As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 12/07/11 - But I'm not just any man

UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Graphic Violence
From the Action Comics 4 backup with Steel; With him fighting proto-metallo
txJhL.jpg

Also the ending of Action Comics 4, showing off the new Braniac somewhat (dumb that we have to wait till issue 7 now)
l6nLW.jpg
nzGrk.jpg
Though I think from the ending, and with the two part arc that is supposed to have them in it, Superman will go to the legion for help.

From ASM 675, Vulture shows off some new skills, and nice call back to ASM #2 (Spider-Man's fist battle with the vulture)
FjOlq.jpg
also from the ending of ASM 675 (not really a spoiler), Peter's Peter Parker sense is going off (I really don't like the way the artist draws Peter's face)
WlWmd.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
UltimateInferno on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    X-Club #1 is actually the best book I've read so far this week, lots of dialogue, good solid humor, nice characterization of the team, and Cyclops is basically trying to not make them make the X-Men or mutants look bad. Really recommend it.

xclub1a.jpg

xclub1b.jpg

Animal Man #4, it hits that "that's so awful it's funny" mark:

animalman4a.jpg

animalman4b.jpg

And the TMNT Raphael mini series was really strong, and I've been completely won over on this series, it's really a very good reboot and I like how Raphael basically plays like Batman with regards to Jezebel Jet:

tmntraphael1a.jpg

tmntraphael1b.jpg

tmntraphael1c.jpg

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out what's going on in that last page of Animal Man, and I can't.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote:
    I'm trying to figure out what's going on in that last page of Animal Man, and I can't.
    the evil monster ate her son and faked his voice, and is now eating the detective. It's probably going to be changed by end of next issue because Maxine can fix everything with the Red.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    This is my MOTW, from Huntress #3. Helena's just so playful:
    huntress3thegroup005.jpg

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    She cheated! She already had her crossbow out!

But for realz I do like Huntress a lot, I wish it was an ongoing since it's better than most of DC's output right now

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would pay all the dollars for a Huntress ongoing. I hope DC wises up and adds it so quickly.

edit: that said, the really gleeful part there for me is that she's so confident she's checking her nails.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    but

she is wearing gloves

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    that never stopped a girl

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    It's kind of like when you pretend to check your wrist watch, even when you're not wearing one.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    My MOTWs:

Animal Man
    The introduction of Buddy's new companion, Socks the Cat, former Avatar of the Red!
    018.jpg

Swamp Thing
    It says something when I don't mind Yanick Paquette being gone, Marco Rudy is fantastic.
    ST004Zoom_pg016015.jpg

Action Comics
    Rags Morales' art was a lot cleaner and more consistent this time around, but what really knocked me out the park was Sholly Fisch's back-up. Loved the Feynman references!
    a-28.jpg

• Options
    Do you miss Secret Six? Buy Villains For Hire #1. It's basically Villains United and Secret Six mashed together.

villainsforhire1a.jpg

villainsforhire1b.jpg

villainsforhire1c.jpg

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Stormwatch, OMAC, Action and Animal Man were all at the top of their game today.

Swamp Thing was too, but I'm still kind of so-so on it, and reading it more to see Alec eventually hook up with Buddy. I like that Animal Man and Swamp Thing today both took a huge step forward toward that link, but other wise I find Swampy a little over-written and it makes too many callbacks to years of swamp thing that I have never read.

• Options
    There is a literal ass shot in that Villains For Hire panel. Wow.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Who does the art for the Huntress? I really like the way they drew her smile in the second panel.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    OMAC rocks my world every month.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I've been convinced. I will now be picking up the Huntress mini.

• Options
    Arryn wrote:
    I've been convinced. I will now be picking up the Huntress mini.

You will not be disappointed. It has been consistently amazing. Marcus To does the pencilling, by the way.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote:
    My MOTWs:

Animal Man
    The introduction of Buddy's new companion, Socks the Cat, former Avatar of the Red!
    018.jpg
    I'm guessing that Socks is the skeleton we saw in the Animal Man #4 scan above?

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:

:(

*sigh*

• Options
    Arivia wrote:

:(

*sigh*

?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I am so goddamn sick of gratuitous ass shots.

• Options
    Agreed. That one is just 80s spandex workout video, which makes it even worse.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    whats wrong with ass shots

• Options
    ryven wrote:
    whats wrong with ass shots

It's gratuituous and advances the scene and narrative in no way, shape, or form.

In a media where women are already marginalized and disenfranchised as readers and writers, random objectification is the last thing we need.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I think that panel's not that bad, really. And since Arlem doesn't really have a cheesecake style it works, especially with a villain named Bombshell.

• Options
    There are infinite ways you can lay out that panel that aren't that. There are infinite ways you can get across the idea of being a bombshell without that shot.

It's ham-handed and does the character a disservice, let alone the message it sends. "Lookit me! Imma butt!"

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I think you're seriously overreacting. He's clearly going for a cinematic layout with the panels and that's a common shot used in film - with or without a female. He's simply showing depth in the panel which makes the entire scene more dynamic which is definitely the approach you'd want to take in a group battle like that.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    He choose a way to portray depth that really showed off that ass though huh

Arivia isn't over-reacting. You can show depth in lots of ways that don't involve a really direct, blatant ass shot. An ass shot which is in no way necessary for the narrative. Bombshell is basically relegated to eye candy in that shot. She's pretty scenery.

It's something that reinforces a bunch of bad stereotypes regarding comics and artists should stop doing it.

Solar on
  • Options
    You can show someone's back for the cinematic angle without only showing their ass.

It's his decision to focus solely on that body part, and it's an offensive one.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I gotta say fellas

When one of the few women on this sub-forum (and I'm willing to be that anti, who is basically the only other woman here who regularly posts, would totally agree with Arivia) says "that shot is offensive to women" then I'm willing to believe her, even if I didn't already think it was offensive myself (which I do).

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yup, totally horrible shot. not as bad or gratuitous as the Civil War art, but pretty offensive.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Arivia wrote:
    You can show someone's back for the cinematic angle without only showing their ass.

It's his decision to focus solely on that body part, and it's an offensive one.

god i think you guys need to lighten up a little bit, lol

im just wishing it was deadshots nice toned ass

ryven on
  • Options
    wonder.jpg
    Those of us confronted with this continually when we look for our favourite characters: we care.

Anyone with an interest in equality in comics: we care.

If women are going to be actual people and characters in comics as a norm instead of just sex dolls, this sort of stuff needs to stop.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    id love me some superman/batman that looked like that

edit: i like how batmans the only one with hair on his legs

edit2: booster gold looks incredible, lol star nipples

ryven on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    hey guys, I have an idea

let's not be the stereotypical male comics fans that laugh off sexism and the objectification of women

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    The thing that always gets me about that Wonder Woman image is the lasso between her legs. It somehow takes the pose from being just ridiculous to outright dangerous if she tries to move at all.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hey guys, I have an idea

let's not be the stereotypical male comics fans that laugh off sexism and the objectification of women

I hear that

Solar on
  • Options
    JyrenB wrote:
    The thing that always gets me about that Wonder Woman image is the lasso between her legs. It somehow takes the pose from being just ridiculous to outright dangerous if she tries to move at all.

who cares about practicality, we have sex to sell

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Arivia wrote:
    JyrenB wrote:

sadly, this is america where most media is all about that

ryven on
  • Options
    ryven wrote:
    Arivia wrote:
    JyrenB wrote:

sadly, this is america where most media is about the same thing

and people can do better but only if they try

you asking "who cares" is insulting, demeaning, and makes women invisible

you're being part of the problem.

huntresssig.jpg