As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New car is fuuuucked

124»

• witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    As a Toyota owner who has had a related experience, I encourage you to call corporate directly. When I called them, they were awesome and understanding. You should also check reviews for the maintainance departments at dealerships in your area. Note that the sales and service departments are separate and can vary in their level of competence within a single dealership. Then take it to the best one that you can reasonably get to.

In my situation, I had purchased a pre-owned Corolla still under warantee. After a little while, I noticed a whistling sound when ever I was driving into the wind or at high speeds - essentially a problem with the windshield. I took it into my local dealership 4 times and they weren't able to fix it...and you could see glue on the outside of the windshield that looked like crap as one of their "fixes". They also tried to convince me there was nothing wrong. I then decided to go to a dealership with a better reputation although an additional 30 minutes away from me. They told me they needed approval from corporate to work on it since the first dealership had already been reimbursed. I called corporate and explained the situation. They understood that the first dealership had "lost my business" as I was very clear about not going there again. I took it to the better service department, they fixed it with only one attempt required (they actually replaced the windshield).

The moral of the story is - corporate is awesome and helpful. They may have some suggestions for you before making a decision, so there is no reason to delay calling them. I would recommend deciding where you would like your vehicle to be serviced from now on though. Those technicians sound like the incompetent ones I was dealing with who, after keeping my car for a week, did nothing and told me there was nothing wrong, not to mention that a 9 year old could have done a neater job with the glue that I could see all over my windshield. I wouldn't want them to even change my oil at this point.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Well.. if you're manually shifting that car once its in gear that would explain bad mileage. Drop it on the 3-D and leave it there. 2/L is for different driving/towing conditions.

Actually, this is a good point.

Are you sure you have it in the correct automatic setting?

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah 2/L would also explain the lack of power too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Yeah- I've gotten my matrix in those settings on accident before and the difference is massive.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I get the same feeling when I accidentally nick my Ebrake or OD settings as well as that downshift on automatics. But he's ruled out the other two.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:

yea, an auto, just through it in D and let the car do everything, no need to really throw it in any other drive ever*

*not really forever , mostly normal ever

camo_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    mts wrote:
    bowen wrote:

yea, an auto, just through it in D and let the car do everything, no need to really throw it in any other drive ever*

*not really forever , mostly normal ever

Yeah, I haven't been manually shifting to different gears. I leave it in D.

Here are the stats on my last two tanks:

Dec 5 480KM / 42.825L = 11.21 KM/L
    Dec 11 466KM / 40.702L = 11.45 KM/L

Economy is a little better than what I was going by before, since there appears to be about 10L still in the tank when the guage is on empty. That's quite a reserve tank, there. It still seems fairly low, though. The second tank was a lot more city driving than the first, oddly enough. I did quite a bit of driving in downtown Toronto.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    It's probably a narrow tank, which is why there's so much reserve.

Gas tanks don't actually have reserve tanks, it's just how the float works.

102370.jpg

102371.jpg

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    Here are the stats on my last two tanks:

Dec 5 480KM / 42.825L = 11.21 KM/L
    Dec 11 466KM / 40.702L = 11.45 KM/L

This should put quite a few of your worries to rest. You're getting 26.37 and 26.93 MPG respectively. According to the US Government's website on fuel economy, your car gets 25 MPG city and 32 highway. 28 combined. The fact that you were doing city driving and coming it an just under the combined estimate says your car is performing pretty much as expected.

When they say "highway" mileage, they mean straight uninterrupted driving for long periods of time. Basically, ideal conditions. Unless you're going on a road trip, you'll rarely achieve those ideal conditions, and you can expect much closer to the "combined" mileage, which you are currently achieving.

Now, that's not to say your engine isn't running sluggish, but at least we can put the fuel economy concerns to rest.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    Cheer for data!

• DibsDibs Registered User regular
    I still wish you would call corporate and check this out.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think its worth calling corporate for the shoddy dealer service alone.