As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with this? FAT GRIPZZZZ

At least one guy i know (on the internet) swears by them, but it seems weird and i guess i could just wrap a towel around the bar.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    some of the guys in here recommended them

or wanted them

i can ask my powerlifting buddy. i think kako used them at one point? or brucelee? or one of the big fucks...

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I bumped up my leg work to x8 (from x5) yesterday and kept the weight the same as when I was working on bulking and almost gave myself a heart attack because of it.

I also started my more regular diet, which basically consists of meat, brown rice, veggies, tzatziki, and the occasional bit of honey'd plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and nut clusters.

To borrow a bit of advertising.. Tzatziki- I put that shit on everything.

adytum on
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    Anyone have any experience with this? FAT GRIPZZZZ

At least one guy i know (on the internet) swears by them, but it seems weird and i guess i could just wrap a towel around the bar.

We have them. They're lame. They just turn any bar or dumbbell into a fat bar. And fat bars don't make you better at much except getting better with fat bars, and can lead to elbow injuries. If you want the extra grip work, just hold your regular deadlifts at the top for a couple seconds before putting the bar down.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I saw a guy suggest doing barbell rows holding towels instead of the bar, like you'd do a towel chin up but backwards. I'm intrigued but who brings two towels to the gym? This is something to try when I have a home gym.

edited December 2011
    I used to bring extra towels to the gym to silence the screams of the power rack when I was doing rack pulls.

It didn't turn out well.

adytum on
    big l wrote:

We have them. They're lame. They just turn any bar or dumbbell into a fat bar. And fat bars don't make you better at much except getting better with fat bars, and can lead to elbow injuries. If you want the extra grip work, just hold your regular deadlifts at the top for a couple seconds before putting the bar down.

Oh right well thanks for the info. Anything i can do in addition to the deadlifts for the grip/forearms? Any exercises that could be added to any day depending on how wrecked i am at the end?

edited December 2011
    DB rows, farmers walks, heavy shrugs, and no straps. You're not a baby.

Peen on
    i'm pretty sure no baby would be weightlifting though, they seem too spongy

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    My wife will be giving birth in about 4 weeks and I am going to hand the little thing a dumbbell as soon as they've hosed it down.

• big lbig l Registered User regular
    9XUxX.jpg

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I didn't say a barbell! I was deliberately being sensible.

That baby is totally banging out that rep without any help from his spotter, good on him.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Reverse curls are a good bodybuilding exercise for your forearms. I know you're not supposed to say it, but they totally are.

• CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Even curls themselves can be nice for forearms. I've started doing them after deadlifting and find them good for making my forearms feel great. I just have very weak forearms. Ain't no shame in curls every so often.

My current plan is to buy some sandbags, fill them up, and just go for some long walks with them.

tumblr_lvthr2TWwV1qbs5d3o1_500.jpg

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Curls are perfectly fine -- just because bros do them doesn't make them a "bad exercise."

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Finally stalled on deadlifts today. Was going for 3x3x339lbs, couldn't bang out the last rep on the final set. Felt my back crumbling to pieces, guess I ought to step back and rework my form.

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    man my dad has forearms like goddamn popeye

and i'm stuck with these slender ass things

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    After a year of doing cleans and no bodybuilding my forearms are bigger than my upper arms.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    peen i'm pulling away

and i like doing zottman curls...i think they're alright for forearms? i can definitely feel it....i need to get them bigger in preparation of masturbation season

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH BEAST I'M DELOADING AND CAN PASS YOU ANY TIME I WANT

Ok not really, but that's cool. Enjoy 3rd. I mean hell Shaz is going to pass me at the rate he's going. I just don't do enough volume to rack up big points on that thing.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Actually a new guy joined today and he's like 300 points ahead of you.

I agree though, it does kind of emphasize doing more than you probably should be doing.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    If that guy doesn't identify himself as a regular around here I'm going to find him and beat him to a pulp with a lead pipe. For reasons why, I present Exhibit A: The groups he's a member of.

"I just want to get tone, not huge., i just want to get huge, not tone, hipsterfcj, I just want to get dense, not tone, I just want to get huge, not dense., I just want to get hune, not toge., weightroom, Fittit-CJ, Web Devs/Programmers , Bulking At Every Size (BAES), Australia, Decembulk, I just want to herp, not derp, SE++"

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yo that's me. What's wrong with getting tone? I just want to get dat tone, man.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited December 2011
    Also my workouts have not been scoring many fitocracy points lately. Oh well, less Internet points for me!

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    big l wrote:

Oh right well thanks for the info. Anything i can do in addition to the deadlifts for the grip/forearms? Any exercises that could be added to any day depending on how wrecked i am at the end?

I've used FatGripz a few times for a few different exercises... I'm not really that convinced they're the bees knees like many people seem to make out. They get your forearms a bit more pumped when doing certain curls etc, but like Tube said, you can just do some conventional reverse curls and do the job pretty well.

Ok fine. It just needed to be a real person, which you are.

But know that I'm judging you for that huge/tone group and don't let Tube see it.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Nooo, Amazon discontinued Optimum Nutrition whey on subscribe and save! FFFFUUUUUU-

As for bodybuilding routines, I did days of:
    Legs/Back (pulls)
    Chest/Biceps
    Deadlifts
    Shoulders (presses)/Biceps
    Legs/Triceps

Worked pretty well.

• Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    mmmn, new thread smell.

I've been hibernating for the winter lately, so I'm really out of shape. Just rode my bike to/from work today, and I'm disappointed at how much strength and endurance I've lost. I knew it was coming, but I'm still disappointed.

So apparently this is a thing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQl_8xHWtZI&feature=player_embedded

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    haven't posted a vid in awhile. Did some snatch off blocks @ 170 so those felt awesome.

And i remembered how fun muscle ups are (even if they are lazy, kipping muscle ups)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qN0FHw_GgI

i also realize just how shitty some things turned out in the video in editing. deal with it

Jyardana on
    I dunno if you know, but you're pretty fast dude. Those snatches looked pretty good too. I jelly.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I like the look of your snatch.

also does your gym have rings? Do them muscle ups on the rings like a man!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    back in the gym for the first time since august tomorrow.

be interested to see what my numbers are.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Had some idiot and his botox trophy wife doing those bosu kettlebell swings. And, of course, they decided to do it right in the middle of the pulley setup, so no one could use the adjustable pullies or the pull up bar.

3 hours MMA tonight, almost ruined my knee in a very nasty way but looks like I squeaked by without an injury. Squat day tomorrow.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Also, awesome video Jyardana, always like seeing your stuff.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys
    TheStig wrote:
    I like the look of your snatch.

also does your gym have rings? Do them muscle ups on the rings like a man!

I wish we had rings.

Hell, the middle school I teach at has rings. But does the uni? Nope.

Jyardana on
    Had some idiot and his botox trophy wife doing those bosu kettlebell swings. And, of course, they decided to do it right in the middle of the pulley setup, so no one could use the adjustable pullies or the pull up bar.

This is the kind of thing that gyms should get on people about. It's not just rude, it's legitimately preventing other people from using equipment and that's bullshit. It's like the dudes that use the flat bench press setups to do leg raises when there are other free-standing benches they could do that on. I hate people.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i worked out today with bcaa before instead of whey, cuz, i dunno it was on sale and i wanted to try it
    it doesn't taste bad

i did 275x5 deadlift and i still weigh 150, i think i can make it to 300 soon
    i don't think my form was bad, but maybe i ought to record it once to make sure my back was not rounded

poo
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    some of the guys in here recommended them

or wanted them

i can ask my powerlifting buddy. i think kako used them at one point? or brucelee? or one of the big fucks...

I wish I was a big fuck. I haven't weighed over 200 pounds in my entire life.

But yeah, I've used my buddys' fat gripz before. They seem to do what they're supposed to do. Make it harder to hold on to shit. I can't comment on the durability of them though. My friend doesn't use them anymore.

I used to attach them to heavy dumbbells and attempt to do Thomas Inch dumbbell presses. With nowhere near the same weight obviously. It was pretty fun, but don't buy them for the extra grip work. There are better ways to develop a strong holding and crushing grip.

Brucelee41042 on
  • WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Mini-success story to report:

My friend got me the specifics on 5/3/1, and I've been running it for 3 1/2 months. Last month I set a new personal best at squat of 330, which is a full 10% more than my previous PB. I've also got a new PB in military and I'm back to my previous PB on bench (which was, like, 5 years ago). And the best part is that I don't feel completely useless for real life after doing these wondrous things in the weight room.

1-week is next week. Looking forward to setting some new PBs.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

This discussion has been closed.