As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I'm assuming you go to BotCon.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    never been! only turned 18 this year, might go someday if i have some buddies that'd come with and it isn't too expensive.

edited December 2011
    Oh, yeah. That's how I want to spend my mornings. Being reminded that I'm Old Man Crimsondude.

Crimsondude on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Mike Costa pretty much proved he doesn't get Transformers there and was not the writer that should have been on the book.

Though I do agree the fanbase can be very hostile.

edited December 2011
    yeah, the transformers fanbase is full of fanatics, myself included

Costa still wasn't particularly great, even forgiving that

e: whoooops sorry CD :<

Antimatter on
    It's all good. I'm sure I just forgot that you're that much younger than me. One of the other freelancers is also a huge Transformers fan, and she does go to BotCon, and so I guess that's why I thought to ask.

I'd definitely love to go! They have tons of neat and interesting things over at the various Botcons, but between the cost of tickets, how far away it is, and how much souvenir stuff is, it just isn't feasible right now.

edited December 2011
    Oh, yeah. England.

/Hits China. Keeps digging.

Crimsondude on
    I'm in Michigan, and this year is Texas

last year was Disney in Florida, I think

• mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    I went to BotCon 2000. I was about 15 at the time and had a blast. I remember there was some sort of raffle you could buy tickets for to be part of a trivia game on Saturday night. I bought $10 worth of tickets thinking, "Eh, what the hell?"

My name was chosen as one of the contestants. I ALMOST got to the tier of questions where I would've won a $100 credit to use anywhere in the dealer hall. The question I got was, "How many instrumental tracks were on the '86 movie soundtrack?" I jumped the gun and didn't pay attention to the word "instrumental," so I gave the total number of tracks. Grrr....

The absolute best thing was that they managed to get a local theater to play the '86 movie. It was pretty sweet to see it on the big screen.

With a big enough con, the locals will do damn near anything for your business.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    What's the chance that Botcon 2013 will be in Portland or somewhere nearby for me? 1%? I can work with that ...

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Just read the Chaos epilogue last night. That sure was a thing, thank god we get the good stuff in about two weeks!

The Raphael one-shot I got as well was so much better.

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
    Death of Optimus Prime is next week

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What are the chances of Optimus being shot with a time gun and coming back in 6 months?

well
    in that preview you'd see that he thought he died but woke up three weeks later
    however

the last issue of the ongoing revealed that Prime and Megatron have been gone from cybertronian civilization for millions of years

so, chances are nil

I almost get the feeling he doesn't so much die as he steps aside or goes away. More of a symbolic nature then an actual death?

Maybe he fakes his death to live as someone else because of how some might perceived him?

Yeah I know, sounds stupid but I swear the whole blown apart death thing has been done a dozen times over, hell wasn't the record for him being dead like five minutes in one cartoon? I could see them going for something else here compared to what most might expect.

At least one of the cons who turned autobot isn't going to say Decepticons forever before putting a laser through his head right?

Cade wrote:
    I almost get the feeling he doesn't so much die as he steps aside or goes away. More of a symbolic nature then an actual death?
    John Butler and James Roberts have all but confirmed this

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yep, that's what happened
    Prime goes into exile, because he sees himself as the cause for all the fighting. So he splits the matrix and gives half to Bumblebee and the other to Rodimus

very nice and symbolic. I'm glad the matrix's power was already drained to save the planet, else that'd be less symbolic and more catastrophic.

Alex Milne, the artist for More Than Meets The Eye #2 and onwards, released character art of TRAILBREAKER
    Nluj2.jpg
    Alex wrote:
    since this guy appears on the cover issue 3, i thought it would be nice to show off the design here. a little bit of a Christmas present from me
    with MTMTE i've gone with a combo of WFC and TF Prime designs.
    probably right now Trailbreaker is my favourite design i've come up with. well my fav for what i can show you right now
    enjoy

I though Roche was on MtMtE? What the hell IDW if they dropped him from either book.

edited December 2011
    Fantastic design for him!

He looks damn great.

I remember a friend had Trailbreaker as a toy, another friend tried to grab it from me, pulled and ripped his legs off.

Dude stole my yellow M.A.S.K. action figure too.

Yeah the guy was a jerk.

Cade on
    Reigner wrote:
    I though Roche was on MtMtE? What the hell IDW if they dropped him from either book.

IDW didn't drop him, but he has more work than he can handle at once. He went off of MtMtE to do other things, Alex Milne is doing the book. HOWEVER, Roberts and Butler did say that the artists would rotate over time. We very well could get Roche back later.

edited December 2011
    okay

what the slag is going on
    lineart to MTMTE #1
    MTMTE-_1-Cover-Lo-Res_1324909106.jpg
    I see Cyclonus, Ultra Magnus, Drift, Chromedome, Rung, Whirl, Eject or Rewind, Ratchet, and Red Alert

looks like Roddy's crew is huge

Antimatter on
    Guessing it's "Arcee night", especially with how Roddy there is smirking.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    it

it's an homage to
    Justice_League_1_DC_1987.jpg

gah you are creepy

CYpGAPn.png
    edited December 2011
    I kinda wish Cyclonus was in Batman's spot now, even though Magnus works, heh

I honestly forgot about that cover, that's great

Antimatter on
    I always liked Cyclonus, he was the loyal guy to Galvatron even when the guy was bat crazy in the cartoons plus he's got a look that I think works very well.

Now...the last time I remember him being around wasn't he and a few others stuck to the dead zone or that place where the dead reigned? I forget the details exactly but couldn't they leave for more then a short period before just dying? The up part being no matter how much they were shot up they'd just "fix" themselves, basically they were zombie robots. Didn't they even have a death touch or something. Like I said I'm forgetting the details here, but overall I thought it was a pretty cool concept with what they were being made to be. Especially since they were not Decepticons at all.

Until they came back and suddenly they were or something? I heard people complaining about that.

Cyclonus though I could see due to his origin in this comic book universe working with the Autobots easily enough unless they changed his back ground/purpose greatly.

last we saw Cyclonus
    he was captured with the Decepticons, shouting out that he didn't belong there. before that, he fought Galvatron, who was being manipulated into doing something that would destroy Cybertron. Galvatron ended up vaporized. Abnett and Lanning kept calling Galvatron and his crew Decepticons in Infestation and Heart of Darkness, even though they definitely weren't that. This error ended up continuing into Chaos, but Roberts and Butler made fun of the error in Death of Optimus Prime.

There's not nearly enough Hound on that cover.

But I do like that we're getting a book that has more fringe characters in it. Chromedome, Whirl, Eject/Rewind, and I dont even know what a Rung is!

Who's the guy that looks like Shockwaves cousin up there, it's been bugging me I don't know.

edited December 2011
    Whirl, Cade. @Reigner, Rung is a character that James Roberts made.

Antimatter on
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    I will defnitly be picking up MTMTE #1. I've aways had a soft spot for Roddy and the season 3 bots, pus it features alot of lesser known bots, and a creative team I like. I would love to see Rodimus finally grow up and become a good seasoned leader (instead of constantly being portrayed as incompetent because he's not Optimus by rabid GEEWUNS) I hope we get to see that happen here. As for ROD, I my pass on that one for awhile, truthfully, I think i've had my fill of season 1&2 for now.

you know, I didn't even think of the split between Hot Rod with season 3 and underused bots in MTMTE versus famous Season 1 and 2 bots in RID

that's interesting! I do want to get both because both writers get the brand, are enthusiastic about it, and they'll cross over a bit.

I definitely think it's a good move that they're moving away from Optimus, like so many others I love the big red bot but for the most part the Autobots seem to all about Optimus. If you got him around he's like a black hole that sucks up the focus, even if he's not around but you know you'll see him soon it's still sort of the same and no one gets to really shine.

The decepticons had this problem to a lesser extant with Megatron.

Exactly! Furman's run (bless his soul for trying his hardest to do something different) didn't bring in Optimus for some time for just that reason! You know what we got from that? We saw the Autobot crew actually doing things, and the first Decepticons we met were Runamuck and Runabout for god's sake. Of course, he did have to bring in Prime sooner or later, and eventually he got more and more facetime.

TF_MTMTEcov01.jpg
    the colored cover to MTMTE #1

• MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    I definitely think it's a good move that they're moving away from Optimus, like so many others I love the big red bot but for the most part the Autobots seem to all about Optimus. If you got him around he's like a black hole that sucks up the focus, even if he's not around but you know you'll see him soon it's still sort of the same and no one gets to really shine.

The decepticons had this problem to a lesser extant with Megatron.

That's the real problem with Transformers nowadays. The season 1&2 bots were great whent hey were the FOUNDATION of the transformers. They were something to build on an improve, something which the Japanese creators understood very well, until they too were sucked into the Optimus-mire in later years. The problem is that the modern rebirth of the series was initiated in part by those fans called Geewuns, worshippers of the season 1&2 bots, but primarily worshippers of Optimus Prime.

Season 1&2 has become less of a foundation in recent years and more of a black hole, sucking in everything that does not have to do with them. In a way i'm glad that series like Headmasters, Victory, and Masterforce never made it over to America. Rodimus always got the short end of the stick, who knows what the Geewuns would have done to Star Saber and Ginrei (Oh lord, would Ginrei get it).