As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World War Hulk Thread: Non-Retarded Version

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Question.

What makes Banner transform into the diffrent Hulks? Is that ever explained or is it sorta just the writer's choice of what story they want to tell.

The situation that creates the Hulk *state* varies. Really it's not about what makes him turn into each different Hulk, it's about everything the both of them go through to create or make dominant any particular Hulk persona.

So if Hulk/Banner wound up being sent through a situation that made him mad enough to give the full savage Hulk the forefront again, then he'd start turning into the Savage Hulk again. It's a complicated situation and is pretty much up to the writers discretion on what happens to cause the issues.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Question.

What makes Banner transform into the diffrent Hulks? Is that ever explained or is it sorta just the writer's choice of what story they want to tell.

The situation that creates the Hulk *state* varies. Really it's not about what makes him turn into each different Hulk, it's about everything the both of them go through to create or make dominant any particular Hulk persona.

So if Hulk/Banner wound up being sent through a situation that made him mad enough to give the full savage Hulk the forefront again, then he'd start turning into the Savage Hulk again. It's a complicated situation and is pretty much up to the writers discretion on what happens to cause the issues.

so like after WWH, if the next writer/arc wanted to bring back they Grey Hulk they could? It's more like each persona is in Banner's mind, its not an evolutionary process where each previous persona of the hulk builds upon the previous.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'll just say this about the previous thread, and then I'm done talking about it: god damn you motherfuckers who ruined my beautiful WWH thread. You know who you are. :x

Now, for WWH related stuff. Frontline was pretty good. This may or may not be a good thing, since CW:Frontline was pretty great until the last couple of issues. I'm hoping Jenkins doesn't send another series with potential into a full on trainwreck like he did last time. One thing I thought about Frontline, besides the somewhat blatant parallels to real world stuff, was that SHIELD and the US Army are seriously dropping the ball with the evacuation. I thought it was impressive in WWH #1, but it turns out they half-assed it.

WWH:X-Men was just entertaining in the vein of big ol' superhero fights. The New X-Men continue to be my second favorite X team, even if Gage went a little heavy on explaining the characters' motivations (I'm assuming for the people who don't read New X-Men). What Hulk did to Rockslide, and Rockslide's reaction, was pretty funny.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Now, for WWH related stuff. Frontline was pretty good. This may or may not be a good thing, since CW:Frontline was pretty great until the last couple of issues. I'm hoping Jenkins doesn't send another series with potential into a full on trainwreck like he did last time. One thing I thought about Frontline, besides the somewhat blatant parallels to real world stuff, was that SHIELD and the US Army are seriously dropping the ball with the evacuation. I thought it was impressive in WWH #1, but it turns out they half-assed it.

Also half-assed: Any editor control over the event to make the issues actually seem consistent. Also, Bush still hates black people apparently.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    How did She Hulk get her powers back? I thought she was Nanited. (is it just me or are a lot of problems in comics solved with nanties?)

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How did She Hulk get her powers back? I thought she was Nanited. (is it just me or are a lot of problems in comics solved with nanties?)
    For some reason, they didn't work. Probably because CHo has some antinanite spray or something.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    Htown wrote: »
    So here's why I hated Frontline.
    Apparently, the heroes only evacuated the non-black, non-poor areas of New York. Bullshit.

Nice to know that Frontline is skippable then, we thank anyone who spent money on it so I dont have to ;)

Points for utter realism! Welcome to racism, classism and tyrrany, internet.

graizur on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    For some reason, they didn't work. Probably because CHo has some antinanite spray or something.

I thought the thing that Cho did was only temporary because he wasn't sure she would pick his side. I figured that Stark had them deactivated when she showed up to help with the evac.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

But they worked for a little bit though didn't they?

Also, I don't really read singles so excuse me for asking a stupid question but. Have Reed and Spiderman, apparently She Hulk, and what look's like Luke Cage put their diffrences aside to fight along side each other against the Hulk?

And if so is WWH Marvel's sort of clever way of whiping Civil War off the map and returning to the pre-CW status quo just minus 1 Steve Rodgers?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Also, I don't really read singles so excuse me for asking a stupid question but. Have Reed and Spiderman, apparently She Hulk, and what look's like Luke Cage put their diffrences aside to fight along side each other against the Hulk?

And if so is WWH Marvel's sort of clever way of whiping Civil War off the map and returning to the pre-CW status quo just minus 1 Steve Rodgers?

I sure as hell hope not.

Most of the Heroes seem to be in NYC to help with the evacuation. If they fight the hulk I think (hope) its more because they were just there at the time, and Hulk is in a smash first, ask questions later mood.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

They're pretty much this generation's version of radiation, or cosmic rays.

Munch on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

I sure as hell hope not.

Most of the Heroes seem to be in NYC to help with the evacuation. If they fight the hulk I think (hope) its more because they were just there at the time, and Hulk is in a smash first, ask questions later mood.
    Except he is asking questions (Xavier) and will probably visit Atlantis. You know, Strange may be the one to defeat him, by honestly explaining what they were trying to do and why. Then the saboteur will be discovered. Maybe Ms. Marvel has to kill the Brood Again? And then they figure out exactly how the aliens will settle (possibly Genosha)

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I sure as hell hope not.

But what I am thinking is having the collective shit kicked out of them will help Reed/Tony and Peter/Whomever rekindle the magic. Sorta like a fishing trip with a father an son that havent spoken in years. Except, you know Manhatten will be destroyed.

Barring that I would like to see the Hulk get so mad that he actually destroys the 616 Universe and then the Ultimate Universe take over. [Note: I understand how much that would piss people off, but how cool would it be for that to actually happen. Talk about a Status Quo change.]

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

so like after WWH, if the next writer/arc wanted to bring back they Grey Hulk they could? It's more like each persona is in Banner's mind, its not an evolutionary process where each previous persona of the hulk builds upon the previous.

Sure, they could if they wanted to.. butI can't think of a single way they could do that well.

The Hulk persona's are a bit of both types you listed (static and evolutionary). There are some that are like a primal force, they are sections of his personality and self that are very basic. Others, like this new Hulk, or the Professor Hulk are more of an ongoing evolution... they are various mixes of other aspects of Banner/Hulk that exist in response to the situations he's been in.

So Mr Fixit could come back if Banner/Hulk were put into a situation that not only pushed the current Hulk persona to the back (or destroyed it entirely) while causing Fixit to come to the forefront.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Oh, and as for Shulkie.. yeah, Cho spiked her drink with some chemical designed to gum up Starks nanites. It wasn't a permanent fix but it was enough to let her overcome them when she faced against Doc Sampson.

As to the permaent one, either Cho sent it to her (which he said he could do), or the more likely is that she knows Bruce has the potential to tear shit up BADLY right now, and she offered to help get people out of NYC no questions asked.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    By the time the next episode of She-Hulk rolls around, Jen Walters has run out of the anti-nanite Gatorade Cho gave her and is back to being depowered and suing Tony Stark.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay, okay... DON'T skip WWH-Frontline. There is some cool stuff in there:
    Apparently someone killed Arch-E the robot and left him in a pile in the streets. Korg is working with local authorities to found out who did it. Could be important.

Also, Korg says 'Take me to your leader.'

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Okay, okay... DON'T skip WWH-Frontline. There is some cool stuff in there:
    Apparently someone killed Arch-E the robot and left him in a pile in the streets. Korg is working with local authorities to found out who did it. Could be important.

Also, Korg says 'Take me to your leader.'

DAMMIT.

Gotta buy now.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    WHAT?! But he was the most under-developed character of the bunch, and I thought he had potential.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    WHAT?! But he was the most under-developed character of the bunch, and I thought he had potential.

No kidding, where the hell did Arch-E even come from? Unless I missed a couple of panels while reading the comic, it seems like he just sorta shows up around the time they nab the stone starship.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    JCM said he was from a Marvel UK book, so maybe that origin would shed some light on things.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Arch-E was first spotted in the Maw, where Hulk saved him from a lava beast (mawkamagong, or whatever they're called). Later, he joins the crew and becomes Hulk's envoy to Sakaar's Wildebots. I don't know what appearences he's made in the Marvel U before Planet Hulk.
    He is a robot, remember, so they might be able to re-assemble him. But yeah.

Intrigue.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Arch-E was first spotted in the Maw, where Hulk saved him from a lava beast (mawkamagong, or whatever they're called). Later, he joins the crew and becomes Hulk's envoy to Sakaar's Wildebots. I don't know what appearences he's made in the Marvel U before Planet Hulk.
    He is a robot, remember, so they might be able to re-assemble him. But yeah.

Intrigue.

Intrigue was in the first few issues of CW Frontline as well, and it exploded into retardedness....

muninn on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

They have agreed to put aside differences in the face of the greater threat, but when Strange offers Tony the Secret Avengers help, Tony says he will offer pardons to any vigilante who helps in the evacuation and THEN TURNS THEMSELF IN.

There is zero chance of Spidey, Luke, etc turning themselves in.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

They have agreed to put aside differences in the face of the greater threat, but when Strange offers Tony the Secret Avengers help, Tony says he will offer pardons to any vigilante who helps in the evacuation and THEN TURNS THEMSELF IN.

See, here's the thing: it's getting increasingly ridiculous that these guys would prefer to be on the run, since we haven't got a case yet of the government sending a registered hero to do something he doesn't want to do....

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    See, here's the thing: it's getting increasingly ridiculous that these guys would prefer to be on the run, since we haven't got a case yet of the government sending a registered hero to do something he doesn't want to do....

What about when the government made Cloud 9 kill for them?

But it's not really a Hulk topic of discussion, so Civil War Thread?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I liked WWH:X-Men
    They actually had the teen x-men hold their own against hulk for a bit. Even if Santo did get his arms ripped off, that fight gives them a bit more street cred.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The last thing the New X-Men need to do is prove themselves, after all the shit they've fought through recently. It's a credit to them that they didn't even flinch at having to fight Hulk.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    The last thing the New X-Men need to do is prove themselves, after all the shit they've fought through recently. It's a credit to them that they didn't even flinch at having to fight Hulk.
    Not really. You don't blindly go into battle against the Hulk, or you get Smashed. Any decent tactician or strategist would know that.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Uh, no its not. There wasn't a case of that when they went on the run in the first place. These guys firmly believe that registration is a violation of thier rights. It's not like they are gonna wake up after a few months and say "Oh man, you know what, I'm gonna register." Luke, Peter and all the others are gonna fight this until thier last breath. Doing anything else would be "ridiculous" in how out of character it is.

That said, this discussion is not for this thread. Lets agree that WWH is almost certainly not going to be a CW reset button and talk more about Hulk smashing shit.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Except in the Initiative.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    X-Men WWH #2 needs 98 percent more Wolverine stabbing the shit out of the Hulk for being a big green emo fucknut taking his shit out on people who weren't even fucking involved.

august on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    X-Men WWH #2 needs 98 percent more Wolverine stabbing the shit out of the Hulk for being a big green emo fucknut taking his shit out on people who weren't even fucking involved.

Man all he wanted to do was talk to Xavier, Beast was the one all like "X-Men go fight this dude you have no fucking chance against."

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sounds stupid!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    august wrote: »

Man all he wanted to do was talk to Xavier, Beast was the one all like "X-Men go fight this dude you have no fucking chance against."
    That's a great way to extend the life of a species, McCoy!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Rahne's team took out The Hulk in one of those Danger Room simulations way back when Rahne was in the book. So did Laurie. Too bad they're pretty much all dead and/or depowered now.
    Yes, I know it's not anywhere near the same thing

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They're the X-Men. They defend Chuck from insurmountable odds all the time. Plus, who in their right fucking mind would think Hulk was just there to talk?

august on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love Hulk at the door, staring down at Beast. I keep imagining alternate lines for him.

"Hello sir, I'm here with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, could I have a moment of your time?"

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    I love Hulk at the door, staring down at Beast. I keep imagining alternate lines for him.

"Hello sir, I'm here with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, could I have a moment of your time?"

AVON SMASH!

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    By the time the next episode of She-Hulk rolls around, Jen Walters has run out of the anti-nanite Gatorade Cho gave her and is back to being depowered and suing Tony Stark.

Grape soda.
    SHEHULK019_int-2.jpg

Crimsondude on