As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rain? Snow? Try $5.5b in debt [US POSTAL SERVICE]

1234568»

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    zepherin wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    I'm not sure what alternatives Netflix would even have.

Further push people towards streaming and away from DVD-by-mail.

Well the US will be pay-by-the-megabyte within a year or so in all likelihood, so that's a no go as well
    I think there is enough backlash towards that idea that isps have been rethinking that strategy on the home internet level.

You'll get caps instead. Same effect, less bitching.

shryke on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:

Well the US will be pay-by-the-megabyte within a year or so in all likelihood, so that's a no go as well

How much you want to bet?

No, because google and netflix will oppose it and they have quite a bit of muscle

Thank god we have some large powerful corporations to protect us from the large powerful corporations

• Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:

How much you want to bet?

No, because google and netflix will oppose it and they have quite a bit of muscle

Thank god we have some large powerful corporations to protect us from the large powerful corporations

It's in Netflix's best interest that streaming costs more per gb - means less infrastructure and maintenance on their end.

all depends on what becomes the defacto standard.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    ]

It's in Netflix's best interest that streaming costs more per gb - means less infrastructure and maintenance on their end.

Netflix is at war with Redbox. If it costs more to stream, that $1.10 per DVD at the big red kiosk becomes the de facto standard.

The more expensive streaming is, the more likely the consumer is going to say "Fuck Netflix." As the Post Office collapses, that becomes more true.

• Options
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    ]

Netflix is at war with Redbox. If it costs more to stream, that $1.10 per DVD at the big red kiosk becomes the de facto standard.

The more expensive streaming is, the more likely the consumer is going to say "Fuck Netflix." As the Post Office collapses, that becomes more true.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It really isn't in netflix's interest, why would I pay for Netflix if I only have enough bandwidth to use it for the first week of each month

override367 on
  • Options
    It really isn't in netflix's interest, why would I pay for Netflix if I only have enough bandwidth to use it for the first week of each month

I actually think Microsoft and Apple will be bigger counterweights to capping than Netflix. They both want to move everything into the cloud, and there's no bigger obstacle to that than bandwidth caps. Even if people won't ever reach those caps, the psychological worry about it will prevent cloud computing from becoming the standard.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

I actually think Microsoft and Apple will be bigger counterweights to capping than Netflix. They both want to move everything into the cloud, and there's no bigger obstacle to that than bandwidth caps. Even if people won't ever reach those caps, the psychological worry about it will prevent cloud computing from becoming the standard.

I like to think Valve will throw some money to fight it too since theyre really into the whole download a bunch of stuff thing.

• Options
    Google has more invested in everyone having bandwidth than anyone, the internet is kind of their thing

Like, they're our knight in shining armor against PROTECT-IP, they could easily be against us but our interests coincide