As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spike VGA 2011 Nominees Announced (Getting better, but it's still Spike VGA)

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow. So... No More Heroes metal gear?

The swordplay was a bit over the top for my tastes, and Ray.. why did they have to treat Ray so poorly?

But.. um.. yeah. Hm. That certainly just happened.

It's fun seeing everyone hop on Steam games in the last few minutes.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    So I guess the lesson we should all learn for next year, is do not watch the "show" at any cost, since everything will be more or less spoiled before hand, and the just watch the interesting trailers that night or the next day.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The comments about VGA on Twitter are hilarious.

• Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Kojima was so adorable.

And how much of that show was worth watching? Maybe ten minutes? We could put on a better awards show than that. In a week. With a budget of $100.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Sheen was pretty good, surprisingly. Was expecting more forced and awkward jokes but he did well. Then they teabag the Call of Duty guy. Though to be fair, its Activision so its deserved.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Levi kept the show from being as bad as last year's, but the nonstop skits and the 5 second award clips got really grating.

• -Bramble-Bramble Registered User regular
    I read some rumors online earlier this week. Rumors about some big reveal from valve (GUESS!).

And I just watched that whole fucking thing so I could catch said reveal.

And now I feel like a date rape victim.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote:
    Kojima was so adorable.

And how much of that show was worth watching? Maybe ten minutes? We could put on a better awards show than that. In a week. With a budget of $100.

Well, they gave out five awards on stage.

Arkham City, The Zelda hall of fame thing, Modern Warfare 3, Best character, Game of the Year.

Total awards, according to the site: 27

So, yeah, if you were to actually hand out the awards for WII/PS3/360 game of the year, along with all the others, that might actually improve the thing.

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    -Bramble wrote:
    I read some rumors online earlier this week. Rumors about some big reveal from valve (GUESS!).

Valve is far too savvy to do anything like that on the VGAs.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote:
    Igpx407 wrote:
    Kojima was so adorable.

Arkham City, The Zelda hall of fame thing, Modern Warfare 3, Best character, Game of the Year.

So, yeah, if you were to actually hand out the awards for WII/PS3/360 game of the year, along with all the others, that might actually improve the thing.

That show should be all about the awards with a few reveal trailers here and there to draw in the viewers. That's it. Put developers on stage instead of actors I don't care about. Less circus and more awards.

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote:
    Igpx407 wrote:
    Kojima was so adorable.

eh, even the big boy awards shows like emmies and oscars know that straight awards is dreadfully dull, that's why they pad it out with musical performances, high tech wizardry, and actors reading from a poor script.

So really it's not that far behind the pack.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    developers/publishers need to revolt and just band together to buy an hour of airtime somewhere and play their upcoming trailers for the year without all the bullshit

edited December 2011
    Taramoor wrote:
    Igpx407 wrote:
    Kojima was so adorable.

eh, even the big boy awards shows like emmies and oscars know that straight awards is dreadfully dull, that's why they pad it out with musical performances, high tech wizardry, and actors reading from a poor script.

So really it's not that far behind the pack.

The Academy Awards hands out half of their awards beforehand at the technical awards gala. They're still handed out in a professional setting at a highly formal dinner, it's just not televised.

The rest of the awards are still freaking handed out, and they let the people who win them speak even if they embarrass themselves. This "Video Game Awards" show had precious little to do with video games and they showed only about 1/6th of the actual Awards part. It was insulting.
    developers/publishers need to revolt and just band together to buy an hour of airtime somewhere and play their upcoming trailers for the year without all the bullshit

I think it's time we bring in the big guns to get a Video Game Award show with gravitas.

Summon... the Khoo.

Taramoor on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    No wonder Kojima can't tell a story.

Guy can't speak fluent English, so what?
    -Bramble wrote:

Valve is far too savvy to do anything like that on the VGAs.
    They showed a Portal 2 trailer last year...

And all the reveals were known beforehand, so you might've wanted to research it a bit beforehand. I even posted the list on page 2.
    Taramoor wrote:
    Igpx407 wrote:
    Kojima was so adorable.

Uncharted 3 as well. If they gave out all the awards seperately it would've taken up a lot more time that they otherwise gave to the shitty skits. Rocksteady, Bethesda and Naughty Dog would've ended up going up on stage all night but so what? It's an awards show.

My biggest complaint about the whole thing though, is the shitty celebrities. I'm fine with guys like Zach Levi and Seth Green but Charlie Sheen? Random UFC guys? Hulk 'lost 70% of everything in the divorce' Hogan? Don't care, don't want to see. It just comes off like a desperate scream for mainstream attention.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    PAX would be an excellent place for a people's choice video game awards. Well, if by People we mean "HARDCOOOOREEEE!!!"

(Still probably a better representative sample.)

Also, thanks Wikipedia!

Game of the Year The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Studio of the Year Bethesda Game Studios, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Character of the Year The Joker, Batman: Arkham City

Gamer God Blizzard Entertainment, creators of the Warcraft and Starcraft franchises.

Best Xbox 360 Game Batman: Arkham City

Best PS3 Game Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Best Wii Game The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Best PC Game Portal 2

Best Handheld/Mobile Game Super Mario 3D Land

Best Shooter Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Best Action Adventure Game Batman: Arkham City

Best RPG The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Best Multiplayer Portal 2

Best Individual Sports Game Fight Night Champion

Best Team Sports Game TBA

Best Driving Game Forza Motorsport 4

Best Fighting Game Mortal Kombat

Best Motion Game The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Best Independent Game Minecraft

Best Adapted Video Game Batman: Arkham City

Best Song in a Game "Setting Sail, Coming Home (End Theme)" by Darren Korb, Bastion

Best Original Score Bastion

Best Graphics Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception

Best Performance by a Human Male Stephen Merchant as Wheatley, Portal 2

Best Performance by a Human Female Ellen McLain as GLaDOS, Portal 2

Best Downloadable Game Bastion

Best DLC Portal 2 - Peer Review

Most Anticipated Game Mass Effect 3

GameTrailers.com Trailer of the Year Assassin's Creed: Revelations, E3 2011 Trailer

NFL Blitz Cover Athlete Ray Rice

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    No wonder Kojima can't tell a story.

Guy can't speak fluent English, so what?

Oh man, I messed it up. Can not go back to Japan...

So sorry, guess it's Seppuku for him!

Athenor wrote:
    PAX would be an excellent place for a people's choice video game awards. Well, if by People we mean "HARDCOOOOREEEE!!!"

That'd be interesting and probably much better than the VGAs but overall, it'd probably just be another silly awards thing. Though it's not televised, the Game Developers Choice Awards are the closest thing the videogame industry has to the Academy Awards. The BAFTA Game Awards aren't too bad either.

Oh, I'm well aware there are "Legitimate" award shows out there, and I'd love to see them get more recognition. I love following the hall of fame inductees they do.

It's just that PAX is one of the most positive portrayals of the gaming community out there, and it'd be nice if it had some kind of award show attached to it.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Eh, I think its nice that PAX doesn't have any big spectacles like an award show or tournament gaming.

Its nice to have something that is just there for people who enjoy playing games without the agendas or commercialization.

NNID: Rehab0
    You can have awards without agendas or commercialization. And PAX does have spectacles and tournaments. :)

But still, awards get a bad rap, so if I'm in the minority on this, so be it.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    The Last of Us looking like it could be interesting, I wasn't expecting any new announcements that would catch my attention like that.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Well, you know what I mean. They're not the kind of tournaments that fatal1ty douche would show up for.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    reVerse wrote:
    mastrius wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    Gametrailers on the Last of Us trailer: "Naughty Dog shocks the World as they announce a brand new title coming exclusively to PlayStation 3! "

Oh yeah I'm super shocked that Naughty Dog is making a PS3 exclusive.

Also, who didn't foresee it being a zombie game? I mean come on. A video game teaser about some kind of end of the world epidemic, of course it's going to be fucking zombies.

Um. No. I think the idea of the shocking part is that we had no clue it was Naughty Dog. Or at least I didn't. I didn't care too much about the game and then I saw Naughty Dog pop up and I jumped up and was instantly excited.

A successful developer makes yet another game.

Why, I had no clue.

What...what is this? Is this what cancer feels like?

It's perfectly acceptable to get excited by an IP on the grounds of the developer making it.

No one knew Naughty Dog was making this game. Considering their pedigree, and how many people were wondering/hoping what they would do beyond Uncharted, I'd say they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, zombies in games are played out.

You know what isn't so played out? Well written serious zombies in games.

Unlike Dead Island, I can look at this teaser and stay confident the final game will carry the same tone and feel.

And I dig the father/daughter (?) pairing, as I have with True Grit and Kick-Ass. I know for a full fact these two are going to have excellent banter, and with the darker setting, this could be a Last Guardian type deal where I wonder if they'll both make it out and I actually grow emotional over the possible outcomes.

I am stoked for this. It's instantly jumped to my most wanted list of 2012.

All thanks to that ND logo.

Anyway, this show was a bit more tolerable than last year, with the exception of:
    Absalon wrote:
    LOL BLACK GUYS ARE AGGRESSIVE WITH THEIR CUSSING AND IN-YOUR-FACE AMIRITE.

HAW HE SAID BUST A CAP IN THEY ASS LOL.

This. This was awful beyond comprehension.

I never heard of this guy, and I couldn't care less. This was another terrible skit where a "well educated white man" is getting verbally slammed by "angry black man".

I may not be either of those, but I couldn't help feel offended and ashamed. This was Soul Plane levels of bad.

I also felt bad for Kojima. Why do these shows insist on having him speak English?

"Your language is silly!"

I'm partially mixed on MGS Rising. On the one hand, I worry that Platinum is going all in and poised to outdo Kojima in the wackiness factor, to the point that you can barely conceive Snake anywhere near this setting.

And yet the other part actually got all hyped up like a spastic teenager watching all the guys get chopped up to kibble, followed by the crazy metal gear dispatches.

Want.

The Zelda achievement was also very classy, and I wish the rest of the show could have matched that. It was the Far Away moment of 2011.

I can't help but wonder why Mario hasn't earned that honor, as it could be argued that he has had the longer, more successful series, but whatever.

And I also wonder why no one is talking about this:

0zTrl.jpg

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    On the one hand, Naughty Dog does some good stuff, and could make the game interesting.

On the other, good goddamn am I sick of zombies. I know, they're probably not "zombies" based on the puffiness of their heads. But they're still former humans with a relentless desire to kill you, so yeah, zombies.

Just curious, is anyone excited about Tony Hawk HD or did the last 47 horrible games break everyone's interest?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Because it's a joke.

edit: talking about the Arkham World script.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Yeah, very obviously played as a joke.

... I still want to see the machinama that was made for the other people, especially Portal's. Assuming, of course, that they weren't told ahead of time who won and just had everyone make something.

It's still pretty much confirmation a third Batman game is going to get made by Rocksteady.

That's good enough for me.

Pretty sure most people think it's a joke. It's the worst name I've ever heard of and (Arkham City spoiler)
    he's dead.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's still pretty much confirmation a third Batman game is going to get made by Rocksteady.

...you mean other than the ginormous hint the second game gives you?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    An actual Emmy or Oscar award style show would require a lot more work than you think. Admittedly, I do think it's possible when you put forth a proper effort, and not let a bunch of dudebros at SpikeTV handle it.

But if you think about it, some studios probably wouldn't bother sending their guys there to accept awards, like certain Japanese developers, and possibly a couple of Australian, Canadian or French studios. Of course, it wouldn't be hard to do a pre-recorded speech, or a webcast acceptance. Then you have to think that people who accept Emmys, Oscars and even Grammys, are usually entertainers who are used to being televised and in front of the cameras. Could you imagine some of the people accepting the awards for things like, best graphics? Best original song? Best adapted screenplay? And all the awkwardness and such?

I wouldn't mind seeing a proper awards show, but it wouldn't look all formal like the big ones. Game devs aren't ridiculously paid like actors and singers who are going to show up in Armani and $5,000 - $10,000 gowns. It might actually be kind of refreshing to see people accepting awards in jeans and t-shirts.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:

Nothing is ever certain in this industry.

Heck, even Modern Warfare 3 was in doubt following the whole Infinity Ward snafu.
    Pretty sure most people think it's a joke. It's the worst name I've ever heard of and (Arkham City spoiler)
    he's dead.

That could be part of the joke.
    He doesn't need the script because he's not in it.

But he will totally be in it.

Anyway, hope The Last of Us gets a thread. I want to start seeing all the concept stuff that was released prior.

I also wish Seth Green was the host. He makes one comment about Zelda, but it was already more insightful then anything that other guy said.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Just curious, is anyone excited about Tony Hawk HD or did the last 47 horrible games break everyone's interest?

For the first time in over 10 years, I'm kinda interested. Just depends how much work they put into it. If it looks decent and has a bunch of maps (not just Namco'd into DLC) then I might pick it up.

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote:
    Turkey wrote:
    Shiggy headbanging is something I'll never unsee

I missed this.

Goddamnit.

Don't worry, I'm sure reddit will be flooded with gifs of it very shortly.

And right you were!

Dofwl.gif

camo_sig2.png
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote:
    Levi kept the show from being as bad as last year's, but the nonstop skits and the 5 second award clips got really grating.

That sounds worse to me.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Glad I didn't watch

I was expecting to be excited about the new "massive" exclusive, but it's a Naughty Dog zombie game, which...I mean, I can't think of anything I care about less than zombies and zombie-related media

cloudeagle wrote:

Heck, even Modern Warfare 3 was in doubt following the whole Infinity Ward snafu.

You must have been the only one that thought that.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Not really

It was unclear if they'd be able to use the Modern Warfare name

edited December 2011
    Shady3011 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Not really

It was unclear if they'd be able to use the Modern Warfare name

I think the whole brand was (is) up for contention (Call of Duty), but to think there wouldn't be some kind of sequel is a little much.

Edit: Actually, they couldn't do jack shit since Activision owns the fucking IP. IW agreed to it.

Shady3011 on
    Finally saw the clip from the MW3 acceptance speech.

Wow.

I can't believe that is a thing that happened in real life.

Even Charlie Sheen was stunned by the sheer lack of decorum and class.

That joke doesn't even work. CoD isn't known for that. It's fucking Halo.