As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I WOULD HAVE WORDS WITH THEE (Thor Thread)

BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Graphic Violence
The last time was saw Thor was during Ragnarok. The fabled Fall of Asgard. It fell. Hard.
The last days of the Asagardian Avenger can be read in this book by Michael Avon Oeming and Andrea Divito

32729537ue9.jpg
68594584tk2.jpg
47221073ta5.jpg
43649730pe9.jpg
94992199ou0.jpg
28962684uh0.jpg
83157137oh7.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Balefuego on

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    But now, the God of Thunder is coming back and he is going to be kicking ass in a new series by JMS and Olivier Copiel.

THOR001.jpg
    Marvel wrote:
    Not a clone! Not a robot! Not an imaginary story! The God of Thunder is officially BACK! You’ve waited for it, you’ve demanded it…and we say thee YEA! The Odinson comes roaring to life in this highly anticipated ongoing series by red-hot superstars J. Michael Straczynski (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) and Olivier Coipel (HOUSE OF M)! But how does a god return from Ragnarok? And what place will he find in a world torn by CIVIL WAR?

Additional Solicits

Thor #2
    Thor_2.jpgThor2Delloto.jpg
    Marvel wrote:
    A freak thunderstorm hit the wide open spaces of Oklahoma…the same day a young doctor named Donald Blake drove into town! Now the friendly residents of this cozy burg are just as puzzled by the walking stick-carrying young man as they are by the storm clouds gathering on the horizon. Little do they know an honest-to-goodness god of Asgard walks among them, searching for his own home in the heart of theirs…and he’s got big plans for their dusty little town! But what connection does Asgard–and Norse mythology have to the wide-open plains of Oklahoma?

Thor #3
    THOR003VARIANT.jpgTHOR003.jpg
    Marvel wrote:
    The Armored Avenger squares off against The God of Thunder! Tony Stark, the new Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., comes to Oklahoma to verify the rumors that his old friend and teammate is alive and in town…but Thor isn’t rolling out the welcome mat for Iron Man! The God of Thunder would have words with the man who cloned him…and you know what that means!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Preview for issue #1
    Thor01pg01.jpg
    Thor01pg02.jpg
    Thor01pg03.jpg
    Thor01pg04.jpg
    Thor01pg05.jpg
    Thor01pg06.jpg
    Thor01pg07.jpg

Fuck Yes.

Special thanks to blankspace for the Ragnarok scans.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Hey, you say scans I give you scans.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Also, a heads-up to everyone. Thor will most likely not be speaking in Ye Olde Shakespearean. JMS hated it, and since he's writing Thor, chances are slim.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I just don't have the money to get into this right now. I'd seriously have to cut something off my current pull list. That's like cutting off a finger. And not one of those weird extra ones that you can live without, I'm talking about the middle finger.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2007
    Mask, read that preview for issue 1.

You can lose something from your list

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Man, look at that preview. Look at it.

You know you have to buy it.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, Blade and Ant-Man (and probably a couple other things I'm buying) are ending in a few months. I might scrounge around for the issues when they're finished. I imagine you guys will let me know how urgent buying this series is.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ...Blade?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm if I got this, Thunderbolts, Nova, New X-men or Cable and Deadpool would have to be retired.

Question is, do I want good ole smartass Wade, or Thor kicking everything's collective asses.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
    edited June 2007
    Personally I'd drop New X-Men, but that's just me.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Why not Nova? I only cared about it because the covers promised awesomeness that the series itself is failing to deliver.

Is Thor going to have a secret identity?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Nova looks like it's about to ramp up, considering it's part of Annihilation: Conquest.

and yes, Thor is going back to his old Dr. Donald Blake identity.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Its not so much of a secret identity as it is a human host. But yes, Thor will be sharing his body with Dr. Donald Blake once again.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so were they two seperate entities? donald and thor?

cuz who picked up his hammer in the road to CW FF issue?

delphinus on
    edited June 2007
    delphinus wrote: »
    so were they two seperate entities? donald and thor?

cuz who picked up his hammer in the road to CW FF issue?
    That was Donald. Hence the DB on his backpack.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, now I have to pick up that last Thor story -and- the new series! My wallet may very well choose this time to evolve into a nightmarish beast and find a way to kill me in my sleep since I clearly have no ability to feed it money on a regular basis.

The artwork is just too *trails off into a drooling jumble of sounds*

Edit: I wish they would keep Thor looking the way he does in those scans at the top of this page from Avengers Disassembled: Thor . I mean seriously, the winged helmet shit has got to go. Yeah that is like saying "Spidey should get rid of the red n blue jammies and keep the black suit" but I mean it's Thor! Just give him long blonde hair, a red cape, viking style scale male and A HUGE FUCKING MAGIC HAMMER and I bet sales double.

Additional Edit: This would also be a great excuse to kill off Sentry. Because you can't have two long haired blonde guys flying around.

Caveman Paws on
  • DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Woo. I find my pull list is crammed with mainly team books, so this will be a welcome addition to it.
    My wallet is wrong, but one day it will simply evaporate from being tapped so much.

Dondums on
    internet
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So is Thor going to fight Hulk to a standstill? I can only hope!

Fencingsax on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, now I have to pick up that last Thor story -and- the new series! My wallet may very well choose this time to evolve into a nightmarish beast and find a way to kill me in my sleep since I clearly have no ability to feed it money on a regular basis.

The artwork is just too *trails off into a drooling jumble of sounds*

Edit: I wish they would keep Thor looking the way he does in those scans at the top of this page from Avengers Disassembled: Thor . I mean seriously, the winged helmet shit has got to go. Yeah that is like saying "Spidey should get rid of the red n blue jammies and keep the black suit" but I mean it's Thor! Just give him long blonde hair, a red cape, viking style scale male and A HUGE FUCKING MAGIC HAMMER and I bet sales double.

Additional Edit: This would also be a great excuse to kill off Sentry. Because you can't have two long haired blonde guys flying around.

man, fuck that. i love thor's helmet. that shit is badass. if anything could go from his original costume, it could be those weird tiger-stripe kneehigh booties he's so fond of.

edit- which i notice are conveniently obscured in the preview page flashbacks

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2007
    The classic Thor costume is in serious need of an update. It doesn't have the classic "feel" that comes from Spider-Man or Superman (maybe that has more to do with nostalgia than costume design).

The helmet, if styled correctly, could remain but it's current "silver bullet with some wings glued to the sides" look is just too goofy looking for the Thunder God in my book.

Caveman Paws on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    I've got to say, threads for new comic series have been getting a lot better lately.

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2007
    I've got to say, threads for new comic series have been getting a lot better lately.

This thread brought to you by Balefuego and blankspace.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007

i know right

i blame myself

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The classic Thor costume is in serious need of an update. It doesn't have the classic "feel" that comes from Spider-Man or Superman (maybe that has more to do with nostalgia than costume design).

The helmet, if styled correctly, could remain but it's current "silver bullet with some wings glued to the sides" look is just too goofy looking for the Thunder God in my book.

Sure looks like it's updated to me.

I really like that they toned down the colors, and the chainmail adds something new and interesting to the costume without going totally overboard on detail.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Love the new chainmail... nothing too complicated, yet good.

Although if JRJR is drawing, better take off that shirt so I can see the muscles as he smashes things accross 2-3 double-page spreads. God, I miss JRJR´s Thor run.
    The Armored Avenger squares off against The God of Thunder! Tony Stark, the new Director of S.H.I.E.L.D., comes to Oklahoma to verify the rumors that his old friend and teammate is alive and in town…but Thor isn’t rolling out the welcome mat for Iron Man! The God of Thunder would have words with the man who cloned him…and you know what that means!

Holy shit.

Hulk. She-Hulk. Namor. New Avengers. Bucky. Now Thor?

I really wonder what Tony Stark´s insurance costs these days.

JCM on
    edited July 2007
    You would think Iron Man would send other people to do his own leg work now that he everyone and their dog is interested in beating him to a pulp.

Yes the origional Thor costume is being updated for the new series, however the "update" is really just a new chainmail shirt and a few small changes to like, knee pads and belt buckle or somehing. I understand it's important to keep him looking similar just so that readers will know who the heck he is on sight but I would personally love to see him in an all new and more fitting suit of viking-esque threads.

Caveman Paws on
  • RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is it just me, or does Thor look a bit...I don't know...tubby...in those solicits? Maybe it's just the new chainmail, but he looks decidedly less ripped than the Thor I remember.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
    edited July 2007
    He's less ripped, but a lot more bulky, which is good. Thor should be massive.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I like the costume redesign for the most part but I hate the way the new platemail is drawn. It just looks like a flat grid pattern on silver spandex.
    This McGuinness cover is about the only place where I've liked the way it looked:

THOR003.jpg

DMAC on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You would think Iron Man would send other people to do his own leg work now that he everyone and their dog is interested in beating him to a pulp.

Yes the origional Thor costume is being updated for the new series, however the "update" is really just a new chainmail shirt and a few small changes to like, knee pads and belt buckle or somehing. I understand it's important to keep him looking similar just so that readers will know who the heck he is on sight but I would personally love to see him in an all new and more fitting suit of viking-esque threads.

Well, it seems like it might be pretty hard to know what an appropriate look would be:
    Wiki on Viking Arms&Armour

They've found a grand total of one viking helmet and chainmail shirt it seems. Though, if the idea that only rich Vikings could have afforded armor is correct, a viking god showing up in chainmail seems appropriate.

He's wearing whats essentially a tunic and some chainmail, for a comic book Norse god, he's pretty much on theme.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm actually interested in Thor for once.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I very much prefer the look of Ultimate Thor.

Thorult_head.jpg
    ultimate_thor.jpg

From hammer to outfit

If they ditched the helmet, he'd look ok in my book

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm pretty excited for this series. I thought it was still a ways off until i checked next weeks shipping lists a few minutes ago, then noticed this thread. I really enjoyed Thor up until it was canceled. Everything from the build up to the Reigning arc till the end of the series was pure gold. Maybe I'll reread em to get myself even more fired up for the relaunch

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm sorta not looking forward to this. I loved Thor Disassembled so much. It was the only good thing to come from A:D and I felt it was the perfect send off to Odinson. Plus I don't care much for JMS

Bloods End on
    edited July 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I'm sorta not looking forward to this. I loved Thor Disassembled so much. It was the only good thing to come from A:D and I felt it was the perfect send off to Odinson. Plus I don't care much for JMS
    I think JMS is at his best if he's writing a fantasy epic or a cosmic epic.

Thor seems like a perfect book for him.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    Holy crap

I just read issue 1.

So good.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's good news, as I get to pick my copy up in about 20 minutes.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    First issue simply screams "OH YEAH BABY." at the end. Art is wonderful, and this first issue was a great way to kick things off.

Vann Diras on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sweet mother of pearl. I want.

Ironman must be sick of getting his ass kicked by returning powers.

EDIT: And where is the subject quote from? I know I've read it recently...

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif