As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    Where were you looking when you were lifting? Sometimes your head position can cause neck tweaks, like if you were looking up or to the side or something.

Guys that have done 5-3-1 and I guess any program where you pick your own assistance exercises, do you pick ones that go with your main lift or ones that are the opposite? Like on the day you bench, would you do incline DB bench and close grip or RDLs and leg press?

Depends on your goals, Peen. If you're shooting for bodybuilding, then assistance work is usually just for the one bodypart and in the hypertrophy range. If you're shooting for strength, mix it up. There are templates floating around on bodybuilding.com that do either.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    if i had the time (i could make time, it is mostly motivation i find) to go back to football lifting

twice a day

big lifts early auxiliary lifts later in the afternoon/evening with cardio and abs thrown in

i think that is a goal to work towards

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm focusing more on strength but I've been running some of my assistance exercises in a higher range to try to get some hypertrophy done. Thing is, after a heavy squat or deadlift day I'm dead for assistance stuff, I try to do split squats or RDLs and my body's like nah and I don't get the work done that I want to. I've seen people do it both days and I was curious about what folks around here do.

Right now I'm thinking I'm going to switch RDLs to squat day and split squats to deadlift day to see if that works.

Edit: DL I can't express how much I want a home gym where I can go pick up some weight whenever I dang well feel like it. Gonna be so hooooge.

Peen on
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    I lift heavy for 5-3-1 and do hypertrophy assistance for one bodypart. I can post my routine later. Last night, I pulled 345 for my +1 day and then proceeded to wail on my back. It's hard as balls sometimes, but I get through it.

I don't have a kid to deal with like you do, though.

i miss doing those 10 sets of deadlifts i was doing a while back (april 2009)

goddamn i was doing some shit i tell ya

As I'm thinking about it I probably just need to stop trying to have it both ways and decide whether I'm doing hypertrophy or strength. If I'm getting swole then I can back the weight off and focus on reps, if I'm doing strength then I can back the reps down and focus on big weights.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    fucking neck

poo
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Don't fuck necks

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Unless they are giraffe necks. That's a lot of sexual real estate.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I feel like shazkar....tweaked my shoulder this morning on the last rep of shoulder presses...ha
    I was still able to finish out the workout but I had to lower some weights.

Meh, should be fine within a few days.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    So I just realized, since I do the math for the plates in my head and I only think about the plates, I've been forgetting to add the weight of the bar to my deadlift total. +45 for free 8-)

Today 235# 1x4 (and then one more squeaked out a little later for good measure)

My bench and OHP still suck. Need to get off my ass and figure out a new routine, damn this laziness.

edited December 2011
    BEAST! wrote:
    I feel like shazkar....tweaked my shoulder this morning on the last rep of shoulder presses...ha
    I was still able to finish out the workout but I had to lower some weights.

Meh, should be fine within a few days.
    My neck now mostly hurts when I sleep. (or look a certain way). Which is annoying...

I think I'll still deadlift today, I don't think my neck should be a problem there as long as I keep my form right.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Feeling pretty fucking good today.

I work in an underground mine and we have what are called escapeways. They're ladders that extend from the bottom of the mine all the way to the surface that you'd use in the event of a mine collapse, a fire or something else really shithouse.

Today I was able to climb the 200m all the way to the top in full firefighting gear with a casualty (just a dummy) in a stretcher, tied to me and another guy. I tell you what, I wanted to die by the time I hit the surface but now I'm feeling like an absolute boss.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    285 x 3 deadlift
    why not 5? cuz i don't eat enough probably

but hey i am getting close to 2xBW

poo
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    fuck you shazkar

bleh, my legs have gotten weak as a crap over the last month and a half, BLEEEEHHHH....after the new year i guess i will really start leg lifting a lot again....really deadlifted again for the first time on tuesday and my lower back is hard as a fucking rock still

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    well
    you can bench and press more than me, i suck at that

poo
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Might be time to try out 5/3/1 soon, since progressive loading seems to be slowly failing me.

(or I failing it)

ninzorjons on
    "Be excellent to each other."
    Tef wrote:

I work in an underground mine and we have what are called escapeways. They're ladders that extend from the bottom of the mine all the way to the surface that you'd use in the event of a mine collapse, a fire or something else really shithouse.

Today I was able to climb the 200m all the way to the top in full firefighting gear with a casualty (just a dummy) in a stretcher, tied to me and another guy. I tell you what, I wanted to die by the time I hit the surface but now I'm feeling like an absolute boss.

that sounds pretty fucking tough but good job man

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:

that sounds pretty fucking tough but good job man

Yeah that sounds awesome. Legs would be screaming by the end of that.

I just nailed a very satisfying squat day. 56 reps at 140kg beltless. Sets of 4, 4, 4, 3, 5, 7, 9, 8, 6, 6.

Don't ask me how this program works because I have no fucking clue. I think Boris Sheiko was actually just a mad Russian.

• EmruggsEmruggs Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, the success of Sheiko depends entirely on the lack of sanity necessary to complete the cycle. Even the "easier" cycles are just nuts.

It's like, "Oh hey, you finished? Well, here you go! Have some more strength!"

steam_sig.png
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Hmm... I think I'll try starting with a wider grip from bench set #1 next week. Switched to a slightly wider grip after I'd already exhausted myself, just to see how it felt. Couldn't really feel the difference, but I was also fatigued by then. I've always just benched and OHP'd with my hands one thumb-length out from the knurling, but I noticed today that my forearms were at an angle coming up from the bottom, which apparently isn't ideal.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    A buddy of mine sent this to me the other day, thought you all might want to check it out. Would be good in the OP for women interested in fitness and all that.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Yep it was because I actually realised that I had to do workouts that weren't just arms, chest and back. I've started a bit of a Church of Latter Day Squatters in our gym now which is good.

People now realise it's not ok to hog the one and only squat rack to do upright rows

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    ninzorjons wrote:
    Might be time to try out 5/3/1 soon, since progressive loading seems to be slowly failing me.

(or I failing it)

If you do decide to try it I've got a spreadsheet that I could send you where you plug in your 1RMs and it calculates the rest of the cycle for you. I hate excel formulas, finding that thing was a godsend.

Tef wrote:
    Yep it was because I actually realised that I had to do workouts that weren't just arms, chest and back. I've started a bit of a Chirch of Latter Day Squatters in our gym now which is good.

People now realise it's not ok to hog the one and only squat rack to do upright rows
    I had a guy ask me if I was done using the squat rack. I had one more set to go, so I told him, finished, and then started setting up the empty cage that is right next to the squat rack and wasn't in use the entire time for my overhead press thinking "Man it's nice to see other people doing squats"... and the guy starts using the squat rack for overhead press.

Now, this was a bit of a buzz. No-one at work has seen me in anything but suit, shirt, tie for 12 months now. I turned up to our christmas dinner in a t-shirt and no less than half a dozen people told me I was massive, trim and looking good. "How much have you put on in the last year anyway?"

"500 grams."

That's it. Suddenly everyone thinks I'm a big man. Only half a kilo heavier but now I'm apparently a completely different shape (and +95kg on my total). Pretty damn happy about that one. Non stop sheiko since February for the win.

• SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    So after slacking off for gods knows how long and losing all of my progress, I have begun going to the gym again before work. Heres my routine:

Day A:
    3x5 Squats
    3x5 Bench Press
    3x10 Leg Extensions
    3x10 DB Flies

Day B:
    3x5 DL
    3x5 OHP
    3x10 Glute-Ham Raises
    3x10 DB Rows

So far I'm loving it and it only takes a little less than an hour to finish. Although, I'm sure as I go up in weight I will need more time to rest between sets (especially squats and DL - which I'm starting at pathetically low weights to ensure my form is perfect).

Only took 6 workouts back into Sheiko before I finally finished all of the required reps. Now excuse my while my lower back disintegrates. I must not be eating enough or something because these workouts are far, far harder than I remember even given the jump in squat max I think my squat max changed ~30lbs. from the last time I did Sheiko back in the summer, so that definitely factors in too but damn.

steam_sig.png
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    if i had the time (i could make time, it is mostly motivation i find) to go back to football lifting

twice a day

big lifts early auxiliary lifts later in the afternoon/evening with cardio and abs thrown in

i think that is a goal to work towards

This sounds

amaaaaaaaaazing

On another note, I haven't really done legs in so so long...like years. I've just now been getting back into it and my whole lower body feels constantly dead but it is such a nice feeling. My deadlift is down to 225 :( but it's climbing.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I want to take a break from Olympic Lifting for a while because it's doing my head in, but I can't think of a sensitive way to say that to my coach who spends a lot of time writing programs for me.

Emruggs wrote:
    Only took 6 workouts back into Sheiko before I finally finished all of the required reps. Now excuse my while my lower back disintegrates. I must not be eating enough or something because these workouts are far, far harder than I remember even given the jump in squat max I think my squat max changed ~30lbs. from the last time I did Sheiko back in the summer, so that definitely factors in too but damn.

Sometimes the volume can be tough to get back into. Alternatively, peg the numbers back a bit from a true max. My last 13 week cycle was run off sub-max numbers, especially on deadlift, and it worked out really well. I think the most important part of Sheiko is getting all your reps in with good form because it seems to work more on training the movement than the muscles. If you're flying too close to failure every workout your form is going to break down and you might not get that benefit.

Give it another week or so and see if you need to readjust.

• Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Pushed a sled for the first time, the dog sled from Rogue. Thing is amazing, definitely buying one. Started at 145 lb total on it and got up to 235 then scaled back down again and between the cold air ((I'm in the chicago area)) and the insane amount of work the thing makes you do it wiped me out. I wouldn't say it's harder then the conditioning I do for muay thai but it's up there with it, I'm definitely working it into normal rotation.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
    Emruggs wrote:

Sometimes the volume can be tough to get back into. Alternatively, peg the numbers back a bit from a true max. My last 13 week cycle was run off sub-max numbers, especially on deadlift, and it worked out really well. I think the most important part of Sheiko is getting all your reps in with good form because it seems to work more on training the movement than the muscles. If you're flying too close to failure every workout your form is going to break down and you might not get that benefit.

Give it another week or so and see if you need to readjust.

Working on it. By 6th workout, I actually meant the Week 1 Day 5 of #29. Usually I'm okay by the repeat of this workout, but this time it's just way harder. I'm pretty sure it's my food intake, because I did Sheiko during summer last time and I was eating much better then. I just eat more carbs now and less beneficial food because I have less money (if anyone has pointers for this, please point out, thx) and I'm trying to get carbs in. Obviously, I can eat healthier while gaining strength, I'm just having trouble balancing it with the "college" lifestyle. Hoping to gain some motivation for doing the proper thing.

steam_sig.png
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Emruggs wrote:
    I just eat more carbs now and less beneficial food because I have less money (if anyone has pointers for this, please point out, thx) and I'm trying to get carbs in. Obviously, I can eat healthier while gaining strength, I'm just having trouble balancing it with the "college" lifestyle. Hoping to gain some motivation for doing the proper thing.

Eat 6 eggs every day. They are very cheap and excellent for lifting. I eat around 1800 eggs a year now and was doing just about 2000 in my last year of college and right after graduating.

big l on
  • HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    big l wrote:
    Emruggs wrote:
    I just eat more carbs now and less beneficial food because I have less money (if anyone has pointers for this, please point out, thx) and I'm trying to get carbs in. Obviously, I can eat healthier while gaining strength, I'm just having trouble balancing it with the "college" lifestyle. Hoping to gain some motivation for doing the proper thing.

Eat 6 eggs every day. They are very cheap and excellent for lifting. I eat around 1800 eggs a year now and was doing just about 2000 in my last year of college and right after graduating.

The only downside to eggs is the relatively low protein content, even if it is 100-rated protein. The ones we buy are like 7g per egg.

Hamurabi on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Oh oh I eat 5 eggs for breakfast every day

I have no idea why everyone doesn't eat eggs all the time they are cheap as hell and have major nutritional value

Everyone who doesn't eat eggs can suck my dick

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    I ate eggs all the time until I got so goddamn sick of them. I started just hard-boiling them and shoving them down my gullet because I wanted to get through the terrible ordeal of breakfast as fast as possible.

Can't do it anymore. What's y'all's favourite way to cook eggs? Maybe I just oughta try a new method.

"Be excellent to each other."
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I had the same problem as you, I found that scrambled is the way to go. Put some hot sauce and pepper in it and just shovel it down. It's the least eggy way to eat egg and it's also the quickest way to cook them.

• hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Soy sauce goes really well with fried eggs, I cannot recommend it enough. Cheap as chips, and sorta healthy too.

• BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    For breakfast I usually fry about a 1/4-1/2 of a pound of sausage, cook about 4-5 eggs in the fat with pepper and paprika, extra fiber-y toast, and a banana.

This discussion has been closed.