As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Miyamoto is retiring from his current position at Nintendo

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I had a Wii for a while, and pretty much every game I played would have been either the same or better if they just made it with a normal controller. I hear that now they have finally gotten the motion controls to a point where they are both integral and fun, as in Skyward Sword, but that is a very long time to get something working properly.

Like when I played Mario Galaxy or Smash Bros. or Twilight Princess I never thought "Wow I am glad this has motion controls" they were always an after thought and I never really preferred using them.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    ugh the 3ds isnt really that good at all

even during the fleeting moment that i got it to work it was just, oh, this is worth almost 300 dollars to Nintendo?

The DS itself is really excellent though

Too bad Nintendo couldn't make 3d as useful to gaming as touchscreens

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    usually yeah it kind of sucks

skyward sword used it in a lot of clever and engaging ways though

also, even though the motion controls are kind of dumb usually, I really like the pointer and hope it is something that gets carried into the next gen for all three consoles

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Been watching my brother play Skyward all week. Need to heal up so I can get down wit that.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    To me, with what experience I've had with the motion controls and 3D across multiple platforms

they don't add anything to my experience.

I mean, if they do for someone else, that's rad. More power to 'em.

I just fail to see the appeal, I suppose.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular

even during the fleeting moment that i got it to work it was just, oh, this is worth almost 300 dollars to Nintendo?

well it took developers a long while to start utilizing the touchscreen on the original ds, so I imagine the same will be true of the 3d

super mario land apparently uses it pretty well!

digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    DontShootToastersDontShootToasters the prettiest bulb at the ballRegistered User regular
    also yes everyone should go play skyward sword right now, even if you're not a huge fan of zelda games

digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Bundled with every new Wii.

It kind of had to be popular.

Wii sports was not popular because it was bundled with the wii -- the wii was popular because it was bundled with wii sports.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

well it took developers a long while to start utilizing the touchscreen on the original ds, so I imagine the same will be true of the 3d

yeah but there's not really something you can like do with 3D the way you can with a touch screen

it's just an aesthetic touch

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Sources, please.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Isn't the 3ds like $160 now

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Isn't the 3ds like $160 now

Yep

• Options

yeah but there's not really something you can like do with 3D the way you can with a touch screen

it's just an aesthetic touch

yeah, that's fair. 3d is never going to be as big as touchscreen

but as more developers get used to it the more cool stuff they'll do with the 3d, which I think is pretty cool!

digichuckarm2.png
  • Options
    I can't wait to see what they do with the wiiu

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Only thing keeping me from getting a 3DS is the Vita coming out in February. When Kingdom Hearts 3DS comes out though I'll probably bite and pick it up.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I am curious about the Wii U. Not the system itself, I am curious about the games. Cause if I remember right the launch/early line-up was pretty much all ports of other games that are already out on other systems.

Which

is not a smart move. I would hope they would learn from the 3DS' blundered launch.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

If you thought the Triforce hunt in Wind Waker was awful, wait 'til you get a load of THIS!
    No I don't know anything.

• Options
    I feel like the biggest blunder with the 3DS was releasing it in the middle of summer

think if it had launched in november with OoT and Mario 3D. It would've done way better

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

If you thought the Triforce hunt in Wind Waker was awful, wait 'til you get a load of THIS!

what if you fucking loved that shit

like me

I fucking loved that shit

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    I am curious about the Wii U. Not the system itself, I am curious about the games. Cause if I remember right the launch/early line-up was pretty much all ports of other games that are already out on other systems.

Which

is not a smart move. I would hope they would learn from the 3DS' blundered launch.
    I dunno, don't care though. Pikmin 3.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    The release date was part of it

The price was another

And the final factor was the fact that barely any good games were released at its launch

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Because I have a minor hand eye coordination disability, Nintendo's slowly been driving me away (and I'm not mad about it, the DS, Wii, and 3DS are great consoles that I just cannot play as intended).

So I'm less affected by this announcement as I used to be.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well that was the blunder

they released it way too early, the only game anyone wanted was OoT. Which while neat, is still a pretty version of a 13 year old game.

Then it was 3 months till Star Fox. Which, again, was a port of an old game.

and 2 months after that till Super Mario 3D land.

that is not a good release schedule for a brand new system.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

The price was another

And the final factor was the fact that barely any good games were released at its launch

a shitty launch library isn't hard to overcome

look at the PS2

it launched with nothing but raw garbage

but overcoming that kinds of means you have to put out good games shortly thereafter

and right now there are like three games that anyone wants

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    This is awesome. He hasn't really been the Zelda guy for over a decade now, and the Galaxy team proved that they are plenty competent.

If he gets to go back to making small games like the original Mario and Zelda (but nicer looking and with entirely different gameplay concepts) the industry and consumers will only benefit.

That said, I echo desire for the Pikmin sequel he's been promising for years now.

• Options
    Shorty wrote:

The price was another

a shitty launch library isn't hard to overcome

look at the PS2

it launched with nothing but raw garbage

but overcoming that kinds of means you have to put out good games shortly thereafter

and right now there are like three games that anyone wants

The problem is the games people looked forward to most weren't coming out for a while after launch

If they had held out on launching it until at least one of the games was ready, sales might have been better

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

what if you fucking loved that shit

like me

I fucking loved that shit

Then we can be friends because I fucking adore Wind Waker. <3

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    3ds stories

my 3ds had a loose hinge that bugged the hell out of me

just now I dropped my 3ds on the floor by mistake

not only does it still work, the hinge appears to have been knocked back into shape

magic

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    pokemon is the only nintendo thing I care about anymore

if they fuck that up with some attempt to be "innovative" that I don't want then I will become enraged with fury

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    pokemon is the only nintendo thing I care about anymore

if they fuck that up with some attempt to be "innovative" that I don't want then I will become enraged with fury

NEW NEW NEW.

NOW YOU CAN COLLECT POKEMON TRADING CARDS AND TAKE A PICTURE OF THEM WITH YOUR 3DS TO GET NEW POKEMON!

• Options
    You buy little plastic figurines of the Pokemon

and place them on the PokePortal

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    You buy little plastic figurines of the Pokemon

and place them on the PokePortal

I was gonna do this but I wasn't sure if Dich has heard of Skylanders

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    when is the next paper mario coming out on 3ds
    that is when i will buy one

or the wright vs layton one

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    wright vs layton one

UGH YES

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    wii sports is the best game ever, fuck da haters

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    People give him credit for the work of a lot of other people together.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Where the fuck is my Pikmin 3, Miyamoto? Don't think you can just walk away without delivering me a third Pikmin game.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i could probably do wii bowling with my friends every night, forever

• Options
    Where the fuck is my Pikmin 3, Miyamoto? Don't think you can just walk away without delivering me a third Pikmin game.
    He confirmed it was a WiiU thing at E3

Dunno anything about it's time frame yet though.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    when is the next paper mario coming out on 3ds
    that is when i will buy one

or the wright vs layton one

Probably late 2012 sometime.

I want some Advance fucking Wars myself. Hopefully more in the Days of Ruin vein.

I should really play mario galaxy again

dear thread: should I play galaxy 1 or 2?

I would vote Super Mario Galaxy 2 personally. Its like choosing between two awesome flavors of ice cream though, you win either way.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0