As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Automated page building and XML in InDesign CS3

RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazedby the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, so I've got a big database of products that I need to build a catalog for. Our database is currently set up in Access, and I'd like to automate the page content building by setting up a master page in InDesign CS3, importing the data through an XML file and have it automatically populate the pages.

One problem. I have no fucking idea how to do this. I've been going through technical manuals and help pages all day, my head is swimming with technical jargon and I'm still no closer to setting this shit up.

Can anybody help? Even get me started in the right direction? If I can create a proof of concept of this new catalog for my company, I can get the budget to build the entire thing, I'm positive. I just need to get past the first few hurdles to actually get this thing working in the first place.

8406wWN.png
Rankenphile on

• Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm not going to be of any help. However, if you find out how to do it please let me know. In the coming weeks I have to do this:

1) Extract text from a SQL database
    2) Create a custom DTD and markup the text using XML. XML and DTD based on stylesheets from QuarkXpress
    3) Import text into Indesign to create a catalog
    4) Export text (using an INX file)
    5) Send text for foreign language translation
    6) Import translated text back into English catalog & clean-up.

I need to provide the client with a English Catalog, Foreign Language catalog, and ranslated strings for import back into their existing SQL database.

Steps 4 -6 are no sweat, I could do those with my eyes closed. Steps 4-6 worry me. A LOT

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png