As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR] Healer Thread - "Kolto Missile" is a real thing.

Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Episode 1
THE HEALER THREAD

(Shamelessly copied from Echo's Tank Thread format until I, or someone else, come up with something better.)

+Healer Classes+

The following are the TOR Advanced Classes (ACs) which are capable of restoring the health of a group via the Force, advanced medicine, or MEDICAL ORDINANCE. Yes, you can heal people with a grenade. Let that sink in for a moment.

Republic side:
Jedi Sage (Jedi Consular AC)
Commando (Trooper AC)
Scoundrel (Smuggler AC)

Empire side:
Sith Sorcerer (Sith Inquisitor AC)
Mercenary (Bounty Hunter AC)
Operative (Imperial Agent AC)

+Healer Breakdown+

This section will tell you a bit about each healer at a glace, forming some direct comparisons between Star Wars: The Old Republic and the familiar World of Warcraft. The original post is from detectivekr, a long term beta tester of the game and poster on WoW news site MMO-Champion. I have performed a few edits on the post, mostly for length, formatting, and spelling.
There are three healing ACs (advance classes) in the game per faction. They are Operative, Sorcerer, and Mercenary on the Empire, and Scoundrel, Sage, and Commando on Republic. If you are unfamiliar with the process, you start the game as a class (i.e. Jedi Consular). At level 10, you pick an advance class (i.e. Sage), and you put talent points into one of three trees (i.e. Seer).

You can see all the talent trees here: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc

Overall, if I had to rank the healers: Sorcerers > Operatives > Mercenaries. Note, for brevity, I will be using the Empire names for classes and abilities. If you want to play Republic, don't worry, it's the same. You'll just need to cross-check the names of the abilities. They are rapidly improving all the classes, so I expect by release, the gap between the healers will be much smaller.

Operative / Scoundrel
Base Class: Imperial Agent / Smuggler
Healing Talent Tree: Medicine / Sawbones
Closest WoW Equivalent: Holy Paladin (has mechanics reminiscent of holy power)
Equipment: Medium Armor
Primary Stat: Cunning
Unique Mechanic: "Tactical Advantage"

Talent Trees: Operatives (and Scoundrels) are the Frankensteins of healers. If you took the healing abilities of a paladin and gave them to a rogue, but left some medium-ranged attacks for good measure, you would have an operative. Two of the talent trees emphasis stealth-based melee dps, while the third talent tree is focused on healing.

Resource: Operatives use ENERGY for their resource, which is functionally identical to the bounty hunter's heat and trooper's ammo. So both sets of classes are restrained by a limited resource pool. Energy regenerates on a GATED/tiered system. The less energy you have, the less regen you will have (2 to 5 energy/sec). So the best strategy is to maintain high energy levels so that you have high regen levels. When I maintained maximum regen, I was able to keep a group alive without ever going oom.

Unique Mechanic: Tactical advantage works similarly to holy power. Certain abilities (direct heals, hot ticks, some attacks) give you a point of Tactical Advantage. Unlike holy power, abilities that consume tactical advantage only consume ONE point. So you can save it up and use it one-by-one. Most abilities that consume tactical advantage do not use energy, so it's important to rotate TA-generating and TA-consuming abilities so that you regen stays high.

The regular heals are:
1. Kolto Injection: 2.5 cast (2.0 after talents) heal, 25 energy (can generate TA with talents)
2. Kolto Probe: Instant HoT, stackable, 15 energy (can generate TA with talents)
3. Recuperative Nanotech: Instant AoE HoT, 30 energy, has cooldown
4. Diagnostic Scan: 3.0 sec channel, 0 energy

The TA-requiring heals are:
1. Kolto Infusion: 1.5 cast heal, 20 energy, consumes TA
2. Surgical Probe: Instant heal, 0 energy, consumes TA

Other Healer Abilities:
1. Resuscitation Probe: Combat rez
2. Toxin Scan: Instant, Removes debuffs (can be talented to provide direct heal, too)
3. Stim Boost: Regenerates energy in an emergency

In my opinion, operatives and scoundrels can be a lot of fun if you like a dynamic healing rotation. You can only spam your bread-and-butter about 6 times before going oom. Like paladins, operatives are strong single target healers, but they are weak when it comes to raid/party heals. They have no direct AoE heals, and must rely on HoTs to do the job.

Operatives and Scoundrels are close to being competitive. I expect them to be ready at launch. Personally, I would consider them polished if they had at least one direct AoE heal. Ideally, it would be consume tactical advantage. That way, one AoE heal does not need it (the AoE HoT), and the other does (the AoE direct heal).

Mercenary / Commando
Base Class: Bounty Hunter / Trooper
Healing Talent Tree: Bodyguard / Combat Medic
Closest WoW Equivalent: None (lacking abilities) / Shaman (reactive shield like earth shield) / Warlock (!) (mechanic similar to soul shards)
Equipment: Heavy Armor
Primary Stat: Aim
Unique Mechanic: "Combat Support"

Talent Trees: Mercenaries (and Commandos) are, despite the heavy armor, play like a traditional caster. They have two ranged DPS trees, and one healing tree. Mercenary and Commando healing is in need some tuning and extra abilities.

Resource: Mercenaries use heat while Commandos use ammo. While the bars look a little different, and heat is generated in reverse, they function identically to energy. See my explanation under operatives for more information on energy, energy regen, and pacing.

Unique Mechanic: Combat Support is a stackable buff that increases your healing. It is generated by healing others with your free (no heat/ammo) heal, and with your cast heals when talented. Once the stack reaches 30, you can consume your stack of CS to vent heat (restore ammo) and give your abilities a temporary bonus effect (think warlock soul shards) for 10 seconds. Any abilities you use in these 10 seconds can get the bonus.

The regular heals are:
1. Rapid Shots: Instant, 0 heat, generates combat support (3 CS)
2. Rapid Scan: 2.5 cast (2.0 after talents) heal, 25 heat (generates 6 CS with talents)
3. Healing Scan: 1.5 cast, 16 heat, has cooldown
4. Kolto Missile: Instant AoE direct heal, 16 heat, has cooldown
5. Emergency Scan: Instant heal, 0 energy, has cooldown

Combat Support Bonuses:
1. Removes cooldown from healing scan
2. Gives small damage-reducing shield to kolto missile

Other Healer Abilities:
1. Power Surge: Removes cast-time from one ability (i.e. nature's swiftness)
2. Cure: Instant, Removes debuffs (can be talented to provide direct heal, too)
3. Kolto Shell: Shield, 10 charges, heals target when taking damage (i.e. earth shield)
4. Vent Heat: Vents heat in an emergency (same as gaining ammo for trooper)

Mercenaries and Commandos are stable healers, but the lack of Tactical Advantage (compared to operative) makes them slightly more prone to going oom. Also, instead of relying on HoTs to generate your special mechanic (as is the case for operatives and tactical advantage), Mercs do not get any HoTs. Only one ability can be talented to have an occasional bonus HoT attached. Instead, you must top players off yourself using rapid shots, which in turn generates combat support (CS). It feels like more busy work during an instance, for better or worse.

I think mercenaries and commandos need a little more work, but I expect them to be competitive by launch. If they had a HoT that could generate combat support, and perhaps a better way to control heat/ammo, I would consider them polished.

Sith Sorcerer / Jedi Sage
Base Class: Sith Inquisitor / Jedi Consular
Healing Talent Tree: Corruption / Seer
Closest WoW Equivalent: Discipline Priest (absorptive shields), Resto Druid (numerous heal/hot combos), Resto Shaman (similar mechanics to riptide)
Equipment: Light Armor
Primary Stat: Willpower
Unique Mechanic: "Force Bending"

Talent Trees: If you're looking for a very traditional mage experience, Sorceror and Sage are your best bet. Two trees are dedicated to spellcasting damage, and the third is focused on healing. It's very obvious that the most time has been spent polishing this healer compared to the others. It feels the most complete and ready for endgame healing.

Resource: Sorcerers and Sages use force as a resource. It feels a lot like mana, but it is limited. You cannot stack force via gear (it's always capped at 500/600 depending on talents). You CAN, however, improve your regen with gear. The other healers DO NOT have that option, making Sorcerers/Sages unique. A well-geared Sorcerer could theoretically heal forever without ever needing to use regen abilities.

Unique Mechanic: Resurgence is an instant heal + hot (like riptide) that alters the mechanics of your next heal (also like riptide). Resurgence is on a short cooldown (again, like riptide), so you can easily weave it into your rotation. The bonus effect caused by resurgence (called force weaving) only effects the next heal.

The regular heals are:
1. Dark Heal: 1.5 cast heal, 50 force
2. Dark Infusion: 3.0 (2.5 after talents) cast, 55 force
3. Innervate: Instant heal + hot, 40 force, has cooldown
4. Resurgence: Instant heal + hot, 30 force, has cooldown (talented to give bonus on next heal)
5. Revivification: 2.0 cast AoE direct heal (+HoT for people remaining in area), 100 force, has cooldown

Force Weaving (Resurgence) Bonuses:
1. Reduces force cost of Dark Heal by 100%
2. Reduces force cost of Revivification by 60%
3. Increases crit chance of Innervate by 25% (which in turn, when it crits, regenerates force)
4. Lowers cast-time of Dark Infusion by 2 seconds

Other Healer Abilities:
1. Reanimation: Combat rez
2. Purge: Instant, Removes debuffs (can be talented to provide direct heal, too)
3. Static Barrier: Absorption shield (i.e. Power Word: Shield)
4. Extrication: Lowers target's threat and pulls them to you (i.e. life grip)
5. Consumption: Instantly regenerates force at cost of life (like Life Tap), also lowers force regen rate momentarily

As you can see, Sorcerers and Sages have the most toys to play with. They also have the biggest library of heals, and with the force bending mechanic, they have the most versatility and dynamism in their playstyle. Without a doubt, the most effort has been put into polishing these classes, so it's not much of a surprise. I cannot foresee many situations where they would run into trouble.

The biggest hurdle is at the lower levels, you do not have gear that boosts your regen, so you are reliant on pacing yourself. Consumption is best used in emergencies, and not as a regular method to get more force. Sorcerers have no problems with chain pulls, but long boss fights can really put a strain on your force. In comparison, a well-managed Operative can go forever during a boss.

+Builds+

Jedi Sage/Sith Sorcerer:

Commando/Mercenary:

Scoundrel/Operative:
Fig-D's PvE Base Build (Scramble and Chem-resistant Inlays aren't core healing talents so you could put those points in utility talents like Sedatives if you wanted to, but I prefer passive damage reduction and mobility.)

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
Fig-D on

• Options
    More to come in the future. Don't hesitate to make suggestions, contribute info, or just lay into me for being an unoriginal fuck who copies more than half of his post from other people.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Excellent. For some reason I actually like the healing whack a mole game. The brief beta time I got with the combat medic side got me lots of compliments that I was doing great healing when in all reality I was screaming at the screen at my total lack of ammo. Triage at it finest! My first character in retail was going to be a BH bodyguard but seeing as the Sorcerer is just all around a better healer I may just end up going that route for the time being.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'll be sageing it up as a healer. Might put more points into telekinetics at first just to level faster, but will mainly be healing in groups I think.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm actually really interested in a Bodyguard specced Mercenary. I'm curious whether or not they act like a "strong as a wet tissue" typical MMO healer, or more of a hybrid.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I had an absolute blast in beta healing with my Operative (helped the female IA has the sexiest damn accent. Spacebar? Not to day, shitgeese). Definetly fun to just duck around in cover shooting heals in the form of [darts at people. Definetly gonna be my first Empire side character... in less than six hours. :D

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, my first character will be a Scoundrel Sawbones, I think - I've decided, on getting back into WoW over the past couple months, that I really, really love Pally healing.

In the Beta, I played a Scoundrel up to ... 11? and finally got my heal, but then the test ended before I could really use it for anything.

I'll also be creating a Commando off-healer, so we'll see how that goes.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I don't see this as healing so much as keeping these useless drecks alive so that they might die a more glorious death for the Empire later on, or learn from their suffering and be stronger for it.

(Dark side sorc checking in)

• Options
    SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    I'm actually really interested in a Bodyguard specced Mercenary. I'm curious whether or not they act like a "strong as a wet tissue" typical MMO healer, or more of a hybrid.

My experience with them in Beta was they could still do stout DPS but had a good array of healing abilities.

Regardless, I'll be Eide - Commando with Combat Medic spec. I'll take some dps talents later on but I'll definitely pull up the CM tree. Rolling with a Vanguard and we'll have our pets focus on DPS.

Also, I've got a Scoundrel named Bojangles. Hit me up if I'm on him because that's my solo-alt. I'll roll with pretty much any composition team.

RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I still might change my mind yet again but it seems like I'll go with Scoundrel AC. So I expect I'll be giving people the bonesaws.

Can't wait.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Any word or rumor at all on mods or macros that may allow mouseover/click healing? Love the role, but just can't go back to the old EQ days. *shiver*

• Options
    cptrugged wrote:
    Any word or rumor at all on mods or macros that may allow mouseover/click healing? Love the role, but just can't go back to the old EQ days. *shiver*

Last I checked, mods and/or macros weren't even a thing allowed in the game. Anyone confirm/deny that?

• Options
    Bobble wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:

Last I checked, mods and/or macros weren't even a thing allowed in the game. Anyone confirm/deny that?

They aren't yet. Macros will come later and BioWare said they'll be releasing their API for mods and addons further down the road. When it's done (R).

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote:
    Bobble wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:

They aren't yet. Macros will come later and BioWare said they'll be releasing their API for mods and addons further down the road. When it's done (R).

Oh really? That's good, I thought I heard they were opposed to allowing mods and addons at all. Glad to see they're gonna open it up. Not that I'd mind too terribly otherwise, the UI is pretty good at default.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote:

Good to hear. I'll probably give it a shot anyway. I am a little amazed that in a time when many games use some sort of "smart casting" that this wouldn't be something in modern MMOs. Hell, I remember being taken aback by the ability to cast heals on targets without losing your offensive target in CoH and that was years ago.

But I've definitely noticed that quick launches with rapid quality of life additions has become a trend in MMOs.

Also, great to hear that operatives can gain tactical advantage through healing talents. I was really worried I'd have to be next to the mobs shiving the whole time (I may be anyway :) *stab*) to get TAs to spend.

• Options
    cptrugged wrote:
    But I've definitely noticed that quick launches with rapid quality of life additions has become a trend in MMOs.

Is this game really considered a quick launch? :lol:

Anyway, I think you kids and your fancy mouseover macros are spoiled. I click on people to heal them and I make it work! Get off my lawn :P

• Options
    So as a Scoundrel, I suppose in operations it would be something like one or two of us focusing on tank healing and one or two other classes doing raid healing and helping top off tanks? Depending on the operation size.

Not sure how operations work in scale and role breakdown compared to something like WoW, wondering how much room to expect in one. Sounds like Scoundrel might not be very desired if they already have tank healing covered?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    So is there a healing rotation for the Inquisitor say? Or is there the availability of macros like in wow where you can hover your mouse over a characters name and hotkey the macro and it will shoot out a heal, or is it more effective to aoe-heal people?

• Options
    SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote:
    So as a Scoundrel, I suppose in operations it would be something like one or two of us focusing on tank healing and one or two other classes doing raid healing and helping top off tanks? Depending on the operation size.

Not sure how operations work in scale and role breakdown compared to something like WoW, wondering how much room to expect in one. Sounds like Scoundrel might not be very desired if they already have tank healing covered?

This is what I've been trying to get figured out. I want to ensure I won't hit a brick wall at 50.

RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    First and foremost, from my experience in Hammer Station, people in this game need to learn fast that healers have to have Line of Sight to heal you.

At least three times the group I went in with (who weren't that great anyway, the Guardian finally decided after the first boss killed us three times that he needed to put his Guard on me, the healer) wiped due to them running and fighting something on the other side of an object, and me not being able to move fast enough to save them.

Also really after this many MMOs do I have to explain to people the idea of the tank pulling things? NO DPS DO NOT TRY TO BURST IT FROM THE START LET AGGRO BUILD AGAHAHAHA.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Alazull wrote:
    Also really after this many MMOs do I have to explain to people the idea of the tank pulling things? NO DPS DO NOT TRY TO BURST IT FROM THE START LET AGGRO BUILD AGAHAHAHA.

Given the way regen works for most of the healers, it's perfectly reasonable to let 'em die if they do something stupid. They don't even have any DPS meters to measure their epeen with, so it should be a little easier for 'em to learn.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Well, it sucks because I hate it when someone in the group is all like, "Where were those heals?"

Of course, I hit with, "Hey, next time you want to suicidally charge into the midst of the enemy, be my guest. Just remember that if you die before I can even click on your name and get a heal off that's on you."

Then about the third time it happens I leave the group.

• Options
    Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote:
    First and foremost, from my experience in Hammer Station, people in this game need to learn fast that healers have to have Line of Sight to heal you.

At least three times the group I went in with (who weren't that great anyway, the Guardian finally decided after the first boss killed us three times that he needed to put his Guard on me, the healer) wiped due to them running and fighting something on the other side of an object, and me not being able to move fast enough to save them.

no kidding, there should be a mandatory tutorial explaining this stuff: Healers, DPS, and You - a nubs guide to understanding what a healer can and can't do. OR as I like to put it: PVP rule #1 don't piss off your healers.

Going to play a Sith - Sorc Healing specced looking forward playing in a Sci-Fi game, last I tried were the horrors that were Anarchy Online and early SWG Beta.

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote:
    Well, it sucks because I hate it when someone in the group is all like, "Where were those heals?"

Of course, I hit with, "Hey, next time you want to suicidally charge into the midst of the enemy, be my guest. Just remember that if you die before I can even click on your name and get a heal off that's on you."

I wasn't on the beta at all because my PC was being repaired and I can't find any websites on class rotations and specs like there was with WoW. Is there a specific main healing move or is there a rotation to healing? And do you just click on someone and spam a heal then go back to attacking with lightning whilst you watch peoples health or are you constantly healing?

• Options
    I didn't really find one, and I specced more in the realm of damage for my Sage. For The Esseles (the first flashpoint) I was able to balance between healing and throwing damage at adds to kill them off quickly. Also helped that we had a Commando in the team, which meant I had backup on healing.

But for Hammer Station (the second Flashpoint, right around level 17) things get a little more complicated. There were what seemed like trash mob encounters with two battle droids that demanded that I CC one of them and the group burst down the other one, as if they combined fire on one guy he would be down faster than I could heal in most cases.

I want to throw it out there to any Guardians/Marauders reading this right now: Figure out how to pull without your Force Charge kthxplzbai. That should be used as a way to get around the fight or to start aggro on an add etc. Suddenly being way out ahead of the group is a great way to fucking die quick.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote:

Run faster, healer.

Jeeze.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I'm leaving as a healer because I'm a goddamn idiot and doing so in Vanilla WoW as a Holy Priest taught me nothing. So if you see Jorran, the Sawbones Scoundrel, give him a wave. And then walk slowly the other way because he so crazy.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Jedi Sage checking in. I was reading the Inquisitor/Sage heals and I was all "Those aren't Sage heal names!" so allow me to provide you with the proper terminology, so we don't have newbies getting confused.

Benevolence instead of Dark Heal
    Deliverance instead of Dark Infusion
    Healing Trance instead of Innervate
    Rejuvenate instead of Resurgence
    Salvation instead of Revivification

Force Weaving Conveyance
    1. Benevolence force cost reduced 50%
    2. Deliverance activation time reduced by 1 second
    3. Healing Trance crit chance increased by 25%
    4. Salvation force cost reduced by 30%

Other Tools:
    1. Revival instead of Reanimation
    2. Restoration instead of Purge
    3. Force Armor instead of Static Barrier
    4. Rescue instead of Extricate
    5. Noble Sacrifice instead of Consumption

All the abilities are identical in force cost and cast time, with talent trees to match. The Force Weaving talent currently on talent calculators simply gives you a 50/100% chance to produce those effects on the next heal, but it doesn't double the effect (no 100% free heal, no 2 second cast time reduction, etc.) I don't think that's a bug on the calculator, but I'm not level 22 yet to confirm.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    kraz007kraz007 Registered User regular
    As far as I learned from Tobold's blog, you could be a healer AND DPS too.

Riftforge: a free online RPG with fantasy tactics!

468.png

Blogs: Endless Space - galaxy seeds | Diablo 3 duels
  • Options
    You can. As a Sage or an Inquisitor, you get abilities that support both healing and dps without having to invest talent points.

However, when grouping for PvE content, chances are you're going to want to be heavy on the healing tree, whereas PvP calls for investing in damage and some healing to help your team win.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I had sorta thought I'd go in as a Tank first but I think I've changed my mind.

I keep salivating over playing with the Scoundrel trees and planning out how to make the Kessel run in less parsecs while healing my team at the same time.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Alazull wrote:
    Entaru wrote:
    I keep salivating over playing with the Scoundrel trees and planning out how to make the Kessel run in less parsecs while healing my team at the same time.

It all makes sense now. Smugglers do the Kessel run to train for healing derp allies.

parsecs = pug always runs somewhere else, can't see

When we share healer horror stories, you can use that term for how many wipes the noobs caused and blamed you for. "I ran DX in 2 parsecs." :P

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote:

When we share healer horror stories, you can use that term for how many wipes the noobs caused and blamed you for. "I ran DX in 2 parsecs." :P

Brilliant!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    One fun thing I found when healing last night on the sorc is that lightsaber attacks don't take force! So you can park yourself behind the boss and whack away in between heals without worrying that you are screwing yourself out of emergency heals later. No clue how useful this will be in a raid op though.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote:
    Infidel wrote:

Brilliant!

slowclap.gif

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    eMoander wrote:
    One fun thing I found when healing last night on the sorc is that lightsaber attacks don't take force! So you can park yourself behind the boss and whack away in between heals without worrying that you are screwing yourself out of emergency heals later. No clue how useful this will be in a raid op though.

Only if the boss doesn't do any AOE. Otherwise you are moving occasionally, and trying to use Dark Infusion to heal all the DPS folks that went apeshit on separate damage sources. The first heal from level 10 is too expensive for the cast time and amount healed. (This is for the teens through 20s. Skills and abilities get better later on).

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    grouch993 wrote:
    eMoander wrote:

Only if the boss doesn't do any AOE. Otherwise you are moving occasionally, and trying to use Dark Infusion to heal all the DPS folks that went apeshit on separate damage sources. The first heal from level 10 is too expensive for the cast time and amount healed. (This is for the teens through 20s. Skills and abilities get better later on).

At least it makes some kind of sense, unlike the comment in the movie and then they have to have WEG retcon it! :lol:

I was trying to talk myself up into selecting a pure DPS AC and making that my smuggler choice but I think I'll always end up healing. It is unavoidable, it is just what I do in these.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    I picked the sorc as my main character, but the commando/bounty hunter have some fun cones and aoe. They also have the heat/charges mechanic to make healing interesting (where "interesting" is pronounced difficult at low levels).

Healing pet could make up for going DPS on your character. Just makes it interesting if you have to main heal for a group.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote:
    I picked the sorc as my main character, but the commando/bounty hunter have some fun cones and aoe. They also have the heat/charges mechanic to make healing interesting (where "interesting" is pronounced difficult at low levels).

I felt that the operative energy system was quite interesting (and not difficult). As long as I anticipated my healing needs and kept my energy at a high level, I could keep up and still throw out some dps. The tactical advantage aspect was also pretty rocking.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote:
    Entaru wrote:
    Infidel wrote:

Brilliant!

slowclap.gif

Reported.... For Awesome!

• Options
    Nooooooooo my awesome post shame.

At least it wasn't a LoL thread post.

OrokosPA.png