As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Jyardana wrote:
    Thanks guys
    TheStig wrote:
    I like the look of your snatch.

also does your gym have rings? Do them muscle ups on the rings like a man!

I wish we had rings.

Hell, the middle school I teach at has rings. But does the uni? Nope.

What about one of those TRX setups? I picked one up off of craigslist, thing is kick ass, set it up where ever and easy to bring with ya.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Nothing wrong with high swings.

Though I question the wisdom of doing them while jumping on and off a balance ball.

adytum on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    A big fellow in my gym helped me with power cleans today. I think he came over because he heard me mumble "that was fucking terrible" after my first set. The next four sets went way better. Apparently I was trying to get under the bar too soon, so I waited a little longer and they went much smoother.

Also, holy shit, I'm still sore from planks on Wednesday. Just one part of my abs (kind of high, right below the ribs, near the outsides of the front). So I just did leg lifts today.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i should do planks

poo
  • OscrethOscreth Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:

Though I question the wisdom of doing them while jumping on and off a balance ball.
    Yeah, the exercise in that video looks like a broken ankle waiting to happen.

Old man, family, works too hard, locked into a routine, but still plays with army men and video games.

If you want to play League of Legends, here is my refer a friend: So I get points
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Oscreth wrote:
    adytum wrote:

Yeah, the exercise in that video looks like a broken ankle waiting to happen.

A couple of times her hips start to wobble and all I could think of was "here we go, broken bones!"

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    moocow wrote:
    Also, holy shit, I'm still sore from planks on Wednesday. Just one part of my abs (kind of high, right below the ribs, near the outsides of the front). So I just did leg lifts today.

Serratus anterior, iirc.

That was all that got sore when I did planks (for a little while, because I'm a quitter and also a baby), but maybe (read: probably) I was doing them wrong.

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Jyardana wrote:
    Thanks guys
    TheStig wrote:

I wish we had rings.

What about one of those TRX setups? I picked one up off of craigslist, thing is kick ass, set it up where ever and easy to bring with ya.

We have them, its just that there is a massive theft problem in our gym and other pairs have been walked off with, so its a hassle to use them. Signing your name in blood is the rumored last step.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2011
    benched a full set today. was concerned as to why they were so hard, until i recounted the weight and it was a full 10 pounds over where i was when i stopped five months ago.

pretty proud of that.

planning more back stretches to do, as a muscle seized during squats and i had to bail. ruined me for the rest of the day.

oh well. back in the game.

Orikaeshigitae on
    Jyardana wrote:
    Jyardana wrote:
    Thanks guys
    TheStig wrote:

I wish we had rings.

We have them, its just that there is a massive theft problem in our gym and other pairs have been walked off with, so its a hassle to use them. Signing your name in blood is the rumored last step.

That's a shame, they're a pretty decent setup. I hadn't considered that people might be ripping them off, the globogym I had been going to has gone absoloutely crazy with TRX and has about a dozen of them mixed in throughout the place now. Drives me kinda crazy since most of them aren't needed.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    "Theft problem?" Why don't you just run them down, J?

• BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    There's a fine line between rolling the bar towards you on the start of a powerclean and slamming a loaded bar into your shins hard enough to knock you over. On the bright side I was in a college gym on a Saturday morning so no one saw me do it.

Hamurabi wrote:
    "Theft problem?" Why don't you just run them down, J?

Contrary to popular belief, I actually don't live in the gym.

It's more like an every day vacation home.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Oh my word. Band deadlifts are hard. I am going to have such a boss lockout by the end of this cycle.

Just been doing some light reading on a Sunday morning. Introduction of raw lifting as a separate category has meant starting from scratch with national records, which are all based on standards right now. Squat and bench I need to put an extra 40kg on each to reach them but I'm only 25kg off the deadlift standard.

So what I need to do is at the next comp open with a record attempt so I can get there before anyone else does. Even if it were shortlived (i.e. less than ten minutes), it would be a sweet thing to hold a national deadlift record.

• big lbig l Registered User regular
    Oh my word. Band deadlifts are hard. I am going to have such a boss lockout by the end of this cycle.

Consider trying reverse band deadlifts. The resistance curve of bands is such that with bands from the floor, there's a lot of resistance added at the very very top of the lift. Easy-easy-easy-medium-medium-HARD and you hit the sticking point and the last two inches are tough and your grip is screaming. Thing is, vast majority of lifters are going to get more benefit from working a larger range of the top half of the lift rather than having it be trivial off the floor and then murder on the top two inches. Reverse bands, hung from above, reverse the resistance curve, so it looks more like easy-medium-medium-medium-hard-hard. Much smoother curve, without the sudden resistance at the very top. And if one does miss a deadlift at the very top, it's usually not because of weakness at the very top, but because the lift lost momentum above the knees - the point where the reverse band deadlift really kicks in. It's a little more trouble to set up and it takes up a power rack but I really think it's a more balanced way of working the lockout rather than just murdering the top two inches like the regular bands do. Worth a shot.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    That's a good point. I'd never actually thought there would be a difference between band and reverse band but it makes sense. There is ample time to fit them in at the moment, too. Crazy sheiko variation has me doing 5 deadlift sessions a week. 2 banded, 2 regular and 1 deficit. My callouses are evolving rapidly.

I'm starting to get beginnings of a noticeable yoke around my neck which is exciting, but brings up an issue of pure vanity for me since the rest of my shoulders are kind of small. If I want to build up the outside of my shoulders what are the best lifts for that?

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    real excited that I'm moving into a new office tomorrow. It's back on my company's main base of operations so our fitness facility is in the next building over as opposed to 30 minutes away.

Gotta stretch a lot.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Borommakot wrote:
    I'm starting to get beginnings of a noticeable yoke around my neck which is exciting, but brings up an issue of pure vanity for me since the rest of my shoulders are kind of small. If I want to build up the outside of my shoulders what are the best lifts for that?

I do flyes and OHP for that, seems to work out okay for me

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    oh bah why'd i schedule my dentist appointment for tomorrow morning
    gonna need to work on tuesday and wednesday instead of monday and wednesday

oh well

gotta have clean teeth

poo
    oh bah why'd i schedule my dentist appointment for tomorrow morning
    gonna need to work on tuesday and wednesday instead of monday and wednesday

oh well

gotta have clean teeth

Ask your dentist if it's cool to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBBkQzBXpzg

owww

do people train for that like normal weight training?
    can your... gums get stronger?

poo
    Borommakot wrote:

There was a T-nation article a bit ago that recommended boxing for building the shoulders, I can vouch for that. The one thing that's noticeably built since starting MMA is my shoulders, if you did some bag work at the end of a lifting workout I bet it would get ya some nice results.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I felt really weak when lifting this morning. 175 5x5 didn't work out well, went 5-4-4-3-3, bleeeehhhhh.
    I guess I can at least be happy that I'm able to bench my bodyweight that amount of times?

Hopefully the rest of the week goes better.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    i wonder if i should try squatting with weights again

doot doot
    i really really want to
    really really

poo
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Shaz is this where we tell you to stop being a baby or would that be medically unsound?

nah i'll figure it out

poo
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    the cycle of shaz posting

"fuck i hurt myself" ---> see physio ---> lift weights for a time before deciding to do exercise that is possibly bad for his injury ---> "fuck i hurt myself" --->

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    yeah basically
    though one of the things that happened was totally unrelated to the other injury, that was some weird shit on the opposite leg

poo
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Don't worry, I'll go and squat enough for the both of us today

"Be excellent to each other."
    Okay, I lied.

Only did 5x3x260lbs instead of the planned 5x5x260lbs.

My biggest problem with squatting is breathing technique. Between the bar trying to crush me to the floor, and my belt squeezing me to death, it's hard to get 5 big gulps of air for each rep. I know I can get the 5 reps, but by the end, I'm panting and throwing up in my mouth a little (okay, only happened this once).

Not really sure how I can work on this problem, does anyone have any advice?

ninzorjons wrote:
    Okay, I lied.

My biggest problem with squatting is breathing technique. Between the bar trying to crush me to the floor, and my belt squeezing me to death, it's hard to get 5 big gulps of air for each rep. I know I can get the 5 reps, but by the end, I'm panting and throwing up in my mouth a little (okay, only happened this once).

You don't need 5 gulps of air for each rep. If you're intentionally taking 5 breaths, then that's panting right there. So don't intentionally pant. More like one big gulp, with a couple little ones before if you really need it. I recorded this video a long time ago, but it's one of my only videos of squat reps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=836U_ls2ky8

The plates are kind of in front of my face but you can see my mouth. After each rep, I take a couple small breaths, get myself together, then one big breath, and go. Usually I'll do just the big gulp before the first couple reps in a set and then for the last couple I'll take the extra breaths beforehand because I'm getting tired. Breathing too much, you'll just get lose your tightness. So don't breath so much, only as much as you have to.

Fuck, i missed doing heavy oly lifts. Did 7x2 working up to 255 for hang cleans after not doing an oly lift higher than 170 (snatches off blocks) the last two weeks.

While I'm working my way back to what I was lifting before I'm focusing on a lot more on form in general and most importantly depth on squats. The ass part of ass to grass doesn't really get across how much ass is really involved in there. My butt hurts in a good way.

Oh baby.

big l wrote:
    ninzorjons wrote:
    Okay, I lied.

You don't need 5 gulps of air for each rep. If you're intentionally taking 5 breaths, then that's panting right there. So don't intentionally pant. More like one big gulp, with a couple little ones before if you really need it. I recorded this video a long time ago, but it's one of my only videos of squat reps.

[snip]video[/snip]

The plates are kind of in front of my face but you can see my mouth. After each rep, I take a couple small breaths, get myself together, then one big breath, and go. Usually I'll do just the big gulp before the first couple reps in a set and then for the last couple I'll take the extra breaths beforehand because I'm getting tired. Breathing too much, you'll just get lose your tightness. So don't breath so much, only as much as you have to.

Whoops, sorry what I meant was a breath for each rep, 5 breaths total.

Watching your vid, my technique is actually very similar to yours. I think I need to tuck my head in, instead of looking at the ceiling when taking my breath. Seems harder to get a big gulp when I'm facing up.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    If I can't win a game of Starcraft I might as well go win at lifting. Second lifting session while sick, I hear the cure for the common cold is squats?

yeah i somehow managed to tweak something in my upper back/bottom of my neck, between my shoulderblades while overhead pressing

this is annoying

i know it'll go away in like 3 days, but, what was i probably doing wrong when pressing, do you have any idea?

poo
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Where were you looking when you were lifting? Sometimes your head position can cause neck tweaks, like if you were looking up or to the side or something.

Guys that have done 5-3-1 and I guess any program where you pick your own assistance exercises, do you pick ones that go with your main lift or ones that are the opposite? Like on the day you bench, would you do incline DB bench and close grip or RDLs and leg press?

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    what peen said about where your head is looking

i've done it before, albeit on a seated row, but i can easily see how it would happen on overhead press

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    Yeah, I may have looked up as I did it. I know the cue is to look directly in front of you for OHP, but there's a damn mirror right in front of me, so I probably looked up as the bar was going up. Maybe I should bring something to cover up the mirror... or close my eyes (that seems dangerous).

poo
This discussion has been closed.