As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Yea, while I was still Infantry, that was when I went to the ER like 3 times (including Iraq), I just kept my mouth shut and the doctors told me it was just an allergic reaction to something I'm eating or around. They had me keep a diary of everything I ate, but they couldn't find a trigger. So they just kinda brushed me off.
    I went to an actual Allergy doctor at Tripler (I mean Cripler) and he was running some tests, but then I PCS'ed and that was the end of that.

I've lived with stomach cramps and having the shits every morning that it is normal to me. I come to PT, stretch with the platoon. Run to the bathroom, drop the kids off, then catch up on a run or back to the workout.

I'm not the type that doesn't get treated for stuff. My TBI from being blown up more then a few times ( a million fucking doctors and medication) and PTSD was like 8 months of talking to a Therapist everyday.

I've just been told for so long that it is allergies that I gave up and figured it was just something I have to deal with.

Hopefully this week my blood tests come back and I will let you guys know what is going on. The doc said I will possibly have to get a liver biopsy, that sounds fun.

Oh and you never EVER go to sick call if your in a line unit. I ran 35-50 miles a week with horrible hip bursitis that would make it so at the end of the day I couldn't even walk. Took the 1SG driving me to the TMC to get me to see a doctor back then. I did love the 6 months no standing for more then 5 minutes profile though :p

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote:
    I've just been told for so long that it is allergies that I gave up and figured it was just something I have to deal with.

And that's why military doctors keep shitting on us. Because they make it so inconvenient for us to get proper treatment it's easier for us to just say fuck it and deal with it.

Yet another reason why I'm getting the fuck out.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    And then there's me on the other end of the medical spectrum. In Afghanistan, and had a few lumps forming in my arms and legs the past couple months, and they had been getting bigger. On Thanksgiving night I went to the aid station and they expressed concern. Fast forward a couple days and here I am in Landstuhl, Germany, after getting fast-tracked the whole way here.

Landstuhl is pretty cool, they have "field trips" where you where civvies and go to places nearby. Not to mention I just spent the last few hours updating security things on my laptop on my open wifi. (I miss personal internet connectivity)

Ah Landstuhl isn't far from me. If you are in need of anything let me know!

Hope you get better man!

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    I tore my shoulder and what did the Navy Doc do? "This tear needs moar Ibuprofen."

Thanks, asshole.

RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote:

Hope you get better man!

I am also in the Landstuhl/Kaiserslautern area, so I second that.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    I tore my shoulder and what did the Navy Doc do? "This tear needs moar Ibuprofen."

Thanks, asshole.

"Doc, I can't lift a gallon of water, I'm pretty sure I tore something."

"Well, take some motrin, if it's not better in a week come back and we'll re-evaluate. Would you like a profil to get out of PT?"

"No, I'd like to get an MRI so we can see what's wrong then treat the injury not the symptoms."

"I think you'll be fine with motrin. Come back in a week if it doesn't get better."

That sound familiar?

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Laemkral wrote:
    Bloodycow wrote:

Hope you get better man!

I am also in the Landstuhl/Kaiserslautern area, so I second that.

Damn, I just got here! You guys know of any places for rent with a garage? We should all get together for a drink sometime!

Make sure you tell housing you want a garage, they might actually try and narrow down the housing to places with one, but don't let that be the deal breaker. You'll have better luck in some of the downtown and more built up areas, but a garage is pretty much a luxury here. Get used to scraping your windshield is my advice.

I'm only here a couple months more, but I would absolutely love to do a PA K-town/landstuhl meet. Plus, my social group could always use someone to replace me as resident geek/gamer. I'll send you a PM with my work email, feel free to hit me up if you need any advice on Germany or the local area or whatnot.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    My assignment got changed to Spangdahlem, Germany. Looks like I should be listening to this advice as well. :D

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    The joke/truth about sick call is that unless you're bleeding from an open chest wound and/or missing an appendage, they almost always start off with giving you motrin and/or crutches just so you go away.

On my 2nd tour, my roommates and I went to sick call because we had problems sleeping: going from being so amp'd up for numerous days with no sleep, to being so fatigued and dead tired that you couldn't sleep, until 3 days later it catches up on you and you crash hard. The first guy, got 4 ambien pills, I got a two week supply, and the last roommate got a month's worth of ambien. We all had the same story, we all gave the same symptoms, and we all got different results. This was the same tour my battalion surgeon went on the patrol, lied about what went on (caring for a civi who was hit and dying, all by a makeshift fire) and got awarded a bronze star with "V". Only he was awarded, none of the guys on the patrol got anything.

I hate almost all military doctors I've come in contact with because they treat care as some kind of assembly line, just moving you aside unless you're really fucked up. Best care I've ever received is from the VA; my only complaint is that they'll over medicate the shit out of you.

2013 cannot come fast enough. I'll have 12 years in and the only thing I want is to be out completely. I absolutely despise the military because of all the shit I've put up with and kept quiet about, and I know that I could not stand to do another 8 years.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
    Evigilant wrote:
    I'll have 12 years in and the only thing I want is to be out completely. I absolutely despise the military because of all the shit I've put up with and kept quiet about, and I know that I could not stand to do another 8 years.

That sucks so hard. You're so close too man.

I don't know how you stomached anything past 6.

Shit I'm not even a year into my 3-year commitment and I've seen enough bullshit to want out.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Zenitram wrote:
    Shit I'm not even a year into my 3-year commitment and I've seen enough bullshit to want out.

That's good.

It means that your brain is still dirty.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    Aviation medicine is just as bad. Our flight doc looks our symptoms up on WebMD right in front of us. Can't wait till he is not my only DOC anymore. Thank god I am healthy. Lord help me if I ever come down with something serious.

• Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    Aviation medicine is just as bad. Our flight doc looks our symptoms up on WebMD right in front of us. Can't wait till he is not my only DOC anymore. Thank god I am healthy. Lord help me if I ever come down with something serious.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Hopefully this is kosher. If not, Ceres, just smack me on the wrist and I'll be on my way.

You fine upstanding ladies and gentlemen of the Military Thread, if you'll allow me, I'd like to point your attention to this thread right here.

Perhaps some of your knowledge and experience could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

• darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Iceman, as soon as you find a nice place snap that shit up righ away. If you haven't already. Always take a contract with you when checking out houses. I've lost a couple of really nice places because the housing office told me they needed to "re-inspect" them, and when I called back a day later they'd tell me someone else got them. That pretty much goes for anyone looking for a place in Germany.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
    Also, if you find a nice apartment or house that is close to any kind of Centrum, make sure there isn't a bar too damn close. My first place was this fuck awesome apartment that was above a bakery. So I got that nice baking bread smell every morning. The kitchen was brand new with marble and industrial size stove top (gas) and oven and the rooms were huge (5 bedrooms for just my wife and I). But the landlords didn't mention that the bar that was 3 buildings over was frequented by a bunch of fucking adolescences that would cause all kinds of mischief into the late hours of the night.
    They keyed my wifes car on Queens Day (in Holland) with cock written in dutch on the hood and then all down the passenger side. Then the last straw was, we were walking to our front door around 9pm and some kids tore off from the front of the bar and almost clipped my wife with their fucking car. So I was out of that place in less then a week (after putting up with it for 6 months)
    Get a garage if you can, even if its a bunch of garages down the street. People get shit stolen out of their cars all the time or just messed with.

― John Quincy Adams
    So I got accepted for 35P!! I just have to complete an Airborne Physical then MI branch will sign off on everything. I got a choice of whatever language I wanted from Cat 3 on down, but I chose Spanish and a follow on assignment of 7th group!
    Six months seems like a ridiculously small amount of time to become that proficient in Spanish. I have all the swear words down already, so that is something :p

Oh and I go in for an Ultra Sound of my liver small/large intestines, Colonoscopy and a liver biapsy all on Monday. So hopefully this will be the end of me trying to figure out my stomach issues. Here is hoping that they find something wrong so I can move on from this.

― John Quincy Adams
    Hey man, congrats that's really awesome!

Also, found a house in a nice little village with a garage across the street which will actually fit my truck, as luck would have it! Thanks for all the help guys.

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote:
    So I got accepted for 35P!! I just have to complete an Airborne Physical then MI branch will sign off on everything. I got a choice of whatever language I wanted from Cat 3 on down, but I chose Spanish and a follow on assignment of 7th group!
    Six months seems like a ridiculously small amount of time to become that proficient in Spanish. I have all the swear words down already, so that is something :p

Oh and I go in for an Ultra Sound of my liver small/large intestines, Colonoscopy and a liver biapsy all on Monday. So hopefully this will be the end of me trying to figure out my stomach issues. Here is hoping that they find something wrong so I can move on from this.

Great deal. I'm envious of your group placement. I'm hoping to end up there in about a 2 year ish timeframe, though we'll see.

As a heads up, Spanish is ridiculously easy compared to, say, Arabic, but the pace is incredibly fast, as you suspect, so I'd recommend trying to self-develop a little bit of a baseline.

Alright, here's all the Spanish you'll ever need to know;

"Donde estas 'bitches', hombre?"
    "Muy cervezas, por favor."
    "Que hora es el automobus?"

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Alright, here's all the Spanish you'll ever need to know;

"Donde estas 'bitches', hombre?"
    "Muy cervezas, por favor."
    "Que hora es el automobus?"

Clearly not been to DLI. "So, wait, I know the word for 'geopolitical destabilization', but what is 'soap' again?" I recommend learning, in Spanish, "Quantum mechanics," "to dredge," and, say, "osteoporosis." That'll set you up for a mid term 1+/1+ at least.

Also, just got released from work at 0635 today with the next formation time Weds 0630. Christmas liberal leave. :bz

programjunkie on
    Clearly not been to DLI. "So, wait, I know the word for 'geopolitical destabilization', but what is 'soap' again?" I recommend learning, in Spanish, "Quantum mechanics," "to dredge," and, say, "osteoporosis." That'll set you up for a mid term 1+/1+ at least.

Also, just got released from work at 0635 today with the next formation time Weds 0630. Christmas liberal leave. :bz

Pfft. DLI.

Wow your instructors with such phrases as,

"Tu es muy bonita!"
    and,
    "Mi pantalones es en fuego, senior."

I guarantee you'll have a great time.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    What's the age cutoff for trying to get in OCS? I may try after I get my 4 yr. degree.

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    What's the age cutoff for trying to get in OCS? I may try after I get my 4 yr. degree.

Depends on the branch and the job you want.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited December 2011
    Well my time in Germany comes to an end tomorrow. I'm RTD back to Afghanistan, but it's been nice here and I was able to recharge my batteries (and buy stuff on Steam like a motherfucker).

The important thing is I don't have cancer!

edit: Is it wrong I was kinda hoping they would send me home just so I could get in on some The Old Republic MMO action?

Zenitram on
    Hey all, Happy New Year and happy pay raise! Now if only the price of a haircut would stop climbing like a rocket...

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Laemkral wrote:
    Hey all, Happy New Year and happy pay raise! Now if only the price of a haircut would stop climbing like a rocket...

Oh snap! I forgot about this. My BAH increased by a ridiculous $156 too (of course, I heard it went down in my area last year.)

How difficult is it to file taxes as active duty? Are there a lot of strange questions and "specific cases" that you need to answer? My guess is that it's either very easy or mind-numbing.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    It's usually pretty straightforward. I file through TurboTax and it's pretty damn helpful. Also, your base's legal office will probably have tax prep assistance being offered for free. I've heard good and bad things about it so like all things in the military it's YMMV based upon location.

The main thing is state taxes and your HOR, whether you deployed at all, and whether you received any bonuses. It should all be broken down for you on the form that you get summing up your pay and what has been taxed.

• thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Is it possible to get tricare assistance if you're separated and living in another country? I've always tried to steer clear of the mlitary's medical system for reasons detailed on this page, but now I am out and living in Australia, but I am not yet a citizen and I still have tricare.

e: basically can I just go to a doctor in Australia and get tricare to help cover it?

thehumandignity on
    TRICARE Overseas does exist, but I think you have to specifically enroll in it so they know where to cover you and all that. At this time, I didn't see any service centers for Australia listed under their pacific region site, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't get covered, just that it'll probably be a lot more difficult.

I'd give their Pacific branch a call/email and see if they can help you out or at least get you started.

VeritasVR wrote:
    Laemkral wrote:

Oh snap! I forgot about this. My BAH increased by a ridiculous $156 too (of course, I heard it went down in my area last year.)

How difficult is it to file taxes as active duty? Are there a lot of strange questions and "specific cases" that you need to answer? My guess is that it's either very easy or mind-numbing.

Also, being an active duty member. You can usually file through H&R Block Online for free. It's essentially the same thing as Turbo Tax. I tried it out last year for the first time, to see what kind of return I would get compared to going to my legal on base. It was a couple hundred more then I would have gotten on base, so I went with that. State taxes I still filed through my legal on base. Those are always a fucking hassle for me, damn Iowa.

― John Quincy Adams
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Speaking of Tricare...

I'm a military spouse, with my wife in active duty(Coast guard). Thing is, we never got around to signing me up for tricare prime(I have no idea what to do with it, and she kept forgetting about it until it was too late).

And now I'm pretty sick. Nothing huge... I think. Fevered, inflamed throat, ache's, etc. Something I can probably just ride out. However, it makes me worried if it takes a turn for the worse, or something else happens before she gets back from being underway.

Basically, I'm wondering what my options are without being signed up for prime. She has mentioned being able to go on base and get free or basically free care? I believe without being signed up for prime, I can still go to a tricare accepting medical place and get like, half off(which is still a ton of money, yay healthcare system). Can I sign up for prime without her around?

Just hoping someone has some insight on this. Been on and off sick for about two weeks now, kinda wanting to get some care that I can afford :/

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    Is she deployed or at sea or whatever the CG calls it? If so there's probably a way to get around her needing to be there to enroll you. Have you called the clinic?

Raslin wrote:
    active duty(Coast guard).

Those exist?

Joking aside, she should have someone in her chain of command equivalent to an Army/USAF First Sergeant who helps handle family related matters. Have her talk to them and they can help with the process for you. Honestly, as a spouse you should have that person's number, because helping take care of issues involving the military member's family is like half their job.

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    For starters, yeah, she's underway. Won't be back until march or later. Haven't called the clinic though, not sure how to really go about that.

As for the other post, we have an ombudsman who's the spouse of one of the higher ranked members, who takes care of family affairs and things, but I didn't think something like this would fall under her purview. Perhaps I should get in contact with her.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    Raslin wrote:
    For starters, yeah, she's underway. Won't be back until march or later. Haven't called the clinic though, not sure how to really go about that.

As for the other post, we have an ombudsman who's the spouse of one of the higher ranked members, who takes care of family affairs and things, but I didn't think something like this would fall under her purview. Perhaps I should get in contact with her.

I'm not super familiar with the CG, but from what I've seen of the Army, Marines and Navy, and being in the USAF, we all have someone who's job is to take care of family related matters. If it's as 'trivial' as helping you find the information you need for Tricare, so be it.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Hi guys, I was hoping some Air Force people can help me out. I'm currently a cadet in AFROTC, and it's time to think about future jobs.

Two choices are
    1) Unlikely Reach Jobs*: Pilot or Intelligence (I'll choose one)
    2) Space and Missiles (preferably surveillance or launch)
    3) Contracting

Reason being is that they have good prospects for work on the outside. However, there is another stipulation, deployments. I really love my girlfriend. However, she will be pursuing higher education after undergrad. So, if I have a minimum four year commitment, deployment for those years really doesn't matter since she is busy doing her own thing too. I mean hey, LDRs suck, may as well make it suck when it's both our fault.

*Also, I've been looking at Pilot, but the 10 year commitment might be a problem. I was interested in Airlift, such as a c-17 (love it) or c-130. How do deployments for airlifters work? A friend said it can look like 2 weeks away, 2 weeks at home. That doesn't sound too bad! If that is the case I wouldn't mind putting that first on my job list because I most likely wouldn't get it anyways. I have a great standing in my detachment, but my grades are good, not great. Plus I'm a cognitive science major, which is basically Psychology+. The alternative 'reach' job is Intelligence. I have no idea how deployments work and look for that.

Now a big thing for me with job choosing is being marketable for future jobs. I was interested in Combat Systems Officer/Navigator because my older friend got that, but I don't really see that translating outside the air force. Just some extra detail.

So, any information about the jobs I have mentioned and their available home bases, deployments and future career prospects is appreciated. Sorry this is so longwinded!

This discussion has been closed.