As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Red Cross wants to put YOU in jail for warcrimes (stupidity / VG warcrimes thread)

MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin techRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Social Entropy++
So basically every one of us does stupid things sometimes. Those on top and us bottomfeeders.
But sometimes these things take me by surprise.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/six-hundred-million-gamers-could-be-war-criminals-red-cross-says/story-fn6bqpju-1226216867843

tl;dr: The Red Cross and Crescent are debating introducing punishments for gamedevs and gamers that make or play games in which you break the International Humanitarian Law.

I guess we can also talk about stupid things WE've done, that's cool too.

Mayday on

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    the last time I played a member of the military it was in the future against giant bug aliens, so the most I have to worry about is PETA

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I missed the relavemt part of the article can you please tell me the relavemt part in regards to war crimes that I commited?

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mysst wrote:
    the last time I played a member of the military it was in the future against giant bug aliens, so the most I have to worry about is PETA

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote:
    Mysst wrote:

some days I want to get DEATH FROM ABOVE tattooed on my arm

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    prosecute all CoD players

also we kinda talked about this in the bullshit thread

seeing as it's kinda bullshit

Kadith on
    zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    I missed the relavemt part of the article can you please tell me the relavemt part in regards to war crimes that I committed?

Games that are military simulators often do not stick to showing your characters abiding by the Geneva Conventions. The Red Cross wants to look at restricting game developers from making games that do that, and at penalizing games that do.

Basically they want to protect pixels from being harmed against international codes of conduct, and think that enacting improper virtual violence is a crime.

(not really, they actually want to restrict that because they think it influences people to commit war crimes in real life. Which is also dumb)

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote:
    prosecute all CoD players

also we kinda talked about this in the bullshit thread

seeing as it's kinda bullshit
    Shit, I even wanted to just post it in the bullshit thread but then I looked at it and thought "no, this is about scams and charlatans, something else entirely". but yeah, ok.

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    The only gamers that should be prosecuted are whiny bitches who rage quit at the drop of a hat as soon as things don't go their way.

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    have any of you guys committed a war crime lately?

• Options
    I bought Brink at launch and that game was offensive, but I don't think it's up there with war crime. Maybe hate crime.

• Options
    peticanoepeticanoe Registered User regular
    Shabooty wrote:
    have any of you guys committed a war crime lately?

my only crime is looking this good

i'll go quietly officer

comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
    what's the deal with nerds and cthulu
    when C'thulhu rises all those jocks will finally get what's coming to them
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I am writing a paper about war crimes

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    in perfect dark you could disarm an enemy and then walk around them to shoot them in the back of the head as they cowered in terror

i remember thinking when i was twelve that that was pretty cool

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    sherman is a war criminal

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    peticanoepeticanoe Registered User regular
    in one of the swat games you could arrest somebody and then kill them with a multi-tool after you cuffed them

comics monday to friday
    Rolo wrote:
    what's the deal with nerds and cthulu
    when C'thulhu rises all those jocks will finally get what's coming to them
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    i was a CHILD SOLDIER, i was ALL MIXED-UP

vQ77AtR.png
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I let a paramilitary organization take charge of my prisoners of war

just kidding I only used landmines and cluster bombs and white phosphorous despite basically everyone else agreeing not to

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Curtis LeMay admitted that if the US had lost WWII he would have been tried for war crimes

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    in 1880 when catherine started skirmishing on my borders with light cavalry i dropped nukes all over her larger cities

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    in 1880 when catherine started skirmishing on my borders with light cavalry i dropped nukes all over her larger cities

I still remember the first time I dropped a nuke in Civ3. Someone had declared war with me, despite me having three allies (and being the biggest on the board). I said screw it and dropped a nuke on their capital.

Suddenly everybody (even my allies!) were at war with me.

So the next time I used a nuke, I made sure I had enough to nuke every single damn city on the map that wasn't mine. Twice.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I just sat on my own little island and teched up and once all my cities had pressure domes I just launched the planet busters

nerve stapled the drones every week for three years straight to get all those missiles built

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    I played on the very easiest setting and got to the endgame like 600 years before anyone else

to keep the game going I diverted all of my production capabilities from research and stockpiled nukes to balance my enormous budget

and then I launched them all at once until every city in the world had one inhabitant

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Arang wrote:
    I let a paramilitary organization take charge of my prisoners of war

just kidding I only used landmines and cluster bombs and white phosphorous despite basically everyone else agreeing not to

Listen, if you got a better way than landmines to blast the hands and feet off the future children of your current enemies, well you oughta patent it cause man there is a market for that kind of thing.

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    oh my god if I start getting prosecuted for video game crimes...

well, I hope no one checks the abyssal mass grave behind my house full of imperfect IV pokemon

that's gotta be cruelty to something

• Options
    Tox wrote:

I still remember the first time I dropped a nuke in Civ3. Someone had declared war with me, despite me having three allies (and being the biggest on the board). I said screw it and dropped a nuke on their capital.

Suddenly everybody (even my allies!) were at war with me.

So the next time I used a nuke, I made sure I had enough to nuke every single damn city on the map that wasn't mine. Twice.

The best is when someone declares war on you because you won't trade a resource or because you built a city near their empire to steal oil or aluminum.

You fuckers have 1940's tech if you're luck and I have giant walker death robots and nuclear subs off the coast of your major cities. Know your role and shut your mouth.

Then I nuke them anyway. It's the only way they learn.

• Options
    one time I taxed the people of france so harshly that 30 million people starved to death while every other province under my control was totally tax-exempt

the endgame for this arrangement was that they would be forced into a peasant's rebellion which would give me a chance to test out quicklime shells

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:

well, I hope no one checks the abyssal mass grave behind my house full of imperfect IV pokemon

I warned you

I warned you all

• Options
    Skull Man wrote:

oh, naive skull man

nobody cares about imperfect pokemon

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    bugboy you'll be tried for reckless endangerment

just for the chumpy way you battle

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    man, I don't battle like a chump

cotton guard/rest ampharos and technician cincinno will take on all comers with style

• Options
    in battlefield 1942 it was possible to turn up the spawn rate of AI opponents to be something like ten times what the map was meant to hold

I exploited this by going onto stalingrad, camping near an ammo crate and throwing grenades at their flag from beyond the range where they would even try to hit me

by the end of the round I had killed 1200 men

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    Arang wrote:
    in battlefield 1942 it was possible to turn up the spawn rate of AI opponents to be something like ten times what the map was meant to hold

I exploited this by going onto stalingrad, camping near an ammo crate and throwing grenades at their flag from beyond the range where they would even try to hit me

by the end of the round I had killed 1200 men

Auschwitz simulator.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    They'll never take me alive! I have power armor and a jet pack and a space ship and I've killed whole armies on my own!

Yesterday I fought a pope using a techno-magic sphere to duplicate myself.

Come at me Red Cross!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:

Who remembers the Armenians Pokemon?

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mysst wrote:
    The Geek wrote:
    Mysst wrote:

some days I want to get DEATH FROM ABOVE tattooed on my arm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrVQKl04Ak

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    so if they're thinking of punishing people for fictional war crimes are they also considering rewarding people for fictional heroism

'cuz if so I'm gonna need a new jacket to display my seven hundred victoria crosses on

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Yup, it's right in the article

They want to penalise the bad behaviour and reward the good.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Whenever I lost a single Lemming, I would nuke em all.

This is what they get for not following my orders.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mayday wrote:
    Yup, it's right in the article

They want to penalise the bad behaviour and reward the good.

don't games tend to do that already, to a degree

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Only people who play games know that.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant