As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Thread: Where’s my hog?!

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Dear god, I just made the critical mistake of checking Smash Boards to see what they were saying and I found this:
    button configureations!!! WTF

well cant wait to go to tournamntes and hear "the triger smash wiimote configureation is banned"

i seriously hope they dont run brawl in to the ground

Is there no limit to the stupid shit these guys will cry about?

no, because I could honestly see tournaments having stupid rules like that.

Ssssh! Zip it. You don't want those people in here again, mucking up the thread again.

They came in to a Smash thread?

This one or another one?

yalborap on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Dear god, I just made the critical mistake of checking Smash Boards to see what they were saying and I found this:

well cant wait to go to tournamntes and hear "the triger smash wiimote configureation is banned"

Ssssh! Zip it. You don't want those people in here again, mucking up the thread again.

This one or another one?

This one, the other one was made because of said bitching. Seriously. Just start talking about tiers, l-canceling, wavedashing, or actually playing the game with items on and they'll show up. They always walk in single file to mask their numbers.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    anyway,

*puts sunglasses on*

davidcaruso.jpg

I applied some magic image saving technology (aka Paint.NET) to the image. DDoes this look like decipherable japanese text to anyone?

csi_smash.png

FyreWulff on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It looks like blurred jibberish to me.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    i'm guessing the original shot is cropped from the entire image (i don't think he'd make the selection tiles THAT small) so what I think we're seeing blurred is the name text of one of the fighters.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2007

This one or another one?

This one, the other one was made because of said bitching. Seriously. Just start talking about tiers, l-canceling, wavedashing, or actually playing the game with items on and they'll show up. They always walk in single file to mask their numbers.

Well then, towards the beginning of the thread I go. I do so love chaos.

yalborap on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    skeldare wrote: »
    People have names that are less than 4 letters?
    Yes, actually.

This has given me a great amount of joy over my videogaming years. Forget about that "enter your initials" crap, I just put down my name.

WotanAnubis on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Conn wrote: »
    But to be fair, if we get any Capcom character, it's most likely Megaman.

cough Phoenix Wright cough

Man that wouldn't work at all

Dude's a lawyer and it's well established that he's a pansy

he'd be a trophy at best

If PEACH can get a spot in the game and a good moveset, then why not PW? Quite frankly I'd rather have him in the game than either Mega Man or Sonic.

You mean it'd make more sense to put a lawyer in this fighting game than a fighting robot?

You mean it'd make more sense to put a fluffy singing balloon in this fighting game than a lawyer?

Yes. Christ what is so hard about this?

Because we're talking about Super Smash Brothers, a game renowned for it's wackiness. "It wouldn't make sense" is NEVER a valid reason to write off a character or item as being possible.

Unless it's like "it wouldn't make sense for them to pick x over y." That's a valid argument.
    What other smash character have we seen that has absolutely no method of attacking anyone whatsoever?

TheySlashThem on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What other smash character have we seen that has absolutely no method of attacking anyone whatsoever?
    Dr. Mario. OK, sure, if all his opponents were viruses, then yes, his pills would do something. However, against, for example, that genocidal chick in the Chozo battlearmour he wouldn't stand a chance.

Besides, how does Phoenix not have methods of attack? That dude can make someone get struck by lightning simply by talking.

WotanAnubis on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The text does vaguely look like some Katakana characters. へ ス フ (or ブ) ニ ト maybe. (He Su Fu/Bu Ni To), but that is just nonsense.

mntorankusu on
  • Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I'd typically think Smash tourneys are silly, but I'm all for them in this case.

It gives all the loonies a place to congregate while all the sane folk just play online.

Blitz Rawket on
    edited June 2007
    Phoenix could stun his foes every time you scream Objection! or Take That! or Hold it! into a special microphone.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited June 2007

I'd typically think Smash tourneys are silly, but I'm all for them in this case.

It gives all the loonies a place to congregate while all the sane folk just play online.

Assuming the online happens.

yalborap on
    edited June 2007

Assuming the online happens.
    They said months and months ago that they at least got one-on-one working, so I'm sure we'll get online to some capacity.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If we have more fire emblem characters, I'd want Hector or Lyn. Lyn because since she uses a smaller blade and has a different fighting style it would be a new experience compared to Marth and Roy and Hector because he is HECTOR AXE KING OF THE DEAD>

Bloods End on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They said months and months ago that they at least got one-on-one working, so I'm sure we'll get online to some capacity.
    Sakurai said something to the effect of, he'd like to include online versus play, but due to limitations it might be restricted to two players. I don't think he ever said they already had it going.

mntorankusu on
    edited June 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    If we have more fire emblem characters, I'd want Hector or Lyn. Lyn because since she uses a smaller blade and has a different fighting style it would be a new experience compared to Marth and Roy and Hector because he is HECTOR AXE KING OF THE DEAD>
    Roy was only really in Melee because he was the "current" FE protagonist of that era, so he'll probably get replaced with Ike or somebody.

Blitz Rawket on
    edited June 2007
    Sakurai said something to the effect of, he'd like to include online versus play, but due to limitations it might be restricted to two players. I don't think he ever said they already had it going.

Well, that's a shame(I do far better in team-based stuff than 1-on-1), but hell, I'll take what I can get.

yalborap on
    edited June 2007

Well, that's a shame(I do far better in team-based stuff than 1-on-1), but hell, I'll take what I can get.
    This was a while ago, probably not even very long after development started. News like this doesn't stay relevant for long. They could have had magical 8-player wifi play with no lag going for a year now, and we wouldn't know a thing.

So, I'm holding out hope!

mntorankusu on
    edited June 2007
    If there's online multiplayer, it won't be just 1vs1. That's a given.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Sonic and Mega Man seem to be the most likely third-party characters.

But oh man I'd rather have Simon Belmont.

But if Sonic's in there, we'll know who's the fastest between him and Mario before the Olympics! D:

Not with their limping, we won't. :lol:
    Of all the third-party characters to choose from, a lawyer from a niche point and click adventure is uh, pretty low on the list

Edit: And I say this as a complete Phoenix Wright whore

I agree. Cool as it'd be, I can't see it as anything except THE most pandering of fanservice novelties of the sort Mr. Game & Watch could only DREAM of after a night of meth and hard liquor.
    Honestly, I think half the reason I'd like Simon Belmont in the game is the--as must inevitably follow--presence of Castlevania music in the game

fuck yes

You make a compelling point.

If nothing else, I guess there's always Dream World TV Mix or whatever it was called.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It could potentially be like strikers. Only two wii's can connect but more than one person can play on a wii.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited June 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

It could potentially be like strikers. Only two wii's can connect but more than one person can play on a wii.

That'd be pretty reasonable, I think. Getting 4 players often can be kinda tricky, but just finding one other guy isn't too hard.

yalborap on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

hey! i compete actively in smash tourneys....:(

Guek on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Captain Falcon races.
    Someone link that Falcon Intergalactic Facemelting Punch thing again.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • LeoDudeLeoDude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What about those of us with names longer than 4 letters aaargh

Being of 3 lettered name, I am can enter my full name whenever a game asks for initials.

Its quite a perk.

LeoDude on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LeoDude wrote: »

Being of 3 lettered name, I am can enter my full name whenever a game asks for initials.

Its quite a perk.

I have a three letter name as well, but for others such a tight character limit is obnoxious.

I have a younger sister named Maggie. She thought Smooth Moves looked like fun, and wanted a file. We could only fit "Maggi," So we went with "Mag." That's probably the most ridiculous character limit ever.

Jimothy on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Captain Falcon races.

Pretty sure that came after he was in smash bros.

Also why the hell do some of you find the need to slam competitive players at any given opportunity? That's completely unnecessary and pretty damn dickish.

Speed Racer on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    Captain Falcon races.

Pretty sure that came after he was in smash bros.

Also why the hell do some of you find the need to slam competitive players at any given opportunity? That's completely unnecessary and pretty damn dickish.

I'll slam them... online... at SSBB... bitch!

Djiem on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    LeoDude wrote: »

Its quite a perk.

I have a three letter name as well, but for others such a tight character limit is obnoxious.

I have a younger sister named Maggie. She thought Smooth Moves looked like fun, and wanted a file. We could only fit "Maggi," So we went with "Mag." That's probably the most ridiculous character limit ever.

Mag E

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ZZS would only have come up as resonable if Zero Mission had been released early last year.

ZZS? Zero Zoot Samus?

Renzo on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Holy crap. Four controller types, AND customizable button configurations... wow. Options on top of options. Makes me think the actual game will have tons and tons and tons of stuff if they're going this far.

But yeah, even if you're not slamming them it's not too much of a stretch to think that certain control options will be banned for tournaments.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Control schemes will not be banned at tournaments. There were some people who were crazy enough to modify their GameCube controllers so that the L button is easier to hit quickly in order to make consistant power-shielding possible, and even that wasn't banned in tournaments.

AshtonDragon on
    edited June 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    ZZS would only have come up as resonable if Zero Mission had been released early last year.

ZZS? Zero Zoot Samus?

I suddenly want to see Samus in a Zoot Suit.

yalborap on
    edited June 2007

ZZS? Zero Zoot Samus?

Hah! This is why people shouldn't post late at night. Yes, Zero Zoot Samus CONFIRMED for Brawl.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

ZZS? Zero Zoot Samus?

Hah! This is why people shouldn't post late at night. Yes, Zero Zoot Samus CONFIRMED for Brawl.

RIOT!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited June 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »

ZZS? Zero Zoot Samus?

RIOT!

THROW BACK A BOTTLE OF BEER!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I had know what my comment would yield, I would not have posted.

Renzo on
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Grape fruit diet! DIET!

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wouldn't Zero Zoot Samus not be wearing a Zoot Suit?

jothki on