As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spike VGA 2011 Nominees Announced (Getting better, but it's still Spike VGA)

167891012»

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    PC-exclusive Command and Conquer? It's about damn time they realized nobody enjoys playing RTSs with a gamepad on the console.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Granted the only thing I've seen her in is Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog, but is Felicia Day being "talentless" a common opinion? She doesn't seem that way to me.

It's hardly an opinion, more a point of fact.

Literally the only reason anyone has heard of her is because she meets the following two criteria:

A: Is a woman who is interested in video games

B: Is not really ugly

The Guild is quite awful and her appearance in DA2 is mortifying. Dr Horrible is the best thing she's been associated with and she was like the third or fourth best thing in that out of a cast of seven.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    zilo wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Turkey wrote:
    So is there any proof that C&C is not being made by one of the main Bioware studios?
    The hand-wringing tweets and posts about the possible direction for BioWare's unannounced game have proven all for naught, as EA and BioWare announced the Frostbite 2.0 powered Command and Conquer: Generals 2 at tonight's VGAs. The game is set to release in 2013.

Update: We've got the official PR from Electronic Arts, found at the Source link below. Most notable is this line: "Command & Conquer Generals 2 is being developed by a new BioWare studio, BioWare Victory, and is coming exclusively to the PC in 2013." So Victory Games is now BioWare Victory and its plans for a PC-exclusive C&C game are still in place. Wow!

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/10/bioware-announces-command-and-conquer-generals-2/

This is at least the second studio I know of totally unrelated to Bioware that's now suddenly called "Bioware" because EA owns the naming rights.

No, that's not what's going on. You need to understand more about how EA is organized. There are multiple groups that have their own management structure, with JR at the top. Sims is one, EA Sports another, EA Partners, etc. BioWare is one as well- the BioWare guys are very, very high up the chain. The Generals 2 team is under the BioWare umbrella because it doesn't make sense to put them anywhere else. They used to be under the same umbrella as Medal of Honor, Dead Space, etc., which made no sense. Now they're at least reporting to people who understand the strategy games business.

There are a few people left on that team from the olden times but half of them (or more) are located in Austin, where they share office space with the SW:TOR team, BioWare Austin.

Is there any proof that these new studios actually answer to Bioware? Because all I've seen is that they share the name.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    One of the doctors is some kind of really high up EA vp. I think greg.

It's fair and accurate to say that Original BioWare as a separate studio has tremendous influence over New Hotness BioWare Colon Whatever.

• zilozilo Registered User regular
    Correct. You could say that the various new studios that share the BioWare name "answer to BioWare" in the same way that the original Edmonton office does. The two Drs are both bigwig execs now (or at least they were when I left a year ago, can't imagine that's changed).

• Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So basically they have influence over all of EA now.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote:
    Bioware is dead.

While you're sharing news from the distant future, can you PM me some winning lottery numbers? Preferably Euromillions.

forumsig.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Granted the only thing I've seen her in is Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog, but is Felicia Day being "talentless" a common opinion? She doesn't seem that way to me.

I still don't actually know why she is famous

I don't know when or how that happened

I have no opinion on her because I haven't seen anything with her in it, but I guess she was in a web series? I think? That doesn't make someone famous

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote:

I still don't actually know why she is famous

I don't know when or how that happened

I have no opinion on her because I haven't seen anything with her in it, but I guess she was in a web series? I think? That doesn't make someone famous

She is a girl, who was in something game-related. That's really about the sum total of it.

You know how any girl in a video doing a cover of a song from a game becomes "check this out, it's an AMAZING cover!"? Same thing.

forumsig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Someone was asking if they let people know ahead of time if they won the "Best Character Award" or if they had everyone make an acceptance video: it appears it was the latter. Here are the ones for the three who lost

Nathan Drake
    Wheatley
    Marcus Fenix

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I wish Marcus Fenix had won, just to see the reactions. What a laughably stupid nomination.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    No kidding, even within the Gears of War franchise itself there's probably 3 or 4 other characters I'd expect to see get it before Marcus "Blank Slate" Fenix.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Keeping in mind that the guy from Black Ops won last year over goddamn Ezio.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    You just don't understand the deep, compelling pathos of Call of Duty, man. You just don't understand.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    So basically they have influence over all of EA now.

Probably more a case of EA knowing that the Bioware name alone sells gangbusters in pre-orders.
    Slapping the Bioware name on a studio is like a license to print money at this point.

Dram on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    I wonder what their go to excuse is going to be.
    one of the first questions that a previewer is going to ask is why the studio is called Bioware.