As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sensational and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man cancelled

13»

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i dunno, i guess i just really dug peter having a close brotherly relationship for a change.

and when ben ran in front of the goblin glider to save peter...*tear*...rest easy...brother.

I...I'm gonna need a moment here...*sniff*

Guek on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That was a goddamn moment.

I was so shocked when I read it.

Ben as Spider-Man was what made me first start buying comics.

devoir on
  • Options
    MinkyUrungusMinkyUrungus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't know...When I found out that Peter was supposedly not Spider-Man I was devastated. It seriously screwed me up. Up was down, black was white and all that.

I do think Ben Reilly was a good character though. It's just that everyone was so in hate for all the clone sage business at the time that they had to make dumb-ass last-minute decisions to fix it (and then make a comic about the decision to make it look GENIUS!).

For anyone that wants to check it out though:

http://www.newcomicreviews.com/GHM/specials/LifeOfReilly/

I haven't really read much of it myself, but...if you wanna know anything about Ben Reilly I'm pretty sure this is the place.

And c'mon, Ben was the guy that uttered one of my favorite comic quotes of all time:

Ben Reilly[/B]: "Oh, man--I hope the terrific beating I've been giving to Venom's knuckles with my face is wearing him down some--"

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ben Reilly

I can't say I hate him. I hate the Clone Saga but Ben wasn't a terrible character. Everything surrounding him was.

It's like "Hey, lets introduce as pretty nice guy but do it in the most retarded way possible."

Algertman on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think for me, Ben brought back a bit more of the Spider-Man I could relate to and empathize with.

He was down on his luck, was out of his element and was just trying to do his best.

And in the end he gave everything.

*tear*

devoir on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah. When Ben was established as the "real" Spider-Man and Pete lost his powers and everything...Ben was really the old-school Peter Parker that Joe Q so badly wants nowadays. He had problems with dating and his job, but he was still all happy-go-lucky.He just, ya know, didn't have the Aunt May problems (after she died perfectly and beautifully in ASM #400). And he had...the bleached blonde hair.

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    It's follows the same storyline all three issues per month. Essentially, this will cut out all that "how does FNS and Sensational fit into continuity?" shit.

I'm actually kinda bummed about this, if only because FNS was pretty entertaining. Oh, and also because I have a subscription. However, I'm just gonna move my remaining issues over to She-Hulk, so it's all good. I also get ASM, so this just means I'll be renewing my subscription three times a year.

This is what always confused me about comic books like Spider-Man. How in the fuck are you supposed to keep up with the "Main storyline" when there's not just "Spider-Man" but "The Fantabulous Spider-Man", "Spider-Man Kicks Ass" and "Everybody Loves Spider-Man"? Are they seriously all the same continuity but like... Strangely enough put in differently titled publications? The fuck is up with that?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    With that kind of thing I just have to assume that they're all happening at slightly different times. An arc in FNS is happening a bit before, after, or in between an arc in ASM. It's just when something in FNS or Sensational is mentioned that implies it's happening during ASM when I panic and soil myself.

At that point I just come up with my own off-panel storyline to keep myself sane and satisfied. In fact I've read that Peter David has said that's pretty much the ONLY thing you can do. You have all these writers doing totally different things and not knowing what the others are doing (most of the writers NEVER see the others). I'm sure they could call up the editor or even the other writer to get an idea about current characters and stuff, but with that, who has the final say and whose decision counts more?

Well, I guess ASM would rule all there, but between FNS and Sensational...?

Or, hey, maybe some god-amongst-men has compiled an Absolute Chronology Timeline that details each comic (mini-series and one-shots included) in order. They've always mentioned attempting one at spiderfan.org.

There was this guy/gal that, not too long ago, ingeniusly explained how Astonishing X-Men works into current X-Continuity, but I forgot what thread it was in.

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I dont think Astonishing is all that hard to reconcile. The first 12 issues take place pre-House of M.

The second 12 issues take place after HoM.. probably just before Civil War. With its bi monthly schedule the stories seem really stretched out but really the stories themselves take place in very compact stretches of time.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man 35 Part series?

Dictionary.com definition of TL;DR - see this site here.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I read the Life of Reilly every now and then.

But it being TL;DR pretty much sums up what the entire clone saga was.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sexactly.

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    each issue will only be two pages long

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bendis will never touch it.

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    is that a venom kirby ^^^
    all my dicks are cumming

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Neliwood wrote: »
    is that a venom kirby ^^^
    all my dicks are cumming
    Bendis will never touch that either.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Heh (x2).

MinkyUrungus on
    Just this:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bogart wrote: »
    bobgorila wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    I think Spider-Man is a strong enough character that he can easily go on for another fifty years without re-establishing his secret identity. Unless you want to keep him in stasis as a high school kid living at aunt mays still and dating MJ while trying to balance school,work and crime fighting I say carry on (though there are a number of little annoying "recent events" that I'd like to see banished to the abyss).
    Isn't that what the Ultimate Universe is for?

Exactly.

It's also what Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane is for, and since Terry Goddamn Moore is taking over that book once Sean Goddamn McKeever leaves you should all be reading this as well.

Is it really that good? I've always sort of passed over it thinking it was some sort of attempt at getting girls (the ones who wouldn't typically be into comics in the first place) into reading them.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Your mileage may vary, but I think Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane is great. It's basically a high-school book, where the focus is on Mary Jane rather than Peter (at least at first), but McKeever absolutely nails it. It's sort of like the high-school bits of Ultimate Spider-Man all stuck together. Sure, it's designed to be accessible to a wider readship than normal, but that just means the teenage girls in it don't have F-Cup breasts and don't wear figure-hugging t-shirts. It's a sweet, charming book and frankly it's a fucking relief reading a Spider-Man where his biggest problem is which cute girl he's going to talk to.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looks like the first couple digests are only a few dollars, so I'll check it out.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857