As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Je Veux Te [Chat]

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Organichu wrote:
    i'll straight kill motherfuckers

i'll make bodies, ok?

bodies

Chu be countin' bodies like bitches be countin' calories

PSN: Honkalot
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    wow this sure is a dicussion i walked in on

Wussy.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

i'll make bodies, ok?

bodies

pffft with what
    you'll throw bullets at me?
    or did you sell those too

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    wait how is turbon-word (not gonna spell it out because I got infracted for the norwegian word) a gay band?

ftOqU21.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    21stCentury I am curious as to how you feel about private gun ownership.

Well, that's a thorny subject...

Personally, i don't approve of people owning guns for the sake of personal protection because, well, i don't really see how guns "prevent" violent crime. Not in thesense that I don't believe people can shoot a home invader but more that I don't believe shooting a would-be invader prevents violence. But yeah, I wouldn't force people to change since it's a deeply personal issue of choosing non-violence.

I'll admit to something, however, i'd be nervous if a close friend would choose to carry a gun around. A gunfight can turn into a clusterfuck so quickly.

This sort of attitude is so far from my worldview, I really struggle to understand it. Would you not defend yourself if attacked?

Well, really, if someone is willing to kill me over my stuff, i'd rather not get in their way since i'm not willing to die so that my PS3 can go to my sister's boyfriend. Fact is, I'd rather die than kill another person.

Of course, it depends what you mean by "attack". If i'm mugged, i'll hand over my money. If someone wants to kill me out of anger or something, well... I don't know, i'm not willing to fight to the death, really.

if someone wants to just fight me? I don't think i ever had to fight someone in my life, don't really see how that could happen, but i guess i'd just take it.

Wow. Really?

That seems incredibly selfish.

It kind of does, yes. Really 21st you'd just stand there and let someone beat your ass, and be ok with that because you didn't add to the violence? You'd really stand aside as someone bashed in your sisters face, and not do anything?

If you came on someone in an alley getting raped, you wouldnt try to stop it yourself?

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

i'll make bodies, ok?

bodies

pffft with what
    you'll throw bullets at me?
    or did you sell those too

Oh, snap

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:

everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Ok selfish is the wrong word, but the position is smacks of privilege and yeah, totally alien.

Nah, selfish is the right word.

It's exactly what 'true' pacifism is. All societies are founded on force, and abdicating that responsibility whilst almost always a sensible idea, breaks down when you take it to extremes.

You're unduly burdening everyone else through its practice.

TL,DR wrote:

i mentioned that I would not be able to live with myself with the blood of another on my hands, right?

'Cause that'd be a pretty big deal for me. To end the life of someone. Everyone has loved ones and i kinda can't disregard that.

you have loved ones, brainiac

ftOqU21.png
    TL,DR wrote:

Doesn't that mean you're placing the attacker's loved ones (which may or may not exist) over your own?

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Pony wrote:

Personally, i don't approve of people owning guns for the sake of personal protection because, well, i don't really see how guns "prevent" violent crime. Not in thesense that I don't believe people can shoot a home invader but more that I don't believe shooting a would-be invader prevents violence. But yeah, I wouldn't force people to change since it's a deeply personal issue of choosing non-violence.

I'll admit to something, however, i'd be nervous if a close friend would choose to carry a gun around. A gunfight can turn into a clusterfuck so quickly.

This sort of attitude is so far from my worldview, I really struggle to understand it. Would you not defend yourself if attacked?

Well, really, if someone is willing to kill me over my stuff, i'd rather not get in their way since i'm not willing to die so that my PS3 can go to my sister's boyfriend. Fact is, I'd rather die than kill another person.

Of course, it depends what you mean by "attack". If i'm mugged, i'll hand over my money. If someone wants to kill me out of anger or something, well... I don't know, i'm not willing to fight to the death, really.

if someone wants to just fight me? I don't think i ever had to fight someone in my life, don't really see how that could happen, but i guess i'd just take it.

Wow. Really?

It kind of does, yes. Really 21st you'd just stand there and let someone beat your ass, and be ok with that because you didn't add to the violence? You'd really stand aside as someone bashed in your sisters face, and not do anything?

If you came on someone in an alley getting raped, you wouldnt try to stop it yourself?

Uh, if someone bashed in my sister's face, i mentioned i'd be willing to sacrifice myself, didn't I?

but fine, i'm a selfish prick.

Kind of flip side of that.
    My wife asked me if someone murdered her if I'd kill them two nights ago. I said yes immediately. Like its not even a question. Some crimes are so horrible and personally devastating to me that I'm OK bypassing normal ethics or social norms. Fuck that guy, fuck the law, fuck ethics if you killed my wife, or something similar, the first decision would be how, not if.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    Abdhyius wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:

you have loved ones, brainiac

not a lot, to be quite honest.

spool32 wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Pony wrote:

Wow. Really?

Uh, if someone bashed in my sister's face, i mentioned i'd be willing to sacrifice myself, didn't I?

but fine, i'm a selfish prick.

you did say you wouldn't be able to fight - how are you unable to fight?

Just curious.

Ignore these other people, they have a tendency to get their hate on for viewpoints they disagree with.

ftOqU21.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:

but you'd let someone get raped

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Guys I'm gonna have to cut my rock star hair before the meet up :(

Nobody is talking about self-sacrifice. On the contrary, this seems to have become an examination of why you're so eager to sacrifice yourself at the behest of an assailant.

Ludious wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:

what the hell?

He didn't say that.

ftOqU21.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    21st, would it surprise you to know that I now feel the same about going somewhere with you, that you feel about going somewhere with an armed friend? It would seriously make me a bit nervous to go somewhere in public with you.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:
    Podly wrote:

This list, it is pure gold.
    George Michael (texan)
    Toby Keith (cowboy)
    Black People

I don't think the last one is a band, I've hard of the Black Kids, but not Black People.
    Scissor Sisters
    Turbonegro

Oscar Wilde is considered a "reformed homosexual" by these idiots?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Urgh, you guys are kinda annoying people right now

ftOqU21.png
    Ludious wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:

You're right. Good job, you won the argument.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    inaction is acceptance

TL,DR wrote:
    Nobody is talking about self-sacrifice. On the contrary, this seems to have become an examination of why you're so eager to sacrifice yourself at the behest of an assailant.

Or why you're willing to put the ethical and emotional burden of stopping a murderer through violence on someone else.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:

People can be weird. I've been in situations where I felt the most probable outcome of events was my death. In those times where only I was going to die, I've had the urge to live but by fleeing. In terms of fight or flight my reaction was flight. When others were at risk as well my reaction was fight. Long amounts of soul searching lead me to think I likely wouldn't kill to save my own life. But I would to save the life of another. I'm not a proponent of that for others, I don't expect or encourage non-violence in self defense situations with others.

We can discuss why but the simple answer is people are weird.

You guys feed on dumb arguments and hypotheticals don't you.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    am i missing fun times in here? stupid space suits costing me valuable forum drama time.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    This "Love God's Way" business is too Poe's Law for me. I just can't tell.

They're right about Coldplay, though.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hey Cass, can I borrow you on AIM if you're still around?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:

I suspect all the liberal hippies in here post while high on marijuana.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:

Rhetorical, eh? EIGHT!

spool32 wrote:
    21st, would it surprise you to know that I now feel the same about going somewhere with you, that you feel about going somewhere with an armed friend? It would seriously make me a bit nervous to go somewhere in public with you.

Geez, do you live in a warzone that you'd be nervous hanging around a guy willing to give his life to let you flee a dangerous situation?

Like, I'm a vegetarian. I feel very strongly about animal rights and animal suffering.

But if I'm shipwrecked, and it's me and a cow? The only question would be whether I could build a BBQ grill out of coconuts and conch shells.

I would rather be selfish through inaction than live on terrible hypotheticals. That is a fate worse than death.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote:
    TehSloth wrote:
    Podly wrote:

This list, it is pure gold.
    George Michael (texan)
    Toby Keith (cowboy)
    Black People

I don't think the last one is a band, I've hard of the Black Kids, but not Black People.
    Scissor Sisters
    Turbonegro

Well, those are both bands, and the first one at least is pretty reasonable to see on the list, although they are fantastic and put on a great live show.

Haven't really listened to much turbonegro because there's very little punk I like, but I remember seeing them on my old roommates mp3 player in his car.

There's a lot of bands there that I'm having a hard time remembering doing anything non-hetero-normative.

I mean, when I think of bands that might have some kind of gay agenda, the Spin Doctors certainly don't come to mind.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Sarksus wrote:

What would you say if I said 'yes'?

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    PantsB wrote:
    Kind of flip side of that.
    My wife asked me if someone murdered her if I'd kill them two nights ago. I said yes immediately. Like its not even a question. Some crimes are so horrible and personally devastating to me that I'm OK bypassing normal ethics or social norms. Fuck that guy, fuck the law, fuck ethics if you killed my wife, or something similar, the first decision would be how, not if.
    watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png?1320774627

Leitner on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:

I dunno, in my mind he's more an unarmed Secret Service agent, who's only option is to dive on every incoming bullet or knife. It's like that "I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you" joke.

nibXTE7.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I didn't know anyone in Turbonegro was gay. I'm not familiar with them so it isn't that surprising, but I saw them play with Queens of the Stone Age and there was nothing in their music or performance to suggest that they weren't all straight rockers.

This discussion has been closed.