As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Four Nerds Podcast

Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
i don't think it's sitewhoring (at least i hope it isn't), but i wanted to throw a link out there to those folks in this forum who like podcasts and like gaming:

http://fournerds.podomatic.com

Super Namicchi on

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    this is the worst thread i have ever seen

edit: I guess I had that coming.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    very ironic since he's one of the hosts of the show

we get no respect even from ourselves

• psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    i bet it wouldnt look like site whoring if you told us what kind of interesting topics you talked about and why we should want to listen.

or maybe it might be more like site whoring.

either way, tell me those things.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    As one of the other titular nerds, I can at least take a stab at that.

We've discussed all the topics, all of them. Even that one that no podcast has done that you wish someone would.
    In all seriousness, there are two episodes up and a third in post.

In any case, I can provide the topic list from episode 2 and 3. (I wasn't involved in episode 1, but I'll add the stated topics in-cast)

Episode 1 Topics:
    Cast introducing themselves.
    Playing pre-established characters in a setting (ie: the Spiderman PC in a group of original PC characters)
    Side discussion that was spawned from above: GM vs. Players or adversarial game dynamics
    Evil Campaigns
    Problem Players

Episode 2 Topics:
    “Inverse power gaming”, aka taking four ranks in basket weaving because it ‘enhances roleplaying’
    Roleplaying a different race or gender

Episode 3 Topics:
    Roleplaying in other mediums
    House Rules / Adherence vs GM Fiat
    Assigning Homework (or how to deal with the player who writes his PC a novel)
    Group Template (ie: the A-team, or the Power Ranger setup.

We do meander and explore offshoots in discussion. So while those are the main topics, we've not stopped ourselves from digressing and finding new topics of discussions.
    The two episodes I've been involved in have been fun to record and I look forward to making more.
    Eventually, we plan to begin interspersing discussion podcasts with gameplay casts.

Hope that helps,
    -Chris

steam_sig.png
    a most excellent summary good sir

as destro said, episode 3 is in post (i'm editing as i type this) and should be up this evening

• daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    1. I enjoy this.
    2. Episode 3 isn't up yet.- Edit, beat'd.
    3. It would have been interesting if you had addressed women playing men or women playing women while men were also playing women, etc. As a woman gamer/gamemaster, I am interested in this.

daniant on
    that's a good idea, i'm sure we'll come back to some topics in the future

i'm really excited for when we start up our actual plays

i have a feeling that "bad gaming is stupid, dont do it" is going to be a running theme for this podcast...

episode 3 is up, with even more content this go 'round (and many a stealth edits)

Also, it's weird to hear RL people talking about Horseshoe who they know through PBP, when I know him in real life (was one of my first gaming buddies when I started). I wish you guys could game with him in person, he's impressive. Ask him about The Fox sometime. ;)

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    I have listened to and enjoyed the first two, even though I have very limited rp experience.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
    @daniant that's awesome! i've jammed with pete over skype numerous times, he's a hoot and a half to talk to

he's going to be on our show at some point, that's a damn promise

@daniant that's awesome! i've jammed with pete over skype numerous times, he's a hoot and a half to talk to

he's going to be on our show at some point, that's a damn promise

Oh, he'll be a riot. I'm looking forward to it.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Gonna listen to this tomorrow at work while I'm pretending to actually..you know...work.

camo_sig2.png
    episode four is in the can (we did it a day early)

you have to wait for tomorrow night for it to be posted though

also: we'll be doing actual play starting next week starting with Three Sixteen: Carnage Amongst the Stars

tune in as we travel the known (and unknown) galaxy killing aliens just because they look different

here's a relevant bump:

i wasn't planning on having a Christmas episode, but the Four Nerds will still have a piece up for you! tonight i recorded a solo discussion with the man, the LEGEND, horseshoe

it will be titled An Evening With Horseshoe

look forward to it

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Just as an FYI, I tried to download episode 4 via iTunes just now but a very dapper British recording told me that you'd reached your bandwidth limit.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    oooh, I'm gonna get this cause I love you guys. At least, I'm familiar with 2 of the 3 of the 4 nerds IDed in the thread so far.
    Though I guess I might have to wait until the apparent bandwidth issue is resolved.
    daniant wrote:
    3. It would have been interesting if you had addressed women playing men or women playing women while men were also playing women, etc. As a woman gamer/gamemaster, I am interested in this.
    We're gonna be starting a Song of Ice and Fire game soon and my wife is playing my brother. So that'll be different.

steam_sig.png
    so we started our actual play of Three Sixteen: Carnage Amongst the Stars tonight and it was glorious

unfortunately we've reached our bandwidth cap for the month so you gotta wait until thursday to get ahold of episode 5

however i am working on an alternate hosting solution so fear not

• susansusan Registered User regular
    I'm having issues with Episode 4; Zune Marketplace is listing it as being 23 seconds long?

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
    edited December 2011
    The 23 seconds is a recording from podomatic telling you they are over their bandwidth.

Cayrus on

sorry for the delay, but we are back with more bandwidth and a new episode, Episode 5, where we kill aliens because ugh aliens are gross

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    oh noooo

INeedNoSalt on
    HAPPY NEW YEAR

episode 6 is live for all four of you dutiful listeners

this week we discuss drinking at the gaming table, new gamers, and the evolution of tastes in gaming... all with a SUPER SECRET MYSTERY GUEST!
    the mystery guest is psolms

• DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    I wonder who the super secret Mystery guest will be?
    I saw the spolier, now I know.

episode 7 will be going gold shortly

today's episode covered player fixation on minor fluff, railroading, tension and plot in campaign writing, and awkward topics in roleplaying!

So I am finally listening to this, and I didn't realize that Koyi was fixating, nor did I realize you were cutting her worries short. It just seemed like you were in giving usual GM data. So basically good job at seamlessly fixing something before it became a problem.

• jreidjreid Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hi everyone, really keen to listen!

Are episodes 1-3 still available somewhere? They aren't in iTunes or on the podomatic page.

due to bandwidth issues i took 'em down, i'll probably repost them at some point but i consider episode 4 and up to be of much higher quality!

• SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    I just listened to Episode 7 for the first time, very interesting.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • jreidjreid Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Fair enough Arcanis, I have the available ones downloaded, just about to start listening :)

Okay, so I just finished listening to the latest podcast, and first off.

Whooo! I was mentioned! I am now famous. I must go prepare my headshots.

Second off, I have actual experience with playing a female character being hit on by a male character (played by a guy). I have also DM'ed NPCs who had pretty involved relationships with characters before. If you want to know what it's like for a real live woman to deal with this, I am available to ask.

Finally, thank you thank you thank you for talking about plot development. It really helped me with my PbPs. I am really revved up for the story now.

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    daniant wrote:
    Second off, I have actual experience with playing a female character being hit on by a male character (played by a guy). I have also DM'ed NPCs who had pretty involved relationships with characters before. If you want to know what it's like for a real live woman to deal with this, I am available to ask.

Asking.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    you know what might be a cool idea for a future show? a faux Q&A session - get a bunch of questions from in thread and hit as many as possible.

well dani, if you drop by #darktimes in the evening sometime the next couple days, i have something to discuss with you

episode 8 is UP

we discuss girl gamers, blank page syndrome, and moving your group from hack n slash to roleplaying

@stever777

If you want to hear about my gaming experience, listen to the latest podcast.

:D

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    You on the cast yourself? Would luv to hear you. (*)

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    Special guest. Also, FYI to all, I am not a 14 year old girl like the timbre of my voice suggests. Am in fact mature woman in her late twenties.