As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Name That Game] Arcade game out of 1987

SinusPiSinusPi Registered User new member
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
Greetings, O Great Collective Of Obsessive Gamers!

I humbly come before thee, begging help with identifying a game. My memory might be way foggy, I was 7 at the time...

YEAR: 1987.
PLATFORM: Arcade. CABINET: standard upright.
TYPE: fighting (I guess?).
LAYOUT: side-scroller, scrolling by the screen. Upper and lower floors visible at all times, with occasional staircase allowing access.
ENVIRONMENT: interior. A castle?
GOAL: smashing big crystal orbs, put on pedestals in alcoves in the corridors. "Destroy all to proceed", I guess.
CHARACTER: single dude, probably with a cape of sorts. Walking freely either left or right of the screen.
NOTABLE: when the last crystal orb on the level was destroyed, the hero would go in to some superpower mode, doing... something superpowered... while the level went dark and ominous and thunderstormy.

A huge "plz halp" before my mind explodes.

SinusPi on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Neo-Geo?
    Magician something or other?

Wait, that was 92-ish..

Got anything else? Company name, logo?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I wan't to say Altered Beast, except the orbs were not on pedestals.... fits all the other requirements though (year is off by 1)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This fits a lot of your description, too, Bogey Manor: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7178
    In Bogey Manor you play as a young boy in a haunted house. Your objective is to destroy all the orbs that are in the house without getting caught by the ghosts. Your magic hand can freeze them for a short period of time.

Once you've destroyed all the orbs the haunted house starts falling apart, and you must run for your life towards the exit to win the stage. You can transform into a super hero by entering a flashing door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmlKdJULJ58

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You guys are insane. Bogey Manor it is, thank you very, very much, @MugenMidget! Too bad there isn't a +1 feature here. Consider yourself +repped :)

Also, I can't believe how many details I got right, after last seeing this game 24 years ago. The only thing I completely missed is I thought there were only 2 floors visible, while there are 4. And, of course, I thought the graphics were at least a bit better than that... Oh well, that's the childhood memory charm :P

Just for the record: @Viking, Altered Beast is a smooth scroller, moving only to the right, no cape on the hero, has outdoor levels, and the goal is to beat bosses, not specifically to smash orbs. So... not really close, I guess. But thanks for looking in :]

SinusPi on
  • Options
    No problem, I should be thanking you. I'd never heard of it until you asked, looks like fun!

e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No problem, I should be thanking you. I'd never heard of it until you asked, looks like fun!

How did you find it, then, pray tell? Looking at the popularity scores it was a pretty obscure little game... (EDIT) Right, search for "orbs" in arcade-museum. That does it. Damn, how easy was that... :D

And to think it somehow got itself smuggled to communist Poland back in the day!

SinusPi on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, I Google'd " klov 'all the orbs' " and got lucky. Definitely will need to try it.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png