As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 12/07/11 - But I'm not just any man

2»

• Options
    ryvenryven Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Arivia wrote:
    ryven wrote:
    Arivia wrote:
    JyrenB wrote:
    The thing that always gets me about that Wonder Woman image is the lasso between her legs. It somehow takes the pose from being just ridiculous to outright dangerous if she tries to move at all.

who cares about practicality, we have sex to sell

sadly, this is america where most media is about the same thing

and people can do better but only if they try

you asking "who cares" is insulting, demeaning, and makes women invisible

you're being part of the problem.

i really wouldn't care if it was the other way around, with batman parading around shirtless in a thong

just think you need to lighten up a bit, it could be a lot worse than an ass shot lol

edit: id totally agree with you if we were talking about the way starfire was portrayed in the outlaws #1 (that kind of shit isn't necessary), but a butt shot? come onnnnn

ryven on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    ryven wrote:
    Arivia wrote:
    ryven wrote:
    Arivia wrote:
    JyrenB wrote:
    The thing that always gets me about that Wonder Woman image is the lasso between her legs. It somehow takes the pose from being just ridiculous to outright dangerous if she tries to move at all.

who cares about practicality, we have sex to sell

sadly, this is america where most media is about the same thing

and people can do better but only if they try

you asking "who cares" is insulting, demeaning, and makes women invisible

you're being part of the problem.

i really wouldn't care if it was the other way around, with batman parading around shirtless in a thong

just think you need to lighten up a bit, it could be a lot worse than an ass shot lol

edit: id totally agree with you if we were talking about the way starfire was portrayed in the outlaws #1 (that kind of shit isn't necessary), but a butt shot? come onnnnn

Dude, seriously?

It's offensive. Nobody can explain in any clearer terms than they already have. There are worse things but it doesn't make that panel any less bad, and that's just how it is. Nobody needs to lighten up. You need to take it more seriously.

Solar on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Coding women as sexual objects (which is what both that panel and Red Hood do) is offensive. We must resist it through naming it and making clear the ways in which it guides images of women's bodies, lest we are complicit in invisible oppression ourselves.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    i guess people have their own opinions :) i take sexism seriously, but i still dont see anything offensive with a butt shot like that, though id completely agree with the way starfire was hyper-sexualized in red hood #1 and things like that

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    ryven wrote:
    i guess people have their own opinions :) i take sexism seriously, but i still dont see anything offensive with a butt shot like that, though id completely agree with the way starfire was hyper-sexualized in red hood #1 and things like that

Sexism (the outright selection of a man over a woman on account of gender) is only one of a multitude of ways in which the patriarchy inherent to Western culture reveals itself. Undoing oppression - and doing good positive work on account of everyone - requires paying attention to all ways we damage and demean each other, not just the most abject.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Really. The only way to rationalize that ass-shot specifically is to say it's a way to show the character is there watching and give a good foreground/middleground/background.

But...why not just have an over the shoulder type of shot? There's pretty much no actual justification for it beyond "look, an ass!" and while in some cases that angle might work, there's no real reason for it there.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ryven wrote:

If you don't see anything offensive with a butt shot like that you don't take sexism seriously enough

And with that, I'm out of this discussion.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    see you later solar
    JyrenB wrote:
    Really. The only way to rationalize that ass-shot specifically is to say it's a way to show the character is there watching and give a good foreground/middleground/background.

But...why not just have an over the shoulder type of shot? There's pretty much no actual justification for it beyond "look, an ass!" and while in some cases that angle might work, there's no real reason for it there.

id agree with that. usually when i see a shot like that (whether movie, whatever media) its usually to show a person towering over somebody to show power, like batman looking down at a scared criminal or something

ryven on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Take it to the bitching thread.

• Options
    oreoguy55oreoguy55 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    But like, women super heroes are wearing tights, as do the men, I know they don't have to, like wonder woman could put on some pants, but its kind of all apart of being a super hero, showing off and stuff. For the men it shows off their muscles and abs and shit, stuff girls (I assume) would find attractive. For women it shows off their ass. Pulling attention to that isn't a great thing to do but if an artist wants to do any behind shots at all it can always be said "oh he just wanted to pull attention to her ass" when maybe he had to because the costume called for it. Idk i'm not saying it should be done but I don't think that ass shot in particular was there because he really really wanted people to see her ass.

Plus it's not that great of an ass.

oreoguy55 on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    1) You're wrong. 2) Wrong thread entirely.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    So, did anyone read Venom? How was it?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Venom was great! More good progression on Flash, a nice callback to spider island, some good fight lead up and...
    He steals Cap's bike

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    There was a good Shortpacked comic about this subject a few days ago...

Pretty great. Captain America guest-stars, we get recurring enemies and new developments in Flash and his struggle with the symbiote. It's a good beginning of a new arc for post-Spider Island stuff.
    And Venom gets the better of Cap, then steals his straight-out-of-the-movie bike

I saw in previews that Venom is going to be joining the Secret Avengers, and there's a 'New Fantastic Four' story coming up where Venom teams up with Rulk, Ghost Rider, and X-23 - so I guess the character is popular enough to be spread around (or doing badly enough to need more exposure, I can never tell).

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Shortpacked is still around?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    And thriving.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Fucking fantastic. This next arc is going to be banging. Buy it, read it, love it.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Remender's continuing success is making me really happy.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    My moment of the week is just getting back from a lecture by Chip Kidd at an Alex Ross Exhibition at the warhol museum.

First off, I'd been told that Kidd was kind of a self righteous dick but in person he was very fun and personable. He talked a lot about Alex and the Mythology book they did. He showed us a lot of cool stuff on the process that Ross uses too. Then he talked about a Batman Graphic novel he's currently writing that's coming out in June at the same time as the next movie. There's no connection between the two. He said DC's just doing the release like that because they thought it'd be cool. It has a pretty interesting pencil only art style that's mostly black and white with some soft colors to emphasize certain things. I can't remember who the artist is but he's really good at buildings and facial expressions. He also let slip that he's working on designing the definitive book about the Nolan Trilogy of films.

Then he showed us a bunch of comic con pictures and just geeked out for a little bit.

Overall it was a great time.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hope he got a deal similar to the one Morrison got in 1989.

Re: Venom. That's good to know. I got #9, and I am planning on getting #10 when I go to the store on Wednesday. But it's nice to get some reaffirmation that it's worth getting.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    who was it that wanted a digital copy of avenging spiderman

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Me please!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Saw a scan of the Marvel holiday special, and laughed at Moon Knight hitting on Songbird and getting shot down. Good times.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    New MOTW is ryven being an awesome and hooking me up with his digital code for Avenging Spider-Man 2!
    of course now I gotta buy the first issue.

UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    But then a digital copy would lead to a print purchase, and a bunch of people will implode! heh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    nah Id still be buying the digital copy lol, unless someone has a unused digital code for the 1st one still ;)

• Options
    you can have my code for #1 when iget home

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Action Comics #4 is my motw due to being the only comic I picked up.

I feel like I've missed something in the last couple weeks. edit: Nightwing #3, hopefully there will still be a copy hanging around next week.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    My moment of the week is just getting back from a lecture by Chip Kidd at an Alex Ross Exhibition at the warhol museum.

First off, I'd been told that Kidd was kind of a self righteous dick but in person he was very fun and personable. He talked a lot about Alex and the Mythology book they did. He showed us a lot of cool stuff on the process that Ross uses too. Then he talked about a Batman Graphic novel he's currently writing that's coming out in June at the same time as the next movie. There's no connection between the two. He said DC's just doing the release like that because they thought it'd be cool. It has a pretty interesting pencil only art style that's mostly black and white with some soft colors to emphasize certain things. I can't remember who the artist is but he's really good at buildings and facial expressions. He also let slip that he's working on designing the definitive book about the Nolan Trilogy of films.

Then he showed us a bunch of comic con pictures and just geeked out for a little bit.

was a pretty decent exhibit i thought. though i liked where they ad warhol vs rockwell, vs ross better

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ryven wrote:
    you can have my code for #1 when iget home

You are literally the best!

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    It has been really hard to pick out any single MOTW this week and last week.

having finally gotten to read the second and third issues on wonder woman and supergirl last week, and getting caught up on action comics and flash and batwoman this week -- god damn is DC doing a good job with the reboot.

I cannot believe how good Flash looks in particular. The sense of physical heft, accurate musculature, wonderfully modulated linework and rich colors are all so stupidly good and then the layouts get more and more inventive each issue. I look at the sensitivity to linework and the open-hearted gee whiz writing and I'm kind of embarrassed at myself for tolerating Greg land x-men treadmill stuff.

Batwoman must be averaging three or four art styles per page and frequently that many per panel. The feeling of a superabundance of ideas spilling out of each page is something I must have forgotten existed after the last two years of Iron Man's pacing or piles of x-issues about stryfe and sentinels and religious fanatics who hate mutants and zzzz

Wolverine & the x-school is promising, having said that. Got the first two issues and I want to like it since x-force is the only thing I'm still reading. It's hard for me to really throw it in the running for Moment status next to the Flash realizing he can think at super speed or Batwoman being surrounded by ghosts that look like drowning silent movie starlets.

Casanova is still reliably awesome. Got the current two issues of that and if they don't release a giant Absolute type edition of this someday I will be very very cross.

• Options
    JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    My MOTW was finally getting to read the Black Mirror Detective Comics run. Just as good as everyone said it would be.

Reopens the whole "Dick isn't Batman anymore" wound, though.

• Options
    My NYCC sketch from Jamie McKelvie finally arrived after surviving the gauntlet of the Royal Post, Customs, and the USPS delivering it in the rain and me nearly missing the guy because I am hobbled.

• Options
    Worth it though

• Options
    Indeed.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    mts wrote:

was a pretty decent exhibit i thought. though i liked where they ad warhol vs rockwell, vs ross better

Was that the inspirations room? Yeah that had some really cool stuff in it. The Rockwell United Nations piece was especially powerful. Maybe it was my own fault but I always think of the magazine cover paintings when I think of Rockwell. Seeing that piece took me by surprise.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    Surprisingly, my favorite this week was the TMNT Raphael micro series. Though it may have come out last week.

I liked it more than the main book, and it really sold me on new Casey Jones.

Plus:
    Bebop and Rocksteady

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    mts wrote:

Was that the inspirations room? Yeah that had some really cool stuff in it. The Rockwell United Nations piece was especially powerful. Maybe it was my own fault but I always think of the magazine cover paintings when I think of Rockwell. Seeing that piece took me by surprise.

i think so, it was off to the right from the main ross exhibit. had a big table in the middle. i agree about rockwell, it was really cool seeing non-cover work

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Every time I see the thread title, I want to say I AM BATMAN!