As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moment of the Week - 6/27/07

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    beeweapon.jpg

Of all the comics I'm not reading, I'm reading Amazon Attacks the least.
    Is this frame supposed to be serious, or is it some kind of Adam West tribute?

Orogogus on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    beeweapon.jpg

This makes me want that comic.

I mean, my God. Bees.

Mr Pink on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    beeweapon.jpg

Is this frame supposed to be serious, or is it some kind of Adam West tribute?

An Adam West tribute would require emotive chalk eyebrows on the Batman mask, to help indicate just how grim this business truly is.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • sushijerksushijerk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »
    shit, i just read thunderbolts
    bullseye got fucked up. fucking american eagle, man
    eagle01.jpg
    eagle02.jpg
    eagle03.jpg

Am I the only person who finds stuff like this extremely lame? Like having new characters/unknowns inexplicably effortlessly take down a known badass just so the writer can score the character some quick points?

I can understand if he suckered punched Bullseye, but now apparently Daredevil is a pussy? So are all the NYC based heroes? Bullseye killed Electra, and is nothing to this guy because he has "powers"?

This is just like the in 90s when the first thing any noname JLA villain did was kick the crap out of Green Lantern, just so he can be established as a threat. Seems like boring, lazy writing to me.

sushijerk on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    sushijerk wrote: »
    eagle01.jpg
    eagle02.jpg
    eagle03.jpg

Am I the only person who finds stuff like this extremely lame? Like having new characters/unknowns inexplicably effortlessly take down a known badass just so the writer can score the character some quick points?

I can understand if he suckered punched Bullseye, but now apparently Daredevil is a pussy? So are all the NYC based heroes? Bullseye killed Electra, and is nothing to this guy because he has "powers"?

This is just like the in 90s when the first thing any noname JLA villain did was kick the crap out of Green Lantern, just so he can be established as a threat. Seems like boring, lazy writing to me.

While Daredevil and Elektra may be some of the best fighters ever, American Eagle has super strength and super reflexes. Did you miss the part where he punched Bullseye so hard it snapped his neck? There's not much Bullseye could have done there.

Mai-Kero on
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did you miss the part where he punched Bullseye so hard it snapped his neck? There's not much Bullseye could have done there.

Yeahbuhwhat?

Skullo on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Skullo wrote: »
    Did you miss the part where he punched Bullseye so hard it snapped his neck? There's not much Bullseye could have done there.

Yeahbuhwhat?
    The dude has superpowers. He's stronger than Bulls, faster than Bulls and can take most of what Bullseye can dish out.

So yeah, Bullseye was fucked from the get-go.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    It was more of a response to the whole, you know, NECK SNAPPING.

Does that not imply death? Because I'm pretty sure when your neck is snapped, you are dead.

Unless his adamantium skeleton negates that somehow.

Skullo on
    edited June 2007
    It was more of a response to the whole, you know, NECK SNAPPING.

Does that not imply death? Because I'm pretty sure when your neck is snapped, you are dead.

Unless his adamantium skeleton negates that somehow.

Unless he's a Skrullo, Skullo.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    I doubt the neck snapping killed Bullseye. Maybe it crippled him in a glorious display of irony.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Gah, what did they do, have a blue light special at Skrull-mart this month?

But seriously. I'm not reading thunderbolts. What the hell is going on?

Skullo on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I doubt the neck snapping killed Bullseye. Maybe it crippled him in a glorious display of irony.
    Again?

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007

Yeahbuhwhat?

Skullo on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Only in movies. It's not as fatal as popular culture usually portrays it.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't forget
    He was being tasered in his brain at pretty much the same time.

But they stitched him up back at Thunderbolt HQ afterwards. He may never wake up or walk again, but he's still alive.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited June 2007
    Whoa why did my post show up twice, and not right next to the old one?

Skullo on
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Again?
    Yes, but this time he really deserved it. I hope Jack Flagg and him have a cripple fight and Jack Flagg kicks his ass.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Yeahbuhwhat?
    The dude has superpowers. He's stronger than Bulls, faster than Bulls and can take most of what Bullseye can dish out.

So yeah, Bullseye was fucked from the get-go.

so a lot like spidey, right? doesn't bulls fight spidey all the time?

then again, pete almost always holds back

Guek on
    edited June 2007
    I don't remember Bullseye ever fighting Spider-Man.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've never heard of this "American Eagle" dude before, and I can't say I'm impressed. Based just on that scan of him fighting Bullseye he's just a patriotic american inspired (most likely) by the movie "Easy Rider."

Fucking lame. I assume theres a bunch more to him and that once I've learned the backstory I'll be a little happier but I have to throw in my vote with the "this is lazy writing and a BS way to pump up a new character" camp.

Caveman Paws on
    edited June 2007
    edited June 2007
    Ellis isn't creating any new characters. He's just taking old ones and pretending the actual qualities of the characters, rather than their relative popularity, determines how effective they are.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    You havent even been reading it at all, have you? He's been in the last several issues of T-bolts, and been around since the 90s.

Synthetic Orange on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    X-Factor was pretty fucking amazing this month.
    Rictor better not die. :/

I enjoyed X-Factor a lot as well.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Don't forget
    He was being tasered in his brain at pretty much the same time.

But they stitched him up back at Thunderbolt HQ afterwards. He may never wake up or walk again, but he's still alive.

Wait
    So Songbird didn't really disable his nanites? Awesome.

I may have to pick up Thunderbolts now.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited June 2007
    I'm curious about what happened in Ultimate X-Men, She-Hulk, Black Panther, and Countdown. Anyone?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm curious about what happened in Ultimate X-Men
    The old X-Men (Scott, Jean, Bobby, and Rogue) went after Toad in the Morlock lair. There was a fight. They all got out, Nightcrawler was made the leader of the Morlocks. When they got back to the mansion, Psylocke was there.

Bishop went to try to recruit Colossus (who is working on a construction crew) to his new X-Men team. Colossus turned him down, citing too much violence in his past and too much Northstar lovin' in his future. Dazzler got Angel to join the team which pissed Bishop off 'cause Angel isn't part of his plan. Bishop says there's one mutant left for his plan but he doesn't know where she is.

Jean is still going crazy.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ellis isn't creating any new characters. He's just taking old ones and pretending the actual qualities of the characters, rather than their relative popularity, determines how effective they are.

pfft what a maroon.. everyone knows a character's relative popularity is the REAL in-universe determinant of their effectiveness in a fight. :P

Thunderbolts was awesome.. but I think Iron Fist is the MOTW for me. Just fantastic all around. I'm even more pumped for book two. (Does August Personage in Jade sound like a DC Chinese superteam character to anyone else?)

valiance on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I'm curious about what happened in Ultimate X-Men
    The old X-Men (Scott, Jean, Bobby, and Rogue) went after Toad in the Morlock lair. There was a fight. They all got out, Nightcrawler was made the leader of the Morlocks. When they got back to the mansion, Psylocke was there.

Bishop went to try to recruit Colossus (who is working on a construction crew) to his new X-Men team. Colossus turned him down, citing too much violence in his past and too much Northstar lovin' in his future. Dazzler got Angel to join the team which pissed Bishop off 'cause Angel isn't part of his plan. Bishop says there's one mutant left for his plan but he doesn't know where she is.

Jean is still going crazy.
    I think it's also hinted that Psylock is supposed to be the last person on Bishop's team.

Also, I think Warren is supposed to die.

Transporter on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    eagle01.jpg
    eagle02.jpg
    eagle03.jpg

Yeah, or in the 60s when a new villain was introduced, and the hero couldn't beat him because he was always more powerful. Or in the 40's...

Dex Dynamo on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guys, he was pointing out that Bullseye was a pussy for picking on non-powerd peoples.

Which he is.

Fuck, he tried to cheapshot American Eagle, and thought he could get away with it since hey, no one has heard of him, he's a nobody. Probably a non-powered nobody.

Turns out he wasn't.

Transporter on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm curious about what happened in [...] Countdown. Anyone?
    -Jimmy Olsen, trying to figure out what is going on with the powers he keeps having, goes to Suicide Slum and picks a fight with a street gang. He gets decked hard and nothing happens, but once the goons move in and Jimmy starts to freak ... needle shooting powers!

-Holly Robinson sets up in a woman's shelter ... which is apparently made up of Amazons?

-Mary Marvel meets Billy/Marvel (I guess this is where the lightning bolt took her.) Marvel tells mary the current situation, with Billy taking the place of the wizard, and Freddie are the path to becoming the new Captain Marvel. Marvel mentions that maybe Mary isn't meant to have powers anymore, which pisses Mary off. Now upset, Mary takes off vowing to fight with whatever powers she has.

-Monarch approaches Forerunner. Promises to help her to her full potential and glory, and takes her under his wing.

-Piper and Trickster freak out, scared of becoming lunch for the heroes as word of the Flash gets out.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    2000546704543199030_rs.jpg

I'ts been kinda bugging me, since I'm not up to speed on the -entire- Marvel Universe anymore, who are most of those villains?

I note Apocalypse, Sinister, Doom, and I think M.O.D.O.K.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The grinning guy next to Doom is Mojo, I'm pretty sure.

One Thousand Cables on
    edited June 2007
    Pandemic, MODOK, Kavita Rao, Mojo, Sugar Man, Mister Sinister, High Evolutionary, Arnim Zola, and Doctor Doom.

Modok, Zola and Sugar Man are all notable as being highly accomplished scientists, evil, and having heads for chests.

Synthetic Orange on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ah ok, I thought one of them might be Sugar Man, but I was pretty sure he was dead.

Not like death really matters anymore :D

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • sushijerksushijerk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guys, he was pointing out that Bullseye was a pussy for picking on non-powerd peoples.

Which he is.

Fuck, he tried to cheapshot American Eagle, and thought he could get away with it since hey, no one has heard of him, he's a nobody. Probably a non-powered nobody.

Turns out he wasn't.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Bullseye doesn't have any "powers", so he's a pussy for not fighting people way out of his league? And guys like Daredevil/Punisher are nonpowered pushovers now? And if anything American Eagle was the one who cheap shotted Bullseye.

American Eagle comes off as a huge douche in this, and everything that comes out of his mouth is pure retarded. NYC heroes are a bunch of pampered softies? I guess FF, Spidey, DD, and all the iterations of the Avengers are a bunch of poofs next to him and whoever his hero friends from Phoenix happen to be.

sushijerk on
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Which he is.

Turns out he wasn't.

This doesn't make any sense at all. Bullseye doesn't have any "powers", so he's a pussy for not fighting people way out of his league? And guys like Daredevil/Punisher are nonpowered pushovers now? And if anything American Eagle was the one who cheap shotted Bullseye.

American Eagle comes off as a huge douche in this, and everything that comes out of his mouth is pure retarded. NYC heroes are a bunch of pampered softies? I guess FF, Spidey, DD, and all the iterations of the Avengers are a bunch of poofs next to him and whoever his hero friends from Phoenix happen to be.

Is there some problem with American Eagle coming off as a douche? I thought that's what the writers were going for. I mean, who in the MU (that isn't a worthless hack) seriously disses Daredevil? I think he was just smacktalking to Bullseye. If the character really thinks the "New York City Heroes" are all a bunch of softies, then he's being written to be a complete idiot.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Reigner wrote: »
    Ah ok, I thought one of them might be Sugar Man, but I was pretty sure he was dead.

He was killed pretty conclusively in Claremont's Excalibur. It might just be an artistic slip: the script said 'there's a bunch of supervillains on the computer screens (Doom, MODOK, etc)' and the guy just didn't know Sugarman was dead. But yeah, probably just them not caring and saying 'screw it, who'll care?'.

Bogart on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Which he is.

Turns out he wasn't.

Bullseye has an adamantium-laced skeleton and the ability to turn any weapon into a deadly thrown object. He has superpowers.

I don't think American Eagle came off as a douche because he was fighting Bullseye. He's like the third worst villain on the planet after Purple Man and Osborne for the amount of fucked up shit he's done.

Mai-Kero on