As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames!

• Options
    AtroAtro Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    apotheos wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    Atro wrote:
    Does anyone know a place that ships to Canada to order any of the games in the OP online?

http://www.mindgames.ca/home.html

That store seems to have pretty lousy selection.

Try:
    http://www.jogocanada.com
    http://www.germangames.com
    http://www.levalet.com

The last is only really great for european imports like Pitchcar.

Thanks guys. These sites look perfect.

Atro on
    pyramidsig0ds.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Lately we've started playing more rpg'ish games, like Runebound and someotherone made by the same company that involves dungeons (Sorry, only played it once, I don't own it).
    Descent?

No. I'll ask my friend who owns it tonight if I see him online (he lives in Dallas now, I'm still in Houston).

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AntilleseAntillese Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Mah-Jongg is the latest game I've learnt to play and I must say I'm not dissapointed. It plays very similar to Rummy but with more awesome. Soon I'll be an elderly chinese man.
    You are truly my British doppelganger. I just bought a Mah-Jong set a few weeks ago. It is VERY similar to rummy and is pretty fun once you get over the divergent rulesets. I actually picked up a book on the game yesterday at Powell's.

Antillese on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Antillese wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Mah-Jongg is the latest game I've learnt to play and I must say I'm not dissapointed. It plays very similar to Rummy but with more awesome. Soon I'll be an elderly chinese man.
    You are truly my British doppelganger. I just bought a Mah-Jong set a few weeks ago. It is VERY similar to rummy and is pretty fun once you get over the divergent rulesets. I actually picked up a book on the game yesterday at Powell's.
    Heh. There has been a set in my house for years but I finally managed to maneouver somebody who could play near a set and two other people not long ago.
    The main problem with the game is the same as in Go and Backgammon. All instruction booklets have been translated between nine languages and lost all meaning in the process.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AntilleseAntillese Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Antillese wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Heh. There has been a set in my house for years but I finally managed to maneouver somebody who could play near a set and two other people not long ago.
    The main problem with the game is the same as in Go and Backgammon. All instruction booklets have been translated between nine languages and lost all meaning in the process.
    Actually, it's the American's fault. Became popular with the Air Force and there's a specific Air Force ruleset. However, that ruleset emphasizes the memorization of and going for specific "limit" hands where there are only a few limit hands in the classical game. I don't play by the Air Force ruleset, it's way too complicated.

Antillese on
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    RPG-ish game, w/ Dungeons, by FFG, that isn't Descent or Runebound?

Ummm...Cave Troll? Warcraft? World of Warcraft? Drakon?

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Antillese wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Antillese wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Actually, it's the American's fault. Became popular with the Air Force and there's a specific Air Force ruleset. However, that ruleset emphasizes the memorization of and going for specific "limit" hands where there are only a few limit hands in the classical game. I don't play by the Air Force ruleset, it's way too complicated.
    We didn't play with limit hands, although we did use double weaving and another non standard way to reach Mah-Jongg. As we were working off one guy's memory we may have got things a bit muddled, but I'm going to search the internet right now for a decent ruleset.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Shoegaze99 wrote:
    I love boardgames. Boardgames are awesome. Too bad life too often gets in the way of gathering folks together for an evening of gaming goodness. Really too bad, because goddamn those pics looks like delicious fun.

I always try to get people to play Robo Rally, but they're all "what the shit? a programming board game? let's play uno!!"

Don't get me wrong, I like Uno, but I like Robo Rally too. :(

I can usually get people to play Wiz-War though.

Holy crap! This game looks awesome. I'm seriously considering this even though the shipping is too expensive ($13 to get to CO).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Antillese wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Antillese wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    We didn't play with limit hands, although we did use double weaving and another non standard way to reach Mah-Jongg. As we were working off one guy's memory we may have got things a bit muddled, but I'm going to search the internet right now for a decent ruleset.

It is ironic: the more you talk, the less I ever want to play Mah-Jongg.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    apotheos wrote:
    It is ironic: the more you talk, the less I ever want to play Mah-Jongg.
    Oh, I doubt it'd appeal to everybody. I'm going to try to replace at least the occasional Poker Night with a Mah-Jongg Night though.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I want Imperium. My only problem is that I don't have any friends who would play with me. In fact, I have no less than 4 iterations of Risk (LotR, Star Wars, New, and then Old) as well as similar iterations of Stratego that go unplayed forever.

Then I was introduced to RTS games and somehow I'm on here, and now I want to get that fucking board game.

But here's a fun one - I've played a couple times. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1035 <- Can't find a better website.

Basically a long, drawn out squad combat game. You can equip your soldiers with better weapons, mostly a numbers battle. Not the best game ever, but fun if you're into that.

zeppelin on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I've played Carcassonne online and I really enjoy it, but I'm on the fence if I should buy it and try to get my friends and family into it. Scoring on the computer is easy and I just imagine arguments and heachaches in real life.

I'm sad to say that we used to play Munchkin, and probably spent near $200 on the expansions. Then I read some of the negative reviews and unfortunately agreed with them. :(

Ever since I've been searching for a game for my friends and maybe family that has smooth rules and decent strategy, and hopefully not $50 but I'll pay if it will bring hours of enjoyment.

I was thinking about Cleopatra as a family game since the pieces look fun and it doesn't seem too complicated.
    As for a game for my friends I've yet to find something that I think they'll get excited about. I tend to shy away from the RPG/heavy games like Twilight Imperium and Warrior Knights because my friends would just get on DoTA for something like that. I've contemplated Arkham Horror but I kind of go back to the same excuse, I think they'd rather play a tower defense game. Damn you electronic entertainment!!
    I don't mean that.

If you'd like an alternative to Uno I recommend King's Blood. Steve Jackson brought it over from Japan and it has cute anime-esque art and a theme that brings a little more strategy than Uno.

In my weak moments I find myself buying Pirates of _____ cards and Rocketmen packs, mainly because the ships look cool and I like to build simple things. The pirate ships get really repatative and while the rocket ships can too the sweetness of some of the models are worth it to me. Although I'll probably wake up soon and just throw them away...
    I've never played these games because the rules as they are seem boring and don't promote combat as much as I'd like and even with the modified rules I have in mind once again I go back to the "warcraft" excuse.

Any opinions on Through the Desert?

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    zeppelin wrote:
    I want Imperium. My only problem is that I don't have any friends who would play with me. In fact, I have no less than 4 iterations of Risk (LotR, Star Wars, New, and then Old) as well as similar iterations of Stratego that go unplayed forever.

Then I was introduced to RTS games and somehow I'm on here, and now I want to get that fucking board game.

Follow these steps
    1) Get in Car
    2) Buy Chloroform and rope
    3) Drive to FLGS
    4) But TI3
    5) Abduct five friends (if memory serves TI3 can be played with up to six and it's the best that way)
    6) Force them to play one game under threat of never seeing their families again

After one game they'll play of their own accord.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    zeppelin wrote:

Follow these steps
    1) Get in Car
    3) Drive to FLGS
    4) But TI3
    5) Abduct five friends (if memory serves TI3 can be played with up to six and it's the best that way)
    6) Force them to play one game under threat of never seeing their families again

Wait wait wait, what does 3 stand for?

But I've got the chloroform and rope already.

zeppelin on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    zeppelin wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    zeppelin wrote:

Follow these steps
    1) Get in Car
    3) Drive to FLGS
    4) But TI3

Friendly Local Gaming Store. As opposed to bookshops (the only other place in the world that sell boardgames, it seems) where the staff are clueless about what they sell.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Does this count?
    bbowlcon.gif

Blood Bowl is one of the best board games I've played, although admittedly my experience of the likes of Settlers of Catan and Axis and Allies is pretty much non-existant. I'm having great fun playing it online against the guys in the Blood Bowl Game On thread.

Speaking of GW board games, is Talisman worth buying? I remember thinking it looked awesome when I was 12 and now that we have this "internet" it is within my reach.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    zeppelin wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    zeppelin wrote:

Follow these steps
    1) Get in Car
    3) Drive to FLGS
    4) But TI3

Friendly Local Gaming Store. As opposed to bookshops (the only other place in the world that sell boardgames, it seems) where the staff are clueless about what they sell.

Got it. Well considering $80 is a lot, I'll wait till college and find people who play long 24+ hours of Risk. *wetdream*

zeppelin on
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    Does this count?
    bbowlcon.gif

Yes! Yes, a thousand times yes!

Bloodbowl is the most awesome to ever be conceived by mankind.

LightReaper on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Yes! Yes, a thousand times yes!

Bloodbowl is the most awesome to ever be conceived by mankind.

You won't be saying that after my Xochiloc Chokers squash your puny Humans in the PA Cup.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Blokus!

14089.jpg

blokus_DSC0006.jpg

Tetris + Go = Blokus = Sheer Awesome

also, you can play online, which I would totally do if other people are into this game.

I don't know what that is, but it looks awesome.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Blokus is awesome. Very easy to learn/teach/play, and a game only lasts 30 minutes or so. Each player has a set of pieces (one color), that contain all shapes possibly created when using 1-5 squares. On your turn, you play a piece on the board. The restrictions/rules are that your piece MUST touch another piece of your color, BUT must not touch edge-to-edge. I.e., they must touch on the diagonal.

That's it. Amazingly simple, really cool game. Great w/ 4 players.

As for RoboRally, yes, it's cool. It's also a player-elimination game, so someone may get knocked out early (or fall WAY behind), and not enjoy the last 60 minutes or so of the game. But it's cool, geeky, and fun. Get it. It's available at Toys R Us, if you have no FLGS or are afraid of e-tailers.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    A short while ago one my my friends introduced our group to Settlers of Catan and I just love it. It's just one of those fun games we bust out when we get a little tired of playing Super Smash Brothers Melee.

For a while now my friend has been contemplating of whether he should purchase Starfarers of Catan since our group is much more into sci-fi themed games but we're all not really sure on the quality and fun this game can bring that Settlers of Cattan cannot.

I also really want to pick up Chrononauts one day. It seems like it would be a blast to play.

Now this question might be somewhat difficult to answer but I remember reading about some card game (think it was CCG) that was considered pretty "wacky" in that you'd have robots fighting ninjas finghting monkeys or something. I can't really remember much about it at all but it seemed that it would be fairly enjoyable when I last heard of it.

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Antillese wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

If there are more people interested, I know there are several places you can play online and I would love to learn :) Should get a game on going!

Aoi on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    The_Dciple wrote:
    Now this question might be somewhat difficult to answer but I remember reading about some card game (think it was CCG) that was considered pretty "wacky" in that you'd have robots fighting ninjas finghting monkeys or something. I can't really remember much about it at all but it seemed that it would be fairly enjoyable when I last heard of it.

Sounds like you're talking about Monkey, Ninja, Pirate, Robot which isn't a CCG but rather a free printable game that uses single sheets of paper. The DX version has 5 more "characters" and cost $5. There is an RPG ruleset as well.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Aoi wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    Antillese wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:

If there are more people interested, I know there are several places you can play online and I would love to learn :) Should get a game on going!
    If we could find something with voicechat and my connection stops playing up then I'd enjoy that.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Wow those fuckers at Origins just seem to want to make this convention as difficult as humanly possible to enjoy if you just want to open game.

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    InitialDK wrote:
    The_Dciple wrote:

Sounds like you're talking about Monkey, Ninja, Pirate, Robot which isn't a CCG but rather a free printable game that uses single sheets of paper. The DX version has 5 more "characters" and cost $5. There is an RPG ruleset as well.

Sadly that's not it.

I'm sure it's a CCG, I just used "robots fighting ninjas finghting monkeys " because I can't even remotely remember what the game was about.

Thanks anyways.

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    The_Dciple wrote:
    InitialDK wrote:
    The_Dciple wrote:

Sadly that's not it.

I'm sure it's a CCG, I just used "robots fighting ninjas finghting monkeys " because I can't even remotely remember what the game was about.

Thanks anyways.
    Was it a UFS game? The whole point of that was the crazy inter-league play.

Like the Cardboard Tube Samurai versus Guile.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Bamelin wrote:
    I've always wanted to try Robo Rally:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20050708a

Anyone know if it's any good?

It's double plus fun, if you can get people to learn it. It does need a lot of logic based planning, which is harder for some people than you might expect.

And yes, it's hard to find. The reprints that exist aren't anywhere near the same quality as original releases. Good enough if you just want to play it, but if you're a collector or anything you'll be left wanting.

xzzy on
  • Options
    GnusGnus Registered User new member
    edited June 2006
    Forar wrote:
    If you've got 2-4 friends around (though it's best with everyone on one character), Heroquest and the expansions make for a great way to kill time. Played through most of the first game a long time ago, and while I've never had the opportunity to pick it back up, I've always wanted to get some people together and tear it up again.

YES! I used to love that game! I think it may even be somewhere in my closet still. Good call.

Gnus on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    The_Dciple wrote:
    InitialDK wrote:
    The_Dciple wrote:

Sadly that's not it.

Thanks anyways.

Nope.

Ah forget it, I can't remember at all what the game is about.

I'm starting to look retarded.

But thanks for the help anyways.

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    xzzy wrote:
    Bamelin wrote:
    I've always wanted to try Robo Rally:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/article/ah20050708a

Anyone know if it's any good?

It's double plus fun, if you can get people to learn it. It does need a lot of logic based planning, which is harder for some people than you might expect.

And yes, it's hard to find. The reprints that exist aren't anywhere near the same quality as original releases. Good enough if you just want to play it, but if you're a collector or anything you'll be left wanting.

I owned the original release. The pewter figures were quite nice. Unfortunately, it disappeared somewhere between graduating college and landing a job in the real world.

Chrononauts is also quite good. I still have my deck Xxxenophile is also good for a few laughs (Foglio's one of my favorite artists).

Dammit. Now I want to go grab the 2004 edition of A&A and look for 4-6 people to play with. Unfortunately, I know of no one in the area that's not a die hard going-to-kick-your-ass game nut.

Seriously, the last time I played in any group locally, I got to watch a grown man yell at his eight year old son for making them lose a team game of A&A. Fuck that shit.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited June 2006
    Through the Desert - AKA Durch die Wuste, by Reiner Knizia. Pretty straightforward game, almost Go-like. Comes with tons of tiny little candy-looking camels. Yum!

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    GnusGnus Registered User new member
    edited June 2006
    I've been playing Scrabble a lot with my roommates. Good times. Even better once we have a few drinks. Words become more "fun."

Gnus on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    b8_1_b.JPG

A game so rare the only image I could find was that crap.

Basically, its a yound childrens board game, but mark my fucking words, if you are a parent, you will sweat beads of true fear.

Basically, a motorized shark moves around the curcular board, his mouth opening and closing each square. You roll dice in turn to move around the board. Last one alive wins.

Its fucking intense.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    The_Dciple wrote:
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    The_Dciple wrote:
    InitialDK wrote:
    The_Dciple wrote:

Sadly that's not it.

Thanks anyways.

Nope.

Ah forget it, I can't remember at all what the game is about.

I'm starting to look retarded.

But thanks for the help anyways.

Shadowfist?

wateyad on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2006
    The_Dciple wrote:

Sadly that's not it.

Thanks anyways.

Aaaah, you mean ninjas fighting robot monkeys. You talk of the prince of collectable card gaming Shadowfist. The only game where a demon hoard armed with shotguns can be stopped by Wong Fei Hong and his famous No Shadow Kick - in a Sports Car.

It's an awesome, awesome game.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    AWinnerIsYouAWinnerIsYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    Apples To Apples, hands down, is definitely the most fun I've had in a long time. Especially when you get words like "Frozen" and play Center of the Sun. One time the word was "Awesome" and I played Hellen Keller and someone else played Charging Rhinos.. That was a classic hand. What's great about it is that the game can be funny in a lot different ways for a lot of different people.

Also, when I was a youngin', I played dark%20tower.jpg a lot. It featured a circular board with different realms, and you had to go to different places and fight battles and buy stuff and collect keys, etc. etc., so you could assault the Dark Tower. The best part was the tower itself, a big electronic monstrosity that towered over the board.
    dtgamelq.jpg
    The Challenge: to retrieve the Ancient Magic Scepter that has been stolen by a tyrant king. The Scepter is the Power Staff of the Empire, and a kingdom has been offered as reward for its return. The Scepter lies hidden in the Dark Tower, guarded by a fierce band of the tyrant's Brigands. Three magic keys will open the the tower to you. Find the keys in three foreign kingdoms, and you may lay siege to the Dark Tower.
    I found this website: http://well-of-souls.com/tower/index.html
    That sums it up pretty well. Great game.

AWinnerIsYou on
    "It's like a pterodactyl from a gay Jurassic Park."
  • Options
    paulskpaulsk Registered User new member
    edited June 2006
    A Game of Thrones is excellent: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/agotbg.html

pic60127.jpg

It uses a movement mechanic similar to the orders used in Diplomacy, but it is much smoother and faster paced. It makes an great 5 player game, but there are balance issues if you only have 4 players and a faction goes unused. The game also has some balance issues about the dominating nature of sea power, but those are be house ruled, and are alleviated in the Clash of Kings expansion (which adds 6th playable faction) http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/va06.html.

One reason this game is great is because it was designed by Christian T. Peterson, who also designed Twilight Imperium. TI 3rd edition is a wonderland grand strategy game and it can keep 6 people hangling, wrining hands, and exterminating each others alien races for hours. Good Times.

paulsk on
    Dulce et decorum est pro Remedial mori
    fatbeesm4om.png
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2006
    I'll second the vote for Kingsblood. It has a regular spot at game night, along with Dalmuti and The Big Idea.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.