As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stuff I made

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's really awesome, Jeffe.

This thread is good and inspiring. I used to have a lot of fun being creative as a child; it's a shame how time and inclination diminish as one grows older (well, in my case, at least).

EDIT: I'm probably most impressed by the rhymes :)

Janson on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jeff - Wow.

I have nothing around that I've made. Though perhaps our small balcony garden counts - our plants are climbing all over stuff like crazy.

If anything, this thread might make me finally get around to picking up the materials for the chess/checkers board I've always wanted to make with ceramic tiles.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Janson wrote: »

This thread is good and inspiring. I used to have a lot of fun being creative as a child; it's a shame how time and inclination diminish as one grows older (well, in my case, at least).

I'm in the same boat - as I've gotten older I've found that I use the right half of my brain less and less. Which is why as of late I've been trying to come up with various little projects to do that don't involve my normal repitoire of automobile/outdoors/welding/woodworking type projects and are a little on the artsy side. For instance, the other week I bought a bunch of cheap frames and made a rasterbation of Johnny Ramone on nice paper and framed it on a barren wall in my apartment.

This weekend I think I'm going to make a stab at making some Sonic coasters. Now I just need to find a good sprite of sonic's head.

Jeff - that is really awesome.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's amazing. If you don't mind sharing the details - how did you make it? It looks like maybe the text & borders were printed and the artwork drawn in? Is it laminated? How is it held together?

I would LOVE to do something similar, maybe Starwars themed, for Luke's birthday in Sept (although as he shares a birthday with the Dreamcast I suppose game related would be appropriate too!)

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »

I'm in the same boat - as I've gotten older I've found that I use the right half of my brain less and less. Which is why as of late I've been trying to come up with various little projects to do that don't involve my normal repitoire of automobile/outdoors/welding/woodworking type projects and are a little on the artsy side. For instance, the other week I bought a bunch of cheap frames and made a rasterbation of Johnny Ramone on nice paper and framed it on a barren wall in my apartment.

This weekend I think I'm going to make a stab at making some Sonic coasters. Now I just need to find a good sprite of sonic's head.

Making stuff rocks. Even if your first few attempts are ass, it's so worth the time.

For our one year anniversary I'm making my wife a scrapbook. I've saved every movie ticket, receipt, brochure, etc from everything we've done and I'm going to plot out a month by month recap of our first year together. Since I keep hearing people say "I need to do something", I just have to say "get up and do it".

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I expected the Xbox joke, but I still laughed.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    It's amazing. If you don't mind sharing the details - how did you make it? It looks like maybe the text & borders were printed and the artwork drawn in? Is it laminated? How is it held together?

The link I posted explains how the actual book was constructed. As to the actual artwork, I drew the pictures by hand in pencil, then scanned them in and colored them in Photoshop. I used a brush tool that looks pretty much like a crayon scribble, and colored everything in that way. Made the border the same way, and then super-imposed it over every page. That was the fun part. Making the book itself was fairly tedious, but still very worth it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Maddie was reading it a little too enthusiastically yesterday, and now it needs some serious repair work.

That's the thing that concerns me. My son will probably eat it.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    These are pretty awesome.

...I might go out and do this.

...with the character in my avatar. :P
    Who is that character anyway? I've been wondering for like half a year.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That is the coolest thing ever.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Way to make the rest of us look bad Jeffe

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    These are pretty awesome.

...I might go out and do this.

...with the character in my avatar. :P
    Who is that character anyway? I've been wondering for like half a year.

He doesn't have a name, as such (or rather, you can name him whatever you want in the game). He's the Wizard version of the "Hero" character in Quest For Glory II.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Way to make the rest of us look bad Jeffe

I do what I can.

The book-making part really isn't hard. It cost about $30 in materials, but I could make about 4 books out of that. And hell, if anyone wants to recreate it on their own time and dime, I can send them the PSDs.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Oh my God, I didn't expect it to be that great.

When I grow up, I want to be ElJeffe's daughter, so I'd be all pampered.

Jeffe ftw!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe, ryuprecht, those things look incredible. I'm impressed. I wish I had patience and skill to do things like this.

The best I ever managed is to photoshop pictures of me so that I don't look like I'm about to eat people's souls.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    The best I ever managed is to photoshop pictures of me so that I don't look like I'm about to eat people's souls.

I've seen pictures of you, and that is no small feat.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    There's backhanded, and then there's Jeffe.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jeffe, that book is absolutely adorable.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jeffe that is the awesomest thing ever.

Ever.

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jeffe that is the awesomest thing ever.

Ever.

Have you seen his daughter?

Watch out! She will cut you!!

LaOs on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Stuff I did!

T-shirt mod (which I later shrank in the dryer on accident, arrrgh):
    p4230028iz8.th.jpg

Halloween costumes:
    n2319375149252986183zw3.th.jpg

When Mr. DG gets home from his business trip, I will have to take a picture of him in the Jayne hat I made for him. Maybe I'll take a picture of some of the scarfs or afghans I've made, too - any other knitters here?

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Frankie is a knitting addict.

Here is her blog. I can't fucking keep up with all that stuff she does. She did knit me a kimono though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    That book is fantastic Jeffe. You should seriously think about getting a hundred or so printed and selling them on ebay. I think you'd do well!

Frankie does good work, Will. Wish I wasn't so clumsy, never quite got the hang of knitting.

I'll maybe post some crossstitch if I can get my camera to work :P thing is, the patterns I've bought in the past are pretty twee - I do them because I like the action of stitching more than the end result. Ah well, some aren't too bad.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

Here is her blog. I can't fucking keep up with all that stuff she does. She did knit me a kimono though.

Holy butts I love the v-neck sweater she posted on April 15. It looks great, especially in that color. Is there any chance I could wheedle the pattern out of her? :)

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, should I post my silly digitally artistic things here, or is this crafts only?

yalborap on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm totally posting some pics of the stone work I've done after work.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »

Holy butts I love the v-neck sweater she posted on April 15. It looks great, especially in that color. Is there any chance I could wheedle the pattern out of her? :)

I'm positive that she would be flattered and overjoyed to share it with you. I'll ask her to send the pattern along or to post it or something.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I should mention that she actually made a book out of various knitting patterns that she's culled from various sources. I wish I could post it here, because it's extremely impressive and well-done; she's a graphic designer professionally, and does some really fantastic work. I've been on her to try to get it published or something, though I think she was talking with Shinto's wife about having Mrs. Shinto bind it.

Also I should mention that Mrs. Shinto's bookbinding is really fantastic.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Clever does not rhyme with fever. Book fails.

Just kidding. That's way awesome. Fuck eBay, talk to a publisher. You'd run into to IP issues perhaps, though.

Yar on
  • Options
    ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This is not as creative or cool as Jeffes stuff but,

it did keep me in ramen and rent right after college and I was a pretty fair hand at it

This is one section of a ton (well more than a ton probably) of granite I helped install at some rich guys house. I did everything in this pic, cutting, polishing, and fitting the finished peices together. I cut the hole out for the sink freehand using a grinder fitted with a diamond blade on site.
    stone1hm2.jpg

Here's the whole kitchen.
    stone2it5.jpg

This house also had six bathrooms and a laundry room also done in matching stone.

Oh, and if anybody out there is thinking about getting granite put in or is in the process and thinks the contractor is trying to pull something drop me a PM.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, that's some nice work. I wouldn't put it on the walls as well as the benchtops myself, but its a damn fine job all the same.

Just realised all the stuff I've completed is at my parent's place, but here are the patterns I've used in the last few years:
    06870.jpg

06903.jpg

06906.jpg

06912.jpg

Working on this one at the moment:
    35063.jpg

its over twice the size of the ones above, so its taking a while. And yeah, the patterns are pretty awful*, but they're miles better than most other companies in terms of complexity, and I find the action of sewing calming. I'd like to move on to designing my own stuff eventually so that I don't have to be embarrassed by posting this stuff :P

*though not as bad as the Popes pattern, check the website for lulz!

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Can't wait to see the actual results.

As for me, I need to do more creative stuff. I've been toying with Illustrator, but I can hardly do anything good with it.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    This is one section of a ton (well more than a ton probably) of granite I helped install at some rich guys house. I did everything in this pic, cutting, polishing, and fitting the finished peices together. I cut the hole out for the sink freehand using a grinder fitted with a diamond blade on site.

This is the part where you tell me you're going to redo my kitchen for me.

That's some pretty slick work, there.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ALocksly wrote: »
    This is not as creative or cool as Jeffes stuff but,

it did keep me in ramen and rent right after college and I was a pretty fair hand at it

I give mad props to people with skills like that. Great job. Seriously. I couldn't hang a fucking shelf if my life depended on it, so I have infinite respect for craftsmanship like this.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    That's hella cool, Jeffe.

It's nice that you let Maddie do the drawings, too. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've made, too - any other knitters here?

I vote we trash the MMO forum, and create a knitters forum!

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    That's hella cool, Jeffe.

It's nice that you let Maddie do the drawings, too. :P

I was careful to pick an artistic style that masked the fact that I have no artistic skill.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »
    I've made, too - any other knitters here?

I vote we trash the MMO forum, and create a knitters forum!

And we'll have a podcast about knitting!

yalborap on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    The bad part is, I don't know what to do with them. They look stupid in my office at work, and my wife doesn't want me putting them up around the house ("that would look cool...if we were 20 and in college still.")

The Mario, pipe and megaman were taken from pictures other people did before. I practiced with them. The Black Mage, Chrono and metroid were my own, taken from screen grabs and sprite picts. I had to redo some colors on my own, especially with Chrono.

Clearly you should create the entire cast of FFVI, put them all in a heavily padded UPS box and then send them all to me. I'll give them a loving home. :P

And that book is brillant Jeffe. I'm seriously considering asking you for the files so I can create a copy to give to some friends who are expecting a baby in Sept.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    The bad part is, I don't know what to do with them. They look stupid in my office at work, and my wife doesn't want me putting them up around the house ("that would look cool...if we were 20 and in college still.")

The Mario, pipe and megaman were taken from pictures other people did before. I practiced with them. The Black Mage, Chrono and metroid were my own, taken from screen grabs and sprite picts. I had to redo some colors on my own, especially with Chrono.

Clearly you should create the entire cast of FFVI, put them all in a heavily padded UPS box and then send them all to me. I'll give them a loving home. :P

And that book is brillant Jeffe. I'm seriously considering asking you for the files so I can create a copy to give to some friends who are expecting a baby in Sept.

Nice idea, but a day late and a dollar short. My newest plan was concocted last night. I bought 40,000 more beads and I mapped out a plan to fill a wall in my 4 year old's room with a scene from Super Mario Brothers.

Maybe I'll post pictures as it comes together.

ryuprecht on