As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

artist looking for feedback - just starting

evilapathyevilapathy Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Artist's Corner
TheGangFinalcopysmall.jpg

New pic of some characters

Baz

evilapathy on

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    If you were working for Malibu comics in the 90's that would be awesome....

I do like your coloring though. The whole piece has a nice retro vibe.

edit: Also you don't need to keep making new threads. You can just make one general art thread and post all your stuff there. You should merge this into your webcomic thread.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    is it wrong i find the background far more interesting?

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Hmmmm. Needs more holographic foil.

But yeah, this thing is so nineties I can feel my teeth clench reflexively. You've got all the basics down. Hiding their feet as much as possible, lines all over the place, cluttered designs. Musculature and bone structures that don't conform to anything that could possibly live.

You need to work on the basics a lot. Do some life drawing, study some anatomy, proportion, stuff like that. Throw all of your Spawn issues into a big fire. You know. Basic stuff.

• Options
    amateurhour, thanks for the feedback. I got into comics in that period and grew up with Jim Lee and image. It's hard to not be influenced. :)

Farbekrieg, not sure this is helpful, but thanks

Spectre - x, i have started on the anatomy practice, it has been mentioned before. I've done some story boarding in the past and some newsletter design. I have always struggled with hands and feet.

Peace xx

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Heya. In the future try to keep all your stuff in one thread to help cut down on clutter and to give anyone critiquing your stuff a better overview of what you can do.

I'm gonna second the obvious advice that you need to study anatomy (try to listen to Spex's advice without taking anything he says, ever, personally or even seriously), but I actually think your coloring is the weaker link, here. (And while not a crit, per se, don't save images for web in CYMK.)

Your colors on this are all smack dab in the same value area, making it a homogenous, muddy mass of stuff where nothing pops out. Even the crazy energy swords and powers, which should be definite lightsources, are flat midrange colors. To sort of show you what I mean I've desaturated the colors and you can really see how the values are all right in the same range. Also, if you'll forgive the quick and dirty paintover, I threw some contrast on sword-dude to sort of illustrate how lights and darks can better describe shapes and pull out the figures.

TheGangFinalcopysmall_PAINTOVER.jpg

You've got some nice stuff with shadows happening on the pterodactyl dude's face, which is also the least scribbly and generally my favorite thing in the image.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    oh also, how do i merge threads? sorry noobsville

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    evilapathy wrote:
    oh also, how do i merge threads? sorry noobsville
    You can't, it's a thing only mods can do.
    I'd suggest picking which thread you want to keep, repost your work in that thread, rename the other threads "[Close Please]" and then edit the first post in those threads to include a link to the thread you're keeping alive.

The other threads'll either fall off the page or be closed by the mods.

• Options
    The-Gang-Final-copy-small-web-1000.jpg

• Options
    cafecopy.jpg

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    evilapathy wrote:
    amateurhour, thanks for the feedback. I got into comics in that period and grew up with Jim Lee and image. It's hard to not be influenced. :)

Farbekrieg, not sure this is helpful, but thanks

Spectre - x, i have started on the anatomy practice, it has been mentioned before. I've done some story boarding in the past and some newsletter design. I have always struggled with hands and feet.

Peace xx

If that is the case, hiding them is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. You should always try to challenge yourself by leaving your comfort zones.

Your latest piece looks much more appealing than the one you started the thread with, partially because the colouring is less drab and partially because there's less stuff happening all over the place. The colouring is still blotchy and messy, though, which works in some parts of the drawing, but not in others. The counter looks kind of bleh, for instance.

You also might want to focus on controlling your lines a bit more. They're very scratchy and wobbly and uneven and erratic at the moment. That look can work, but you need to know how to control your lines first.

And keep in mind that things have shape and weight. The two guys and their various body parts don't seem to be connected, really. Like the guy's finger's curled around the mug. They don't look like they're part of his body. And the guy with the glasses's left hand looks like it's about as thick as a sheet of paper. So work on your foreshortening as well.

• Options
    Thanks - i give the hand thing a go next. I see what you mean about the weight thing. All good in the hood.

Peace xx