As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Thursday Dec. 8, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited December 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-8jTNqZ3.jpg
Profoundly Uncivilised.

12/08/2011 - Anonymous

How can I put this? I worked for a company… that was bought by another huge company… which turned it into the largest of companies… yes. Anyway, I worked in the localisation QA offices of the above in Dublin, Ireland. We had to test stupid-big games on every goddamn platform there was with schedules that were, no joke, measured in fucking minutes. Speed was our metric for success, and if we couldn’t keep time with the schedules, it was our ass.

This meant there were no time for test scripts, test cases or any of that stuff that makes QA slightly less than impossible. It made us fucking crazy. On uh, a ROBOT GAME SEQUEL… I had the indignity of having to call my Project Manager while she was at a goddamn funeral.

A FUNERAL.

I look back on it now and all I can think is that the job fucked my brain that far southward that I AND SHE thought it was just the nature of the business that calling someone at a funeral was AN OKAY THING TO DO.

FUCK games QA man, fuck it right in its Cthulhu-esque face.

There is only one way to describe it: profoundly uncivilised.

—-

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    It's every 80's space cartoon ever. It's beautiful.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    The Space Tumbleweed is actually the plucky sidekick!

• Options
    runwiledrunwiled Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote:

Apart from it's clearly just based on BraveStarr.

Aren't pop-culture references hilarious?

mpmdoodsig.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2011
    Hmm. Robot game sequel. Perhaps the recent crop of Tranformer games?

War for Cybertron was baller and if he suffered to bring it to us, then good.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    runwiled wrote:
    PikaPuff wrote:

The hero and general concept, maybe, but if that villain isn't Mon-Star from Silverhawks in a cowboy hat then I'm the Copper Kid.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    80's cartoons get the rose-tinted glasses treatment more than any other nostalgic topic I can think of.

So terrible, yet so fun.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    What is with the look on the cowboy's face?

• Options
    RaketemenschRaketemensch Registered User regular
    That's it. I'm heading straight to a plastic surgeon this afternoon to get myself an orange nose.

• Options
    toekneebullardtoekneebullard Registered User regular
    runwiled wrote:
    FINALLY!

I can't tell you how many years I've had this cartoon floating in the back of my head. I've asked SO MANY people if they remember it, but no one could come up with anything helpful. I was always hung on "Lonestar" and could never find anything on it.

You've made me a very happy boy.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    That's it. I'm heading straight to a plastic surgeon this afternoon to get myself an orange nose.

I wonder if it has been suggested that perhaps they are snowmen
    and their noses are actually carrots

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I do not understand the art choice in the orange noses. Like... its especially bad on the villian. Last time I checked, only drunks and santa really have oddly colored noses compared to the rest of their skin tone...

I don't get it. And this specific entry is the one that takes me over the edge.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Disrupter wrote:
    I do not understand the art choice in the orange noses. Like... its especially bad on the villian. Last time I checked, only drunks and santa really have oddly colored noses compared to the rest of their skin tone...

I don't get it. And this specific entry is the one that takes me over the edge.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't know how faces work, but people's noses are different colours than their faces IRL all the time. And it's really more of a salmon colour in this one, which is really just pink under the odd washed out pallet used here (the villain's face is totally Games Workshop's Bleached Bone colour). Or maybe it's every one, I hadn't looked that close before. So yeah, pink noses. Not that weird.

Aurich on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    For fuck's sake

People's noses aren't really any method cartoonists use to draw them

It's just a certain choice in character design, like the little black bubble nose on Disney characters.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

One of the terrible horrible Front Mission games that came after the third? Squaresoft + Enix became SquEnix before Front Mission 4 came out...

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    runwiled wrote:
    FINALLY!

I can't tell you how many years I've had this cartoon floating in the back of my head. I've asked SO MANY people if they remember it, but no one could come up with anything helpful. I was always hung on "Lonestar" and could never find anything on it.

You've made me a very happy boy.

I've never heard of this cartoon, so I googled. Turns out Hulu has all the episodes streaming free right now, so I can sate my curiosity.

What a wondrous age we live in.

Edit: I'm only like 3 minutes in to the first episode and already this thing is so trippy. And BraveStarr is some kind of native American analog, with powers of "hawk, puma and bear"? Stay classy, 1980's.

Edit edit: I take it back. His inexplicable animal powers aside, there doesn't seem to be anything culturally offensive in Bravestarr (well, ok, that name is pushing it, too), and it's nice to see a non-white hero in cartoons for once. Also, for badly animated 80s tripe, this show isn't half bad. Maybe I'm just overly amused by the fact that the first episode of a space western is an intergalactic battle of the bands, and the villain's evil plan revolves around the use of a wicked guitar.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Disrupter wrote:

I don't want to speak for Kurtz, but I'm fairly, (like, 45%) sure that he's not trying to draw photorealistic characters.

I mean Scott, jump in here and tell me if I'm being a douchebag, but it seems to me that any realism based criticisms of what is manifestly a fucking cartoon can be dismissed out of hand.

Again, I Am Not The Artist.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

One of the terrible horrible Front Mission games that came after the third? Squaresoft + Enix became SquEnix before Front Mission 4 came out...

Over a year later I am still angry about the fact I payed full price for Front Mission Evolved on release day.

Actually, I would have been angry about paying any price for it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote:

I don't want to speak for Kurtz, but I'm fairly, (like, 45%) sure that he's not trying to draw photorealistic characters.

I mean Scott, jump in here and tell me if I'm being a douchebag, but it seems to me that any realism based criticisms of what is manifestly a fucking cartoon can be dismissed out of hand.

There is a difference between stylized and stupid looking.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That distinction lies entirely in the eye of the beholder.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:

There is a difference between stylized and stupid looking.

I was going to put it more politely, but yeah, pretty much. A lot of people seem to find Trenches' style hard on the eyes.

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I'll cast a vote for liking the style. I think it's goofy and it sort of takes a little of the emo out of the situation/industry.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Maybe the twist is that it isn't a nose and instead is a giant gaping pink HOLE where his nose should be? DRAMATIC.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I should have known! It isn't for me.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    "Eyes of the Hawk, Ears of the Wolf, Strength of the Bear, Speed of the Puma!" With Deputy Fuzz as his sidekick. The villain had a sidekick named Scuzz. And the horse action figure was able to stand bipedally and hold machineguns.

I watched a lot of BraveStarr in the 80s.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I believe I pointed out in the last thread that BraveStarr is available on Netflix streaming and Hulu right now. And it is FANTASTIC!

For all my horror stories from working QA at [Large, Redmond, Washington-based software developer] I don't think I have anything that matches this tale for sheer awkwardness.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular

It's an interesting point - when in art does a piece reach the tipping point where it's no longer up to the viewer, it's just bad art? Presumably there must be such a point, otherwise anything could be considered good art because it just needs the "right" viewer.

• Options
    zalmatrazalmatra Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Evermourn wrote:

It's an interesting point - when in art does a piece reach the tipping point where it's no longer up to the viewer, it's just bad art? Presumably there must be such a point, otherwise anything could be considered good art because it just needs the "right" viewer.

exactly it just needs the "right" viewer.

any discussion of art is opinions.

biased half done no thought opinions.

its all subjective.
    if you want to attempt to be objective i think a longer more thoughtful post explaining your personal viewpoint in the arts sub forum would be a much more fruitful endeavor. that way there is real discussion*.

*as real as it can get on the Internets :3

zalmatra on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Evermourn wrote:

Exactly. I have been critical of the art style not because I thought it should be photorealistic but because the orange noses are immediately distracting to me as a reader. Not only that but in many cases, especially on the female staff member, it reads like negative space to me and looks like a hole rather than a protruding nose.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    It's one thing to do caricatures of people and their exaggerated facial properties and call it art. The noses in this comic suck, and you can't make me like them.

• Options
    bitfawksbitfawks Registered User regular
    If you made a comic on LawStar alone, I'd read it. I'd make fucking fanfiction about him sexualizing his man-partner, no doubt some kind of Space Native American.

I really like this. Almost too much.