As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
Time for another cycle of this beast of a thread.

Share with us, SE - your successes, failures, struggles and triumphs battling against (or occasionally alongside) the Iron.

I'm going to kick things off with a discussion about this man, Jacko Gill:

5168859.jpg

He's being touted as the next big thing in men's shotput. Yesterday, at 16 years old, he threw the qualifying distance for the Olympics next year. He holds basically every youth record he can and is Under 18 and Under 20 world champion. He is the youngest and lightest person ever to throw the senior shot over 20 meters.

Anyway, he is stong as fuck. How strong? Well, here's a 192.5kg raw bench (sans spotter and a close grip?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpx8JvoYUS0

And a training montage for your general consumption:

And general thread business:

Required reading:

The Iron.

Required watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOWcrqOSevs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4jO21-a2W0

(hot damn, I never get tired of that video)

TheRealBadger on

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    That deadlift video is amazing.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I can do that, I just don't wanna.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    It is hard to narrow my favourite lifting videos down to two, but I think those pretty much cover it. Maybe I could add in Kawowski squatting 1000lb for a double...

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    dear god i need to get back in the gym. going on medical leave was the worst thing i ever did for my health, ironically.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Uni is nearly over

I bought some protein for the first time

I developed a love for canned tuna

Lets see if I can make it past my rather pathetic sticking points

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I don't know when I'll be able to make time to workout

Friday looks to be the most likely date to hit the weight room.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    The Karwoski double is out of this world.

This video is presented without comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRkfaG38t7Y

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Gonna squat and press tonight. It's my first deload week ever, I guess that's cool? I'm not sure how I feel about deloading every 4 weeks but it's what the man says to do so ok.

• Options
    Use your deload week to do light weights on your 4 lifts and then a bunch of other stuff you might not normally include. Core work, stretching, foam rolling etc. When I was on 531 I was running the deload every two cycles and it worked okay but yeah, it's a good idea to have it in there somewhere.

• Options
    I'm thinking I might do every two weeks as well. I skipped the first one just because everything was so very light but I think this week it's a good idea. I reckon I'll do some cardio stuff this week because I ignore it and shame on me.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    By every two cycles, I'm pretty sure TRB means every seventh week, not every two weeks.

A full cycle on 5/3/1 is one month.

I have been known to skip deloads, though. I really don't seem to notice a difference when I do them but it's hard to tell for sure without measuring my CNS activity.

Gork on
  • Options
    Cripes, I meant cycles and my brain went pbtthhhhhh and wrote weeks.

• Options
    Coach said "what do you want to do through to the end of the year? Do you want me to do you a 3 week program up?"

I said "Yeah, might as well. Make it hard eh?"

I regret saying that now. Day 3 and my callouses are getting painful and about to tear.

• Options
    How long does it take for a pulled abdominal muscle to heal up and should I be worried about it being something worse? About a week ago I was doing leg presses after squatting when the left side of my abs felt like they popped out in front of my ribs at the bottom of a rep. Ever since, they've been pretty sore at the top right near my rib cage when I stretch my torso out or when I put pressure on them.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Did the guy in that video seriously win a gold medal with a power jerk? Holy crap.

• Options
    Did the guy in that video seriously win a gold medal with a power jerk? Holy crap.

Yeah, Dimas split in training but did power jerks on the platform. He was just freakishly powerful enough to do that. You should really check out all of his stuff if you haven't seen it, the 96 Olympics is his best meet, but the 2004 Olympics, his last and at home in Greece, are very emotional. This is a good clip of the duel between him and Asanidze even if the color guy is a bit of a tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOBU5aG_ZJ0
    I get a little teary-eyed at the end when he leaves his shoes on the platform.

Seriously, he's one of the greatest of all time.

• Options
    Awesome vid, L. Love watching that man lift.

• Options
    EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    That was a great clip.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    I should've written it down somewhere, but what was that 5-day BBing routine again, Duck? I have exactly 4 weeks between semesters and have been slacking for like the past month. I'm gonna get in there and just live in the gym for the next month while I have time before January.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm pretty sure that was Ned Ryerson doing the commentary

• Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    Off to squat! Hooray for squat day.

• Options
    SoulburnerSoulburner Registered User regular
    this is actually my favorite dimas video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K837AwoIpFI

Training with "light" weights. If I ever struggle with being explosive with the bar I watch this before I lift and it totally helps.

The love from the guy doing the commentary is great too.

"I don't know how many guys you know that weigh between 175-180lbs that casually power clean 375 when they want to put it in the rack to do front squats, but you just saw it happen."

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Son of a bitch I have more trouble dragging my sorry arse out of bed in the morning than he does front squatting 200 kilos for 2x2.

• Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    Well gentlemen, I have joined the fitocracy club! Thanks for the invite link in the last thread. :)

• Options
    ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Weightlifting thread, I need song recommendations for when I get my pump on! I'm sick of my current gym playlist.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, I dunno if you wanna throw up a Fitocracy link in the OP or something, but here's one invite link, adds you to the SE++ group: http://ftcy.co/t1YuXL

poo
  • Options
    Weightlifting thread, I need song recommendations for when I get my pump on! I'm sick of my current gym playlist.

You'll never miss a lift again with this on your side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsdWEEb2SjE

• Options
    big fan of back in black, shoot to thrill, or thunderstruck by ac/dc

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular

Mark of Cain and Megaman X music

It's been two weeks since the gym and the only exercise I have done since then has been kettlebells. I hope the squats are kind

• Options
    they probably won't be, but after a couple of days it ain't no thing

at least in my experience. it doesn't matter how in shape i stay - if i don't do squats regularly, the next two days after i resume squatting is a bitch. doesn't matter if i've been doing bodyweight leg work or what, ain't no substitute for a barbell loaded up

• Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    Oh there's an SE++ fitocracy group? Cool I'll join, I actually recognise some names. The PA one has too many people.

• Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Pushed myself to the limit like I've never done before when without a gym buddy. Felt like vomiting by the end, so fucking satisfying.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Oh there's an SE++ fitocracy group? Cool I'll join, I actually recognise some names. The PA one has too many people.

yeah thats why i made it

hrmmm

maybe i can get to 300 lb dl by new years

at least a couple reps

maybe

poo
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular

I do all my final sets/PRs to Bad Boys for Life. Diddy's got my back when shit gets heavy.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote:
    I should've written it down somewhere, but what was that 5-day BBing routine again, Duck? I have exactly 4 weeks between semesters and have been slacking for like the past month. I'm gonna get in there and just live in the gym for the next month while I have time before January.

This is open to anyone, not just Duck.

• Options
    Borommakot wrote:

I do all my final sets/PRs to Bad Boys for Life. Diddy's got my back when shit gets heavy.

Can't find it right now but the remix version from "We invented the remix" is an improvement as far as lifting songs go.

It’s the version which begins “I’m the definition of, fuck it y’all already know”

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    My single, "My Single is Dropping" is dropping.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    I always think it's interesting to hear what you guys listen to when you lift. I have to listen to podcasts because if I listen to music it totally throws my actual lifting rhythm off. I want to lift to the beat and that's a bad idea with what I listen to.

• Options
    ramjam black betty is another good one to bust out some squats to

This discussion has been closed.