separate?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    DaringDirk wrote:
    Bullio wrote:
    DaringDirk wrote:

Wait. Okay, so I see the option to add moneys to my Wallet. Obviously that's just one CC transaction. You then have the option to use your Wallet funds to buy stuffs? And, if you end up with, say, $2.50 and want to buy a $5 game, can you apply $2.50 to the single transaction from both your Wallet and CC? If so, the only downside I can see is that I'd be aware of how much I spent...

That is exactly how it works, yes.

Al Baron wrote:
    Question: does Steam drain your wallet first when you make purchases or is it separate?

You can choose a payment option, so even if you have funds in your wallet you could still put the whole order on a credit card or PayPal account and not use the funds in your Steam Wallet. Though I don't know why you would want to do that.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    If you have any money in your wallet, it's taken out of there first by default. Though you can change the source of the payment if you wish.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
    Another stupid question: Is there a way to just see my friend's wanted stuffs? I can't go to Community > Friends > Wishlist Items, though I can check individual friends from there. Is there a way to see their cumulative wishlist? I will once again explain my extreme laziness; I realize it may only take 1 minute to search and find this info.

camo_sig2.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

verify the integrity or whatever. Same thing happened to me. Worked fine after that.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Damn it I told myself I wasn't going to buy anymore gifts, but then OMD when on sale again. You guys had better enjoy it when i give it away around Christmas! :D

Also, is it possible to create more than 3 giveaways at one time at Steamgifts?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Holy crap OMD is so much fun. I can't believe I didn't know this.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular

verify the integrity or whatever. Same thing happened to me. Worked fine after that.

It froze halfway through :P I'm just going to try and reinstall it. I think it had something to do with it absorbing the demo.

JKKaAGp.png
    Figgy wrote:

http://www.nndb.com/people/219/000062033/

So you're not a girl, you're an 11-year-old cutthroat manga superstar.

Or a dude.

Either way, you're one of the classy ones.

Holy crap OMD is so much fun. I can't believe I didn't know this.

It totally is. I love watching orcs get gibbed as they parade through my death tunnels, only to fry the ones that slip by.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote:
    Another stupid question: Is there a way to just see my friend's wanted stuffs? I can't go to Community > Friends > Wishlist Items, though I can check individual friends from there. Is there a way to see their cumulative wishlist? I will once again explain my extreme laziness; I realize it may only take 1 minute to search and find this info.

Easiest way I know is

Community > Home > "View all friend activity" (located in the "Your friends' gameplay stats" section) > Change to "MOST WANTED" tab

• ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    Hay guise? OMD is awesome. That is all. Also, if you're playing teh OMD, friend me so I can be even further at the bottom of the friends leaderboards.
    Srsly, I'm like dead last on all of them. By a lot.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    DaringDirk wrote:

Easiest way I know is

Community > Home > "View all friend activity" (located in the "Your friends' gameplay stats" section) > Change to "MOST WANTED" tab

Thats actually really useful and I didnt know this existed.

steam_sig.png