As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DSLR cameras and where to get them on the "cheap"

TamTam Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have need of a digital single lens reflex camera for my dear uncle
just a beginner one
body + lens must be 300 USD or less
it can be used or refurbished

is this possible?

Tam on

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    check out KEH.com

camo_sig.png
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Yeah, keh.com or a local mom & pop camera shop with a used inventory.

$300 is going to be a little tough, though. If you could go to $450-500 then I think you'll find lots more options for used D40/D60 cameras (and the non-Nikon equivalents).

d70 and the 18-55 kit lens or the 50mm will be about 300 or under. and the d70 is way better then the d40/60

camo_sig.png
    Wow, really? Guess it's been a while since I've priced cameras; I had no idea it had gotten that cheap.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    hey awesome
    thanks mts

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Look for a D50, with a cheap starter lens, on Craigslist or eBay. If anyone is pricing a D50 and cheap lens above 300-400 (400 depending on lens) you are being ripped off. Something like this. I wouldn't bother with KEH; they've got D300's priced at nearly 1000 dollars, which is of course ridiculous.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited December 2011
    yea a d50 will work too, but i think the d70 or d70s will be easier to find.

you can also check out fredmiranda.com

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    I've had a ton of good luck on Amazon with this kind of stuff. Most of them are linked to used camera stores anyway.

The best/cheapest one I'm able to find is the Nikon D40 here. Lenses can get pricey. Depending on if you think he'll notice/his proficiency, you might be able to get him the body alone and than find a non-name brand lens to gift at the same time.

honestly though a d70 or d50 is way better then the d40 despite being an older camera

camo_sig.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to get a d70 body from KEH and hunt around for a lens
    thanks for the help everyone

• MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    If you're not averse to dealing with people on forums, the best prices and best condition equipment can be had at fredmiranda for both Nikon and Canon, POTN for Canon, and Nikonians for Nikon.

Some of these forums have changed their membership rules since I've used them, specifically in regards to their Buy/Sell forums. But all of them move tons of cameras and glass every month, and I've had nothing but success using them (I've bought and or sold a few grand worth of equipment through these).

If that gives you the heebie jeebies, though, your best bet is to cruise your local craigslist and take an experienced photographer with you to check the equipment out.

"Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
    Are you just going to be viewing it on a computer or emailing it? 1 megapixel is plenty.
    Are you going to be printing it, but not larger than 5x7? 3 is plenty.
    If you're printing it out at 8x10 and beyond, that's where going 6-8 megapixels and higher starts being needed.
    This chart clarifies it in more detail. If you look at the boxes that list "photo quality," that's where it's pretty much equivalent to traditional film resolution.

Short version: you pretty much don't need to consider megapixels in the equation when you're shopping for a camera nowadays. That Nikon D70 came out 7-8 years ago and it still has more than enough pixels for just about anyone.