As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There Will Be [chat]

• DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    that seems awfully simplistic, daxon

can there be bad homecooked meals

the homecooked and good restaurant food category has a massive diversity of quality! All the distinctions come there.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:
    Also I was in the shop getting some stuff and the smug dripping off the Daily Mail was urgh

What the shit are they up to now?
    I've been crunching a fair bit so I haven't had time for current events.

"THE DAY HE [David Cameron] STOOD UP FOR BRITAIN".

*headdesk*

I knew I was only going to regret asking that question...

sig.gif
    oh god

Glee Club is a disease

and Community has caught it :(

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    You know what would make an interesting point in a sci-fi story? Two vast interstellar empires that, due to the vast distances of space, have never met each other, but occupy the same part of space, like they're practically interlaced on each other.

HerrCron wrote:
    HerrCron wrote:
    Also I was in the shop getting some stuff and the smug dripping off the Daily Mail was urgh

*headdesk*

Right now I'd take the Daily Mail getting moist over something I've done as a sign of personal shame.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:

RAR!

Hurrah for the Blackshirts!

..wait

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    okay super nausea

Happy Holidays is just a terrible phrase

"boo hoo we need to be inclusive"

people who care about other people saying merry christmas are bad people.

HerrCron wrote:
    HerrCron wrote:

*headdesk*

Right now I'd take the Daily Mail getting moist over something I've done as a sign of personal shame.

Heh, reminds me of story of when Glen Beck was getting all dewy over Muse and how they "got it" at which point the band manager of Muse email the show and asked him to "retract his endorsement".

Guess there really is a such a thing as bad publicity.

sig.gif
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    This year, I will be wishing everyone a solemn and dignified Zarathust No Diso

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:

Pretty much. Although I'm not sure anybody actually does, I think it's just American Christians wanting to be a persecuted minority so they invented sleights.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    man

i think i want to watch ben 10

but that would require watching countless episodes to get up to speed.

why the hell am i a child.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    man

Countless episodes? He has a magic watch that turns him into aliens with superpowers and fights bad guys with it. It never struck me as being particularly continuity heavy.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    man

Countless episodes? He has a magic watch that turns him into aliens with superpowers and fights bad guys with it. It never struck me as being particularly continuity heavy.

I've been catching episodes of Ben 10 Ultimate Alien as I go about my morning routine and it turns out that the show actually has some depth to it.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:

Nobody has ever criticized another person for saying "Merry Christmas," except of course for the Puritans.

People get criticized for saying "Happy Holidays," though, so really the problem is that people care about other people trying to be inclusive.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:

WAR ON CHRISTMAS!

Happy holidays, one and all!

sig.gif
    Daxon wrote:

Nobody has ever criticized another person for saying "Merry Christmas," except of course for the Puritans.

People get criticized for saying "Happy Holidays," though, so really the problem is that people care about other people trying to be inclusive.

if nobody ever criticised someone else for saying merry christmas then happy holidays would not exist.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Christians like to feel marginalized and persecuted

• thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    oh god still drunk and now getting hungover

I drank a lot last night, then I biked home.

perhaps not the wisest of plans

You in your residency yet? Go get you a saline IV and hydrate! :)

a) what you really want is a banana bag.

b) I'm not

c) the nurses and pretty much everyone would see that as utterly unacceptable and hate me. Which is understandable. Because it is.

edit: though it's the hate of the nurses that really scares me. I want all the nurses to utterly adore me.

I've been given a saline IV for a hangover before. Being capable of giving that kind of relief and refusing is nothing short of a violation of the Hippocratic oath.

Christians like to feel marginalized and persecuted

Instilling a persecution complex in a group of people is a great way to make them feel validated and galvanize camaraderie. Cults do it a lot.

Man, I dunno if I'm sold on the reduction of MPs. Yes, they're basing everything on making sure between 72,000 and 80,000 voters reside in each constituency, but possible potential for Gerrymandering aside, it looks like England may be able to ride roughshot over the other three countries more than they already do, although that can't be helped because of their ginormous population compared to the others. I'm glad I have some representation at a more regional level.

Daxon wrote:
    Daxon wrote:
    oh god still drunk and now getting hungover

I drank a lot last night, then I biked home.

perhaps not the wisest of plans

You in your residency yet? Go get you a saline IV and hydrate! :)

a) what you really want is a banana bag.

b) I'm not

c) the nurses and pretty much everyone would see that as utterly unacceptable and hate me. Which is understandable. Because it is.

edit: though it's the hate of the nurses that really scares me. I want all the nurses to utterly adore me.

I've been given a saline IV for a hangover before. Being capable of giving that kind of relief and refusing is nothing short of a violation of the Hippocratic oath.

doctors don't take the hippocratic oath any more. if they do (considering it's voluntary) then it's super modified from the original (so what's the point?)

there's really no reason to give saline for just a hangover.

In fact I'd probably go so far as to say it's negligent to give saline for simply a hangover.

Why, exactly? Because of the possible complications that arise from doing it? Aren't they unlikely enough to be considered non-existent if you know what you are doing and take all the necessary precautions, eg use a sterile needle, bag and line, bleed the line of air before insertion do not be incompetent enough to stick an artery?

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    We are watching The Wicker Man remake.

This movie has a lot of pointless scenes.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Daxon wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

if nobody ever criticised someone else for saying merry christmas then happy holidays would not exist.

So you think that the only reason anyone would need to acknowledge multiple holidays at once is because people have criticized "Merry Christmas?"

I think that's a pretty idiotic thing to say in a multicultural society, especially when you consider that members of various minority groups will always default to "Happy Holidays" because they don't personally celebrate Christmas.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I can't see an upside of this, it really seems to be "Government pretends this was the plan all along after Cameron behaves like a dick in talks"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Why, exactly? Because of the possible complications that arise from doing it? Aren't they unlikely enough to be considered non-existent if you know what you are doing and take all the necessary precautions, eg use a sterile needle, bag and line, bleed the line of air before insertion do not be incompetent enough to stick an artery?

because all treatment has side effects and possible complications.

so you never treat if it is unnecessary, as doing so invites the possibility of these side effects and complications occurring whereas doing nothing has no risk.

The risk of complications of treatment versus no treatment is infinitely higher.

Daxon wrote:

so you never treat if it is unnecessary, as doing so invites the possibility of these side effects and complications occurring whereas doing nothing has no risk.

The risk of complications of treatment versus no treatment is infinitely higher.

Doesn't that logic effectively make all analgesia "negligent"?

Apothe0sis wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

sig.gif
    Daxon wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

So you think that the only reason anyone would need to acknowledge multiple holidays at once is because people have criticized "Merry Christmas?"

I think that's a pretty idiotic thing to say in a multicultural society, especially when you consider that members of various minority groups will always default to "Happy Holidays" because they don't personally celebrate Christmas.

it really isn't a secret what's actually being celebrated and why all those decorations are going up

so why pretend that there's even a possibility of the entire reason you wrote the sign and have a christmas tree in your shop is that you're prepping for anything but christmas?

Christmas is a western cultural phenomenon, it's about as religious as a lobster.

Daxon wrote:

pain is terrible and relief is quite often necessary. Why would it be negligent?

Daxon wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

pain is terrible and relief is quite often necessary. Why would it be negligent?

That's kind of what I'm saying.

Daxon wrote:
    Daxon wrote:

That's kind of what I'm saying.

saline for a hangover is not for pain relief. It is to rehydrate you, if you're awake and feeling a bit shitty just take some paracetamol or something

Getting a drip when it's unnecessary is several steps above a largely harmless pill.

edited December 2011
    In the US military IV's are part of basic first aid training and IV kits are standard issue with first aid kits. Binge drinking also happens to be a part of the enlisted culture for us. This lead to me witnessing scores, maybe hundreds of IV's given in barracks rooms by people with minimal or no medical credentials.

The worst thing that ever resulted from any of them was a bruise from an infiltrated vein.

e: Yes and for many, but not all people, the immediate rehydration results in substantial relief of the symptoms of a hangover.

thehumandignity on
    it's not negligent if you're doing it to yourself.

I am of course talking about hospitals and the like where most drips are given.

not in some binge drinking culture which is rather gungho about personal safety in the first place.

Fair enough.

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6i2WRreARo

We aren't up to there yet. But those scenes look incredible, as in WTF IS HAPPENING incredible. Well, incredibly bad. When he mad kicks Deep Impact I laughed so hard my eyes watered.

Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    I can't see an upside of this, it really seems to be "Government pretends this was the plan all along after Cameron behaves like a dick in talks"

The only way I see his actions looking good if if the Eurozone completely implodes, and I suspect this isn't very likely.

This discussion has been closed.