As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Comic: Wednesday, Dec 14, 2011 - Scalzification

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I've spent the morning going to other forums and writing "no no, Mike is on vacation. This was a guest artist."

Are people really confusing this with a regular strip?

This comic seems far enough removed from the quality, style, and execution of both Mike and Jerry that it should be obvious to anyone paying attention that they weren't involved.

NNID: Rehab0
  • agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    According to Scalzi's website, Jeff Zugale was the guest artist.

They're auctioning off the original art for Child's Play at the previous link. I was going to say that it's kind of pathetic that he thinks it'll reach $1,000, but it's already up to $425 so what do I know.

• TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out if this is ironically bad. Maybe it's a satire of nerdy web-comics like PA and XKCD. Genius.

(Seriously though Mike and Jerry should have screened this shit. Then again, I can imagine it would be pretty difficult to turn something down after you requested a guest comic.)

yeah and they usually let their pals or people they admire do this stuff. kinda awkward for everyone. i hope mike and jerry like it at least.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
    Hey, the guy wrote Old Man's War[. This forgives a multitude of sins.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't mind people not liking the comic, but quit being jerks about it.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Girl or Boy?

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I don't mind people not liking the comic, but quit being jerks about it.

*Hides behind admin* Yeah.. don't stare a volunteer horse in the mouth...

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I feel like this is two perfectly decent comics that were jammed together to make a below average one.

• thatdarnedbobthatdarnedbob Registered User new member
    Registered to say that I read PA because it's normally a step above trash like XKCD. It is objectively below that trash today.

Registered to say that I read PA because it's normally a step above trash like XKCD. It is objectively below that trash today.

There is a well-documented reason for that if you would but read through this thread.

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Lot of hate for a mostly cute story about a dad and his kid. Pretty ridiculous when put into perspective.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Yes, there are starving children in Africa who don't get any webcomics, but I don't feel that invalidates any complaints.

• TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Lot of hate for a mostly cute story about a dad and his kid. Pretty ridiculous when put into perspective.

He's got the right of it.

That said, I did groan at the third panel and I actually like UNIX humour.
    So much so that I'm going to be a horrible, horrible person and post a seasonal one!
    better !pout !cry
    better watchout
    lpr why
    santa claus town

cat /etc/passwd >list
    ncheck list
    ncheck list
    cat list | grep naughty >nogiftlist
    cat list | grep nice >giftlist
    santa claus town

who | grep sleeping
    who | grep awake
    who | egrep 'bad|good'
    for (goodness sake) {
    be good
    }

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    This thread is a great exercise in proving John Gabriel's Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Alternatively, a lot of people's mothers never taught them what they should do when they don't have anything nice to say.

• sonofmansonofman Registered User new member

Registered to say XKCD is certainly not trash...

• FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    I' guessing the part where this says 'this mostly happened when I was eight', the real story didn't include the sudo part, and if the comic didnt either it woud have been much better

like a D- to a D better

edited December 2011
    Goose! wrote:
    This thread is a great exercise in proving John Gabriel's Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Alternatively, a lot of people's mothers never taught them what they should do when they don't have anything nice to say.

Oh please, that is embellishing things to an absurd degree and you know it. No one here has even said anything that harsh and this isn't a case of everyone being big meanies on the internet to each other just because. This is a thread for commentary on the comic that was posted, it is going to be the subject of criticism or praise as people see fit. I know this is the point where people usually come into a thread and go "oh my, what has become of things!" but as it is here, its almost always pure exaggeration.

Something written to the extent of "I love his books but not this comic" is hardly what that comic is referring to. And futhermore, by invoking the Fuckwad Theory you are calling everyone else fuckwads, and that isn't very nice. Maybe it is you who should be the not saying anything person!

Rehab on
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    sonofman wrote:

Registered to say XKCD is certainly not trash...
    wrong-o

and this comic isn't much better

here's hoping the next comic is a step up from this! sorry scalzi and whoever!

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote:

It is true that some people in this thread are being jerks about it, but the latter sentence is butts. Critique is an essential part of the creative process.

• AJC delle Marche esqAJC delle Marche esq __BANNED USERS regular
    shadowane wrote:
    Girl or Boy?

My thoughts exactly. It looks like a boy but all the "daddy" stuff suggests it's a girl. It's almost certainly a girl. But this guy needs to learn to draw girls then. If nothing else, just put a bow in the hair. Something.

Otherwise, I didn't mind the comic. I didn't get the "sudo" thing but whatever. I don't know why guest comics always receive so much vitriol.

Speaking of which, how could one get in on this guest comic business? I could make a way better comic. I have a portfolio available upon request.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    Goose! wrote:

It is true that some people in this thread are being jerks about it, but the latter sentence is butts. Critique is an essential part of the creative process.

Not this creative process though. It is very likely that no one who was involved in creating the comic will read anything in this thread, and if they did, they would have to dig to find anything constructive.
    I think "fuckwad" probably is a bit strong, but I'd bet money none of the said jerks in this thread would use such strong language to the artist/writer's face. /shrug

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    The art looks fine, the first joke is relatively sweet dad stuff, but the Sudo joke is pretty forced. Should have just left it at two panels. But still, enjoyable enough, and I hope Mike enjoys his vacation.

• UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Rehab has it right.

We're allowed to voice negative opinions on a particular comic in that comic's thread, and nobody has been indefensibly vicious or anything here. 'Don't say anything if you don't have anything nice to say' is a platitude that may work for twelve-year-olds getting through Thanksgiving with a racist grandmother, but it's hardly fit to dictate how people respond on an internet forum.

I don't know, I didn't come in here just to shit on something that was done for the strip as a favor. But I felt moved to voice some distaste for it - I know if I were recommending Penny Arcade to someone (as has often happened) and they were going through recent strips, I'd definitely want to explain this one, lest it be a poor representation of the typical quality PA puts out.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Meh, I thought the comic was cute.

I think the intended audience for this are dads who were around for the original star wars and are into computers and also really like xkcd. Maybe that isn't so much the regular PA reader though, as the comments here would indicate. It is me though, so I can at least attest that some fraction of the population here would like the comic. :P

Weeeeeeeee

El Skid on
  • TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    qfvqe.jpg

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This comic is not anywhere near as bad as people have been saying, holy shit. It was a quick cute "heh," or a "meh." What the fuck, guys?

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I mean, I didn't love the comic but dang that is some hatin'. Like others have said, cut the sudo joke and it's a lot better.

E:
    Tleilaxu wrote: »
    qfvqe.jpg

Now see, this is what we needed.

The Good Doctor Tran on
    LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    edit: How did I miss this on the first page? Fuck. Is the punchline that minutes after being into Star Wars, the child also was ensnared by the undeniable appeal of XKCD...

LTM on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Maybe Friday's comic will give us an All Your Base joke.

Henroid wrote:
    This comic is not anywhere near as bad as people have been saying, holy shit. It was a quick cute "heh," or a "meh." What the fuck, guys?

it is just a bad time to be making nerdy 'the reference is the joke' jokes

backlash, yo

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    agilemania wrote:

They're auctioning off the original art for Child's Play at the previous link. I was going to say that it's kind of pathetic that he thinks it'll reach $1,000, but it's already up to $425 so what do I know.
    (Update, 12:03pm: The $1,000 level has been reached! This is where Jeff Zugale steps in to say “if the bids go over $2,000 I too will throw in nifty extras, starting with a cartoon sketch of the buyer (from a photo over the internet), maybe a print of the UPK painting… y’know, stuff like that.” Excellent.)

And I just think it's a bit unexpected to have a PA guest comic without PA characters. Maybe if Annarchy was referencing sudo or something.

SabreMau on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

it is just a bad time to be making nerdy 'the reference is the joke' jokes

backlash, yo

A bad time huh? Did something happen to make it a bad time?

edited December 2011
    six years of xkcd happened

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    agilemania wrote:

(Update, 12:03pm: The $1,000 level has been reached! This is where Jeff Zugale steps in to say “if the bids go over $2,000 I too will throw in nifty extras, starting with a cartoon sketch of the buyer (from a photo over the internet), maybe a print of the UPK painting… y’know, stuff like that.” Excellent.)

And I just think it's a bit unexpected to have a PA guest comic without PA characters. Maybe if Annarchy was referencing sudo or something.

For $2,000 you can get a sketch of yourself dressed in a smoking jacket while Monique does spoken word in the background.

edited December 2011
    shadowane wrote:
    Girl or Boy?

My thoughts exactly. It looks like a boy but all the "daddy" stuff suggests it's a girl. It's almost certainly a girl. But this guy needs to learn to draw girls then. If nothing else, just put a bow in the hair. Something.

It is pretty ambiguous. Its kind of like a kid version of Pat, minus the nerd aspect but with the addition of another arm.

The sentimentality is alright in this comic, but its really like a parallel universe Big Bang Theory sketch with the humor.

I think Tycho should've just done a comic edit. I've done a bunch and they're pretty easy. And replacing the words in an already drawn comic can lead to a perfectly good new comic!

Now this I would have liked to see! Hell, even some of the comic edits that were done by students they visited were kind of funny.

Rehab on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I don't like the idea that a girl comic character has to have girl accessories to be identified as a girl. Does it even matter if the kids gender is identifiable?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    I don't like the idea that a girl comic character has to have girl accessories to be identified as a girl. Does it even matter if the kids gender is identifiable?
    Probably to that one guy that thinks Annarchy's hot, and posts in every comic thread that she's been in... (So Creepers)

Old joke, but it was ok.

also I've been learning Linux lately for work. The first time I had to sudo something I was like "Oh, OOOOOOHHH, Clever" and that's as much as that XKCD joke got out of me... then I learned that I could just drop into -su and never used it again

• AJC delle Marche esqAJC delle Marche esq __BANNED USERS regular
    Kagera wrote:

Is this trolling? Am I being trolled now? Yes, people who make comics should draw well enough so that the viewer knows what they're looking at. I don't see what "right on" gender politics has to do this. I like comics where I can identify the gender of the characters. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    That girl has freakishly large hands.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    I think this thread is useful feedback for Gabe & Tycho. A reminder that despite the evidence of benevolent and good-feelingness generated by Child's Play and the aura of rarified awesome that they walk in daily, most Penny Arcade fans definitely retain a misanthropic comedy mindset, and are reading it because they don't find Family Circus funny.