As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Je Veux Te [Chat]

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    Like, I don't pretend to be a tough guy or anything, but everything

everything, from laws to logic to base animal instinct, supports extreme action when faced with 'kill or be killed'. I'm just really curious how someone comes to not just predict that they might fail to act toward that end in such a situation, but to actually be a proponent of that behavior.

People can be weird. I've been in situations where I felt the most probable outcome of events was my death. In those times where only I was going to die, I've had the urge to live but by fleeing. In terms of fight or flight my reaction was flight. When others were at risk as well my reaction was fight. Long amounts of soul searching lead me to think I likely wouldn't kill to save my own life. But I would to save the life of another. I'm not a proponent of that for others, I don't expect or encourage non-violence in self defense situations with others.

We can discuss why but the simple answer is people are weird.

I think fight or flight is a real instinct still present in people when in danger. There's physiological, empirical reactions. But often if one can't flee, the fight instinct actually redoubles and you have the cornered animal situation.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Hey Cass, can I borrow you on AIM if you're still around?

Yes okay.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    But "No don't rape her! Rape me!" doesn't work. They're going to kill you, then rape her.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    Nobody is talking about self-sacrifice. On the contrary, this seems to have become an examination of why you're so eager to sacrifice yourself at the behest of an assailant.

What do you want me to tell you? Please pretend i told you what you want me to tell you.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I'm not trying to be a prick about it. I mean im sure he'd call the cops, who would eventually show up and, assuming the woman survived, take her statement and try to catch the rapist.

But that is a very different thing than trying to help when it's clear that helping will require some violence.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Guys I'm gonna have to cut my rock star hair before the meet up :(

What.

Why?

WHY

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote:
    PantsB wrote:
    Kind of flip side of that.
    My wife asked me if someone murdered her if I'd kill them two nights ago. I said yes immediately. Like its not even a question. Some crimes are so horrible and personally devastating to me that I'm OK bypassing normal ethics or social norms. Fuck that guy, fuck the law, fuck ethics if you killed my wife, or something similar, the first decision would be how, not if.
    watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png?1320774627

I'm not saying I like the guy in Taken. There might be ineffective flailing in my attempts. I'm just saying I don't think I could take that kind of emotional hit and just absorb it in a rational and socially acceptable way.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    You know this is kind of weird but

I was doing self defense and shit to help me get over the post-rape trauma and it went really well, but the person training me told me that the women in his life were prepared to give up their lives if it meant not being hurt in that way

and man I don't know if I could do that

That is a big sacrifice to make.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Can you guys stop talking about how i'd react if i walked in on a rape please?

Especially when it's assumed the person being raped is my sister.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    How dare we make you question your faulty logic

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Alright conversation over
    mbpRi.jpg

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

What.

Why?

WHY

He wants to buy you a fancy watch-chain for Christmas.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I actually get 21st's side of this as I'm not so far removed. I'm not a fighter to the point that when I got beat up in school if I couldn't run, I pretty much just took it. I couldn't even tell you why. I'm not a pacifist, not by any stretch, but the choice to commit violence has not yet occurred to me is a situation like that. I'd like to think that if I saw someone getting raped that I would step in but I honestly don't know what I would do.

I'm a firm believer that guns shouldn't be banned, but I also don't believe a gun is something that people should be carrying around with them.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    It's starting to look like I'm the most peaceful person in [chat].

Again.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    You know this is kind of weird but

I was doing self defense and shit to help me get over the post-rape trauma and it went really well, but the person training me told me that the women in his life were prepared to give up their lives if it meant not being hurt in that way

and man I don't know if I could do that

That is a big sacrifice to make.

It's kind of one of those things where you can give whatever reasoning you want, but being in the situation is the only way you'll ever know the answer.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    spool32 wrote:
    21st, would it surprise you to know that I now feel the same about going somewhere with you, that you feel about going somewhere with an armed friend? It would seriously make me a bit nervous to go somewhere in public with you.

Geez, do you live in a warzone that you'd be nervous hanging around a guy willing to give his life to let you flee a dangerous situation?

No, dude. I live in a place where I'd feel obligated to help you, or other bystanders, and I now know that you will be utterly useless even when you are the one in danger. It'd be completely up to me no matter how screwed up the situation got. That's not a pleasant feeling at all.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I didn't know anyone in Turbonegro was gay. I'm not familiar with them so it isn't that surprising, but I saw them play with Queens of the Stone Age and there was nothing in their music or performance to suggest that they weren't all straight rockers.

too much denim

ftOqU21.png
    Ludious wrote:

What do you want me to tell you?

Seriously, Ludious, why are you always on my case like that? it's like you have something against me here.

fine, i'd rape a rapist with a gun, happy?

Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

What.

Why?

WHY

screw fancy watch-chain, keep the hair.

spool32 wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    21st, would it surprise you to know that I now feel the same about going somewhere with you, that you feel about going somewhere with an armed friend? It would seriously make me a bit nervous to go somewhere in public with you.

Geez, do you live in a warzone that you'd be nervous hanging around a guy willing to give his life to let you flee a dangerous situation?

No, dude. I live in a place where I'd feel obligated to help you, or other bystanders, and I now know that you will be utterly useless even when you are the one in danger. It'd be completely up to me no matter how screwed up the situation got. That's not a pleasant feeling at all.

Do you live in a warzone that every time you go outside, you're prepared to fight for your life?

spool32 wrote:
    spool32 wrote:

Do you live in a warzone that every time you go outside, you're prepared to fight for your life?

America, man

ftOqU21.png
    Ludious wrote:

Seriously, Ludious, why are you always on my case like that? it's like you have something against me here.

you're the worst kind of idealist. You say you're non violent, that you'd never harm another, that those people have family blah blah blah. What about the person getting hurt? What about the victim. Now turn that on yourself, what if you're the victim.

You value the perpetrator over the victim. Whether it's you or someone else doesn't matter. that's sick.

That's a sickness

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

What.

Why?

WHY

screw fancy watch-chain, keep the hair.

And do you like combs, Sarskus?

Why am I asking? Noreason!

Your little warzone line is such a fucking straw man.

Ludious wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

you're the worst kind of idealist. You say you're non violent, that you'd never harm another, that those people have family blah blah blah. What about the person getting hurt? What about the victim. Now turn that on yourself, what if you're the victim.

You value the perpetrator over the victim. Whether it's you or someone else doesn't matter. that's sick.

That's a sickness

Dude?

There's having some damn tact

and then there's you doing this.

What the hell, man.

ftOqU21.png
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    You guys feed on dumb arguments and hypotheticals don't you.

If Hitler came back as a zombie cyborg and ran for president as an Independent who supported legalizing marijuana would you still support gay marriage?

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    only downloading at 6.5mb/s

what is this? The third world? Stupid laptop not wanting to take 5.0ghz wireless cards :(

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Man, [chat] has been kind of bullshit today.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
    Ludious wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

That's a sickness

can you shut up, please?

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    spool32 wrote:

America, man

this isn't an american thing

this is a poor people thing that i guess you wouldn't understand

Organichu wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    spool32 wrote:

America, man

this isn't an american thing

this is a poor people thing that i guess you wouldn't understand

are these "poor people" an american specialty or what?

ftOqU21.png
    Actually, yeah, i'll leave instead. Maybe for a couple days, knowing Ludious 9who still made goddamn heatsink jokes for several days, ahyuck yuck, 21st can't mount a heatsink am i rite)

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Ludious's response to someone asking them to stop talking about their sister being raped: "you're sick in the head"

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Aww guys there was a cat picture and everything :(

TL DR on
    the only time I'd think it likely to get in a fight would be late friday/saturday night when everybody's drunk

but I'm such a charmer so no-one ever gets up in my business

ftOqU21.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    What the hell have I just stumbled across.

Actually, yeah, i'll leave instead. Maybe for a couple days, knowing Ludious 9who still made goddamn heatsink jokes for several days, ahyuck yuck, 21st can't mount a heatsink am i rite)

Just don't pay attention to him

spool32 wrote:
    spool32 wrote:

I just live in the world, where bad shit happens to people all the time. It doesn't take a war zone to find yourself in a dangerous situation. I don't go around primed for violence but nobody's immune.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hi, cha--

--wow.

Ludious, WTF?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.