As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World War Hulk Thread: Non-Retarded Version

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited January 2008 in Graphic Violence
wwtMask wrote: »
So, as we all know, the Illuminati (sans Namor and Professor X) banded together to get rid of Hulk. They did so by tricking him into going to rescue a satellite, then trapping him in a ship and sending him into a wormhole. Since then, Hulk's been getting his smash on and leading a rebellion on the planet Sakaar. As fun as that's been, we all know he can't stay away forever, and when he gets back, bitches (especially Iron Man, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange, and Mr. Fantastic) are going to get the beatdown of their lives.

This is where World War Hulk comes in.

World War Hulk is a summer event miniseries totalling six issues that will also be crossing over with some of the other Marvel heroes. So far, it's been confirmed that there will be a main series, companion issues in The Incredible Hulk, a six issue WWH:Frontline series, and a WWH:X-Men three issue mini.

Newsarama write up of the WWH panel at NYCC

Newsarama interview with WWH:X-Men writer Chris Gage

Newsarama interview with WWH:Frontline writer Paul Jenkins

Newsarama interview with Mark Paniccia, Planet Hulk and World War Hulk editor

CBR interview with Greg Pak, writer of Planet Hulk and World War Hulk

So far, what we know is that Manhattan is going to get fucked up, as usual, and there's going to be a huge X-Men vs. Hulk rumble. I'll add more to this post as more info comes out, at least until the amount of content gets too ridiculous.

EDIT 6: Added new WWH pic
EDIT 7: Preview of WWH Prologue and Incredible Hulk #106

Hay guys, new WWH Pic:
WWHULKcvrinks.jpg
WORLD WAR HULK #1 (of 5)
Written by GREG PAK
Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Cover by DAVID FINCH
Variant Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Marvel's massive summer smashfest begins! Exiled by a group of Marvel "heroes" to the savage alien planet of Sakaar, the Hulk raged, bled and conquered through the pages of last year's "Planet Hulk" epic, rising from slave to gladiator to king. Now the Hulk returns to Earth to wreak his terrible vengeance on Iron Man, Reed Richards, Dr. Strange and Black Bolt -- and anyone else who gets in his way. Stronger than ever, accompanied by his monstrous Warbound gladiator allies, and possessed by the fiercest and purest rage imaginable, the Hulk may just tear this stupid planet in half. The epic story of anger unbound begins with this special double-sized issue written by "Planet Hulk" scribe Greg Pak and penciled by the legendary John Romita, Jr.

Previews for WWH Prologue: World Breaker and Incredible Hulk #106
WWHProps01.jpg

WWHProps02.jpg

WWHProps03.jpg

Hulk106pg01.jpg

Hulk106pg02.jpg

Hulk106pg03.jpg

bHulk106pg04.jpg

Previews for WWH #1
The World War Hulk Trailer

The (for now) complete checklist for the event
WWHULK001_int0064.jpg

More previews:

DJ Eebs on

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    A few ground rules before we get started.

*All discussion as to to the motivations or justification of the Illuminati, namely Reed Richards and Tony Stark is TABLED until World War Hulk #2 is out. Maybe you guys will get some perspective on that shit by the time that happens, but until then I'm not willing to put anyone through reading the same bullshit from the same people over and over again.

*If you guys fuck around again, I will shut this thread down until issue 2 comes out. The last thread was a train wreck, and I'll thank you not to repeat the shit that happened in there.

*If the same shit happens again, I will start handing out infractions. It is not difficult to hold a civil debate. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know how. So here's what I want to see: people letting shit go, people realizing that this is a fictional story about fictional characters and hopefully not taking this shit so god damned seriously. RELAX, people.

I'm doing this against my better judgment, because this is a worthy topic for discussion. But this thread is on notice.

DJ Eebs on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Geebs, you are the best mod ever.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can we talk about whether the Hulk and his warbound are justified or not, or will that get too close to what got the last thread locked?

Fencingsax on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What happened this week, for those who can't buy the tie-ins because they're in nowheresville right now and wouldn't anyway?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'd like to ask you all about the endgame. I'm pretty confident when I say there probably won't be any death outside of the Warbound. So what say you about Hulk's buddies' fate?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    As long as we don't dip into the "Hulk was justified because Reed is a dick who blew up his planet" argument.

If we look at the facts the way the Hulk knows them, is Hulk justified? That's a good question.

DJ Eebs on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is..

is it safe in here?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    It is secret and safe.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited June 2007
    I can't say anything about Frontline, but here's a brief summary of WWH: X-Men.
    It opens with Tony telling Charles to scan for any signs of Hulk, Charles thinks it's strange considering they launched him into space. Tony asks Charles how he would have voted if he was at the infamous meeting. Cut to Beast and the New X-Men doing a training mission, then catching Hulk's ultimatum, then the Sentinels leave the mansion, followed by Hulk's arrival, he wants to talk to Xavier.. The New X-Men get the shit kicked out of them, then the Astonishing X-Men show up and are about to fight Hulk. Charles walks out of the mansion and says that Hulk wanted to speak to him. It ends with Hulk asking Xavier how he would have voted.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    It is secret and safe.

marathon_man6.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It opens with Tony telling Charles to scan for any signs of Hulk, Charles thinks it's strange considering they launched him into space. Tony asks Charles how he would have voted if he was at the infamous meeting. Cut to Beast and the New X-Men doing a training mission, then catching Hulk's ultimatum, then the Sentinels leave the mansion, followed by Hulk's arrival, he wants to talk to Xavier.. The New X-Men get the shit kicked out of them, then the Astonishing X-Men show up and are about to fight Hulk. Charles walks out of the mansion and says that Hulk wanted to speak to him. It ends with Hulk asking Xavier how he would have voted.
    Does Santo have his shit ruined?

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yes
    Hulk pins him and says "You're the one who can control his body when it's in pieces. Question. Can you still control them...."
    He then rips the arms off and throws them sky-high
    "When they're in Connecticut?"

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Can he?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Yes
    Hulk pins him and says "You're the one who can control his body when it's in pieces. Question. Can you still control them...."
    Jolly Good!

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Apparently not.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    The battle really shows how different Hulk is from his old versions, he's still brutal and savage but he uses some damn good strategy and is smart.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yes
    Jolly Good!

$5 says he brags about "going toe-to-toe with the Hulk".

The Muffin Man on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I guess I should pick up the Hulk vs X-Men comic. I wasn't sure if it would be good or not.

Man, Frontline was way better than the CW:FL issues.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2007
    I may pick up Frontline next week, but yeah WWH: X-Men was good, it was just a scrappy fun comic. Which is what Christos Gage writes best.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Aside from the tie-in issues of books I read anyway, WWH: X-Men is the only tie in I am getting.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    God, for the seventh smartest person on the planet, Amadeus Cho is a fucking retard.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    It is secret and safe.

marathon_man6.jpg

D:

Calamity Jane on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So here's why I hated Frontline.
    Apparently, the heroes only evacuated the non-black, non-poor areas of New York. Bullshit.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    No that was the po-po.

DarkPrimus on
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    of course i had to say "oh CWXM sucked big floppy donkey dick im not picking this one up", then it turns out to be awesome

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I haven't read Planet Hulk, so that may be why I don't have an answer to my question, but how does Hulk know about the members of the Illuminati that didn't send him into space. They weren't on the message he saw.

Bogart on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Answered in WWHXM. He beat it out of Black Bolt somehow.

Synthetic Orange on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was hoping to just get the main books, but after reading all this awesome stuff, I am gonna have to get all the tie-ins.

This is the best Hulk ever. Not Banner smart... but clever. <3

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That just gives me a great image of Hulk being flipped backwards by the force of every answer he receives. Is he the only person to have beaten BB to get him to KEEP talking?

Wildcat on
    edited June 2007
    I'm really not enjoying the tie-in issues for WWH that much... once you start reading them it just gets a little... rushed?

Hulk's Diary.

1pm. Threatened New York, even got to work 'puny humans' into speech.
    1.30pm Visited Xavier. Wolverine still smells like wet dog.
    2.30pm Ghost Rider is on the roof, should see what he wants.
    3pm Miek, Brood, Korg and Arch-E took off. Brood apparently laid a billion eggs in the engine compartment and her kids are making me mad.
    3.30 Black Bolt just wont shut up!
    4pm Arch-E had his wheels stolen. Would smash but Ghost Rider still wont get off the roof.
    4.30 One of Miek's kids had his head torn off, should go see what that's all about.

etc.

Synthetic Orange on
    edited June 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    That just gives me a great image of Hulk being flipped backwards by the force of every answer he receives. Is he the only person to have beaten BB to get him to KEEP talking?
    Considering BB either let him win, or Maximus was involved, I'd say no.

Fencingsax on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I also love the exchange between Hulk and X23.
    "Who are you? Wolverine's Sidekick? You're a few claws short"
    "No I'm not"
    Extends her foot claw and proceeds to kick Hulk in the face

"Let's hope this one heals like Wolverine" As he throws her through a wall.

In short, if you don't buy any WWH tie-ins, at least get this one. Such a fun book.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    So here's why I hated Frontline.
    Apparently, the heroes only evacuated the non-black, non-poor areas of New York. Bullshit.

Nice to know that Frontline is skippable then, we thank anyone who spent money on it so I dont have to ;)

LockeCole on
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tx for the modding, was getting tiring having to respond to oftopic posts.
    WWHULKcvrinks.jpg

Oh *****ng yes.

BTW, on She-Hulk vs Hulk, here´s Hulk vs She hulk preview page
    WWHULK002008_color1.jpg
    Yeah, She-Hulk drew blood. Will that make Hulk even madder?

Hulk vs Ares
    WWHULK002010_color1.jpg

Hulk smashing
    WWHULK002003_color1.jpg

Reed and Black Panther using SCIENCE!
    WWHULK002014_color1.jpg

And will Hulk go after Namor, after finding out Namor was against his being sent to space? Will he forge an alliance? Or will each attack the humans their own way?

JCM on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    After reading Planet Hulk again I must say the most disturbing part was when Miek and Brood get it on. That panel where he holds Brood's tentacle up against the wall all erotic-like and they push the button is just unsettling.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited June 2007
    Namor will not ally with the hulk, but he won't go against him, either.

Fencingsax on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Considering BB either let him win, or Maximus was involved, I'd say no.
    Rhetorical question, my friend.

Wildcat on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    man, I need to take a look at the x men one, and probably even the frontline one...

I'm anticipating, and potentially dreading, where they will take this story.

I agree that no one major will die.. but maybe they will surprise us... and I'd love to see most/all of his warbound make it through, they would make for some GREAT additional recurring Hulk characters.

EclecticGroove on
    edited June 2007
    WWH Frontlines and X-Men werent bad, I'm just not sure what they're supposed to be adding by telling those stories. :|

Synthetic Orange on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Question.

What makes Banner transform into the diffrent Hulks? Is that ever explained or is it sorta just the writer's choice of what story they want to tell.

DharmaBum on