As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sonic CD - PC, 360, PS3, Android, iOS. Out now - console ver $5, android/iOS ver $2

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
bLp7j.png
Android version out now at Gamestop. All other versions coming in December.

So I figured with the re-release of Sonic CD coming soon, it might be time to split discussion from the Sonic Generations topic. If you haven't been keeping up, this port of Sonic CD is balls to ass fantastic. It is NOT emulation - Sega hired Taxman, from Sonic Retro, to handle the port himself. He has completely rewritten the game engine, subbing in his fantastic Retro Engine (which, if you've been paying attention, you might know from Sonic Nexus, which has thus been cancelled), and it sports a load of improvements, including:

1) TRUE widescreen 15:9 support
2) Improved 60 fps framerate (plus new animations for several objects to take advantage of this, such as including additional frames of spinning for the rings, taken from Knuckles Chaotix)
3) Even higher quality opening and closing animation than seen in Sonic Mega Collection
4) Ability to select between classic Sonic CD and Sonic 2 physics
5) Ability to select between classic Sonic CD spindash or the Sonic 2-Knuckles spindash
6) Ability to play as Tails
7) Per-pixel touch up of all the sprites to replace dithering effect with true, new color blends
8) True alpha blending in several locations
9) Much improved scaling on the special stages

And a load of other surprises which haven't been revealed yet.

Earlier today, someone snapped video of Sonic CD at Gamestop showing off the new menus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIbGZFbYWJo&feature=player_embedded

Sega has pretty much comitted to giving us a downloadable Sonic game every year from here on out, and this enhanced port of Sonic CD is this year's offering (with Sonic 4 episode 1 being last years). Sega has said they'll be watching the reception to Sonic CD closely, implying that its performance could influence the direction of Sonic 4 Episode 2. I can't recommend enough that people pick this port up, because it's NOT the usual lazy emulation people are used to seeing. This will be, without a doubt, the definitive version of Sonic CD when it's all said and done.

6302645105_6e06eb153f.jpg

Official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X35gmCp8dnw

Video Taxman used to pitch the game to Sega:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJa-4tMqVNc

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I should mention that the Android version of the game supports external bluetooth controllers.

TheSonicRetard on

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Sonic boom, sonic boooooooom....

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Sonic boom, sonic boooooooom....

Not gonna be included due to licensing issues. JPN soundtrack only.

However, Sega is gauging interest in having the US soundtrack becoming DLC, essentially passing the license directly onto the end user.

So I just noticed that some of the music in that video is from the Sonic Remix album instead of the normal OST. That's a pretty cool touch.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Weird that there's licensing issues on this, yet the soundtrack for Sonic 1&2, which is tied up with the band Dreams Come True, gets re-used over and over again at every opportunity.

Then again Sega has the luxury of having two soundtracks for Sonic CD.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited November 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Weird that there's licensing issues on this, yet the soundtrack for Sonic 1&2, which is tied up with the band Dreams Come True, gets re-used over and over again at every opportunity.

Well, the soundtrack for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 actually isn't used very often. Green Hill zone has been used a few times, but outside of Sonic Generations, when's the last time you can remember a bunch of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 music being used?

Sega paid a lot of licensing to use the music in generations.

EDIT: That, in fact, is the reason the Sonic 3 total screen music is always used over the sonic 1 and 2 total screen music.

TheSonicRetard on
    cloudeagle wrote:

Well, the soundtrack for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 actually isn't used very often. Green Hill zone has been used a few times, but outside of Sonic Generations, when's the last time you can remember a bunch of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 music being used?

EDIT: That, in fact, is the reason the Sonic 3 total screen music is always used over the sonic 1 and 2 total screen music.

Well, it's been in the many, MANY re-releases of Sonic 1 and 2 over the last couple of generations, as well as three tracks in Smash Bros Brawl.

cloudeagle wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

Well, it's been in the many, MANY re-releases of Sonic 1 and 2 over the last couple of generations, as well as three tracks in Smash Bros Brawl.

Re-releases don't count, sega is free to rerelease the games without having to relicense the music. If they did a port of Sonic 1 or Sonic 2 the same way they're doing this Sonic CD port, however, they'd have to relicense the music.

Nintendo licensed the music for Smash Bros Brawl, though.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    There's these two from Sonic Advance.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    A side note, though. I've actually spoken to Spencer Nelsen, the person who did the Sonic CD US soundtrack, and he said Sega hasn't contacted him at all yet. So if they do decide to do DLC at this point, it won't be for a while.

There's these two from Sonic Advance.

There's also the invincibilty music.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Any word if it is the Sonic 2 version of Tails or the Sonic 3 version of Tails? (ie. Can he fly and swim or is he basically just a slightly different Sonic?)

edited November 2011
    Lars wrote:
    Any word if it is the Sonic 2 version of Tails or the Sonic 3 version of Tails? (ie. Can he fly and swim or is he basically just a slightly different Sonic?)

All his abilities from Sonic 3.

tails3_thumb.png

TheSonicRetard on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    If I jam Sonic and Knuckles into my Xbox will it let me play Knuckles in Sonic CD, or just more blue sphere?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    agoaj wrote:
    If I jam Sonic and Knuckles into my Xbox will it let me play Knuckles in Sonic CD, or just more blue sphere?

There are other secrets which haven't been revealed yet.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    They should get a move on for the licensing to the U.S. soundtrack, then, because I'm ready to spend that money...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    I need this so bad. I really wish Sega had given this treatment to ALL their classic Sonic games. Although if it had to be just one, I'm glad they chose Sonic CD.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Woo, more buying Sonic games day one. Wonder when its coming out and can I get it on Steam. Mmm, Sonic.

steam_sig.png
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    Hoping this turns out good. I couldn't get into CD on the Gem Collection.

JPN/EU soundtrack is a nice incentive.

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    You can make it play like Sonic 2? Awesome. Sonic CD always felt weird to play for me.

soempty.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    It would be hilarious if they did not fix the water color bug that was in the gems version. What would really make this stand out if you could toggle between both soundtracks. (Crosses fingers)

Krathoon on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Krathoon wrote:
    What would really make this stand out if you could toggle between both soundtracks. (Crosses fingers)

I'll just leave this here...

SEGA are really going above and beyond to make this the most definitive version of Sonic CD ever released. Which is good, as it's the most underrated Sonic game in my opinion.

Igort on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Thank goodness. I can't imagine playing Sonic CD with the atrocious Toot Toot Sonic Warrior instead of Sonic Boom.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Yep, just went from will never touch with a ten foot pole to might get someday.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    ...I had no idea so many people hated the Japanese soundtrack so much.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Igort wrote:
    Krathoon wrote:
    What would really make this stand out if you could toggle between both soundtracks. (Crosses fingers)

I'll just leave this here...

SEGA are really going above and beyond to make this the most definitive version of Sonic CD ever released. Which is good, as it's the most underrated Sonic game in my opinion.

I don't know what universe Sonic CD is underrated in. It is always spoken very highly of.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:

The only good thing about the American soundtrack is Sonic Boom. The Japanese soundtrack is superior in every other way. I also really like Toot Toot Sonic Warrior, but I prefer Sonic Boom.
    Shadowfire wrote:
    I don't know what universe Sonic CD is underrated in. It is always spoken very highly of.

Underrated is the wrong word, but it's always seemed like SEGA themselves are so reluctant to re-release Sonic CD, despite constantly re-releasing all the other Genesis-era Sonic games. I even seem to recall the Sonic Gems Collection became very hard to get a hold of after a while (although I am in the UK, so that might have something to do with it).

And outside of a small circle of Sonic fans who've gotten a hold of and played it, people aren't as familiar with Sonic CD as other Sonic games.

Underrated is definitely the wrong word.

Igort on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:

Personally, I don't hate it, but like it more as an alternative option.
    Igort wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

The only good thing about the American soundtrack is Sonic Boom. The Japanese soundtrack is superior in every other way. I also really like Toot Toot Sonic Warrior, but I prefer Sonic Boom.

I prefer the U.S. Stardust Speedway music, the future in particular, and the boss music. The latter is especially creepy with some of the unlockables...
    Shadowfire wrote:

Underrated is the wrong word, but it's always seemed like SEGA themselves are so reluctant to re-release Sonic CD, despite constantly re-releasing all the other Genesis-era Sonic games. I even seem to recall the Sonic Gems Collection became very hard to get a hold of after a while (although I am in the UK, so that might have something to do with it).

And outside of a small circle of Sonic fans who've gotten a hold of and played it, people aren't as familiar with Sonic CD as other Sonic games.

Underrated is definitely the wrong word.

"Underexposed," perhaps?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Is this actually coming out this year? It's December already and there's still no firm release date.

Technically it's already out: if you're stupid enough to buy one of the Gamestop-branded Android tablets it's preloaded on it.

So yeah, I'll be surprised if it gets delayed for every other device.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Igort wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

I prefer the U.S. Stardust Speedway music, the future in particular, and the boss music. The latter is especially creepy with some of the unlockables...

US Stardust Speedway Present/Bad Future makes me hope that you can switch soundtracks while in gameplay. Stardust speedway without those songs playing feels wrong. (Also, Bad Future is the only acceptable place to fight Metal Sonic)

soempty.jpg
    For those of you in the EU, from the Playstation Store you can download a free Stardust Speedway theme. The theme will randomly switch between Good Future and Bad Future styles.

Pictures taken from sonicstadium.org:

soniccdtheme2.jpg

soniccdtheme3.jpg

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    A cool way they could have went with this would be to make the game look like the cut scenes. You could get very close nowadays.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh god, the US soundtrack is back in? Totally buying this when it comes out. I played the hell out of the game on my Sega CD back in the day and loved that soundtrack which might make me a bit weird. I'll be happy to hear the Japanese soundtrack for the first time as well.

• george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    Crap..wait..this is coming out on PSN and XBL too?! Not just iOS? Hm...

roster.gif
    If achievements existed in 1994, I'd have had all of the ones listed from that earlier post. I think I'll be playing the hell out of this game.

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    We get a choice of soundtracks too? This is excellent. Day effin' one for this. This make it. . . three times I've owned Sonic CD in some form? Original Sega CD version, Gems Collection version, and soon this. It's almost tied for the number of times I've owned Final Fantasy IV in one format or another. :P

Sonic CD comes to PSN and XBLA tomorrow for $5.

Also, both soundtracks are in the game.

Instabuy.

Yeah, five bucks isn't shabby at all considering the extra stuff going into it.